[an error occurred while processing this directive] What should I get? A GC or an XBox? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

talbaineric
5886th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 11:11post reply

I'm debating on this. I'm not too sure.

I kind of want a GC,only for Viewtiful Joe. But the rest of the GC's lineup of games don't interest me really.

On the other hand,I want an XBox,for DOA3. I'm not sure.

I already have a Playstation 2,a GBA,and a Dreamcast. Now I'm debating on the next next-gen console I should I get. Let's put it to a vote,which should I get?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

And yes,I need the third option badly,too. :p

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.

Replies:

Iggy
2941th Post

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 12:24post reply

Definitely.

...人はパンツをセンタク機にほうり込むのは、どんな時だ?
答えは一つ。
...それを脱いだ時、だぜ。

beto
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 14:14:post reply

Most good games for GameCube are also on X-Box and they look better in it.

The only reasons to buy a GC are

1) you´re a Nintendo freak
2) you´re a "Microsoft sucks" freak

P.S: You like fighting games, so i would also ask if you want SNKP ports. Because GC is not getting any.

[this message was edited by beto on Tue 9 Mar 14:18]

Radish
2300th Post

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 14:46:post reply

quote:
Most good games for GameCube are also on X-Box and they look better in it.

The only reasons to buy a GC are

1) you´re a Nintendo freak
2) you´re a "Microsoft sucks" freak

P.S: You like fighting games, so i would also ask if you want SNKP ports. Because GC is not getting any.

Well there are some interesting Gamecube titles like the new Harvest Moon game, Viewtiful Joe, PSO Yugioh III (or whatever it's called) and the new Resident Evil game. Overall though I think the XBox has some more promising stuff like being able to play fighting games online and stuff.

I don't own either, and with the exception of a $1.99 Saturn game I bought to play imports with the swap trick I haven't gotten a new console game since Disgaea came out so I may not be the best source on new titles...

[this message was edited by Radish on Tue 9 Mar 14:47]

Juke Joint Jezebel
2736th Post

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 16:05:post reply

you're a furry freak, aren't you? the GC does have the Sonic Mega Collection (along with some other games. but i doubt you'd like any of those other games.) there's also Animal Crossing. more furries!

EDIT:
beto, please refer to my avatar before posting anything

Dance or fade out.

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Tue 9 Mar 16:07]

JJWE
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 16:17post reply

Why isn't "a life" an option? :p

(I know I could use one...)

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

Adon
1332th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 16:33post reply

I have seen your spastic Mongoloid avatar other places JJJ. For TBE spend your endeavors on option 3

OYashiroForever
737th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 16:43post reply

Laid.

But if you have to choose a console, I'd sadly have to say the Xbox. While the GC has several excellent games (Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Viewtiful Joe, Metroid, Zelda, etc.), the Xbox gets all of the best ports, will soon be the home of SNK's ports, and, due to Microsoft's unbridled hubris and stupidity, can be modded in to the "ultimate gaming machine".

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Minuteman
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 17:03post reply

quote:
Laid.

due to Microsoft's unbridled hubris and stupidity, can be modded in to the "ultimate gaming machine".

Yup, I agree. I would say buy a GC, because I personally prefer more games for that system.

BUT, if you (or someone you know) has decent mod-skills, get a cheap xbox (ebay or wait until price drop) buy a 180 GIG HD(or smaller/bigger) and a mod chip and you will be SET (provided, of course, you have the means to acquire your preferred gaming entertainment software)...My friend has an 80 GIG HD in his Xbox and now can basically play ANY and EVERY NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, and GameGear game, stores about 50 or so Xbox games on the HD (essentially no load times), plays mp3's and plays DiVX movies. Enjoy!

DarkZero
655th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 17:21post reply

Option 4: Just Get Some New Games

The fact that you're not sure about which console to get may be an indication that you don't really need a new one. Unless there's a single system that's continuously pumping out new games that leave you in a puddle of your own drool, there's really no need for a new console. There are more quality PS2 and GBA games than I've been able to keep up with, but my GameCube has been collecting dust, and while the Xbox definitely has the best multiplatform games, they're usually not THAT much better than the PS2. At least, not so much better that it warrants buying a new system for them. The only game that I can think of where the reviews said that the Xbox version was immensely better than the PS2 is Sonic Heroes, but that was just because the PS2 version of Sonic Heroes was botched. The PS2's hardware isn't very powerful compared to its rivals, but it's sort of suspicious that there's only one game that had any reviewer stressing that you MUST NOT buy the PS2 version.

