[an error occurred while processing this directive] Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

VManOfMana
443th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Mon 31 May 15:27post reply

I made my order to Toranoana via Akibado, so I am still waiting for the package to arrive.

Meanwhile, has anyone gotten Re.ACT yet? Any impressions? What is different from MB? Any improvements in gameplay?

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Replies:

Spoon
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Mon 31 May 19:15post reply

quote:
I made my order to Toranoana via Akibado, so I am still waiting for the package to arrive.

Meanwhile, has anyone gotten Re.ACT yet? Any impressions? What is different from MB? Any improvements in gameplay?

The main installer is called "MeltyBlood ReACT SetUP.EXE". Cute.

Spoon
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Mon 31 May 21:54:post reply

quote:

I did not play Melty Blood very deeply (as opposed to my obsession with EFZ up until Blue Sky Edition), so I can't say anything about or not the game is mad broken or perfectly balanced. I can't even say that I played the last patch version of Melty Blood.

However, the game in ReACT feels a bit looser in a good way, some characters have gotten quite the overhaul, everyone is unlocked right from the get go, and there are two single player modes (the normal story mode, and another one where you get to pick your character and you go through some fights w/o the huge story sequences but with some pre-fight dialogue which EDITIS VOICED, my ears are tired). The new characters are cool. Brown-haired-girl (I forget her name) isn't quite up to her Glove On Fight level of PURE EVIL, but is nevertheless rocking. Shiki's had a bunch of his moves modified (for the worse...), and a bunch of his old ones have been shifted on to Shiki Nanaya (which is more or less his old self).

The characters don't look higher rez, but seem to be more zoomed-in.

All the nonsensical Engrish that was in the original is still in, plus some new additions: "Through the Looking-Glass,Fairy Tale transparently" [sic]

Nero is significantly more badassed that his original boss incarnation. In fact, his jumping fierce seems too good: huge HUGE reach (we're talking 40% of the screen if not more), multiple hits and lotsa hitting frames (makes for EASY attack parry), will send opponent flying backwards on counter-hit, great damage... if you get an anti-air counterhit on that first jumping fierce and your opponent isn't quick, you can do a 3-fierces combo for 12 hits and way too much damage for way too little effort. Did I mention that the hitbox is big enough for it to work as a zoning OR jump-in tool against campers on the ground? Crazy. Good thing some characters have very fast, very low dashes/runs...

The evil alternate versions, which were by and large clones of their original in the original Melty Blood, have gotten big overhauls. New supers, new specials, maybe a new normal here or there...

The big supers now work in two ways, if you didn't already gather it from the demo:
fill your gauge to full, and you enter Heat mode (which sees the gauge gradually deplete and your red damaged health slowly refill), during which you can do a Super via HCF+C. If you press d,d,d+D during Heat mode while standing on the ground, your character will do a burst (a la Matrimelee) and enter Blood Heat mode. Blood Heat mode refills the gauge and ticks it down again from the top, but at a much much faster rate and FIX for a duration dependant on how much was in the gauge when you activated from Heat mode. During Blood Heat mode, your red damaged health refills REAL fast (we're talking faster than Gill resurrection fast), and you can do a MAX Super via HCF+C. If plain old Heat mode runs out, it leaves you with about 2 levels of super, less if you did a Super during it. Ending Blood Heat mode leaves you with your super meter empty.

On the whole it's cool.

Maybe I should write a review.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 1 Jun 02:47]

Juke Joint Jezebel
2912th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Mon 31 May 22:05post reply

that's nice and all, but i think what we're all wondering is
how does Ren play?

Spoon
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Mon 31 May 22:25post reply

quote:
that's nice and all, but i think what we're all wondering is
how does Ren play?

She has a great crouching animation, but it doesn't beat Kohaku's.

VManOfMana
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Mon 31 May 22:54post reply

Hmmm. I find it strange that Tohno Shiki got toned down. My impression is that he was one of the worst characters (especially when it comes to mobility). And Nero got beefed up? WTF?

I have Melty Blood, but I never got that much into it compred to EFZ for the simple reason that I consider EFZ to be a lot better game in terms of both gameplay, balance, complexity (I really like the options added by the RF bar) and overall fun. I hope Re.ACT improves on this areas, since it is obvious that graphically it is superior.

