[an error occurred while processing this directive] Dash Taisen back online - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Dash no Chris
228th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Dash Taisen back online" , posted Mon 8 Mar 22:19post reply

Don't know how many of you remember my old website, Dash Taisen, but for those that do, I just wanted to let you know that I'm bringing the site back. The old site was taken offline 2 years ago, having not been updated for about the last 18 months of its existence. I reopened the site last week -- right now, it's simply a new frontpage, but I'll be adding new pages and opening each section of the site periodically. I'm going to attempt as much bilingual content as I can, both for Japanese readers and those non-Japanese who are students of the language. If there's a particular portion of the site that you'd like to see given attention first, please let me know -- I'd like to try concentrating updates in the sections that are of interest to the majority of the site's readers.

--Chris

Replies:

Gen
2551th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Hooray!" , posted Mon 8 Mar 22:26post reply

quote:
Don't know how many of you remember my old website, Dash Taisen, but for those that do, I just wanted to let you know that I'm bringing the site back. The old site was taken offline 2 years ago, having not been updated for about the last 18 months of its existence. I reopened the site last week -- right now, it's simply a new frontpage, but I'll be adding new pages and opening each section of the site periodically. I'm going to attempt as much bilingual content as I can, both for Japanese readers and those non-Japanese who are students of the language. If there's a particular portion of the site that you'd like to see given attention first, please let me know -- I'd like to try concentrating updates in the sections that are of interest to the majority of the site's readers.

--Chris

Hooray!

Gen
2553th Post

"Re(1):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Mon 8 Mar 22:45post reply

Dash, I had coppied your idea for listing character birthdays on a web site, though I haven't uploaded it. I figured you probably wouldn't mind as you hadn't updated them for several years. I sent a few emails to all the old address on your site before but I guess none of them were still running.
So anyway this reminded me to ask, would you mind if another site had a similar listing of character birthdays?
There's other sites that have birthday lists, but your site was where I got the inspiration from.
I have it on disk somewhere around here... As it was, it was just a calander with birthdays coppied mostly out of SNK and Capcom books, no pictures.

Dash no Chris
230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Mon 8 Mar 22:49post reply

quote:
Dash, I had coppied your idea for listing character birthdays on a web site, though I haven't uploaded it. would you mind if another site had a similar listing of character birthdays?

No problem at all. As you said, there are a number of other websites (a whole mess of them on the Japanese end of the web) with similar birthday lists -- the more, the merrier. : )

--Chris

Gen
2554th Post

"Thanks" , posted Mon 8 Mar 22:52post reply

quote:
Dash, I had coppied your idea for listing character birthdays on a web site, though I haven't uploaded it. would you mind if another site had a similar listing of character birthdays?
No problem at all. As you said, there are a number of other websites (a whole mess of them on the Japanese end of the web) with similar birthday lists -- the more, the merrier. : )

--Chris

Thanks

OmegaDog
1137th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Mon 8 Mar 23:09post reply

Heh -- I had used Dash Taisen as a source for learning the titles of the tracks in Third Strike. I had also used it to confirm that the Third Strike soundtrack I received off eBay was indeed counterfeit...

... heh -- either way, I remember the original site. Good to see it back.

"I must pay for my past sins... Let's fight!""I have no choice. You will lose!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 17 |

Iggy
2936th Post

"Re(1):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 01:09post reply

quote:
Sister to Kazuki and Sogetsu, Hazuki is 232 this year.

Ahahahaha! Poor girl, I'm afraid she won't have dirty tentacle doujin made about her with this kind of information spread around the net !

ゝ ̄ヽ√\   
        / ,>ヘ、ヽヽ 
       /  〆 ゚∀゚| /ソ 
        | l/     / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/    
      ノイ(.∬.つ /  SNK  /       /!/!_/!   
      .|\旦\/____/\      ヽ人/ヽ;;;;/ 
     /\.\.          \ _    (゚Д゚ #)ゝ DANGORUAH!
   /   \| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄| \ /ノ  (⌒つ (I love this site. But what about us?)
   \    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄\ \    | |
     \   /.              \  >―. し
       .ソ___________ノ

...人はパンツをセンタク機にほうり込むのは、どんな時だ?
答えは一つ。
...それを脱いだ時、だぜ。

Siegfried
342th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 01:37post reply

Great to see it back! I never appreciated it until it was gone, so I had to use the Web Archive to navigate the site.

It would be nice to have something written concerning the authencity of the mooks. Some people don't seem to believe that the information in them is actually canon.

