[an error occurred while processing this directive] Lupin searching---Ishmael? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Maou
351th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"Lupin searching---Ishmael or others?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 20:34:post reply

So I've been trying to get ahold of some of the newer Lupin III specials and figured by your infintely excellent avatar that you might know, Ishamel, though anyone else who knows would be great, too!

It seems like the US companies are mostly bringing over the older Lupins, and I'm not sure about the fairly widespread Asian bootlegs' subtitle quality--I'd feel a little bad showing non-Japanese speaking friends an Engrish Lupin.... I've seen Episode 0 and Return of Pycal around occasionally on (SLOW) torrents, but no Alcatraz Connection, The Great Treasure Return, Stolen Lupin, or Hemingway Papers (older), or VHS copies. Any leads? Thanks much!

邪神モッコスよ、力を我に!!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 19 Sep 20:36]

Replies:

Ishmael
1645th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Lupin searching---Ishmael or others?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 11:42post reply

Since AFAIK nothing from 2001's Alcatraz on up has been licensed for US release I've been stuck with picking up the bootleg editions. I would love to ditch my copies for proper releases but since Funimation seems to be having trouble getting out the Lupin movies they currently have the rights to it may be for the best that they haven't been grabbed up quite yet. I could tell you my opinions on the movies you mentioned -or at least which ones didn't have totally wonky subtitle work- but I'm afraid I don't have a really good, single source for non-US Lupin stuff.

Maou
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Lupin searching---Ishmael or others?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 18:08post reply

Yup, had a feeling it'd be hard to find a good fansub of the newer stuff, too--so which of those movies did have the allright subtitles?

邪神モッコスよ、力を我に!!

Ishmael
1648th Post

"Re(2):Lupin searching---Ishmael or others?" , posted Tue 21 Sep 08:11post reply

quote:
Yup, had a feeling it'd be hard to find a good fansub of the newer stuff, too--so which of those movies did have the allright subtitles?

Let's see,

Alcatraz: Sloppy subtitles and they are buried so far down on the screen that they are hard to read. Considering how talky that movie is it makes for rough viewing in spots.

Episode 0: I'm not sure how accurate the subtitles are but they are pretty good considering the source. A fun movie featuring a lot of references to old episodes and everybody in the cast gets to beat up and/or talk trash to Keanu Reeves.

Pycal: The subtitles are fine but the OAV itself is total garbage.

Return the Treasure: The subtitles themselves only feature a few made-up words but most of the dialogue is stacked in two lines even if the second line of dialogue is from a scene that hasn't started yet. It makes for adventurous viewing, although the sight gags borrowed from various movies still work.

Hemingway Papers: Good subtitles for a fairly routine Lupin movie.

Finally, I haven't seen the latest Lupin movie yet.

Still, if you're looking to show some friends a Lupin story or two you could probably just show them Castle of Cagliostro or Fuuma Conspiracy since those are both fine Lupin stories and are avaliable domestically.

Maou
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Lupin searching---Ishmael or others?" , posted Tue 21 Sep 15:41:post reply

Thanks for the info, Jigen Ishmael, though a shame about Alcatraz. Luckily, this is a friend who's just as big a Lupin fan as I am, he just doesn't know Japanese, so I wanted to make sure to avoid sloppy ones like Alcatraz, especially since he's used to the quality Lupin Gang used to do. Cheers!

edit: I heard on Alcatraz that you can't read the subtitles at all unless you can adjust your TV's resolution, requiring a HDTV...is it possible at all with a normal TV?

邪神モッコスよ、力を我に!!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 21 Sep 17:18]

Ishmael
1650th Post

"Re(4):Lupin searching---Ishmael or others?" , posted Wed 22 Sep 11:08post reply

quote:
edit: I heard on Alcatraz that you can't read the subtitles at all unless you can adjust your TV's resolution, requiring a HDTV...is it possible at all with a normal TV?

On my no-definition television for most of the running time only the top half of the English subtitles can be seen. It's a far cry from what the late Lupin Gang used to put out.