[an error occurred while processing this directive] Red Dead Revolver - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Undead Fred
1535th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Red Dead Revolver" , posted Fri 14 May 21:02post reply

I saw Polyanna's thread last week about it, and I wanted to talk about it now, but the thread's beyond the "bump zone."

I got the game a few days ago and I loved it. I liked the graphic touches a lot that made it like those old spaghetti westerns... right down to that sort of double-ghost image out of focus thing that made it look like a drive-in or something. Red looked sort of like Eastwood, too (not that that's hard to notice). I finished 1P pretty quickly, but I'm playing through again on "hard." Anyone else played it? Who was your favorite character(s)?

Oh yeah, how much of it was Capcom's work, and how much is Rockstar's? I remember hearing that Capcom had started it, but then all of a sudden it's a Rockstar game...

BLAGGO

Replies:

Mozex
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sat 15 May 09:49post reply

quote:
Oh yeah, how much of it was Capcom's work, and how much is Rockstar's? I remember hearing that Capcom had started it, but then all of a sudden it's a Rockstar game...

I think this is how things worked:
Capcom stopped development on the game then Rockstar bought the studio that was developing it (and the rights to the game from Capcom). So although the producers changed, the development team wasn't significantly altered.

From what some people have said the E3 demo played much differently from the final release, so I suppose Rockstar pushed the game in a different direction.

Be kind to goblins.

Pollyanna
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sat 15 May 15:45post reply

Well, I haven't PLAYED the Capcom one, but just by watching the trailor, they look like totally different games.

Like I said before, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and not appreciate a good game when I have one, though I'm really afraid of what I'm missing. Again, if someone would like to upload the Capcom trailor, I can hook you up. (or I could upload it for like a day)

I had a great 4 hour crazy vs session the other night, which was dandy fun, although I think Jack is a bit overpowered. Well, it's horribly unbalanced anyway...

Undead Fred
1538th Post

"Re(2):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sat 15 May 17:45post reply

quote:
I think this is how things worked:
Capcom stopped development on the game then Rockstar bought the studio that was developing it (and the rights to the game from Capcom). So although the producers changed, the development team wasn't significantly altered.

From what some people have said the E3 demo played much differently from the final release, so I suppose Rockstar pushed the game in a different direction.

Ah, okay. I've been looking at the characters while I play and I see Red and think "he's got kind of a Japanese design to him... maybe Capcom made him..." and most of the other characters strike me as Rockstar-ish... so I was curious. I had heard that Capcom had meant the game to be a gunfighter sim or something, and I think there are still elements of that left in. I just wish there was something to do with all that money once you unlock everything in the stores or through level ranking... I hate the idea of having all that money in Red's pocket and nothing at all to spend it on.
quote:
Well, I haven't PLAYED the Capcom one, but just by watching the trailor, they look like totally different games.

Like I said before, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and not appreciate a good game when I have one, though I'm really afraid of what I'm missing. Again, if someone would like to upload the Capcom trailor, I can hook you up. (or I could upload it for like a day)

I had a great 4 hour crazy vs session the other night, which was dandy fun, although I think Jack is a bit overpowered. Well, it's horribly unbalanced anyway...

Never mess with a Sandhurst boy.

Yeah, it's pretty unbalanced, but it's still fun. I pick characters based on things I like about them, not really their strengths and weaknesses. Mr. Black's the exception, though... he's as slow as a dump truck and you can't see anything. I wish that weren't the case because I liked the idea of playing an insane mortician with a coffin on his back...

Man, and I am so awesome with headshots. Anyway, any favorite stages or characters? Mine's Widow's Patch and Jack Swift... I like Widow's Patch more in the daytime, but night's good too. Fort Deigo's also another good stage.

BLAGGO

Pollyanna
304th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sat 15 May 22:13post reply

I'm too lazy to plug in the game and check her name (too busy with Monster Hunter!) but in vs mode I always use the girl that has the poison rounds and says something to the effect of "so tell me, is life always this tough, or is it just when you're a kid?" (something like that). She's one of the only, if not THE only cute person in the game.

