[an error occurred while processing this directive] Shrek 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Burning Ranger
779th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 17:09post reply

Went to see Shrek 2 with a friend yesterday. Not quite as good as the original, but still very good and hilarious. I loved all the in-jokes. Excellent movie--a must see.

Now, spoilers (including a game related one):

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
- Fiona does a Shoryuken, seriously.
- Human Shrek looks like a cross between Mike Meyers and a fat-chinned Bruce Campbell.
- Pinnochio wears a thong.

End of Spoiler

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

Replies:

GekigangerV
916th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 18:15:post reply

quote:
Went to see Shrek 2 with a friend yesterday. Not quite as good as the original, but still very good and hilarious. I loved all the in-jokes. Excellent movie--a must see.

Now, spoilers (including a game related one):

I thought this movie was hilarious. I never saw the first one though. This brings Mike Myers up a few places after The Cat in the Hat.

It was a Spinning Bird Kick into a Shoryuken I believe.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 20 May 18:16]

Luisinan
890th Post

"Re(1):Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 18:53post reply

@#$! I shouldn't have read the spoilers.

D A M N I T!

Bored? "160"

Dr Baghead
3025th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 19:04post reply

quote:

D A M N I T!

Are you joking?

You spoiled the ending of Kill Bill Vol.2 because you were "to lazy to use spoilers" and "people should have expected spoilers in this thread" but are upset you read a major spoiler that was hidden in this one? ZANY!

Luisinan
891th Post

"Re(3):Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 19:46post reply

quote:

D A M N I T!

Are you joking?

You spoiled the ending of Kill Bill Vol.2 because you were "to lazy to use spoilers" and "people should have expected spoilers in this thread" but are upset you read a major spoiler that was hidden in this one? ZANY!

I was upset with myself.

quote:

I didn't think reading spoilers in this case would have ruined my enjoyment of the movie. But now I wish I hadn't. It would have been a nice surprise.

Unless it says "review" in the title, I expect movie/game/manga/anime threads to have spoilers in them.

Bored? "160"

Dr Baghead
3026th Post

"Re(4):Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 20:21post reply

quote:
I didn't think reading spoilers in this case would have ruined my enjoyment of the movie. But now I wish I hadn't. It would have been a nice surprise.

Unless it says "review" in the title, I expect movie/game/manga/anime threads to have spoilers in them.

still you gave away something that could have ruined ones enjoyment of KBv2.

And the Shrek 2 spoiler isn't even one they tried to hide I mean. If you've seen the toys or commericals it could be guest something like that would happen... and if you've seen any of the kid's books based on the movie it's spelled out for you in interesting little "movie stills ran through an 'oil paint' filter" pictures

End of Spoiler

Altimus
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Shrek 2" , posted Thu 20 May 20:41post reply

quote:
spoilers

Best spoilers ever. Now I have to see it this weekend.

Sano
611th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Shrek 2" , posted Fri 21 May 14:08post reply

Bah, I can't stand Shrek because they have Eddie Murphy, the only Black Guy being the voice of A JACKASS OF ALL THINGS! That's just Racist as Hell. Damn, as if Eddie Murphy didn't do enough damage and affend everybody by making the PJS. Someone tie Eddie Murphy to a chair and make him watch Bamboozled, please!

Radish
2523th Post

"Re(4):Shrek 2" , posted Fri 21 May 14:17post reply

quote:
Bah, I can't stand Shrek because they have Eddie Murphy, the only Black Guy being the voice of A JACKASS OF ALL THINGS! That's just Racist as Hell. Damn, as if Eddie Murphy didn't do enough damage and affend everybody by making the PJS. Someone tie Eddie Murphy to a chair and make him watch Bamboozled, please!

HAHAHAHA

Treepull Aitch
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Be good...." , posted Sun 23 May 07:08post reply

When the Godzilla Gingerbread Man sinks, it goes "Be good". Which movie is that from?

End of Spoiler

And in other news, Shrek 3 has been given the green light by Dreamworks, along with Shark Tale 2.

And Ryu said unto Kyo and unto Sol and even unto Cable No man may surpass me for I am the Alpha and Omega the Beginning and the End; I am the King of Fighters. - Ken 6:22

Burning Ranger
784th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Be good...." , posted Sun 23 May 09:10post reply

quote:

And in other news, Shrek 3 has been given the green light by Dreamworks, along with Shark Tale 2.