The cost of a new Xbox and two or three new games for it could easily buy five or six new PS2 games or nine or ten new GBA games, so I think it's worth considering the boring option. Just a thought, though.

Kaepora
308th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 17:22post reply

Go where the games are.

Take that as you will...

Toxico
3499th Post

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 17:42:post reply

quote:
Why isn't "a life" an option? :p

(I know I could use one...)

Damn you, you beat me to it.

What does TE needs?? A day job, that's for sure.

For the record I stand with Dark Zeron in this issue; but if YOU MUST buy a console please do realize that with the X-box you can download every game that there is with decent net connection and play them in the Hdd (I know, a friend of mine has almost all of them); plus you got really got emus for X-box if you are into these things.

edit: like exodus said; X-box can run mame BUT NOT PROPERLY.

GC sill has some good points, here a GC is WAAAAYYYY cheaper than a GBA SP, or even a GBA

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 9 Mar 19:02]

exodus
1810th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 18:37post reply

xbox can play MAME.

But you should probably get a gamecube.

OmegaDog
1138th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 19:28post reply

Console-wise, most important notes have already been mentioned. Another strength for an (unmodded or mod-undetectable) XBox is its heavy emphasis for on-line gaming, which I'd at least be in favor of. Though, you'd need broadband service.

Myself, I'll be getting a GC first, just because it's cheaper and smaller -- and there are plenty of games I can play on there while I wait for the Xbox to drop in price (or, while I wait to see if Microsoft introduces a smaller XBox model).

In other news:

According to this interview, the Furry Videogame Database closed down.
[JJJ, I hold your voodoo-dance boy responsible for this]

"I must pay for my past sins... Let's fight!""I have no choice. You will lose!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 17 |

Crazymike
856th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 19:35post reply

Like some people are saying, get an Xbox, or better yet, get it modded.

I enjoy playing all the old NES, Genesis, and SNES games on the Xbox.

Satoshi_Miwa
2603th Post

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 19:39post reply

Ngage! You be sidetalkin Yo!

Now, I just need to watch JJJ's av a bit longer to see the subliminal messages...

Separated at Birth?

talbaineric
5891th Post

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 19:57post reply

Yeah,I've been thinking more on it. And yeah,the GC's lineup seems more kid-oriented. Lots of games for it,more so than the other systems.

JJJ:.....I'm at a loss of words at the moment. Please get back to me after I fufill the third option.

Toxico: LOL. Nah. I gots a day job,educational assistant at an elementary school(no pay good),and booyah!

I'm not anti-Microsoft. Bill Gates never did anything to me.

Ammadeau
789th Post

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 20:16post reply

quote:
Yeah,I've been thinking more on it. And yeah,the GC's lineup seems more kid-oriented. Lots of games for it,more so than the other systems.

Look closer. GC has the least amount of games released for it out of all three current systems. Xbox has nearly double the number of games out/coming out and PS2 is like ten times GC, especially if you include imports.

I'd also vote for not getting a new system at all and get more games instead. Additional consoles are more trouble than it's worth. My xbox and ps2 controller cords keep getting tangled.

CrazyMike
858th Post

"Re(4):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 20:33post reply

Another thing to consider is the time frame. Unfortunately, the console wars are so heated now, that Playstation 3, Xbox 2, and Gamecube 2 are coming out in the not too far future. Maybe you could get more games now, and then pick up the systems and the games you missed out on when the new systems come out, reducing the price of the old generation?

Fuchikoma
941th Post

"Re(5):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 21:07post reply

You have to weigh the pros and cons... judging from what games you seem to like from what I've seen, I'd say you should go for a Gamecube... although if it's for Viewtiful Joe only, keep in mind a PS2 port is coming.

Gamecube- $99- Mario, Zelda, Metroid. If you're a Jak and Daxter fan and a Sly Cooper fan... you'd be crazy to not love Mario Sunshine and Windwaker. Namco has a couple interesting RPGs on the system as well as Donkey Konga and Starfox. F-zero GX already has a sequel coming. Mario Kart Double Dash is hella fun...just because a game is fun and colorful... it doesn't mean it's meant only for kids. Keep in mind that GCN also has more exclusive games than X-box... most games like POP: Sands of Time, Metal Arms, etc all have PS2 versions as well. Also Gamecube games will be backwards compatible with the next Nintendo system.

