[an error occurred while processing this directive] Happy Comic Book Memories - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Luisinan
908th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Sat 29 May 22:14post reply

Hey All,

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we post some of our fondest comic book memories. What I mean exactly is to post about an exciting time in your life when you couldn't wait for your favorite comic books to be released. Or it could just be some other type of fond memory about comics. I'll start off ;)

Now that I think about it, there have been various 'exciting' comic book periods in my life (especially because in the 90s Marvel loved to do super hyped events all the time). But anyway, the most memorable one when I was young had to be the Age of Apocalypse storyline that ran through the x-men books in probably the winter of 1995. I still couldn't drive a car (I was 15!) and there was a comic book shop about 4 blocks from my high school. Every week that winter, I'd eagerly walk off campus on Thursday during lunch period and get my weekly cache of Marvel books. And it was the x-men books that I looked forward to the most.

The Age of Apocalypse was just a real fun and magical event at the time (nothing as rivaled it thus far IMO.) Everything was new even though a lot things were the same. And everything felt real dangerous and real suspenseful because this was a crossover in an alternate universe, therefore, people could die in the book and stay dead. And you did care for the characters too. And there was just all those unexpected twists. Like how Havok and Cyclops worked for Sinister. Cyke eventually left but then Havok betrays him. I like Havok, but it made a lot of sense to me that he would betray his brother-- being resentful that he was the 'nobody' Summers kid.

Anyway, I kinda miss those cold winter days. Ah nostalgia. The closest thing I get to that now is when the second volume of the new Transformers comic was released last year. I got really hyped on that. The storyline wasn't 'earth shattering' but still very exciting. I really couldn't wait to see what happens next.

Ah memories...

Bored? "160"

Replies:

Omar
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"A-Ko" , posted Sun 30 May 01:37post reply

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but when I began collecting american comics, one of the first I got was the Project A-Ko adaptation by Ben Dunn.

For a long time, to me, that was the best comic book to ever exist in this planet.

Sadly, only I and another friend used to think that, so no comic store would order enough copies of the remaining issues of the mini series. So, I ended up only with number one and two, of the three.

In the birthday of the friend I mentioned before, I decided to give him my copy of #2, because I realised that I would never finish the series and, well, he really liked it, too.

I remember him asking "Do you have a copy for yourself?!" and I lied, told him I did.

Fast forward about, I don't know, four years later? And in a comic convention, in a backissue bin, quite cheap, I found number three. I did try to find another copy of number two for me, but never could.

Of course now I know better about comics/manga/tebeos/comiquitas/whatever fancy/marketing name you choose for your Sequential Art. But, you know, that time was kind of cool.

If it wasn't so late, and I wasn't so tired, I would post much more about this. Those early 90's were fun for a while.

Iggy
3434th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Sun 30 May 01:55post reply

quote:
What I mean exactly is to post about an exciting time in your life when you couldn't wait for your favorite comic books to be released.

When I was younger, maybe 10 years ago, I used to wait for the next volume of X and Bastard!!, and now I'm old and I lost faith in humanity.

わかった
しんでもいきてかえる

Nate
194th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Sun 30 May 01:56post reply

quote:
When I was younger, maybe 10 years ago, I used to wait for the next volume of X and Bastard!!, and now I'm old and I lost faith in humanity.

Just how old are you, dear Iggy?

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Iggy
3435th Post

"Re(3):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Sun 30 May 01:58post reply

quote:

I'm old enough to have seen an age when you could actually believe those 2 series would eventually be ended someday !

わかった
しんでもいきてかえる

Hungrywolf
2806th Post

"Re(1):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Sun 30 May 10:49post reply

quote:
Hey All,

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we post some of our fondest comic book memories. What I mean exactly is to post about an exciting time in your life when you couldn't wait for your favorite comic books to be released. Or it could just be some other type of fond memory about comics. I'll start off ;)

Now that I think about it, there have been various 'exciting' comic book periods in my life (especially because in the 90s Marvel loved to do super hyped events all the time). But anyway, the most memorable one when I was young had to be the Age of Apocalypse storyline that ran through the x-men books in probably the winter of 1995. I still couldn't drive a car (I was 15!) and there was a comic book shop about 4 blocks from my high school. Every week that winter, I'd eagerly walk off campus on Thursday during lunch period and get my weekly cache of Marvel books. And it was the x-men books that I looked forward to the most.

The Age of Apocalypse was just a real fun and magical event at the time (nothing as rivaled it thus far IMO.) Everything was new even though a lot things were the same. And everything felt real dangerous and real suspenseful because this was a crossover in an alternate universe, therefore, people could die in the book and stay dead. And you did care for the characters too. And there was just all those unexpected twists. Like how Havok and Cyclops worked for Sinister. Cyke eventually left but then Havok betrays him. I like Havok, but it made a lot of sense to me that he would betray his brother-- being resentful that he was the 'nobody' Summers kid.

Anyway, I kinda miss those cold winter days. Ah nostalgia. The closest thing I get to that now is when the second volume of the new Transformers comic was released last year. I got really hyped on that. The storyline wasn't 'earth shattering' but still very exciting. I really couldn't wait to see what happens next.

Ah memories...