ET The ExtraTerrestrial

End of Spoiler

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

Hungrywolf
2793th Post

"Re(2):Be good...." , posted Sun 23 May 13:11post reply

I liked Shrek 2 more than the first. Just saw it last night. My favorite addition was Puss n' Boots.

"no again my apoligizes for anyone i offend!!!!!"
Hungry Like the Wolf

Dr Baghead
3030th Post

"Re(1):Be good...." , posted Sun 23 May 13:19post reply

quote:

Shrek 3 I can understand... but Shark Tale 2 already?!

The first one isn't even out yet, that's taking a HUGE risk like if they had decided "Hey! Prince of Egypt did decently, let's greenlight sequels to Road to El Dorado, Sinbad, and Spirit while we're green lighting PoE's [direct to video] sequel!"

[Is Bias since he thinks Shark Tales look like crap; anthropomorphized fish are just plan creepy.]

Grahf
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Be good...." , posted Sun 23 May 13:26post reply

quote:

The first one isn't even out yet, that's taking a HUGE risk like if they had decided "Hey! Prince of Egypt did decently, let's greenlight sequels to Road to El Dorado, Sinbad, and Spirit while we're green lighting PoE's [direct to video] sequel!"

[Is Bias since he thinks Shark Tales look like crap; anthropomorphized fish are just plan creepy.]

I would imagine that they decided this based on people's reactions to the preview/announcement of this one. They probably are jumping the gun, but it does take quite a while to make these 3D animated movies.

Undead Fred
1563th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Be good...." , posted Sun 23 May 14:23post reply

quote:

I would imagine that they decided this based on people's reactions to the preview/announcement of this one. They probably are jumping the gun, but it does take quite a while to make these 3D animated movies.

Well, they are DEFINITELY jumping the gun, but it's not like CG takes longer than 2D... Assuming their render times are magically 3x longer than average.

They need to stop making Shrek movies before they run it into the ground and make another wonderful franchise like the Land Before Time or something. Shrek's a good movie, Shrek 2's a good movie, now just leave it alone, please. I can understand them making a third because 2 was open enough for a third, and people enjoyed it, but Shark Tale's NOT EVEN OUT YET. Stop planning sequels for movies that aren't even in the theaters yet and counting money you don't have until you f***ing release the FIRST MOVIE, please. I'm sure someone here has heard the plans Disney had for Pirates of the Carribbean...

Anyway, back to the topic...

I liked Shrek 2, but I don't know if I thought it was better than the first. Of course, the technical end was great (a few parts of the animation looked a little weird, but otherwise, great stuff. SPOILER MODE!

-I liked Puss a lot, especially that sad eye thing he did. That was great.
-I wished Fiona was back to the way she was in the first movie... although I knew they'd go with the ogre thing, which is really a better ending anyway.
-Giant Gingerbread Man was awesome. I wish I had one.
-Was I the only one to catch the Fawlty Towers reference they threw in there? John Cleese using the "old war wound acting up" excuse to leave the room? That was great, too.

End of Spoiler

BLAGGO

ZamIAm
1295th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"...tangent" , posted Mon 24 May 10:51post reply

quote:

They need to stop making Shrek movies before they run it into the ground and make another wonderful franchise like the Land Before Time or something.

I love the first LBT but I can't stand the happy singy sequels.

Continue.

We all know that Sakura and Karin didn't enter the SF3 tourney because underneath the tights they're duct taped to Chun's legs...

Ishmael
1412th Post

"Re(1):...tangent" , posted Mon 24 May 11:08post reply

quote:

They need to stop making Shrek movies before they run it into the ground and make another wonderful franchise like the Land Before Time or something.

Continue.

I think I've sat through half of one of the Land Before Time movies. That's not a complaint about the movie, I just never got around to watching it. It seems I'm really behind on my viewing too, since there are now ten(!) LBT movies. Even though I haven't watched it, I've always been amused by the cover for this movie which seems to show the little tykes caught in the start of a global shift in weather patterns in which that small clan and all the species they represent will soon go extinct. They look pretty happy considering the circumstances.

Undead Fred
1578th Post

"Re(2):...tangent" , posted Mon 24 May 16:35post reply

quote:

Continue.

I think I've sat through half of one of the Land Before Time movies. That's not a complaint about the movie, I just never got around to watching it. It seems I'm really behind on my viewing too, since there are now ten(!) LBT movies. Even though I haven't watched it, I've always been amused by the cover for this movie which seems to show the little tykes caught in the start of a global shift in weather patterns in which that small clan and all the species they represent will soon go extinct. They look pretty happy considering the circumstances.

