[an error occurred while processing this directive] Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Iggy
4527th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 02:27:post reply

Atlus will show the sequel to Devil Tuna at the TGS.

And while I'm at it, Konami will show 4 games for the PSP.

...And SCE is making a new Card Captor Sakura game on PS2.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 15 Sep 02:28]

Replies:

Ammadeau
1152th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 03:07post reply

Your avatar really fits these news items.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Radish
2783th Post

"Re(1):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 04:23post reply

quote:
Atlus will show the sequel to Devil Tuna at the TGS.

And while I'm at it, Konami will show 4 games for the PSP.

...And SCE is making a new Card Captor Sakura game on PS2.

horay!

Now where is Persona 3?

Pollyanna
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 13:43post reply

Too soon! Too soon! I'm excited...but it's too soon!

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be just like the first game, so they'll recycle a lot and probably recycle more demons they didn't use from SMT3 the first time around.

As for Persona 3...as much as I would love to see it, I think Atlus would have to decide that they just need the money to do something like that. I'd like them to make a "sucessor" to Persona, though...because Avatar Tuner isn't it.

Nate
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 15:40post reply

quote:

As for Persona 3...as much as I would love to see it, I think Atlus would have to decide that they just need the money to do something like that. I'd like them to make a "sucessor" to Persona, though...because Avatar Tuner isn't it.

What do you think they should do for a successor?

I think what didn't work with Tuner is that they eschewed the modern-day Japan setting. That and some of the other elements of the game made it quite different from Persona.

Then again, I think maybe a setting closer to Devil Summoner or Soul Hackers could work. After all, there are connections to Persona characters in both games, as far as I know (moreso in Devil Summoner?).

Either way, whatever the successor to Persona is, I hope it'll get some more respect, because a lot of people trash it after playing a straight MegaTen game. It's still good in its own right, dammit!

I also hope there'll be some kind of successor to Maya Amano's weird-ass fashion sense.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Pollyanna
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 15:58post reply

quote:

What do you think they should do for a successor?

I think what didn't work with Tuner is that they eschewed the modern-day Japan setting. That and some of the other elements of the game made it quite different from Persona.

Then again, I think maybe a setting closer to Devil Summoner or Soul Hackers could work. After all, there are connections to Persona characters in both games, as far as I know (moreso in Devil Summoner?).

Either way, whatever the successor to Persona is, I hope it'll get some more respect, because a lot of people trash it after playing a straight MegaTen game. It's still good in its own right, dammit!

I also hope there'll be some kind of successor to Maya Amano's weird-ass fashion sense.

Avatar Tuner is just another SMT3...so...I'm not sure why people thought it would be the next Persona. When it was announced it was like "it has impressive cinemas and is voice acted" so everyone (me included) thought "Persona!".

I'm not a "real" Megaten fan *rolls eyes* because I like Persona best. I guess, other than the system, what makes Persona is its setting and characters that I can relate to. I liked the characters in SMT3 and Avatar Tuner, but they lacked the depth of the Persona characters and there was really no way I could relate to any of them.

I really like the SMT/AT fight system, but I don't want it to become the norm. If someone asked me what system gave me the best fights, I would, of course, have to say the SMT/AT system...but I just had more fun getting new Persona.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at here...hmmm...

war
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 17:09post reply

IIRC or if at all, didn't during the interviews of EP's extra disc, didn't they mention something about a more feudal setting [for persona or another megaten spinoff, I don't remember/where did I put that disc...]?
Regardless, that idea is excellent because it would hopefully insure an Arahabaki that isn't some damn robot.
Oh, and because I preordered some tuna, are a large percentage the enemies nakama from SMT3? Or just regulars like Nekomata and the frost brothers? Oh wait, maybe because there is a mouth moving while text is on screen and it is supposedly making a sound similar to human voice, I won't notice any reused things because of that nice architecture.

gg

Pollyanna
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 18:28post reply

quote:
IIRC or if at all, didn't during the interviews of EP's extra disc, didn't they mention something about a more feudal setting [for persona or another megaten spinoff, I don't remember/where did I put that disc...]?
Regardless, that idea is excellent because it would hopefully insure an Arahabaki that isn't some damn robot.
Oh, and because I preordered some tuna, are a large percentage the enemies nakama from SMT3? Or just regulars like Nekomata and the frost brothers? Oh wait, maybe because there is a mouth moving while text is on screen and it is supposedly making a sound similar to human voice, I won't notice any reused things because of that nice architecture.

I remember hearing something like that as well, but I got the idea it was just an idea they were throwing around.

Anyway, yes...most of the demons in AT are recycled SMT nakama. Well, maybe not "most". Maybe it's "half?" They changed Parvati's voice, though...which infuriated me.

war
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 19:27post reply

quote:
They changed Parvati's voice, though...which infuriated me.