Fort Diego is fun, but I think the most played stage was the night one with my friends. I think it's...erm...Gigolo that's dressed totally in black (among a few others), who is dreadfully hard to see on that level.

Have you found much use for the bow and arrow in the vs matches? Of course, in the game, when you used Shadow Wolf, it seemed quite effective, but with the long reload, it just doesn't seem worth it in vs, where you still have to get two hits off in the head.

ONSLAUGHT
2664th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Leon" , posted Sat 15 May 22:24post reply

quote:
"so tell me, is life always this tough, or is it just when you're a kid?"

Mathilda?

Undead Fred
1542th Post

"Re(4):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sat 15 May 22:31post reply

quote:
I'm too lazy to plug in the game and check her name (too busy with Monster Hunter!) but in vs mode I always use the girl that has the poison rounds and says something to the effect of "so tell me, is life always this tough, or is it just when you're a kid?" (something like that). She's one of the only, if not THE only cute person in the game.

Fort Diego is fun, but I think the most played stage was the night one with my friends. I think it's...erm...Gigolo that's dressed totally in black (among a few others), who is dreadfully hard to see on that level.

Have you found much use for the bow and arrow in the vs matches? Of course, in the game, when you used Shadow Wolf, it seemed quite effective, but with the long reload, it just doesn't seem worth it in vs, where you still have to get two hits off in the head.

Oh, is it Mr. Kelly's niece or whatever she was? She's sitting next to him at the saloon when he first shows up? I didn't know she was unlockable. I want to unlock that guy with the noose around his neck. "Yo judgment day... has come!"

I've used arrows off and on, but mostly for sniping. They're worthless in combat just because you walk so slow with the bow raised. You know, they're good for getting up on the water tower in Tar-nation (ghost town) and picking people off. Have you tried playing multiplayer with bots? Don't go to the ghost town if you do. They're really stupid and like to hide.

BLAGGO

DarkZero
775th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sun 16 May 00:11post reply

quote:

Ah, okay. I've been looking at the characters while I play and I see Red and think "he's got kind of a Japanese design to him... maybe Capcom made him..." and most of the other characters strike me as Rockstar-ish... so I was curious.

IIRC, there was absolutely no mention of multiple playable characters until well after Rockstar had taken over. From what I originally saw in previews of the game, I think that Red was originally meant to be the only playable character in the Capcom version.

Dr Orochi
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Leon" , posted Sun 16 May 00:14post reply

quote:
"so tell me, is life always this tough, or is it just when you're a kid?"

Mathilda?

I love you.

Undead Fred
1543th Post

"Re(4):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sun 16 May 02:32post reply

quote:
IIRC, there was absolutely no mention of multiple playable characters until well after Rockstar had taken over. From what I originally saw in previews of the game, I think that Red was originally meant to be the only playable character in the Capcom version.

Well, I meant the other characters in the story mode... I mean, you can unlock them for multiplayer mode, but you know what I mean.

BLAGGO

Pollyanna
308th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sun 16 May 11:34post reply

Ah, Natalie, that's her name.
Anyway, I've never done deathmatch with bots, because I was able to rustle up some hombres that were more interested in playing with me than my yellow-bellied roomates.

Naturally, the bow and arrows suck for anything but sniping, but I was wondering if they were even superior for that. I suppose since most people who have the "advantage" of having the bow and arrow also start with a gun, then it's no problem, but they still take 2 shots to the head to kill, right? Does the bow have the best zoom? Since you can kill with one blow to the head in the story mode, it makes it seem fancier than it really is.

Anyway, have you unlocked anything nice with bounty mode? I tend to keep getting things I already have.

Undead Fred
1547th Post

"Re(6):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Sun 16 May 15:58:post reply

quote:
Ah, Natalie, that's her name.
Anyway, I've never done deathmatch with bots, because I was able to rustle up some hombres that were more interested in playing with me than my yellow-bellied roomates.

