[an error occurred while processing this directive] UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

OmegaDog
1140th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 09:46post reply

Yeah... UPN.

UPN > Shows > Game Over
(Flash, sound)

"I must pay for my past sins... Let's fight!""I have no choice. You will lose!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 17 |

Replies:

Fygee
979th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 14:27post reply

I'd be interested if they weren't using computer animation from 1995. It looks just like the original Reboot in terms of technical quality.

Undead Fred
1413th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 15:02post reply

quote:
I'd be interested if they weren't using computer animation from 1995. It looks just like the original Reboot in terms of technical quality.

Yeah, I saw the preview the other day... I remember thinking, "The idea sounded bad, but now I'm convinced it's going to be bad..." The dialogue may save it, but the visuals and the idea are so bad that I don't think I'll touch it. The lighting and textures look okay, but I don't like the character designs, and the models look kind of weird anyway. I'd say I'd want to see them in motion and judge them that way, but the show looks painful all around so far...

BLARGBLARG PLACE YOUR BETS!

OmegaDog
1143th Post

"Re(3):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 15:56post reply

Just the very fact that it comes from UPN is enough to make me wary of it.

"I must pay for my past sins... Let's fight!""I have no choice. You will lose!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 17 |

Adon
1333th Post

"Re(3):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 15:57post reply

What I find annoying is these TV executives and marketers sit around and come up with this S***. They think all of the people out there will love this because they have a Daytona USA character, a Tomb Raider character and some sort of Tekkenish character like a Roger or Alex. It just looks stupid to me. I much rather watch a Beavis and Butthead, Simpsons, or King of the Hill any day

Gojira
1332th Post

"Re(3):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 15:58post reply

I think your memory of Reboot far exceeds the actual quality of that show.

The animation in the preview was actually pretty good. It's very... spastic. Oh well, better than a bunch of unedited motion captured crap or vector-based animations, anyway.

I honestly don't see how it could go for more than a few episodes without running out of ideas or licensing issues or relying on mind-numbingly bad stereotypes. Especially seeing that it's on UPN. I guess we'll see.

ROSHIIIIIII!!!

OmegaDog
1145th Post

"Re(4):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:00:post reply

QUALITY PROGRAMMING

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Wed 10 Mar 16:08]

Radish
2305th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:05post reply

Well, it's no "Home Boys in Outerspace" that's for sure.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I'll leave it up to your imagination which one I'm insulting here.

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
1416th Post

"Re(5):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:06:post reply

quote:
I think your memory of Reboot far exceeds the actual quality of that show.

The animation in the preview was actually pretty good. It's very... spastic. Oh well, better than a bunch of unedited motion captured crap or vector-based animations, anyway.

I honestly don't see how it could go for more than a few episodes without running out of ideas or licensing issues or relying on mind-numbingly bad stereotypes. Especially seeing that it's on UPN. I guess we'll see.

Yeah, the animation is pretty spastic. I agree- I don't see how they can keep this show "fresh" after a few episodes before they break out Pac-Man guest appearances and make bad "high score" jokes or something.
quote:
QUALITY PROGRAMMING

You don't get it! Mullet haircuts are so bad, they're good! They're awesome!

BLARGBLARG PLACE YOUR BETS!

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Wed 10 Mar 16:10]

ZamIAm
1181th Post

"optimism" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:07post reply

At least give it a chance. Game Over, not the Mullets.

Black people: WE KNOW DRAMA

Gojira
1333th Post

"Re(4):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:24post reply

quote:
What I find annoying is these TV executives and marketers sit around and come up with this S***. They think all of the people out there will love this because they have a Daytona USA character, a Tomb Raider character and some sort of Tekkenish character like a Roger or Alex. It just looks stupid to me. I much rather watch a Beavis and Butthead, Simpsons, or King of the Hill any day

Oh yeah, can you imagine what the TV executives must have said to sell Beavis and Butthead to the masses?

"It's about two kids who go on adventures in life and at school, meeting zany characters and watching lots of music videos along the way"

It sounds so stupid when you think about it.

ROSHIIIIIII!!!

Oroch
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:48post reply

quote:

i loved home boys in outerspace, it was a poor americans version of reddwarf

and reboot was awful cuz they used lightwave and its crappy rendering engine

poo on you lightwave

drinking
a bowl of green tea
i stopped the war.
-Zen Telegrams

Bootation
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 17:26post reply

quote:

i loved home boys in outerspace, it was a poor americans version of reddwarf

and reboot was awful cuz they used lightwave and its crappy rendering engine

poo on you lightwave

Blech

Here is my neato sweet awesome webpage
Check out my games4sale page

Juke Joint Jezebel
2738th Post

"Re(1):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 17:30post reply

you got a question, you ask the eight ball

Get American Monsters Corporate Sponsors

Maou
161th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 17:43post reply

Yeah, the precedent for video games on TV ain't good...remember Nick Arcade? I still remember the announcer dude describing Sonic the Hedgehog to the chump that was about to play it, and he said Dr. Robo-nick instead of Robotnik for Dr. Eggman's US name. Oof.

