[an error occurred while processing this directive] Gyakuten Saiban in the US!? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

OYashiroForever
766th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Fri 28 May 12:17post reply

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but rumor has it that Capcom is strongly considering bringing Iggy's fav GBA lawyer game to the US for great justice.

Here's to hoping...

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Replies:

Iggy
3415th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Fri 28 May 14:26post reply

I hope the translator is being payed with Chihiro's mamary implants for this.

わかった
しんでもいきてかえる

Burning Kyo
2105th Post

"Re(2):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Fri 28 May 14:38post reply

quote:

Who's Chihiro ?

[Live fast // Die young]

Radish
2563th Post

"Re(1):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Fri 28 May 15:11post reply

quote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but rumor has it that Capcom is strongly considering bringing Iggy's fav GBA lawyer game to the US for great justice.

Here's to hoping...

Oh Capcom, I can't stay mad at you

DarkZero
802th Post

"Re(3):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Fri 28 May 15:26post reply

quote:

Who's Chihiro ?

A female lawyer with a nice rack from Gyakuten Saiban.

quote:

Here's to hoping...

I'm hoping too, but I'm not getting my hopes up TOO high. Gyakuten Saiban is so popular among importers that a domestic release is a pretty easy rumor to spread around. And I've yet to see any evidence of this, such as at the Patent and Trademark Office website.

Iggy
3417th Post

"Re(3):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 01:04post reply

quote:
Who's Chihiro ?

A BIG breasted character.
But if they localize the game, they will have to adapt A LOT, like, change all the names and even some of the riddles. What will be left after that ?

わかった
しんでもいきてかえる

Fuchikoma
1001th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 02:25:post reply

quote:

But if they localize the game, they will have to adapt A LOT, like, change all the names and even some of the riddles. What will be left after that ?

In a promotional deal with Adult Swim and Cartoon Network they will add in Harvey Birdman Attourney at Law... and then they will re-release the game in japan as the international verion with the Torijin. Heh... but it does seem to be coming to the US... Capcom has filed the paperwork.

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Sat 29 May 02:30]

DarkZero
803th Post

"Re(4):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 10:45post reply

quote:
Who's Chihiro ?

A BIG breasted character.

I'm not as afraid of intentional changes as I am of unintentional ones. Capcom of America's translation quality in games like Devil May Cry, Megaman Zero, and Megaman Zero 2... Well, let's just say that I wouldn't want to try to solve any riddles with it. CoA's translations are riddles in and of themselves.

Fuchikoma
1001th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 11:31post reply

I dunno... their Breath of Fire translations are pretty good. I just don't know what kind of market there will be for a game like this... afterall in the US the GBA is considered mostly a child's toy.

Ishmael
1421th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 13:19post reply

quote:

I have no idea but I intend to buy it and find out.

Spoon
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 17:54post reply

quote:

I have no idea but I intend to buy it and find out.

So it actually IS coming out?

I wonder if they're going to:
1.) Render it as literally as possible into english.
or
2.) Just cut out everything that's hard to translate.
or
3.) Take the Samurai Pizza Cats approach and throw out the original game scripts, writing something completely different but unbelievably good, resulting in a total alienation of the original fans and the mass love of everyone who didn't receive proper exposure to the original.

KaiketsuZubat
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 20:45post reply

quote:

Here's to hoping...

Hm.. I smell the Law and Order franchise in use here... j/k.. actually no, that's my secret game idea, to have a Law and ORder game play out like Gyakuten Saiban.. anime style Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterson would be badass :)

"Waga shougai ni ippen no kuinashi!"

Radish
2566th Post

"Re(6):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 20:49post reply

quote:

3.) Take the Samurai Pizza Cats approach and throw out the original game scripts, writing something completely different but unbelievably good, resulting in a total alienation of the original fans and the mass love of everyone who didn't receive proper exposure to the original.

Someday my master plan will be complete and a dual language DVD of Samurai Pizza Cats will be released.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
PRISONER ISLAND

End of Spoiler

DarkZero
805th Post

"Re(7):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sat 29 May 22:22post reply

Slashdot Games listed the trademark number in there story. You can either find it here (if the link actually works) or search for tradermark number 78416207. It was filed by Capcom on May 10th and it seems to be retaining the name "Gyakuten Saiban", which was kind of surprising until I searched for "Capcom" and noticed all of those Onimusha trademarks. And again, if the link works, here's a list of Capcom's trademarks from a search. And yes, for those who can't find it (like I couldn't at first), the patent is functionally similar to Capcom's recent patents, so it's not a case of someone playing with us via the overburdened and somewhat inept PTO.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what is Jedah's Damnation? It's a February 1997 trademark that was abandoned in August of 1998.

Iggy
3431th Post

"Re(8):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sun 30 May 01:44post reply

quote:
Oh, and just out of curiosity, what is Jedah's Damnation? It's a February 1997 trademark that was abandoned in August of 1998.

(breaks in tears)

わかった
しんでもいきてかえる

DarkZero
806th Post

"Re(9):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sun 30 May 01:59post reply

quote:

(breaks in tears)

Alright, Iggy's response convinced me to wade through Google's eternally useless video game search results. But now I have a new question. Why is Vampire Savior 2 "known as Jedah's Damnation in the west" if it's never been released outside of Japan? Did they attempt to advertise it and then pull back?

Iggy
3436th Post

"Re(10):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sun 30 May 02:07post reply

quote:
Why is Vampire Savior 2 "known as Jedah's Damnation in the west" if it's never been released outside of Japan?

Is It? Isn't it possible that, like the MVS, when you put the cart in a western machine, the game automatically changes the text to the language of the country ?

わかった
しんでもいきてかえる

Spoon
380th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sun 30 May 03:45post reply

quote:
Someday my master plan will be complete and a dual language DVD of Samurai Pizza Cats will be released.

I will be there when that day comes, shouting "MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!" in the streets.

OYashiroForever
767th Post

"Re(10):Gyakuten Saiban in the US!?" , posted Sun 30 May 10:42post reply

quote:
Alright, Iggy's response convinced me to wade through Google's eternally useless video game search results. But now I have a new question. Why is Vampire Savior 2 "known as Jedah's Damnation in the west" if it's never been released outside of Japan? Did they attempt to advertise it and then pull back?

Vampire Savior 1 was renamed Darkstalkers 3: Jedah's Damnation for its US arcade release. Well... for some of the machines anyway.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."