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/

IkariDC
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 03:25post reply

Glad to see it back online! I remember I first visited the site when I was searching a tracklist, and then I discovered it was a site with a great bunch of useful information.

As you say, it seems you have a hell of a work to do...

ZamIAm
1178th Post

"!!!" , posted Tue 9 Mar 05:42post reply

Your the one who did Dash Taisen??? Whoa. I saved entire pages of the site before it went down.

Black people: WE KNOW DRAMA

Ishmael
1233th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):!!!" , posted Tue 9 Mar 06:55post reply

The first version of Dash Taisen was a great site and it's good to see it's coming back.

Luisinan
796th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 06:59post reply

Good to see it back too!

Bored? "160"

Fygee
977th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 10:37post reply

You're my hero Chris. ;)

Dash no Chris
231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 12:03post reply

quote:
Sister to Kazuki and Sogetsu, Hazuki is 232 this year.

Ahahahaha! Poor girl, I'm afraid she won't have dirty tentacle doujin made about her with this kind of information spread around the net !

Ah, but as long as we have Professor Brown Sugar and his incredible Time Machine, we can have dirty tentacle doujin of any character, at any age -- they just won't get my money unless the girls look at least old enough to buy a beer. Al's my favorite character in LAST EXILE, but drawing her naked will get you a quick punch in the mouth. : )
quote:
Great to see it back! I never appreciated it until it was gone, so I had to use the Web Archive to navigate the site. It would be nice to have something written concerning the authencity of the mooks. Some people don't seem to believe that the information in them is actually canon.

I'm especially looking forward to posting a section I'm lovingly referring to as the Poison Has A Penis Page -- scans, translations, and artwork galore. Been itching to put this one together for the last couple of years, if only for the sheer number of burst forehead veins it'll generate. : p
quote:
You're my hero Chris. ;)

Then get on down to Gameland one of these days and challenge my Kokuuin Kanji in Matrimelee! Tsubaki met the locals last Sunday -- now it's your turn! ; )

I just want to thank everybody for the kind words of support, especially given the folks doing the well-wishing: you guys just happen to be among the mmcafe members I hold in highest regard -- I can never go wrong reading a post by any of those who've replied to this thread. Now if RugalBernstein, Saiki, Sano, and TiamatRoar would post some feedback here, I think I'd just about have the compelete set. : P

Speaking of feedback, do any of you have a particular section of the site (or a particular game) that you'd like to see me work on first as I start re-working the site?

--Chris

ZamIAm
1179th Post

"'Taisen" , posted Tue 9 Mar 12:41post reply

quote:
Speaking of feedback, do any of you have a particular section of the site (or a particular game) that you'd like to see me work on first as I start re-working the site?

Tough to say. I'd lean more towards either the beginner based stuff (those various translation guides you had) or uploading the old stuff as placeholders as you freshen the look.

Jazzie D
2306th Post

"Reminder to self: buy more Phoenix Downs" , posted Tue 9 Mar 12:51post reply

Oh, this is good to hear! At the time, it was the only site to bring the list of the "SFIII" seiyuu. Whee!

Okay. I'm being too hyper now. I'm trying to stay awake.

Tomo - Kimura-sensei why did you become a teacher?
Kimura-sensei - CUZ I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS AND STUFF!

Latest episode of "Area 88's" television series - 8.

Latest episode of "Area 88's" television series with a translation - 4.

Siegfried
343th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Reminder to self: buy more Phoenix Down" , posted Tue 9 Mar 13:18post reply

I would like to see translations of mooks for games not already covered on Fighter Mania, like Art of Fighting, maybe Buriki-One, Kabuki Klash...

I mean, there are already huge FAQs for SF, DS, SS and KoF, so why add more to them?

I love the Poison page idea. I'll be sure to reference it.

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/

Dash no Chris
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Obscurata" , posted Tue 9 Mar 15:45:post reply

quote:
I'd lean more towards either the beginner based stuff (those various translation guides you had) or uploading the old stuff as placeholders as you freshen the look.

The Japanese terminology glossary and the Japan-to-U.S. game title / character name conversion pages will be among the first things I'll be adding to the site. There are a lot more gaijin studying Japanese these days (compared to 6 years ago, when the first incarnation of Dash Taisen was launched), but I think there'd still be plenty of readers who'd raise a quizzical eyebrow at things like "hissatsuwaza," "kouryakubon," and "Tengai Makyou Shinden."

I've considered putting some of the old pages back up -- as "placeholders," as you say ZamIAm -- but I'm going to see how the reformats/rewrites go first. I'd prefer to keep the placeholder option as sort of a last resort, but I will keep it an option nonetheless.
quote:
I would like to see translations of mooks for games not already covered on Fighter Mania, like Art of Fighting, maybe Buriki-One, Kabuki Klash... I mean, there are already huge FAQs for SF, DS, SS and KoF, so why add more to them? I love the Poison page idea. I'll be sure to reference it.

Good point, Siegfried. There are plenty of fighting games out there that haven't got the attention they deserve -- Konami's "Dragoon Might" (1995) being foremost in my mind (bought the motherboard while I was in Japan for New Year's, and I've been having an absolute blast playing it). I'd like to make sure that the better-known titles (SF, DS, SS and KoF) get a share of my attention -- partly because they might be more in demand, but also because I'm never really satisfied with any Japanese technique name translations other than my own -- but all the obscure titles in my collection really need to get written up. Back in 1998, emulation was nowhere near as big as it is now. The hard-to-find titles were actually hard-to-find, so the more popular titles made Dash Taisen a little more useful to the average gamer (and since the arcades here in Las Vegas only got the more popular titles, writing technique charts for these games helped me be a little more competitive). Nowadays, just about everything is available in either emulated or console-ported form -- the hard-to-find titles aren't really all that hard-to-find anymore. Art of Fighting, Buriki-One, and Kabuki Klash are definitely good nominees. I'd started working on technique guides for the AoF series just prior to the old Dash Taisen's demise, and I plan to get Buriki-One and a Rev.2 Hyper NEO-GEO 64 mobo later this year (right now, I've just got a lonesome Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION B-board) -- I don't think a Buriki-One mook was ever produced, but I've got every NEO-GEO FREAK that covered the game so that should do nearly as nicely. Damn, but I'm getting excited about bringing the site back! : )

BTW, Siegfried -- I had you pegged as one of the first to voice your support for a "Dammit, Poison's a man -- just deal with it, already!" page. Cheers!

--Chris

[this message was edited by Dash no Chris on Tue 9 Mar 15:46]

Shintaro Katsu
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Obscurata" , posted Tue 9 Mar 17:22post reply

frankly this is excellent news
and regards to things i agree with the obscure games info theres tons of fighters ive proibabaly never even heard of that id like to see a little about
i wouldent mind soem info on Asura Blade if thats possible
once again excellent news and nice to see that the scene remains strong in the face of dwindeling development of the games

ZamIAm
1180th Post

"Re(2):Obscurata" , posted Tue 9 Mar 17:40post reply

Might be a waste, but any info for the N64 fighter Deadly Arts AKA G.A.S.P. Fighters Nextreme?

Ultima
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"My fault" , posted Tue 9 Mar 18:24post reply

Good to see Dash no Taisen is back!

Hey Chris, about that Poison thing, I dunno if you remember, but you remember those massive threads waaaaaay back on alt.games.sf2 that dealt with this topic? The ones where you posted proof from old arcade mags, down to their page numbers, to prove your case?

Well, *I* was the one who started it all. :|

I saw the reference in some odd Second Impact FAQ somewhere, found it to be very strange, and asked the question on alt.games.sf2. Nick Rox (of old GameFan [strike]infamy[/strike] fame) was the first to confirm it, and I think you were second. You can still find those news threads by searching on google.

The topic got buried for a few years (I think, it might have still been rampaging on the newsgroup all along, since I haven't paid any attention to it since SRK went online), until the whole SF storyline thread restarted on SRK and someone brought the topic back up. And now everyone knows it. :p

So yeah... I get the blame for brigning the topic into the forefront, or at least the first person to do so.

*HAs been a SF story canon scrub long before the likes of Tiamat or sano were even aware of such a thing ;) *

--
Ultima - The Right arm of Scrub Voltron
http://uramble.com/index.html - U's Rambling Page

Rugalbernstein
4979th Post

"Re(1):Obscurata" , posted Tue 9 Mar 18:31:post reply

quote:
maybe Buriki-One,
Please do so, I'd love to actually see a movelist for that game..

Edit: Care to post some impressions of "Dragoon Might"? I've had my eye on it for a year now...

Best site EVER: Link Here

[this message was edited by Rugalbernstein on Tue 9 Mar 19:19]

Puar
639th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Dash Taisen back online" , posted Tue 9 Mar 19:33post reply

Great to see the site back online, Chris!