So you used to play EFZ? It still is one of my main fighters with 3S and CvS2 (with GGXX going up the scale.) Did you just get bored of it or stopped playing after Bad Moon?

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Spoon
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 00:00post reply

quote:
Hmmm. I find it strange that Tohno Shiki got toned down. My impression is that he was one of the worst characters (especially when it comes to mobility). And Nero got beefed up? WTF?

I have Melty Blood, but I never got that much into it compred to EFZ for the simple reason that I consider EFZ to be a lot better game in terms of both gameplay, balance, complexity (I really like the options added by the RF bar) and overall fun. I hope Re.ACT improves on this areas, since it is obvious that graphically it is superior.

So you used to play EFZ? It still is one of my main fighters with 3S and CvS2 (with GGXX going up the scale.) Did you just get bored of it or stopped playing after Bad Moon?

I can't say that Shiki got toned down, because I don't have a very deep knowledge of the game at this point in time. I can say that he is clearly DIFFERENT, and leave it at that.

Forgive me for not having followed Tsukihime, but someone needs to enlighten me about Nero's name. Everyone, even on the official site updates, refers to him as Nero. In game, his name is some inutterable mash of consonants which feature an "N" at the beginning and an "r" somewhere in the middle. WTH?

Also, that Watanabe spinoff group needs work on their name, in consistency and technically. They alternately call themselves "France Pan" and "French Bread". FFS, I know the french word for "bread" sounds like "pan", but it's spelled "pain", and "french bread" should be like "pain franšais" (though that's a pretty literal way to say it)... "France Pain" might give potential viewers the wrong idea, I suppose, but that's outright WRONG in the first place. Maybe they figure that no one in Japan would understand what "franšais" means, so they wrote "France" instead. This is a job for Iggy, if no one else.

I don't know. I think it was because I just played it so damn much (I was playing it from release day!)... By the time the Blue Sky characters were finally ironed out, I had just about played myself out at that game... without ever really getting into the Blue Sky cast, even...

I still got Bad Moon Edition, if only for the novelty of having new characters. But I don't play it seriously anymore.

Heck, I played a lot as Sayuri even when she sucked in the old versions; slooow 45 degree dash anyone? I liked v1.30 (which was the last non-BSE one). I certainly like the character select screen and song better in vanilla EFZ.

MB has a lot on its side in terms of visuals(hojillion frames of animation etc.), but I don't think that I could clearly consider it to be better looking that EFZ, considering that EFZ has equally lucid special effects, solid animation, and very well done character sprites. It's got a solid, coherent look, at least within the characters and their moves (the menus suck, I know). There are times when the special effects of MB simply don't seem as well executed as EFZ, in spite of the fancy technical details (e.g. Party's Breaker sparks = pwn).

3S in particular has a strange effect on me. I don't end my session of it because I'm just tired, I end it because I'm sincerely tired of IT. Not many games give me that feeling, to its credit... or discredit.

CvS2 is kinda fun, but I get the feeling that I play it because the 3S people here are too good, and there's no working SFA3 machine. I mainly play it because it's just something else to play, not for any inherent quality it may have. I do know that prolonged play causes me to become more scrubby for some time.

And don't ask me about ST. CPU Fei Long owns me so hard it's depressing. I think more than half of my ST game is about tick throwing with Chun, sad eh?

Iggy
3451th Post

"Re(6):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 01:00post reply

quote:
This is a job for Iggy, if no one else.

This is why most of the french people don't laugh at the engrish madness all of you seem to love. Not only the Furanšais is everywhere in Japan (name of shops, reviews, etc) but it's 100 times worse than anything the worst engrish has to offer.
("Bouger hardiement, s'habiller sensiblement, il est de la France, c'est le Coq Sportif").

わかった
しんでも...いきてかえる

Kyouji
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 02:48post reply

quote:
c'est le Coq Sportif"

That is fucking hilarious.

Oh yeah, to stay on topic: Neko-Arc is a pain, but I still kicked her ass with Kohaku.

Spoon
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 02:56post reply

quote:
c'est le Coq Sportif"

I'm not kidding when I say that I saw that in my French textbook back in grade 11.

quote:

That is fucking hilarious.