Just to be fair though... X-box- dropping to $130 in May. Better online capabilities with online 2-d fighters as well as DOA online coming. Ninja Gaiden is unbelievably awesome. DOA 4 and Code Chronis also coming... but Tecmo can't carry the system alone. Sega's pretty much given up on X-box, deciding to port Outrun 2 to PS2. Halo 2 should be good though... although I don't really see how the first Halo was so revolutional..... X-box games will NOT be compatible with X-box 2.

Dragon-warrior
1097th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 21:31:post reply

Go for the GC bro you gona LOVE IT , ZELDA alone is worth it! add metroid and RE it is GOOD!
nothing against the Xbox but I really don't see any Great games Expect 2 Ninja Gaiden (Duh!) and the super hyped Halo2 (u like FPS?), about 2D fighting games on Xbox IMO it wasn't worth it , lag kills the gameplay this is 2D 1 sec means ALOT!(think you doing a Shoryuken .. and the game lags when u press the Puch button?!?! happend alot to me!)there is some really good players with a good connection but good luck finding one of them, also when I though Online 2D fighting games I wanted to play with JP people but it is almost impossible to find a good JP player in skill and connection so for me it wasn't what I expected.
Xbox plays DVDs :P

[this message was edited by Dragon-warrior on Tue 9 Mar 21:33]

celsius
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 00:47post reply

GameCube, especially if you already have a PS2.

Gamecube has games that are unique to it that you can't get the other systems while PS2 and X-box share more of the same games.

RPG's:
Lost Kingdoms I & II
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Tales of Symphonia (due 7/30/04)
Baten Kaitos (due Q4, 2004)
Phantasy Star Online: Episode III C.A.R.D Revolution
Tales of Legendia (due in JP later this year)
Evolution Worlds
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Pokemon Colosseum

Nintendo's games:
Custom Robo: Battle Revolution
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Pikmin 1 & 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Super Mario 128 (due out later)
Mario Tennis & Kart
The Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords Plus
Eternal Darkness
Another Zelda Sequel

Other Exclusive games:
Resident Evil series (Remake, 0 and 4)
Viewtiful Joe
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Ikaruga
P.N.03
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Megaman Network: Transmission
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Ace Pilot (due out in Jp this month and later this year for US)

Only problem is the lack of Fighters, but if you own a PS2 then your covered.

"What? Sarah! Look not upon me with doubting eyes." - Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

Kikkoken
634th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 01:19post reply

GC, especially if you already have a PS2 and a PC.

Ammadeau
794th Post

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 01:39post reply

quote:
Gamecube has games that are unique to it that you can't get the other systems while PS2 and X-box share more of the same games.

If I had to list all the exclusive PS2 games I would exceed my word count by nth degree. The PS2 has more exclusives released solely in Japan than GC has all together. The reason PS2 and Xbox share games is because 3rd parties have been dropping support of the GC left and right. Xbox has very few exclusives, but it usually gets the best versions of ports.

A number of the games you listed were released on other systems or superficial updates to existing games. And games that won't be coming for six months or more are hardly a reason to buy a system now.

Really, the only reason anyone should buy a system is because it has a game on it that you can't find anywhere else. It's the reason I bought DC, Xbox, and JPS2. The GC could have a 100 exclusives and it wouldn't matter if someone doesn't actually want them.

Jigsaw
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 08:41post reply

I own an Xbox, and I don't regret buying it one bit. I wouldn't mind owning a GC though, if it weren't for the fact that a friend of mine does, and he's got pretty much all interesting games... and I'd feel pretty dumb buying games I could just as easily borrow.. but eh, whatever.
Xbox has lots of games (coming SNK ports with online support, among others), and the best controller, IMO (the Controller-S is the best controller ever) not to mention there's no need to bother with memory cards! That alone is a great reason to choose XB over any other console.
And like some people mentioned, install a modchip and a bigger HD in your box, and you'll get the most badass entertainment system money can buy.

emeraldazn
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 08:47post reply

xbox has ninja gaiden..simple as that

Dr Baghead
2867th Post

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 09:14post reply

quote:
LOL. Nah. I gots a day job,educational assistant at an elementary school(no pay good),and booyah!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the reason behind America's failing education system: No hirring standards.