Heh heh. That's good. At least the bots are an option (I wish you could raise their difficulty up a lot more so it's not like try to play deathmatch with your parents or something). If you're wanting some deathmatch or quickdraw action and everyone's out at the moment, then you've got bots to play with, or they can be used to fill that third or fourth slot in a match. It's a shame they're so stupid, though.
quote:

Naturally, the bow and arrows suck for anything but sniping, but I was wondering if they were even superior for that. I suppose since most people who have the "advantage" of having the bow and arrow also start with a gun, then it's no problem, but they still take 2 shots to the head to kill, right? Does the bow have the best zoom? Since you can kill with one blow to the head in the story mode, it makes it seem fancier than it really is.

Well, one thing I KNOW about arrows is that they don't really make any noise. So, if you want stealth, then use the bow over a rifle for sniping. You know, so you can pick off one person without the others knowing someone's getting sniped (unless you miss their vital points a lot and they return fire). Other than that, I can't really think of any good reason to use the bow.
quote:

Anyway, have you unlocked anything nice with bounty mode? I tend to keep getting things I already have.

I've gotten a bunch of things I've already gotten, but I have gotten a few cheats here and there... which I know I'm not going to ever use. But they're there now. Maybe there's something you get for finishing Bounty Hunter mode?

EDIT: I take that back- there's a cheat I may try, just for the sake of a bigger challenge... it's a "no HUD" cheat, which could make things interesting.

BLAGGO

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Sun 16 May 18:10]

Undead Fred
1556th Post

"Hanged Man" , posted Wed 19 May 19:13post reply

By the way, does anyone know how to unlock Jesse Lynch in the game? He's the gunslinger with the broken noose around his neck...

BLAGGO

Ishmael
1416th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Whiplash the Cowboy Monkey" , posted Tue 25 May 08:37post reply

quote:
Well, one thing I KNOW about arrows is that they don't really make any noise. So, if you want stealth, then use the bow over a rifle for sniping. You know, so you can pick off one person without the others knowing someone's getting sniped (unless you miss their vital points a lot and they return fire). Other than that, I can't really think of any good reason to use the bow.

The bow also reloads after every shot so you don't have to take the time to reload or get stuck with that awkward realization you're trying to shoot someone with an empty weapon.

I finally got to try our RDR and while I enjoyed the game I was still left with mixed feelings. If the game had featured you fighting aliens or terrorists or something like that I suspect I would have become bored with the game very quickly. But having the chance to be a gunslinger, however, makes it a lot more fun. The novelty of fighting your way through the fort from The Wild Bunch or fighting a guy who seemingly stole Django's coffin makes for a refreshingly different game presentation. Still, when I look at all the Akiman designed characters wandering about I wonder about what might have been. Perhaps some day we will get a restored version of RDR that features the original game engine and story. It will be like how Touch of Evil was restored only not.

Side notes: After playing the game I had the urge to use terms like "varmit" in casual conversation.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
What the hell is with the Battle Royale tournament? Half the town shoots the other half dead in a state sponsered competition? Annually?

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
1582th Post

"Re(1):Whiplash the Cowboy Monkey" , posted Tue 25 May 14:06post reply

quote:

The bow also reloads after every shot so you don't have to take the time to reload or get stuck with that awkward realization you're trying to shoot someone with an empty weapon.

Ah, also a good point. Personally, the bow's not a really good "battle weapon" because of how slow it makes you walk. I guess that's also why I'd say use it for stealth only.
quote:

I finally got to try our RDR and while I enjoyed the game I was still left with mixed feelings. If the game had featured you fighting aliens or terrorists or something like that I suspect I would have become bored with the game very quickly. But having the chance to be a gunslinger, however, makes it a lot more fun. The novelty of fighting your way through the fort from The Wild Bunch or fighting a guy who seemingly stole Django's coffin makes for a refreshingly different game presentation. Still, when I look at all the Akiman designed characters wandering about I wonder about what might have been. Perhaps some day we will get a restored version of RDR that features the original game engine and story. It will be like how Touch of Evil was restored only not.

Side notes: After playing the game I had the urge to use terms like "varmit" in casual conversation.

Did any of Akiman's characters make it in the Rockstar version? I'd guess Red was one of them (I can totally see an Akiman influence, at the very least...), but were there any others? Professor Perry, maybe?

