[an error occurred while processing this directive] ...but the Soul still burns - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Gojira
1328th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 15:49post reply

Well, Sammo Hung gave up on trying a Soul Calibur movie, so it looks like Hollywood is stepping in.

Quoth IGN:
quote:
March 03, 2004 - Namco's popular fighting game, Soul Calibur, is coming to the big screen courtesy of producer Warren Zide (American Pie, Final Destination). The Hollywood Reporter tips that Zide has just acquired the movie rights to the game which will be the first at his new Sony-based production company, Anthem Pictures.

The story revolves around two warriors who are chosen by Shaolin monks to recover and destroy a powerful sword, Soul Edge, that has fallen into the hands of an evil prince who plans to use it to open the gates of hell and destroy the world.

Two warriors chosen by Shaolin monks? Evil prince? Hoo boy...

ROSHIIIIIII!!!

Replies:

Maou
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 16:02post reply

More importantly: who will play Voldo?!

I thought they'd realized that campy movies based on games don't work?

Maou

RugalBernstein
4969th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 16:07post reply

quote:

Vincent Price's corpse. Nah, he'll be CG, if he's even in the movie... Apparently there's this theory in Hollywood, "If the movie has anything to do with Asia, we have to stick Shaolin monks in it!"

Best site EVER: Link Here

threesixtee
775th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 16:42post reply

quote:
Apparently there's this theory in Hollywood, "If the movie has anything to do with Asia, we have to stick Shaolin monks in it!"

isn't kilik from a monastery? I forget the the story, but I thought him and xianghua had some connection to something of the sort...

Adon
1324th Post

"Re(2):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 19:10post reply

quote:

I thought they'd realized that campy movies based on games don't work?

Maou

Leader of the Pitt gaming/anime crew Mr .Stone

Courtesy of my cos play going days

Link Here

exodus
1806th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 19:23post reply

quote:
Well, Sammo Hung gave up on trying a Soul Calibur movie,

yeah, sammo hung's pretty smart, even though he really wants to be famous in hollywood.

Oroch
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 19:26post reply

quote:

yeah, sammo hung's pretty smart, even though he really wants to be famous in hollywood.

someone please name one good video game movie

i cant think of any :(

drinking
a bowl of green tea
i stopped the war.
-Zen Telegrams

Minuteman
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 20:16post reply

quote:

Dude - Resident Evil rocked! (I'm serious!) It was the perfect B-movie that did NOT take itself serious. The HIVE was cool and the hallway that slices & dices people was excellent. I mean, it's perfect - first there is one lazer beam, then two, then "oh my God you can not escape the HIVE!!!" HAAHAH!!! That was classic - can't wait for the second film!!

CrazyMike
851th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 20:19post reply

quote:

Well it depends on what you define "good". You are never going to get a "good" video game movie with drama and good acting etc. because there is just really no games that one could base a "good" film off of. Now there is "entertaining" video game movies. Mortal Kombat was cheesy but it was entertaining. The Street Fighter movie, now it was just plain out horrible, but its crappiness still entertained me, if not to laugh at it. And see Raul Julia trying to pimp Chun-Li in a Hefner robe.

OYashiroForever
731th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 21:53post reply

quote:
Well it depends on what you define "good". You are never going to get a "good" video game movie with drama and good acting etc. because there is just really no games that one could base a "good" film off of. Now there is "entertaining" video game movies. Mortal Kombat was cheesy but it was entertaining.
I felt the same way until I recently watched MK1 again... that movie has NOT aged well.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

KTallguy
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Thu 4 Mar 21:59post reply

quote:
Well it depends on what you define "good". You are never going to get a "good" video game movie with drama and good acting etc. because there is just really no games that one could base a "good" film off of. Now there is "entertaining" video game movies. Mortal Kombat was cheesy but it was entertaining.I felt the same way until I recently watched MK1 again... that movie has NOT aged well.

Yes... I agree. I was watching those martial art scenes that I thought were 'so cool' as a kid. Wow that stuff was slow and choppy =) Even that fight scene in the dining hall was slow as hell! I was like... in awe of how much my perspective has changed.

"Temae ja yaku busoku nan da yo!"

NARUTO
2210th Post

"Re(3):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Fri 5 Mar 02:33post reply

quote:

Exactly what I though

IkariDC
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Fri 5 Mar 03:08post reply

quote:

Exactly what I though

You must see "Future Cops", a Chinese film starring some well known actors, such as Andy Lau, Jacky Cheung, Aaron Kwok or Ekin Cheng.

The story is something like this: General Vega is sentenced to death in the year 20XX (I don't remember the exact year, but it's set in the future), so he sends his soldiers Ken, Sagat and Toyota (Honda, LOL!) to the year 1993 to kill the boy that will sentence Vega in the future. They go to the past just when they scaped from the Future Cops Ryu, Balrog, Guile and Dhalsim. These Future Cops will go to 1993 too, to protect the mentioned boy.

Man, this films is hilaryous! Just in the first minutes of the film, you'll see most of the special attacks of each character, in a really funny way. As you can see, the plot has nothing to do with Street Fighter, but it doesn't matter! Later more Street Fighter characters will appear, and also the main character of a famous anime... The scene were they enter a Mario Bros arcade is priceless!!

Get it, bring your friends and watch it, you won't regret it!! If you can't find it on the net, tell me and I'll share it through emule.

Undead Fred
1389th Post

"Re(1):...but the pee still burns" , posted Fri 5 Mar 03:39post reply

quote:
Well, Sammo Hung gave up on trying a Soul Calibur movie, so it looks like Hollywood is stepping in.