Really? I didn't like her voice at all, but needless to say it was nowhere near Skadi level aweful.

gg

Ammadeau
1153th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 21:10post reply

quote:
Anyway, yes...most of the demons in AT are recycled SMT nakama. Well, maybe not "most". Maybe it's "half?" They changed Parvati's voice, though...which infuriated me.

More like 'almost all of them except for bosses' are recycled, even though they have a new move or two, and some have new voices. The death scream of the female demons in DDS is really annoying. Not as annoying as fighting the same boss three times, but still...

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Radish
2787th Post

"Re(5):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 22:06post reply

quote:

I'm not a "real" Megaten fan *rolls eyes* because I like Persona best. I guess, other than the system, what makes Persona is its setting and characters that I can relate to. I liked the characters in SMT3 and Avatar Tuner, but they lacked the depth of the Persona characters and there was really no way I could relate to any of them.

Likewise I'm more of a Persona fan than a Megaten fan for similar reasons. I'd like a third game to involve some of the previous characters while introducing new main ones (like what Persona 2 did with Be True to Your Mind Persona). And yes I know Ginko is in SMT3 but that really isn't the same.

Nate
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Wed 15 Sep 23:22post reply

quote:

Likewise I'm more of a Persona fan than a Megaten fan for similar reasons. I'd like a third game to involve some of the previous characters while introducing new main ones (like what Persona 2 did with Be True to Your Mind Persona). And yes I know Ginko is in SMT3 but that really isn't the same.

I hope what I posted didn't imply that I liked SMT more than Persona...I mean, I started out with Persona, and the character development is a lot more fleshed out than in SMT. The plot in each game is much more focused on the human characters than demons or ideals being pursued.

I think the problem most "purists" or whatever you want to call them is that they see Persona as easy, or at least easier than the main series. I won't deny that it pretty much is. But is that any reason to knock all the other aspects?

A 3D Ginko in a non-demo situation would be lovely. Only in the style of SMT3, though. Even better would be a 3D Maya or Ellie, but beggars can't be choosers. I wonder who they'd use to branch off into a new story...hmm.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Pollyanna
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Thu 16 Sep 00:41post reply

Well, I think a lot of people find Persona "juvenile" because it deals with young characters and life issues, rather than...erm...universal/spiritual issues. Megaten purists are (from my experience) really scary super intellectuals.

As for difficulty...well, Persona was NOT easy, unless you played the American one, which I assume most people here did. Innocent Sin was...erm...sinfully easy, though. Actually, that's the only thing stopping me from saying it's my favorite RPG ever. It was just too damned easy and you didn't have to make NEARLY enough persona. They totally wasted a good system.

Eternal Punishment, on the other hand, hada great system, but didn't have the character and story focus that IS did...AND the music wasn't nearly as good. So I have to say "together, they're the best RPG, but apart, they're flawed."

I'm not one to complain, though...so I'll take as many Avatar Tuners as they throw at me. It was no work of art in any way, but AT was still a good game, regardless of how it fell short of SMT3.

NARUTO
2663th Post

"Re(8):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Thu 16 Sep 00:45post reply

sorry stupid question but, How good is avatar tuned 1??

A friend is someone who truly knows you..
But who loves you anyway...

Iggy
4532th Post

"Re(8):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Thu 16 Sep 00:46post reply

I carefully try to not point again how the characters of Persona were all more stupid than the other in this thread, because I'm a nice person, so I'll just say that :
quote:
Really? I didn't like her voice at all, but needless to say it was nowhere near Skadi level aweful.

I kinda like Skadi's voice... It went well along with the design. My main grip with Skadi is that she was Skaha's (whose nmae I never managed to learn) evolved form, so I couldn't keep my favourite witch until the end of the game. I should create an über strong Skaha to go along with my überstrong Dyonisos. Fashion team, go !

And since I'm here : 4 classes of chaos XT have been revealed on the Imagine official site, datenshi, yoma, jaryū and akuryō. Very ugly demons here, nobody very interesting (except if you like the succubus) ; maybe the gaki is a little cute.

Variable Savior
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Thu 16 Sep 06:24post reply

quote:
As for difficulty...well, Persona was NOT easy, unless you played the American one, which I assume most people here did.

Having played the American releases of Revelations and EP I'm curious as to how the original versions were more difficult. What exactly was cut or watered down (i.e. Snow Queen Quest?)?

Blood marks heaven's path

war
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Thu 16 Sep 07:48post reply

quote:

I kinda like Skadi's voice... It went well along with the design. My main grip with Skadi is that she was Skaha's (whose nmae I never managed to learn) evolved form, so I couldn't keep my favourite witch until the end of the game. I should create an über strong Skaha to go along with my überstrong Dyonisos. Fashion team, go !

Everytime Skadi cast a spell it sounded like she was singing something from the opening of a Tomino show. "Galaxy megala". But it terms of following the Mrs. Frakenstein design, yes, I suppose the voice did fit rather nicely.

gg

Pollyanna
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2" , posted Thu 16 Sep 13:26post reply

Variable Savior: Eternal Punishment was the same. In terms of direct translation, I would also say it's one of the most true localizations I've seen. As for the first Persona...everything about it was made easier, if I recall. The enemies were made weaker, the items cheaper, the experience greater, and yeah...the Snow Queen Path (it's not so much like a subquest, it's like another game) was taken out.

Iggy/anyone else:
As I said before, SMT purists tend to be highly intelligent. I have found this almost without exception. My belief is that, because they are so intelligent, the Persona characters, who are like normal humans, are "stupid" and cannot be related to. Since I am not of abnormally high intelligence, I can relate quite easily to "stupid" characters.

So, I say the same to those who can relate to "stupid" Final Fantasy 7 characters....but the SMT elitists are the true Yosuga here.

Iggy
4540th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner " , posted Thu 16 Sep 14:06post reply

quote:
As I said before, SMT purists tend to be highly intelligent.

While I'm a true Yosuga, I'm neither a SMT purist (since I prefer SMT3 for purely cosmetic reasons) nor the other one. It's not the stupidity of the characters I don't like, it's their look and the way they are introduced, developped, in other terms, written. I just feel the writting in Persona and Soulhacker is weak. Plus I don't like the idea of interchangable stands.

We already have this kind of conversation, have we ?

war
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner" , posted Thu 16 Sep 14:52post reply

Yosuga is trash. Shijima is the only path.
quote:

I think you are mistaking intellence for an incredible tolerance for tedium mixed with wry arrogance. Sorta like an evil Jane Austen. How else can one mentally survive random encounters of one to five groups every three or four steps without the incredible joy of posting "muted elohim lol" on some internet bbs. Seriously though, the english speaking SMT cro, eh, fuck this, I just read Tuna1 has crap loads of puzzles in it. I wasted an entire day on that fucking crate game in SMT3, I am pleased.

gg

Pollyanna
524th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner" , posted Thu 16 Sep 15:04post reply

quote:
I just read Tuna1 has crap loads of puzzles in it. I wasted an entire day on that fucking crate game in SMT3, I am pleased.

It does NOT have crap loads of puzzles in it. I have no idea who told you that or why. There's ONE part of the game (Destiny Land) that has "puzzles". I mean, if you consider floor traps and invisible walls and such puzzles, then yes...it has craploads of puzzles....but that's just regular Megaten stuff.

And maybe purists aren't smart, I'm just incredibly stupid...but they're most certainly smarter than me. They know everything about everything and use big words.

Oh, and I'm sorry...

Naruto: Erm...Avatar Tuner is a good game, maybe even very good, but it's not nearly as good as SMT3, so...I can't possibly recommend it more than that.

war
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner" , posted Thu 16 Sep 15:16post reply

quote:
it has craploads of puzzles....but that's just regular Megaten stuff.

Well, crap. Lies and betrayal, and such. I guess I'll just go back to pushing around crates and cry.

gg

Iggy
4541th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner" , posted Thu 16 Sep 19:39post reply

quote:

Your lack of fashion sense will bring havoc and destruction upon your rotten soul.

war
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner" , posted Thu 16 Sep 20:08post reply

quote:

Your lack of fashion sense will bring havoc and destruction upon your rotten soul.

Receding hairlines shall be enforced.

Radish
2790th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner" , posted Thu 16 Sep 21:13:post reply

quote:

I think you are mistaking intellence for an incredible tolerance for tedium mixed with wry arrogance. Sorta like an evil Jane Austen. How else can one mentally survive random encounters of one to five groups every three or four steps without the incredible joy of posting "muted elohim lol" on some internet bbs. Seriously though, the english speaking SMT cro, eh, fuck this, I just read Tuna1 has crap loads of puzzles in it. I wasted an entire day on that fucking crate game in SMT3, I am pleased.

I agree with you regarding SMT hardcore purists (not fans; I don't think any SMT purists post here). They like to think they are all geniuses and that different tastes in RPGs/games in general proves their superiority, but I don't think that's quite the case.

EDIT: Jane Austem was originally designed as a torture device.

[this message was edited by Radish on Thu 16 Sep 21:17]

Iggy
4579th Post

"Official Site" , posted Fri 17 Sep 23:53post reply

Link Here

If the game was originally intended to be in two parts, and the final complete picture is interesting... who knows.

war
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Official Site" , posted Sat 18 Sep 05:22post reply

Mark danced furiously?