[an error occurred while processing this directive] Propeller Arena dumped - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Rid Hershel
5992th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Propeller Arena dumped" , posted Thu 13 May 07:52post reply

Yu Suzuki's cancelled Dreamcast flight sim is finally out there in ISO form, if you look in the usual places (IRC, Suprnova).

Info on here:
http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/136/136544p1.html

Replies:

Burning Ranger
771th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Propeller Arena dumped" , posted Thu 13 May 17:56post reply

quote:
Yu Suzuki's cancelled Dreamcast flight sim is finally out there in ISO form, if you look in the usual places (IRC, Suprnova).

Info on here:

This game was supposedly canned after the events of September 11, 2001 because of the sensitive time period.

But its now over two years later. Considering how online console gaming is becoming more popular, Sega could probably do good releasing this game for the PS2 or the Xbox. But then again, there already is a flying game on Xbox live, I believe (Crimson Skies 2?).

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

Bootation
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Propeller Arena dumped" , posted Fri 14 May 08:54post reply

quote:

Info on here:

This game was supposedly canned after the events of September 11, 2001 because of the sensitive time period.

But its now over two years later. Considering how online console gaming is becoming more popular, Sega could probably do good releasing this game for the PS2 or the Xbox. But then again, there already is a flying game on Xbox live, I believe (Crimson Skies 2?).

is propeller arena any fun? it sounded fun.
maybe someone will host a server like they did for pso.

Here is my neato sweet awesome webpage
Check out my games4sale page

Rid Hershel
5997th Post

"Re(3):Propeller Arena dumped" , posted Fri 14 May 08:56post reply

quote:
maybe someone will host a server like they did for pso.
I'll try to burn it this weekend (my pc and discjuggler don't take along too well) and I'll post impressions. It's probably an unfinished beta anyway.

Fuchikoma
985th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Propeller Arena dumped" , posted Fri 14 May 10:42post reply

quote:
maybe someone will host a server like they did for pso. I'll try to burn it this weekend (my pc and discjuggler don't take along too well) and I'll post impressions. It's probably an unfinished beta anyway.

Oh wow... this is definitely a good excuse to dust off the old Dreamcast. From what I hear Prop Arena was pretty much finished before it got cancelled (like the DC Half Life) the one downside is that Prop Arena is designed for online play... which I guess won't be possible now.

Fuchikoma
987th Post

"first impressions" , posted Fri 14 May 14:24:post reply

I've been playing it for a half hour and this seems like a final version. I noticed the music faded out a bit in training... but all the modes and options are there, the sound track is great! The whole game feels a lot like Crazy Taxi, but in the air... they even have the Crazy Taxi announcer. I haven't tried playing through championship mode yet... I've been getting a feel for the controls in quick battle. Rolls and evasive moves are done by doing motions on the analog stick and pressing X. There's floating crates with powerups like shields and health... haven't figured out the weapons completely yet, but there has to be like rockets or missiles. I noticed one funny thing is when you exploid it's the same sound effect lifted from Afterburner. I'll post more impressions later... I gots to play more!

edit- ok figured out weapons. 3 kinds of crates- yellow, green, and red. Yellow are status changes like speed up and invisibility, green are mostly related to health, and red are WEAPONS. So far I've seen single homing missile, firing lots of little missiles ala macross, and a cluster bomb. I think I'll try championship mode now.

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Fri 14 May 14:32]

TeirusuCSS
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):first impressions" , posted Fri 14 May 14:56post reply

This sounds pretty cool... damn terrorists.

Cats? I much prefer foxes.

Fuchikoma
988th Post

"more impressions" , posted Fri 14 May 17:05:post reply

The gameplay is really very good... I wouldn't expect any less from AM2. Double tapping a direction and x sends you into a barrel roll, down up or up down and x lets you do a loop de loop, and one of the most effect maneuvers is fireball motion and x which makes you do a quick turn. Also if you're behind someone you can press x to lock on and shred them up... or if someone is tailing you, you can do a loop de loop and then shred them up.

As for items- red- missile, missile burst, cluster bomb, nuke (makes a huge mushroom cloud) green- health, power up, hyper mode yellow- reverse controls, invisibility, super shot, invincibility?

This was definitely Sega at the peak of the Dreamcast... it's a damn shame this game never came out. Sega should really just port it to X-box Live, it would killer! This is a beta... but it's hard to notice... the only things I notice missing are some form of radar, and the plains don't display their individual stats.

edit- even with the lack of radar and stats...I think this was the final version of the game though, each character has an individual ending for championship mode and there's even unlockable characters, I just unlocked the assassin.

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Fri 14 May 17:37]

Fuchikoma
995th Post

"Re(1):more impressions" , posted Tue 18 May 12:54post reply

If anyone's interested... there's some really funny planes you can unlock in this game. Besides the zero bomber and jet you can get... there's also a blimp, a toy airplane... and a flying Dreamcast controller! The controller is hilarious... when you get shot down it ejects the vmu with a parachute. AM2 seriously needs to bring this game out on one of the current consoles... it's obvious they put a lot of work into it.

Rid Hershel
6007th Post

"Re(2):more impressions" , posted Tue 18 May 13:37post reply

Yes, just got my hands on it, quite impressive I have to say, one of the best online-based games I've seen, too bad that it was never released. I would post more impressions, but Fuchi here basically told everything you need to know about this game. I'll just add that the training has a few 1-player missions to do, so it's not arena-only gameplay.

Basically: The game is GREAT.

How are the secrets unlocked by the way?

Fuchikoma
996th Post

"Re(3):more impressions" , posted Tue 18 May 13:48post reply

You have to first go through championship mode and place first, then you'll be challenged by Shadow... pick the same plane and go through championship mode again and beat Shadow, then you'll be challenged by Sol and Ray.. do the same thing (they're hard to beath though). After you do that you'll have the zero bomber and jet... and then just go through all the training missions to get the controller, blimp, and toy plane.. you'll also unlock 2 extra stages. One odd thing I've noticed is there is a radar in training mode... I wonder if there's some way to unlock the radar for regular play.