Tell me this little play on words was intentional.

Zepy
822th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 03:11:post reply

quote:
Also, that Watanabe spinoff group needs work on their name, in consistency and technically. They alternately call themselves "France Pan" and "French Bread". FFS, I know the french word for "bread" sounds like "pan", but it's spelled "pain", and "french bread" should be like "pain franšais" (though that's a pretty literal way to say it)... "France Pain" might give potential viewers the wrong idea, I suppose, but that's outright WRONG in the first place. Maybe they figure that no one in Japan would understand what "franšais" means, so they wrote "France" instead. This is a job for Iggy, if no one else.

HIDDEN TRICK:
Read it in Japanese.

I want to see Aoko's LA, but how the hell do you ever get the computer to do an LA anyway!?

EDIT: Nero is how you pronounce his name, Nrvnqsr is how you write it. We just use Nero because it's easier to remember, and everybody knows how to pronounce it when you write it that way.

[this message was edited by Zepy on Tue 1 Jun 04:00]

Ammadeau
994th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 05:54post reply

This thread reminded me I never played the demo, so I tracked it down and... wow. I was prepared for something cool, but this was way beyond cool. It makes me want to buy the original game, this add-on and a decent gamepad for my PC, though I can't really afford any of that. I'd settle for any place but Himeya to buy the original from because $42+$15 s&h is more than a little steep.

Updated when I can... which isn't very often. ^_^;;

VManOfMana
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 09:41post reply

quote:
I'd settle for any place but Himeya to buy the original from because $42+$15 s&h is more than a little steep.

Try Akibado.

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Holiday
2345th Post

"Re(7):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 10:31post reply

quote:
I want to see Aoko's LA, but how the hell do you ever get the computer to do an LA anyway!?

Same here. I set the difficulty to max (5) and the CPU just goes for bigger combos and is still stingy with the LAs.
Kohaku's Magical Amber Missile has been severly toned down :(
OTOH, her cactus is actually more useful now.

Normal Akiha is still good (better?) now, so I'm happy.

Spoon
394th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 12:47post reply

quote:
OTOH, her cactus is actually more useful now.

Once when throwing plants, she shouted something like "Hey, Johnny!" and threw something that shot fireballs... unfortunately, she threw the thing off the screen so I couldn't see what it was :(
Thing is, after a few dozen more throws, I haven't been able to get her to throw that again... what's the req.? Or is it just luck?

Can someone tell me exactly what are all the uses for Hisui's chair? I know that if you stack a couple on a spot and start hitting your opponent against them, your opponent gets pushed back less (increasingly less with more chairs, it would seem), but I'm sure there has to be more to it than just that...

Phoenix
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 13:04post reply

Sorry to be off topic, but which one is the best version for EFZ? I know of Renewal, Blue Sky, and Bad Moon. I believe Renewal is the vanilla normal version.

"My only enemy is myself...and my ex-girlfriend and..."

Spoon
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 13:33post reply

quote:
Sorry to be off topic, but which one is the best version for EFZ? I know of Renewal, Blue Sky, and Bad Moon. I believe Renewal is the vanilla normal version.

I can't say that any one version is "best", aside from versions that had major game breaking bugs (Sayuri s.A counterhit Mio dashing low (B? C? can't remember) was an infinite in one patch ver -_-).

There is really nothing wrong with all the later editions. Once Blue Sky had the characters all worked out, they were pretty cool. Bad Moon makes the hidden supers more like MAX supers (you need to be in critical health in order to use them) and adds some more neat characters, in addition to completely changing some of the old characters for the better. If you can, I would recommend that you get all the way up to Bad Moon edition, because it's not like the characters they add will ever be lame. But if all you have is the original, it's not like that was ever a bad game, either.

VManOfMana
446th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 13:54post reply

quote:

Renewal is just a re-release of EFZ. I am not sure what patch it includes, as I got the first DVD case release.

Blue Sky added the AIR characters: Misuzu, Kano, and Minagi. Balance tweaks. New ultra cheap boss (Kanna - Air). New character select screen. Last version is 2.13.