ZamIAm
1183th Post

"Game Over" , posted Wed 10 Mar 17:45post reply

Well, I watched it. I think it wasn't that bad but I don't know about everyone else here...

OmegaDog
1145th Post

"Re(1):Game Over" , posted Wed 10 Mar 19:02post reply

I ... watched it. I'll elaborate later -- but for right now, I'll just say... no.

Luisinan
799th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 20:32post reply

quote:

HA! Someone remembered that show. HA! (yes I'm ashamed that I remembered that show.)

Anyhoo, the animation is pretty good. The episode was blah, okay, whatever. Some good moments but not enough. Some funny parts. But... uh. Maybe the show will get better.

I really don't like how everyone swears so much. Especially the kids. Yeah, I said that!

Bored? "160"

Dr Baghead
2869th Post

"Re(3):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 20:58post reply

I watched...

You'd think the lovely Oddworld reference and the fact Patrick Warburton, Racheal Dratch, and E.G.Daily (I like to call her "Eiji" so if I ever type such when refering to the show, that's why) are amazing voice actors would have made this show an instant hit in my mind...

BUT IT'S SO EMBARASSING TO WATCH!!! The writing is sub-par and graphics and sound effects are below PSX rendering.

The show blends their VG personas too much with their "real life" personas... okay, let's assume Raquel Crashenburn is in a real game, does the instruction mannuel explain that she is married to Rip? The fact she went straight from "home" to "work" with no transistion made no sense....

Their kids are idiotic ideas too... it's a total cop out to make them "average kids" with no game assignments yet.

I actually don't mind their pet though, he seems like he could actually be in a game as the Daxter style side-kick.

This picture is unusally orange no?

ZamIAm
1184th Post

"Re(4):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 21:39post reply

quote:
I watched...

You'd think the lovely Oddworld reference and the fact Patrick Warburton, Racheal Dratch, and E.G.Daily (I like to call her "Eiji" so if I ever type such when refering to the show, that's why) are amazing voice actors would have made this show an instant hit in my mind...

BUT IT'S SO EMBARASSING TO WATCH!!! The writing is sub-par and graphics and sound effects are below PSX rendering.

The show blends their VG personas too much with their "real life" personas... okay, let's assume Raquel Crashenburn is in a real game, does the instruction mannuel explain that she is married to Rip? The fact she went straight from "home" to "work" with no transistion made no sense....

Their kids are idiotic ideas too... it's a total cop out to make them "average kids" with no game assignments yet.

I actually don't mind their pet though, he seems like he could actually be in a game as the Daxter style side-kick.

I'm thinking it is rough around the edges with it being the first show. Hopefully they'll learn to adjust to their characters a little better as the season progresses. I think the kids will get assignments (which are more or less jobs for this world) in future episodes since I've seen a BMX type thing in the previews.

Dr Baghead
2871th Post

"Re(5):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Wed 10 Mar 21:50post reply

quote:
I'm thinking it is rough around the edges with it being the first show. Hopefully they'll learn to adjust to their characters a little better as the season progresses. I think the kids will get assignments (which are more or less jobs for this world) in future episodes since I've seen a BMX type thing in the previews.

It could be rough around the edges, or it could be lazy! either way I'll keep watching -__- (the voice cast, minus Lucy Liu, is too good to skip the show) but that doesn't mean I condone or endorse it.

This picture is unusally orange no?

Gen
2562th Post

"Re(2):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Thu 11 Mar 02:40post reply

quote:

hehehe
nice reference

I'm just gessing based on a couple episodes, but probably "hard core" game and animation fans won't like the show, and people who don't like games won't like the show. That leaves people who play games and will like the show because it references "them", which is a thin reason to like a serries to me.

Think happy thoughts.

"Everybody loves baklava! Crispier flakier crust!"
German for Sacrificial virgin: Opferjungfrau

Ammadeau
798th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):UPN Game Over sitcom premieres tonight" , posted Thu 11 Mar 03:38post reply

quote:
I'm just gessing based on a couple episodes, but probably "hard core" game and animation fans won't like the show, and people who don't like games won't like the show. That leaves people who play games and will like the show because it references "them", which is a thin reason to like a serries to me.

Works for Penny Arcade.