When I first starting collecting comics it began around the time of X-men #1 (which later became New X-men and is now X-men again). Anyway, I loved the book and Jim Lee's art was great and made a lasting impression on me as far as comic book art (I'm rather partial to Jim Lee, Michael Turner, and Josh Middleton now). Well, anyway, I loved the books and the writing and then later new writers destroyed characters I loved and screwed up a lot of things. One of my favorite moments though was the wedding of Scott and Jean. I hate everything Morrison did on New X-men and now with the re-load I think I'm gonna really get into it again (I did keep up with Uncanny X-men and X-treme X-men). I'm very glad Claremont's returned to Uncanny and I think his new Excalibur will be good. I've also begun to get into a lot of new good stuff like Batman/Superman, Teen Titans, Batgirl, Robin, and NYX is finally continuing now. Right now is another big time in comic books for me. Now I'm waiting for Jean to come back...

"no again my apoligizes for anyone i offend!!!!!"
Hungry Like the Wolf

Spoon
382th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Sun 30 May 17:53post reply

quote:
When I was younger, maybe 10 years ago, I used to wait for the next volume of X

So this is the truth: he was corrupted at an early age.

I buy comic books once, don't buy them again for a few years, and then maybe buy them again. Whenever I do get them, there's always some huge sense of, "OMG this is so great!!!"... the last comic issue I bought was Scud the Disposable Assassin issue something or another, where Scud and Sussudio hop into a medieval era and enjoy much hilarity. I had thought about getting the one where they end up in Heaven somehow, but I figured that my folks would take great offence with it, so I decided against it... but that monster truck labelled "Pillar Breaker" was too funny.

However, I have recently very much wanted to buy Dreamwave's Transformers (NOT Armada) stuff, which features stuff that looks so good even on a panel per panel basis that I'd want to buy it even if the storytelling sucked. Plus, Dreamwave is Canadian, and when something that good comes out of your homeland, you have to feel proud. I don't think I've been so enthused about comic books in a good while.

Toxico
3663th Post

"Re(4):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Wed 2 Jun 10:57post reply

quote:
I'm old enough to have seen an age when you could actually believe those 2 series would eventually be ended someday !

But why do you lose faith my friend??? It's obvious that when the respective authors of the comic books drop death someone else related to them will take the name and finish the story in a satisfactory fashion.

For the record the comic book industry here was way different. Before the 90's I remember that a argentine company made a compilation of "the pheonix saga" on the original X men.... I was so damn thrilled, I never missed a volume of their compilations.

Tekkenshu -> Los movimientos que nunca existieron y siempre quisistes tener!

Ishmael
1436th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Thu 3 Jun 08:51post reply

I still remember how much fun I had hunting down old issues of Flaming Carrot Comics when I was younger. The mix of comic book and general Americana kitsch, working class strangeness, and general surrealism was a great combination. For me, the best of the bunch was issue 14. The issue chronicles a single night as the Carrot patrols the city and encounters gangsters, monsters, and bimbos. But running throughout all the wacky mayhem was a sense of sadness and loss which made the jokes have a sense of melancholy to them. If I felt the need to stick the story into some sort of genre pigeonhole I would say that the comic achieved a sense of magical realism, in which a story about a man wearing a carrot mask with flame shooting out the top could show how life can be nothing but a series of fleeting, futile attempts at happiness. The quality of the series went down the tubes shortly thereafter but the memories of that issue still stay with me.

Sano
642th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Happy Comic Book Memories" , posted Thu 3 Jun 09:56post reply

X Manga is still foing on? WHOA... at least we have two very distinct endings in the Animated Movie and the TV Series.

US COMICS - Well, my number one Comic Book Event was X-Men's Inferno. Mostly because Mr. Sinister wreaked havoc and became my favorite X-Men Villain, but sadly he is very underused nowadays. Also, Inferno happened in New York where I live and had real life Statues come to life along with Demon's running loose. Sniff, sniff, it was beautiful man!

Wolverine loosing his Adamantium, and Wolverine's Origin revealed. Two things I never thought I'd see.

Venom's introduction into Spider-Man. He owns.

Batman's Hush Storyline - Lots of surprises and twists kept it interesting!

While the US SF Comic hasn't done anything too big, it wound up not sucking and has become my favorite Comic, so I'll put the fight with Gouki and Nash's fight with Vega as one of the top comic book events.

UK - Read the From Hell Comic! You will thank me later! I don't hate the Live Action Movie but the Comic is much better and will have you re-evaluate your whole perspective on life! Maybe not, but trust me - read it!

HONG KONG COMICS - Storm Riders owns, and for some reason I don't hate the SVC Hong Kong comic as much as all the other Hong Kong Video Game Comics, even if Ryu gets beat up a lot. He still comes out strong in the end though.

Manga - Nothing beats Sagara Sanosuke's "Back of the Man" storyline in Rurouni Kenshin. He really showed that he can carry a story by himself, but I suppose he doesn't meet the Shonen Jump requirement of being a lovable winner so I don't expect him to get his own series anytime soon. Also, the fight with the Ten Swords in Kenshin is still my favorite Anime/Manga fight of all time. The Fight with the Six Comrads was cool too, but not as much as the Ten Swords. Toss in all of Masahiko Nakahira's SF Mangas in here too for favorite Mangas.