"You should get to know me better no one's every what they seem..."

Dash no Chris
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Obscurata" , posted Tue 9 Mar 20:06:post reply

quote:
frankly this is excellent news. and regards to things i agree with the obscure games info theres tons of fighters ive proibabaly never even heard of that id like to see a little about. i wouldent mind soem info on Asura Blade if thats possible. once again excellent news and nice to see that the scene remains strong in the face of dwindeling development of the games

God, yes -- Asura Blade & Asura Buster. Very high on my must-get motherboards list. Played the hell out of Asura Blade in my bud's fave game center in Atsugi-shi back in '99. It'll take a spot of digging, but I know I've got technique guides for both of these in my Gamest back-issues. Just discovered Asura Blade in a folder of MAME roms my friend put on my computer when he helped me install my new harddrive (I probably haven't even seen 2% of what's in that folder).
quote:
Might be a waste, but any info for the N64 fighter Deadly Arts AKA G.A.S.P. Fighters Nextreme?

I've spent the last couple of years scrounging up every cheap, used, Japanese PS1 fighter I could find. I avoided N64 until last month, when I got 2 from Electronics Boutique for $20. Later this year I hope to start collecting the fighters on that system, so while a G.A.S.P!! technique guide won't be seen any time soon, it will eventually turn up.
quote:
Good to see Dash no Taisen is back!

Holy crap -- Ultima! Dude, I'd completely forgotten that I'd seen you post here from time to time! How've you been, man?
quote:
Hey Chris, about that Poison thing, I dunno if you remember, but you remember those massive threads waaaaaay back on alt.games.sf2 that dealt with this topic? The ones where you posted proof from old arcade mags, down to their page numbers, to prove your case?

Hell yeah, I remember those threads! Over the last few years, my lazy ass cut'n'pasted my old alt.games.sf2 posts (accessed via Google) into several threads on the Poison topic in other forums (most recently, over at www.neo-geo.com when the early character roster was being announced for SVC Chaos). IIRC, there was an a.g.sf2 user named Black Dragon who used to like to write up his ideas for how obscure, left-behind CAPCOM characters (like Joe, Geki, Poison, etc.) might appear if they were updated for inclusion in a new fighter. I remember he stubbornly refused to accept the fact that Poison's a guy ("But, she's got breasts!"). But mostly I remember that you were one of the only other a.g.sf2 users who backed the "he's a dude, dude" side of the argument. Good times, man... : )

--Chris

[this message was edited by Dash no Chris on Tue 9 Mar 20:07]

TiamatRoar
664th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):My fault" , posted Wed 10 Mar 00:11post reply

Ah, I remember when I was first hit by the sledge hammer of canon scrubbery wannabe-ness. I went dashing all over the place looking for authentic information to record down then remembered Chris's site. But when I went there, to my horror, it was gone! The only thing I had left in its memory was the move list of Juni and Juli with the names of even their normals that I took from the site a long time ago for the purpose of fanfic writing (probably the only remotely canon thing in that fanfic, too, come to think of it. Eh, impossible to stick to canon when you don't even have a picture of the twelve Dolls to go by and friggin' had to constantly fight Juni and Juli over and over looking at their battle introduction to figure out what the others looked like then realizing to your horror that there were only 9 of them there... er, anyway...)

Dash no Taisen coming back is cool beans! Lots of people have been asking for ISBN numbers of various books and CDs and stuff that Dash no Taisen was great for finding before it went down. And the Poison page sounds like fun >:)

quote:

*HAs been a SF story canon scrub long before the likes of Tiamat or sano were even aware of such a thing ;) *

Shamefully enough, what made me into an SF story canon scrub was a post on the cammyfan message boards. Granted, it was a copy and pasted post from an SF mailing list copying and pasting a whole crapload of stuff that Saiki said about the canon plotline but it was still at cammyfan. Eh.

http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/faqs/SFplotguide40.txt

ZamIAm
1182th Post

"Re(3):Obscurata" , posted Wed 10 Mar 16:23post reply

quote:

I've spent the last couple of years scrounging up every cheap, used, Japanese PS1 fighter I could find. I avoided N64 until last month, when I got 2 from Electronics Boutique for $20. Later this year I hope to start collecting the fighters on that system, so while a G.A.S.P!! technique guide won't be seen any time soon, it will eventually turn up.

I was more comment on the quality of the game which is...rough around the edges. I was more of wanting info on character storylines (only vague stuff in the US manual) and the character edit.