Bad Moon added more characters: Doppel Nanase (ONE), Mishio and Kaori (Kanon) and Ikumi (MOON). Balance tweaks, I think more dramatic than the EFZ -> Blue Sky changes, especially Mai. Juggles toned down (less juggle time). Lv. 3-only supers require less than 33% life. New character select screen and bar looks (which I don't like that much). Air grab added. Guard bar moved next to Infinity and Reinforce bar (before it appeared below the character like the juggle stun bar.) New effects and sounds for lv. 1 and 3 supers (old fx is used for lv 2 only now). There is blood (Ikumi). Latest version (and possibly final) is 3.10.

Just by going by version numbers, Bad Moon is the latest version of EFZ, so that's the one I play: more characters and more balance tweaks.

The most dissapointing part of Bad Moon is the presentation, especially the new bars, although they give you a better idea of health status they just don't fit with the rest of the game (Black bars? WTF?) You might not like how Ayu and Mai got toned down (well, Mai needed that, her helper mixups were too effective). Problems like EX Mizuha's infinite float (dunno if it existed in Blue Sky) and Kanna's AI glitch were not fixed.

But overall, Bad Moon is very nice. The game improved things and did not get worse (except presentation) on what was not improved. Gameplay became more fun by adding even more variety with the new characters without breaking the game. Doppel Nanase is a especially nice addition because the game needed a grappler, and I don't think Nanase's command grab was enough.

In a few words, my perfect EFZ would be Bad Moon gameplay with Vanilla EFZ presentation.

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Spoon
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 14:04post reply

quote:
snip

Air throws are indeed big.
I remember in the early versions of EFZ, throws had puny puny range and did tiny damage.

I'd agree that Bad Moon ed. overall has the best gameplay. After all, it's the product of all those patch revisions.

The life bars and whatnot weren't the best looking in the original, so I wouldn't mind them getting a facelift. But I too miss the snowflake character select screen (it's in theme!) and that rocking select song.

VManOfMana
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 14:08post reply

Bad Moon edition also introduced an ugly glitch with Doppel Nanase and Akane, but it is fairly easy to avoid.

Also, anyone knows how to put EFZ in windowed mode or how can I take screenshots of the game?

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Phoenix
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 14:36post reply

Wow, much thx for the speedy and detailed responses. Looks like I may have to get them all. Anyways, I'm a bit of a presentation freak. This snow flake theme was from the original right? I hear Blue Sky theme/presentation has one of those optimistic happy overtone to it as well...in contrast to the rather dark mood of Bad Moon.

"My only enemy is myself...and my ex-girlfriend and..."

Spoon
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 15:57post reply

quote:
Wow, much thx for the speedy and detailed responses. Looks like I may have to get them all. Anyways, I'm a bit of a presentation freak. This snow flake theme was from the original right? I hear Blue Sky theme/presentation has one of those optimistic happy overtone to it as well...in contrast to the rather dark mood of Bad Moon.

There "presentation" in the EFZ games is kind of inconsistent to an extreme. The title screen has always been blah, the menus are between blah and ugly, etc. The fight intro flashes are FANTASTIC, though, as is the voice which calls out the rounds, the character names, etc.

Undead Fred
1603th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 20:21post reply

Man, every time I hear anything about Melty Blood, I think of something like this. Or that picture of the giant girl fighting the pasted-on dog photo...

BLAGGO

VManOfMana
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 21:36post reply

quote:

The snowflake theme for the bars and gauges is in both Vanilla and BlueSky. What is different is that in BlueSky the character selection is a column, while in Vanilla it is like a star/snowflake or something like that.

Still presentation is top-notch no matter which version, the problem of Bad Moon is just that it is too dark, and I personally don't like the color of the gauges in Bad Moon. I think it would look a lot nicer if it had a metallic white instead of a metallic black. And as someone said, the flashes and voice of the rounds and characters are top-notch. The lv-3 super animation of Bad Moon is top-notch as well, which includes a big light flash with feathers.

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

VManOfMana
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Tue 1 Jun 21:38post reply

Another question: CPU Kano seems to overuse a super where she puts some sort of moving light on the ground. What is the command of that super? What is it supposed to do? As far as I have seen it just moves forward but does nothing, it just goes thru you with no action (I am not talking about the shield super).

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

kagura
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 02:32:post reply

quote:
Another question: CPU Kano seems to overuse a super where she puts some sort of moving light on the ground. What is the command of that super? What is it supposed to do? As far as I have seen it just moves forward but does nothing, it just goes thru you with no action (I am not talking about the shield super).

It's her lightning bolt super.If you hold down the button it'll travel untill it goes off the screen or if you release it.

[this message was edited by kagura on Wed 2 Jun 02:57]

Zepy
825th Post

"Re(8):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 02:56post reply

None of the hidden characters have an LA! Aside from Neko Arc, who just does her super. And Seven Ciel, she can't even do anything aside from doing her nanako supers.

And none of them are complete characters either, not unlockable by any means.

Also, Len is voiced by Laharl's voice actress.

VManOfMana
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 08:27post reply

Zepy, Spoon: is there any way I can contact you (AIM, e-mail, whatever)? I would like to make an important request ASAP.

You can send me your contact information by email. I am the fifth person here: http://www.cs.utep.edu/DeptCS/people/Falltas/tapage.html

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Spoon
403th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 11:59post reply

quote:
Zepy, Spoon: is there any way I can contact you (AIM, e-mail, whatever)? I would like to make an important request ASAP.

You can send me your contact information by email. I am the fifth person here: http://www.cs.utep.edu/DeptCS/people/Falltas/tapage.html

Sent.

Spoon
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 18:12post reply

quote:
None of the hidden characters have an LA! Aside from Neko Arc, who just does her super. And Seven Ciel, she can't even do anything aside from doing her nanako supers.

And none of them are complete characters either, not unlockable by any means.

Also, Len is voiced by Laharl's voice actress.

Speaking of hidden characters, is it possible to play as that spam master Aoko, or is she CPU only?

I need to make a gif of her monster beam super...

Saiki
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 20:42post reply

I doubt any of the four hidden characters are playable at this point yet. I'm guessing they'll be playable after a couple of patches like Nrvnqsr(Nero) Chaos was

Burning Ranger
794th Post

"Re(1):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 20:43post reply

Started playing it yesterday for a little bit. A lot of changes have been made, especially to my beloved Kohaku. Her flying molotov bombs are harder to execute now. But overall, the game looks interesting. Can't wait to try the new characters (wasn't Satsuki in the anime?).

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

VManOfMana
455th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Wed 2 Jun 21:42post reply

quote:
Can't wait to try the new characters (wasn't Satsuki in the anime?).

She was, but her story got so changed that you cannot use the anime as a reference at all

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

She was in the hotel when Nvrqsr attacked, became a Vampire, and Shiki killed her.

End of Spoiler

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Zepy
826th Post

"Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 03:04post reply

quote:
Speaking of hidden characters, is it possible to play as that spam master Aoko, or is she CPU only?

I need to make a gif of her monster beam super...

You could, but not through normal means. You got to play with the memory values.

Do I still need to send an email...?

Spoon
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Thu 3 Jun 19:32post reply

quote:

You could, but not through normal means. You got to play with the memory values.

Aww. RAM hack time...

BTW are all the ending dialogues in the alternate single player game original to ReACT, or did they come from elsewhere (e.g. the Tsukihime game, etc.)?

Interesting game decision: throws never permanently remove health; all throw damage is always "red" damage (i.e. recoverable).

Retarded AI: the AI for this game is as bad as, well, the AI for most of their previous games. Try fighting boss Len in the alternate single player mode by holding crouch and mashing A. It works better than it should.

Universal opening?: Is there a better way to start the match than holding towards against your opponent and mashing for a throw? Because it will beat most any normal move that they can throw, and I don't think most are going to gamble an EX move right off.

And can anyone tell me what Aoko is blabbering about when you beat her (in a round)? It sounds funny.

*insert joke about the girls in Heat*

VManOfMana
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Melty Blood Re.ACT impressions?" , posted Fri 4 Jun 00:04:post reply

Zepy: the e-mail is not needed. Thanks anyways.

Spoon: BIG THANKS.

---

The MB to MB ReACT upgrade is very noticeable. ReACT may actually beat EFZ as *the* doujinshi fighting game.

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

[this message was edited by VManOfMana on Fri 4 Jun 00:05]