Yeah, wasn't the first Land Before Time supposed to be about the whole "world's about to freeze over" thing? I liked the first LBT movie, but the rest are just horrible straight-to-video disasters. Do they get lost from their parents in every movie or something and have to find their way back? If so, not only is that a crappy story, but their parents have to be the worst in the history of the world...

BLAGGO

Iron D
2404th Post

"Re(3):...tangent" , posted Mon 24 May 18:24post reply

In short:

-Puss owns everyone.

-I like 2 much more than the first.

-I'm probably the only one, but I think that Fiona looks better as an ogre.

-I hate all of the Land Before Time movies with a passion.

New avatar provided by Onslaught. Super!

Veni vi venci.

Dr Baghead
3032th Post

"Re(3):...tangent" , posted Mon 24 May 20:38post reply

quote:
Do they get lost from their parents in every movie or something and have to find their way back? If so, not only is that a crappy story, but their parents have to be the worst in the history of the world...

They don't get lost from their parents every movie... all of their Adventures after 1 take place in the great valley with the climax taking place just outside it normally were the "Sharp Tooths" live.

Instead of the whole seperation thing from the first movie they normally face some bullshit villians... of those I remember:
-two ovaraptors who really like eggs
-three 'teenage bully dinosaurs (whom they later befriend)
-a near sighted crocodile and her bird

I stopped watching after 4 (hey, they're free on CN every so often and I'm bored) so there's FIVE movies I can't comment on.

I find it odd all the 'Sharp toothes' (which seems to be a blanket term so lazy writers don't need to make new names for whatever dinosaur villian the next JP makes trendy) act like you'd expect dinosaurs would while the plant eaters are 'human' like...

quote:
-I'm probably the only one, but I think that Fiona looks better as an ogre.

Not the only one, I agree (she's got a lot more character as an ogre... as a human she's very generic)

TheBeast
1722th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Tue 25 May 08:23:post reply

Garfield reference:

When Shrek, Donkey and Puss are in the Poison Apple, Puss muttered, "I hate Mondays."

PC game CounterStrike reference:

When Gingerbread man and company tried to break into the jail cell, Gingerbread man shouted, "Fire in the Hole!"

Disney's Beauty and the Beast reference:

In the scene where Shrek overturn a big pot of potion, two workers turn into a clock and a candle, similar to CogsWorth and Lumiere in BatB.

And of course, if you sit through the credits, the donkey and the dragon from 1 had babies.

End of Spoiler

I heard there was a Final Fantasy reference too. But I didn't spot it...Anyone knows what is it?

[this message was edited by TheBeast on Tue 25 May 08:29]

Treepull Aitch
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 03:19post reply

Anyone know where there's a consolidated list of annotations?

C'mon, Da Web's a biiiiiig place......

And Ryu said unto Kyo and unto Sol and even unto Cable No man may surpass me for I am the Alpha and Omega the Beginning and the End; I am the King of Fighters. - Ken 6:22

TheBeast
1723th Post

"Re(2):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 09:04post reply

YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND, MASTER

quote:

Undead Fred
1586th Post

"Re(3):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 10:36:post reply

quote:

They got a reference wrong- that beach scene wasn't just the Little Mermaid... The shot where they're lying on top of each other and the water washes over them is from some really old movie (can't remember the name) that they even parodied on Airplane! back in the day...

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also missed that Fawlty Towers reference. SO THE LIST ISNT AS COMPLETE AS IT SAYS OOOH, BUUUURNED!!

I am the Insult Master.

BLAGGO

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Wed 26 May 10:45]

Hungrywolf
2797th Post

"Re(4):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 11:19post reply

quote:

I am the Insult Master.

Hey, that was on ATHF last night again!

Hungry Like the Wolf

Undead Fred
1586th Post

"Re(5):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 14:49post reply

quote:

I am the Insult Master.

Heh heh. Yeah. Is it just me, or have they played that episode at least three times in the last few weeks?

BLAGGO

TheBeast
1724th Post

"Re(4):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 17:37post reply

quote:

They got a reference wrong- that beach scene wasn't just the Little Mermaid... The shot where they're lying on top of each other and the water washes over them is from some really old movie (can't remember the name) that they even parodied on Airplane! back in the day...

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also missed that Fawlty Towers reference. SO THE LIST ISNT AS COMPLETE AS IT SAYS OOOH, BUUUURNED!!