Quoth IGN:
March 03, 2004 - Namco's popular fighting game, Soul Calibur, is coming to the big screen courtesy of producer Warren Zide (American Pie, Final Destination). The Hollywood Reporter tips that Zide has just acquired the movie rights to the game which will be the first at his new Sony-based production company, Anthem Pictures.

The story revolves around two warriors who are chosen by Shaolin monks to recover and destroy a powerful sword, Soul Edge, that has fallen into the hands of an evil prince who plans to use it to open the gates of hell and destroy the world.

ARGH! What the hell??

Please tell me this is an early April Fool's joke... Ugh. I mean, Soul Calibur's not one of my FAVORITE games, but I do like it... and I hate to hear them destroying the story like that. Maybe... they'll... pretend... that two characters were special good guys or something? Then they'll put others in with other agendas? Here's an idea- when these people make these game movies... why not make the director immerse themselves in the games a little first? That way, maybe the movie will be like the games? I mean, the directors that are making movies from books actually read the books first, right?

Blech. This movie sounds really really bad already... "Okay, now in this scene, Mitsubishi or whatever that samer-eye guy's name is will GLUE HIS PENIS TO HIS LEG! HA! And then he'll try to bone a pie! I'm a genius."

BLARGBLARG PLACE YOUR BETS!

ZamIAm
1173th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"really?" , posted Fri 5 Mar 06:12post reply

quote:
I mean, the directors that are making movies from books actually read the books first, right?

You mean like LXG?

Black people: WE KNOW DRAMA

Hungrywolf
2712th Post

"Re(4):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Fri 5 Mar 11:43post reply

quote:

Well it depends on what you define "good". You are never going to get a "good" video game movie with drama and good acting etc. because there is just really no games that one could base a "good" film off of.

You are wrong. It is possible to make a good video game movie because there are plenty of games a good film could be made from. However, no one is making good films from them. Eventually I think they will. I mean, there are good comic book movies out now. This Soul Calibur movie deal really bothers me because it could be good if done properly, but it sounds like they've already botched it. They could make it a trilogy, ending the first movie of course, with Siegfried getting the Soul Edge and transforming into Nightmare, then make the others based on the second and third games. But they will ruin it. As for video game movies I liked, I liked the first Tomb Raider movie. I'm not a fan of the Tomb Raider games, but I liked the movie.

"no again my apoligizes for anyone i offend!!!!!"
Hungry Like the Wolf

lunatic
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Sun 7 Mar 19:28post reply

o man that movie was too hilarious, that's from so long ago! I think SFST was just about to come out, but that movie was just mad jokes. If u can find it u gotta watch it! Or if u wanna watch it u gotta find it =P

quote:

You must see "Future Cops", a Chinese film starring some well known actors, such as Andy Lau, Jacky Cheung, Aaron Kwok or Ekin Cheng.

The story is something like this: General Vega is sentenced to death in the year 20XX (I don't remember the exact year, but it's set in the future), so he sends his soldiers Ken, Sagat and Toyota (Honda, LOL!) to the year 1993 to kill the boy that will sentence Vega in the future. They go to the past just when they scaped from the Future Cops Ryu, Balrog, Guile and Dhalsim. These Future Cops will go to 1993 too, to protect the mentioned boy.

Man, this films is hilaryous! Just in the first minutes of the film, you'll see most of the special attacks of each character, in a really funny way. As you can see, the plot has nothing to do with Street Fighter, but it doesn't matter! Later more Street Fighter characters will appear, and also the main character of a famous anime... The scene were they enter a Mario Bros arcade is priceless!!

Get it, bring your friends and watch it, you won't regret it!! If you can't find it on the net, tell me and I'll share it through emule.

You've been very bad. Now off to the gas chamber.

Rid Hershel
5867th Post

"Re(4):...but the Soul still burns" , posted Sun 7 Mar 20:11post reply

quote:
Resident Evil rocked!
You mean the first zombie b-movie ever with no blood and barely gore??

Felt like the diet coke version of an otherwise fun movie.

Gen
2550th Post

"Re(2):...but the pee still burns" , posted Mon 8 Mar 01:18post reply

quote:

Quoth IGN:

ARGH! What the hell??

Please tell me this is an early April Fool's joke... Ugh. I mean, Soul Calibur's not one of my FAVORITE games, but I do like it... and I hate to hear them destroying the story like that. Maybe... they'll... pretend... that two characters were special good guys or something? Then they'll put others in with other agendas? Here's an idea- when these people make these game movies... why not make the director immerse themselves in the games a little first? That way, maybe the movie will be like the games? I mean, the directors that are making movies from books actually read the books first, right?

Blech. This movie sounds really really bad already... "Okay, now in this scene, Mitsubishi or whatever that samer-eye guy's name is will GLUE HIS PENIS TO HIS LEG! HA! And then he'll try to bone a pie! I'm a genius."

Pie fucking make Hulk angry.

Undead Fred
1401th Post

"Re(3):...but the pee still burns" , posted Mon 8 Mar 13:20post reply

quote:

Hulk's gonna punch a... HOLE... in it! HAW!

BLARGBLARG PLACE YOUR BETS!

Krzyzewski Man
632th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):...but the pee still burns" , posted Mon 8 Mar 14:46post reply

quote:

Hulk's gonna punch a... HOLE... in it! HAW!

BETTY! FREDDIE PRINZE JR. CAN'T LOVE YOU LIKE BANNER CAN!

Weed time.