Hey! Did you know Tim Curry was originally cast to play the Joker in Batman:the Animated series? MAN! how odd would that have been? I mean Curry's good, but he's not Hammil good... and he would have total come off as a date-rapist when he inacted with Harley...

....anyway, get an XBox, because it's good to play together (or whatever their shitty motto is now) Plus if you want it for DoA3 you'll probably also want to get DoAUltimate, DoA:Code Chronos (if that's even a real game in planning anymore), DoA4, DoAX, and Ninja Gaiden... that's a lot to play.

If all you want a GC for is Viewtiful Joe, rent it for a weekend of something.

This picture is unusally orange no?

celsius
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:03post reply

quote:
If I had to list all the exclusive PS2 games I would exceed my word count by nth degree. The PS2 has more exclusives released solely in Japan than GC has all together. The reason PS2 and Xbox share games is because 3rd parties have been dropping support of the GC left and right. Xbox has very few exclusives, but it usually gets the best versions of ports.

But if you already own a PS2 why would you want to spend more money for a console that offers you more of the same? Especially if you already have a high-end PC for the better versions of X-box's FPS games. Also, regarding the best version of the ports. Most of the time they are only slightly better than that of the GCN versions. For the EA games, you'll probably want to get it on PS2 anyways. A lot of the games that are noticeably better aren't that great of a game in the first palce. Sure you can have a better version of Turok: Evolution, but why would you want it?

quote:
A number of the games you listed were released on other systems or superficial updates to existing games. And games that won't be coming for six months or more are hardly a reason to buy a system now.

I listed 3 games that have appeared on the DC. That's it. The rest are exclusive to the GCN. And future games should be taken into consideration on top of what's already out. Or else everyone would've bought an X-box only for Halo at launch. If your planning on getting a GCN for Tales of Legendia anyways, then why not get it now for the other games your interested in too?

quote:

Really, the only reason anyone should buy a system is because it has a game on it that you can't find anywhere else. It's the reason I bought DC, Xbox, and JPS2. The GC could have a 100 exclusives and it wouldn't matter if someone doesn't actually want them.

I agree. Notice how I didn't list the crappy exclusives (Maybe Evolution Worlds, but a few people enjoy it).

Bottom line: Which console has games in which you are more into? The X-box excels in FPS's and onlinegaming. The GCN excels in Multiplayer games and uniqueness. Whcihever console's games interests you the most is the console of your choice.

Also, whether you have the right equipment: GBA, Friends and Broadband connection.

"What? Sarah! Look not upon me with doubting eyes." - Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

Fro Boy11
1918th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 20:11post reply

quote:
I'm debating on this. I'm not too sure.

I kind of want a GC,only for Viewtiful Joe. But the rest of the GC's lineup of games don't interest me really.

On the other hand,I want an XBox,for DOA3. I'm not sure.

I already have a Playstation 2,a GBA,and a Dreamcast. Now I'm debating on the next next-gen console I should I get. Let's put it to a vote,which should I get?

And yes,I need the third option badly,too. :p

I voted for the 3rd choice too homey.

Still waiting for a Dan Hibiki and Robert Garcia dream match!

ShinYagami
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 21:03post reply

I had a couple of paragraphs typed out, but I'll say, get an XB. :3

ShinYagami. MMCafe patron in and out since 2000 :3

talbaineric
5894th Post

"Re(4):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 13:27post reply

quote:
LOL. Nah. I gots a day job,educational assistant at an elementary school(no pay good),and booyah!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the reason behind America's failing education system: No hirring standards.

Scandolous! Why you bastard.

Seems like the GC people have it 24 voted for it. 18 for the X,and 24 for Laid.

Time Mage
1826th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 13:39post reply

Well, I have to ask... Wat the hell is "Laid"? I don't know the word and my dictionary says it's a verb, but that doesn't make much sense...

Help a poor ignorant here ;_;

Juan
3871th Post

"Re(6):What should I get? A GC or an XBox?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 13:44:post reply

Its slang for sexo.

WHY AM I POSTING IN THIS THREAD HELP

quote:
Wat the hell is "Laid"? I don't know the word and my dictionary says it's a verb, but that doesn't make much sense...

Help a poor ignorant here ;_;

STFU

[this message was edited by Juan on Thu 11 Mar 13:54]