I am the Insult Master.

Awww come on cut the people compiling that list some slack...It is just an attempt to list out as many references as possible...the list is still growing, and they miss out other references such as Indiana Jones (Puss grabs hat while escaping from door)and Street Fighter too, but I am sure you had also learnt some of the references unheard of before you see that thread, so I guess it is a good exchange of information.

What's with the Fawlty Towers reference anyway?

Hungrywolf
2798th Post

"Re(6):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 18:34post reply

quote:

I am the Insult Master.

Heh heh. Yeah. Is it just me, or have they played that episode at least three times in the last few weeks?

Yeah they have, but I like it anyway. I love ATHF.

On topic, that was an impressive list that guy compiled. He didn't miss much.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Treepull Aitch
284th Post

Copper Customer

"Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 22:11post reply

quote:

OR DID HE....?

Juke Joint Jezebel
2903th Post

"Re(1):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 22:24post reply

quote:

OR DID HE....?

this Treepull Aitch guy! he's crazy!

Undead Fred
1590th Post

"Re(5):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Wed 26 May 23:50:post reply

quote:
Awww come on cut the people compiling that list some slack...It is just an attempt to list out as many references as possible...the list is still growing, and they miss out other references such as Indiana Jones (Puss grabs hat while escaping from door)and Street Fighter too, but I am sure you had also learnt some of the references unheard of before you see that thread, so I guess it is a good exchange of information.

What's with the Fawlty Towers reference anyway?

I know, I know. I was joking... that's why I threw all that "Insult Master" stuff in there. Still, the guy needs to drop the "complete" from the title for a little while, just because it's still growing. Not that that's a big deal, and yeah, I'm being nitpicky, but I'm just trying to make a point.

Anyway, Fawlty Towers reference- John Cleese played Basil Fawlty in the show, and there was a part in Shrek 2 where the Queen overheard the Fairy Godmother outside and was asking what was going on, and the King stiffened his leg up and said, "Ah... nothing, dear... just the old crusade wound acting up..." And left the room. John Cleese used the same excuse in Fawlty Towers when he was trying to distract someone that was about to catch him doing something or walk into a room where Polly or Manuel were busy trying to cover something up. He'd also use the "war wound" thing as an excuse to leave the room when he was on the verge of getting caught doing something. So, the King pretty much did the Basil Fawlty war wound thing, right down to the pretend gimpy leg.

EDIT: Ashley Crimson is really a girl and has boobs.

BLAGGO

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Wed 26 May 23:52]

Ishmael
1429th Post

"Re(6):Other pretty insignificant spoilers...." , posted Mon 31 May 13:26post reply

I want to hang out at a bar where the piano singer sounds exactly like both Tom Waits and Nick Cave.

Joe Randel
144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re:Now that I think about it..." , posted Tue 1 Jun 06:23post reply

I just wanna know one thing...

What did Dragon turn into if Donkey was a stallion?

End of Spoiler

Oh, and the soundtrack seem cool too.

Grahf
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Re:Now that I think about it..." , posted Tue 1 Jun 06:59post reply

quote:
I just wanna know one thing...

What did Dragon turn into if Donkey was a stallion?

End of Spoiler

Haha, good question.

I wonder if they left Dragon out of the movie to avoid that very issue.

End of Spoiler

Another plot-related question:

How did the Gingerbread Man, Pinocchio, etc. get to Far Far Away so fast, considering how long it took Shrek and Co. to get there? My only guess is that Dragon must have brought them there.

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
1606th Post

"Re(2):Re:Now that I think about it..." , posted Wed 2 Jun 02:30post reply

Heh heh. If anyone's heard Lewis Black's stand-up stuff, during the giant Gingerbread Man's rampage that involved coffee shops, I pointed at the screen and said, "It's the end of the universe!"

BLAGGO

Hungrywolf
2811th Post

"Re(3):Re:Now that I think about it..." , posted Wed 2 Jun 08:39:post reply

quote:
Heh heh. If anyone's heard Lewis Black's stand-up stuff, during the giant Gingerbread Man's rampage that involved coffee shops, I pointed at the screen and said, "It's the end of the universe!"

Ah yes,

the Starbucks across from the Starbucks

End of Spoiler

, my sister and I both noticed that from Lewis Black's stand-up (which is awesome). I wonder if that was there specifically because of that.

Hungry Like the Wolf

[this message was edited by Hungrywolf on Wed 2 Jun 17:15]