[an error occurred while processing this directive] "The Batman" - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

ZamIAm
1372th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

""The Batman"" , posted Sat 11 Sep 20:25post reply

Opinions so far? Seems decent--not excellent but certainly not crap. I think Bruce is a tad too happy but it was stated that they wanted a slightly lighter take. I think Freeze does look kinda lame, though surprisingly, I actually like the Joker's new look. I think the voice actor (forgot the name) needs to get used to the role but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess I'll give it a chance. I'm pretty sure most of the older fans will pretty much look at it once and then give it the finger (like X-Men: Evo...)

Side: Heh, Booster Gold was having a few Wile E. Coyote type moments there (JL:U).

Ignorance
Rules
Our
Nerdy
Dorks

Replies:

Baines
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):" , posted Sun 12 Sep 01:19post reply

Freeze looks like he has an iceburg for a helmet. Is his head encased in ice, or is it a helmet? Somewhat interesting that Catwoman looks to be using something loosely based off of her current costume. Despite being heavily changed, several people I've heard seem to like the new Joker.

Bruce's face looks like a cartoon Jackie Chan villian.

The combat in general has a very Jackie Chan Adventures look, which isn't always a good thing. The combat in JCA got repetative once they stopped trying to actually copy how Jackie would have done stunts in a movie.

The show as a whole made me think of the Adam West Batman, though there are parts of the intro that made me think of Scooby Doo. Bruce looks more like an Adam West-style actor than the "tough guy" look of B:TAS. I almost expect him to break out in a laugh or dance the Bat-tusi. The master of subtlety, Bruce has a flashing bat symbol on his PDA as an alarm. (Batman's utility belt has light-up bat symbols, but that is being worn as Batman.)

Even though the series is supposedly set in the "early years," Batman has perhaps the most established network of gadgets as any incarnation. Giant filled batcave, a transforming dumpster (how subtle) for his car to emerge from, and unless he was quite lucky for the entire episode then he has a complete network of passages throughout Gotham for all his vehicles. The early years thing seems to be mainly so that they can ditch Gordon and have Batman occassionally do something stupid.

Joker at first looks like a return to his psychotic personality, but he doesn't actually kill even with his gas, and does end up afraid of Batman eventually.

I'm afraid for future episodes. I'm afraid the Jackie Chan comparisons will only increase, and this will be a very "kid-friendly" attempt. I wouldn't say whether the two cops chasing Batman will become comic relief or become sidekicks, but they have a potential to end up a bit annoying.

Sano
1131th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 09:15post reply

I thought it was OK. 'Blanka Joker' was bizarre, but they set out to make him different than all other Jokers so they definitly accomplished that. I'm a big Fan of Jeff Matsuda (lots of Comics, Jackie Chan Cartoon Character Designs) so I enjoyed the look. I liked Joker's voice. It was like Mark Hammil's voice only creepier(but Mark Hammil IS Joker...) I'll be sure to watch 'The Batman' religously.

war
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 09:37post reply

I clicked on this thead hoping it would be about that guy that dresses up as Batman and climbs some building every other month protesting that his mail-order bride has custody of his kid so I thought I might as well post a run-on sentance.

gg

Riskbreaker
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 09:48post reply

Didn't everyone think it was fairly odd that Batman disposed the Joker gas in Gotham's harbor. Wouldn't that have polluted Gotham's water source and fishes??????

Sano
1132th Post

"Re(3):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 09:59post reply

I found it funny. I thought we were going to see 'Joker Fishes' again just like BTAS since they made a point to show Fish in that scene, LOL!

Ishmael
1634th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 10:41post reply

quote:
Didn't everyone think it was fairly odd that Batman disposed the Joker gas in Gotham's harbor. Wouldn't that have polluted Gotham's water source and fishes??????

Was the scene similiar to the first Burton movie where Batman saved Gotham from poison balloons by cutting them loose and letting them float off to bother some other city?

ZamIAm
1376th Post

"Re(4):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 10:45post reply

quote:

Was the scene similiar to the first Burton movie where Batman saved Gotham from poison balloons by cutting them loose and letting them float off to bother some other city?

It did seem like an almost direct homage to the movie.

Ignorance
Rules
Our
Nerdy
Dorks

Baines
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 12:55post reply

quote:

Particularly since he didn't know anything about the gas, which is why he needed a sample.

I guess he went on faith that his rebreather would protect him as well, even though he likely didn't know whether it even needed to be inhaled.

But this is supposed to be a younger and less experienced Bruce.

Grahf
252th Post

Copper Customer

"Batman vs. England" , posted Mon 13 Sep 16:06post reply

Link Here

Shin_ATproof
1121th Post

"Re(4):" , posted Mon 13 Sep 16:12post reply

My friends and I agreed that when we started to watch the show we pretty much said at the same time "Jackie Chan Adventures" because it looks like the animation team for that series worked on this show...which is certainly not a bad thing at all.

Batman living in the city? Not feeling it, he should be semi-reclusive.
New Joker? Love the character design(he fights now!yay!)but he doesn't have the cool voice by Mark Hamill.
New Batmobile? Not a cool as the older designs but at least it is better than the new live action batmobile.

I'll definitely watch the next few episodes but I hope the production quality doesn't go down.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Ryo2k
36th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):" , posted Tue 14 Sep 02:35post reply

I think tha this show has a chance to really get the essence of Batman. What I mean is not just the character but the whole point. I know it is for kids but people need to start seeing the Batman which is most often portrayed in the comics, the cold hard man who has a heavy burden and trusts very few people. Also the Joker (the best villian ever) shouldn't fight, because that isn't his style, he has always been the guy gets what he wants with out having to throw punches (with the exception of Jason Todd) I hope they do this right, but then again it is a show for kids.

The King of Fighters is the only game that matters it remains the constant; the only game worth putting your time into.

Baines
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):" , posted Wed 15 Sep 00:45post reply

quote:
I know it is for kids but people need to start seeing the Batman which is most often portrayed in the comics, the cold hard man who has a heavy burden and trusts very few people. Also the Joker (the best villian ever) shouldn't fight, because that isn't his style, he has always been the guy gets what he wants with out having to throw punches (with the exception of Jason Todd) I hope they do this right, but then again it is a show for kids.

For the first episode, Joker does plenty of fighting and is quite good at it. His schemes on the other hand were minimal at best. Making Arkham home was nice, but the balloon of gas has been done to death, and this wasn't even one of the decent versions.

As for Bruce/Batman, maybe it is the face, or the voice, or the animation style, but he doesn't seem cold, hard, or under a particularly heavy burden. It looked liked they tried to make him seem driven in a couple of spots, but it didn't really come off. He comes across as fairly lighthearted to me. As I think I said before, it feels about like the Adam West Batman. It's the look and animation as much as anything else.

As for trust, his best friend is not only a cop, but a cop who has been ordered to catch Batman. So so far, they haven't really given the option of trust.

ZamIAm
1377th Post

"Re(6):" , posted Wed 15 Sep 05:41post reply

quote:
I think tha this show has a chance to really get the essence of Batman. What I mean is not just the character but the whole point. I know it is for kids but people need to start seeing the Batman which is most often portrayed in the comics, the cold hard man who has a heavy burden and trusts very few people. Also the Joker (the best villian ever) shouldn't fight, because that isn't his style, he has always been the guy gets what he wants with out having to throw punches (with the exception of Jason Todd) I hope they do this right, but then again it is a show for kids.

Well, if you think about it, Joker is just starting out too. Until he gets a massive army of henchman, he has to go it alone and no one will want to work for him unless he manages to do something successfully.

Ignorance
Rules
Our
Nerdy
Dorks

Ryo2k
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):" , posted Thu 16 Sep 19:48post reply

I think the most important thing that the people making the show need to realize is that Batman has always been a person biggest enemy was crime and injustice, not the Joker, because no matter who the villian is they are never what Batman hates the most, they are all just representations. I think that they need to incorporate all of that in there. And another big thing is how much Batman is a troubled person, obviously because of the death of his parents. I feel like Batman's attitude is very important to making any Batman representation good. We will see with the passing weeks what they do with the characters and the show in general. Oh and I love The Edge's main theme for the show.

The King of Fighters is the only game that matters it remains the constant; the only game worth putting your time into.