As for your spoiler-

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Heh heh. Yeah, I was thinking that, too. I remember the first duel, and thinking, "Are we actually going to shoot at each other? Guess so..." I had gotten so pissed at Kelly when I was going for an excellent on that stage because he kept sneaking in one shot on me in the duel, which destroyed my chances at getting that "damage taken" star.... Anyway, I shot all six rounds into his balls just to piss him off. He didn't seem to have any trouble running around after that, though.

All I can think to do is just blame Gov. Gryphon for his SUPER DEADLY CONTEST and also throw in a "well, it was the wild west..." as another excuse. Heh heh.

End of Spoiler

On a side note, looks like Jesse Lynch is NOT available for use in the game, even though crappy low-level lackeys that you'll probably never use ARE available in multiplayer. Bleh. I wouldn't complain about the lackeys, but there's this space next to Pig Josh on the bleachers that is apparently going to be empty forever...

BLAGGO

Juan
3981th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"ugly" , posted Tue 25 May 14:15post reply

Link Here

Akiman posted some designs he did over the past few days, you'll recognize a lot. Also check on the game manual, he is listed on the credits under creature designer (what) look for Akira Yasuda.

Of course thats not all of them, but you can tell that rockstar left the ones that were there for the most part and added a few new characters (Swift, Annie, or the Buffalo soldier, etc.) After watching the old Angel Studios trailer I noticed that Mr. Kelly was a playable character. Ugly Chris is also there.

AND MORE!

quote:

Did any of Akiman's characters make it in the Rockstar version? I'd guess Red was one of them (I can totally see an Akiman influence, at the very least...), but were there any others? Professor Perry, maybe?

STFU

Undead Fred
1583th Post

"Re(1):ugly" , posted Tue 25 May 14:41post reply

quote:
Link Here

Akiman posted some designs he did over the past few days, you'll recognize a lot. Also check on the game manual, he is listed on the credits under creature designer (what) look for Akira Yasuda.

Of course thats not all of them, but you can tell that rockstar left the ones that were there for the most part and added a few new characters (Swift, Annie, or the Buffalo soldier, etc.) After watching the old Angel Studios trailer I noticed that Mr. Kelly was a playable character. Ugly Chris is also there.

AND MORE!

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I was wondering if Pig Josh was one... He seemed like a possibility, but the way they modeled him made me wonder. That shot of Red on the front page of the little menu book definitely looked like something Akiman would have done, though.

...and is Cooper (barrel man) in any part of the game??? I never did run into him in story mode, but he's in the journal, and he's available in multiplayer mode...

BLAGGO

Porcellino
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Thu 27 May 02:34post reply

You all know. The real MISSING in the Rockstar's version of the game is the song heard in the original trailer T___T 110% Spagetti Western.

Still don't know if Ennio Morricone's soundtrack was fully removed...mmm..anyone know?

Tobanaibutaha...tadanobutada....

Ishmael
1418th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Thu 27 May 12:18post reply

quote:
You all know. The real MISSING in the Rockstar's version of the game is the song heard in the original trailer T___T 110% Spagetti Western.

Still don't know if Ennio Morricone's soundtrack was fully removed...mmm..anyone know?

I don't fully remember what the theme Morricone wrote for RDR sounded like but I don't think I heard it in the game. A very strange decision on Rockstar's part. Or was there something in Morricone's contract that wouldn't let the music transfer after the game left Capcom?

Undead Fred
1592th Post

"Re(3):Red Dead Revolver" , posted Thu 27 May 20:41post reply

quote:

I don't fully remember what the theme Morricone wrote for RDR sounded like but I don't think I heard it in the game. A very strange decision on Rockstar's part. Or was there something in Morricone's contract that wouldn't let the music transfer after the game left Capcom?

Man, there was a song they left out that was even MORE spaghetti western than the music they had in there in the final product?

BLAGGO

Burning Ranger
790th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Nice looking and sounding game..." , posted Sat 29 May 21:36post reply

I had the opportunity to watch my brother play RDR on his X-box, and I'm impressed with the game's look and sound. I'm hoping a soundtrack CD will be released.

On another note--does anyone know where can DL a trailer of Capcom's version of RDR?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH