[an error occurred while processing this directive] Duke nukem question? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

NARUTO
2375th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 02:04post reply

I know I'll maybe make some of you laugh with this but, did Duke Nukem 4 ever will be released in this century??
I mean did someoen have any info on it?

I've heard that the game were, re-worked from the begining 2 time, and that the company who makes it have changed, so...

Well if you have some info thanks!

A friend is someone who truly knows you But who loves you anyway...

Replies:

Undead Fred
1612th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 02:28post reply

quote:
I know I'll maybe make some of you laugh with this but, did Duke Nukem 4 ever will be released in this century??

I've heard that the game were, re-worked from the begining 2 time, and that the company who makes it have changed, so...

Man, that game is responsible for every shiver that goes up a game player's spine when they hear a developer say, "It will be released 'when it's done.'"

Those BASTARDS have been working on it for at LEAST 5 years. I'd say it's more like 7 years, but I could be wrong. I remember hearing Forever announced back when I had my old computer that couldn't handle parts of Duke Nukem 3D, if that says something. It's gone past the Duke Nukem fans saying, "Hey... we'd just like to play the game. Can you just finish it up and let us play?" to "F*** this game. I'm gonna go play something else" and forgetting all about it. Apparently, they ARE still working on the game, but the last time I saw a trailer for it was like 2 years ago. It makes me mad just thinking about it, though. I was a huge Duke Nukem 3D fan, and I was excited to hear of the sequel........... but I waited... and waited... and waited... and heard this "when it's ready/ NEVER" release date and lost all hope. I remember an April Fool's joke a few years back where they made some joke about "We've been spending all this time making DN Forever... for the Atari 2600!" and they had a fake cartridge and fake screenshots and stuff. It was pretty funny, but I was thinking, "Yeah, at this point, I'd even take that. JUST FINISH THE F***ING GAME, DAMMIT!!! I'd like to play it while I'm STILL IN MY TWENTIES."

If anyone's heard any updates, please let us know. I just picture the development team as just one guy- Sisyphus on a hill with a giant rock.

Manager- "Hey, Sisyphus, how's Duke Nukem Forever coming along?"
Sisyphus- "*GRUNT!* *ARGH!!* ...umm... it keeps... rolling downhill! I'll get it eventually..."

BLAGGO

Kaepora
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 12:47post reply

Ah, Duke Nukem 4 (get it? "Four"-ever?), butt of a thousand jokes.

At this point, you're probably not going to hear anything about the game officially until it's really ready. 3DRealms took a huge PR hit from the Duke Nukem Forever delays, and just decided to avoid saying anything about it other than it'll be done "when it's done."

I really don't think they deserve all the flak they've gotten though. Yeah, it was stupid to hype the game like that and then decide to scrap it all to change game engines [from Quake to Unreal]. But then again, you're almost forced to hype your product from conception nowadays. And at least they learned to stop hyping the game. Eventually.

That, and I feel that anyone that brings up DNF should probably include Team Fortress 2, Final Fantasy 12, and the PlayStation 3 in the conversation.

But that's me.

Juan
3997th Post

"Re(3):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 12:50post reply

eeeeh he he he he ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA
(`A`;)

quote:
Team Fortress 2

STFU

Radish
2573th Post

"Re(1):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 13:46post reply

quote:

I'm out of college. I remember one of my friends in my junior year of highschool talking about how cool Duke Nukem 4 would be when it was eventually released.

Personally I don't know why anyone cares anymore. I don't see what this game is going to do that the million other FPS games or Duke Nukem spinoffs haven't.

RugalBernstein
5062th Post

"Re(3):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 14:03post reply

I'm not even a fan of the series, but it's never going to be released. You see, every time they think they're getting close to completing it, a new and better engine comes out; thus, they scrap everything and start work again because they want it to be "cutting edge" when it comes out.

Best site EVER: Link Here

Undead Fred
1614th Post

"Re(2):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 17:18post reply

quote:

I'm out of college. I remember one of my friends in my junior year of highschool talking about how cool Duke Nukem 4 would be when it was eventually released.

Personally I don't know why anyone cares anymore. I don't see what this game is going to do that the million other FPS games or Duke Nukem spinoffs haven't.

I'm not even a fan of the series, but it's never going to be released. You see, every time they think they're getting close to completing it, a new and better engine comes out; thus, they scrap everything and start work again because they want it to be "cutting edge" when it comes out.

Yeah, I know. I wish they'd just commit to a game engine and MAKE THE GAME. It's not going to be perfect, it'll be cutting edge for only so long... so give us the game and let us play!

Yeah, this is one of those things that I forget all about until someone mentions it again and I think "Oh yeah!" and get irritated all over again... I've given up on ever playing it, so I don't care much any more... but I'm still irritated that they did that with the game. Because of DNF, I cringed when I heard the Doom 3 guys saying "it'll be out when it's ready" and all that... but at least they appear to be doing SOMETHING on that one (different company, I know, but that "when it's ready" had me worried).

BLAGGO

Radish
2576th Post

"Re(3):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 17:37post reply

quote:
Yeah, this is one of those things that I forget all about until someone mentions it again and I think "Oh yeah!" and get irritated all over again... I've given up on ever playing it, so I don't care much any more... but I'm still irritated that they did that with the game. Because of DNF, I cringed when I heard the Doom 3 guys saying "it'll be out when it's ready" and all that... but at least they appear to be doing SOMETHING on that one (different company, I know, but that "when it's ready" had me worried).

When ID says that though it's because they have to hook John Carmack up to his smartyfication ray so he can program 5000 pages of code a day. When the DNF guys say it, it's because George has spent the day drawing naked chicks on his palm pilot.

Ammadeau
996th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 20:09post reply

Duke Nukem Forver will come out, probably in 2005. It's gone from quake to unreal to their own game engine, but they finally settled in and are working on content. There's not many people working on it so it'll probably sell well enough to cover the costs in making it. Will it be worth playing when it comes out? No, Duke won't even have any dialogue since there hasn't been a new Evil Dead movie for them to rip off.

Updated when I can... which isn't very often. ^_^;;

Burning Ranger
795th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 20:42post reply

Well, 2004 will be the year of anticipated sequels, especially for FPSs (Doom 3, Half-Life 2). But Duke Nukem Forever...I can understand why the game has been in development for so long... I see Duke as one of those characters that is undeserving of a game that sucks--would you want to play a piss-poor game that has a badass character? I think everything has to be perfect.

And for the record, I loved all the homages to Evil Dead, They Live, and others.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

Radish
2578th Post

"Re(6):Duke nukem question?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 22:45post reply

quote:
Well, 2004 will be the year of anticipated sequels, especially for FPSs (Doom 3, Half-Life 2). But Duke Nukem Forever...I can understand why the game has been in development for so long... I see Duke as one of those characters that is undeserving of a game that sucks--would you want to play a piss-poor game that has a badass character? I think everything has to be perfect.

And for the record, I loved all the homages to Evil Dead, They Live, and others.

Considering the stuff I've heard that's been cut from this game that has become standard in FPSs I don't think it going to impress anyone when it's eventually released. Personanlly I have no idea how they've manages to survive for almost a decade without releasing their project.

NARUTO
2376th Post

"Re(7):Duke nukem question?" , posted Fri 4 Jun 01:28post reply

OK so no need to worry I'm sure now that a demo will be avalable at the E3 in 2007.
Still I'm curious to know what the game will look like....

A friend is someone who truly knows you But who loves you anyway...

Undead Fred
1617th Post

"Re(5):Duke nukem question?" , posted Fri 4 Jun 01:34post reply

quote:
Duke Nukem Forver will come out, probably in 2005. It's gone from quake to unreal to their own game engine, but they finally settled in and are working on content. There's not many people working on it so it'll probably sell well enough to cover the costs in making it. Will it be worth playing when it comes out? No, Duke won't even have any dialogue since there hasn't been a new Evil Dead movie for them to rip off.

Yeah, I'm sure the production costs are ridiculous at this point, just because it's been in development for so long.

As for his dialogue- personally, I'll miss the little one-liners if they take them out. Even if they're all Evil Dead lines or whatever, I still liked hearing them (at the time I was going through DN3D back in the day, I hadn't seen the Evil Dead series, so they were just Duke Nukem one-liners to me at that point). I thought that kind of became one of the Duke Nukem attributes- having dialogue. There were those sort of crappy PSX games, and even those had one-liners. I'll miss the little in-jokes and references and stuff if they take them out.

BLAGGO

Burning Ranger
796th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Duke nukem question?" , posted Fri 4 Jun 05:01post reply

quote:
I'll miss the little in-jokes and references and stuff if they take them out.

I agree... part of the Nukem allure are the one-liners.

"Don't have time to play with myself."

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

Omar
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Duke nukem question?" , posted Fri 4 Jun 07:43post reply

You should play Duke Nukem: Project Manhattan and pretend it's Duke Nukem 4.

That's what I'am doing.

Undead Fred
1642th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Duke nukem question?" , posted Mon 7 Jun 03:48post reply

quote:
You should play Duke Nukem: Project Manhattan and pretend it's Duke Nukem 4.

That's what I'am doing.

Heh heh. Yeah, I saw Project Manhattan on the shelf and got all excited for a second... then I realized that Duke Nukem Forever is only a DREAM...