[an error occurred while processing this directive] Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

OmegaDog
966th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 10:02:post reply

I only first learned about it on Penny Arcade's news page last Friday -- and Gabe didn't like it.

I thirst for more detail than what he mentions, though. I know just the thought of MTV sends shivers down several spines here -- but, on the off-chance that somebody here was actually able to watch it, what was it like, in your opinion? Is it possible to make a comparison to (and hence judge it better or worse than) SpikeTV's VGAs, or did the countdown format make it an apples-to-oranges situation? (And how do you feel Seanbaby did, really?)

"I'll punish you with my burning fist of justice!!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 15 |

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Sat 3 Jan 10:20]

Replies:

Radish
1992th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 10:26post reply

quote:
I only first learned about it on Penny Arcade's news page last Friday -- and Gabe didn't like it.

I thirst for more detail than what he mentions, though. I know just the thought of MTV sends shivers down several spines here -- but, on the off-chance that somebody here was actually able to watch it, what was it like, in your opinion? Is it possible to make a comparison to (and hence judge it better or worse than) SpikeTV's VGAs, or did the countdown format make it an apples-to-oranges situation? (And how do you feel Seanbaby did, really?)

I can't say that I liked it. I generally don't like tv shows about videogames in the first place though.

They changed around the camera angles constantly so half the time Seanbaby was talking to an imaginary person off camera. Also he wasn't really allowed to be Seanbaby so he was doing a watered down version which just came off as generic. He was also rushing through his speaches really fast which sounded strange and forced.

I also got scared off by the "DDR lifestyle" chick that was the first game they highlighted. Those people frighten me.

Krzyzewski Man
484th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 10:28post reply

quote:

Gabe... likes... things? Just doesn't take.

Press be asking do I care for sodomy
I don't know yeah probably
-Robbie Williams
IAMSIPMMAOLC!!!

exodus
1595th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 12:35post reply

yeah, I watched about ten minutes of it. To be fair, seanbaby did a much better job than like...anybody else at G4 could have.

but it still sucked, and he was still rocking back and forth in his chair nervously, and definitely forced to rush through his lines.

it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either.

It was a lot better than spikeTV's thing, that's for sure.

Dr Baghead
2706th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Additional thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 13:13:post reply

MTV just reaired the show so I rewatched it to better understand what the hell I was watching. I'm just updating this post with my thoughts since it's not important enough to warrent a new reply.

quote:
(And how do you feel Seanbaby did, really?)

He did horrible, but it's not really his fault.

He's not an actor and probably hasn't had any professional voice coaching, so his talking at one million words a second was probably him just being nervous and worried about getting the intros done in the allowed amount of time.

As for what he was saying, I assume he wasn't the writer because everything he said sounded like someone trying to emulate his style, and while that could be possible it never happens when they TRY to emulate his style, if they try to they just end up writing like a moron referencing his site. "So Aquaman LOVES Hostess fruit pies and his face was rocked by Mr.T who kicked his Brain's Ass!" see, not funny! The show's writers seemed more concerned with emulation then being funny (or were they not trying to be funny?)
Added Later: Actually I gave the writers too much credit, I don't think they were trying to emulate Sean so much as just writing like idiots... "the kung fu fighting Mayor of Rad City", "I don't trust magicans"? Why did they feel the need to change Metro to Rad? that really ruins the whole joke and turns it from a reference to silly idea behind Haggar to random stupidty... and does anyone understand the magican thing?

I like how the show also focused more on the sub-cultures around the games then the games themselves that was an interesting new direct for making a show about videogames extremely lame.
Added Later: For the record not all cosplayers care about each other as the crazy lady in the FF segment said... I dressed as Faust last year and will do it again too but let it stand for the record I HATE quite a few cosplayers(and I take it no one here is shocked by that)... anyone who actually tries to be "in character" is insane and needs to be hit by a bus or something (they don't need to die or anything, just maybe get a little common sense knocked into them)

Rest of Update:
I hadn't realized how bad the "talking to an unseen person" was until I really paid attention... Seanbaby rarely looks directly into the camera, again this could be because he's nervous or it could be the insane jump cutting made sure he never knew where to look.

I find it odd WWE Smackdown and Def Jam Vendeta tied... I just find it hard to believe that two wrestling games made into the countdown at the EXACT same place, I'm not saying MTV falsified the results of the 'voting' I'm just saying Zelda in number 1 certainly does imply you respect 'the classics' does it not?

The NESkimo's cover of the Zelda theme didn't sound like the Zelda theme at all (at least the parts MTV played maybe parts of it do!) and Hey you know what! I play DDR, Cosplay, AND my cell-phone plays a version of the Zelda theme... MTV do you realize how fucking uncool that makes you if I, the biggest dork ever created, share traits with people on your shows? Well just so we're clear: VERY VERY VERY

Was the guy talking about MGS2 a Konami employee? He was in front of a MGS wall painting and was talking like a representative would (going on about how revolutionary the game was and how it changed standards) Even if he wasn't he annoyed me.

MTV needs to learn not everything that isn't Osbornes or Real World is a "Documentary"... the special had the "MTV Docs" bumper before it started, as does their Urben Legend Show and True Life... True Life they could maybe get away with but the others is a strech.

This picture is unusally orange no?

[this message was edited by Dr Baghead on Mon 5 Jan 12:13]

Gen
2380th Post

"Re(1):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 21:56post reply

quote:

If it was on MTV I'm sure it was terrible.

Krzyzewski Man
493th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 22:18post reply

quote:

Bad Gen! Chris Rock is often on MTV!

-Robbie Williams
IAMSIPMMAOLC!!!

Gen
2381th Post

"Re(3):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sat 3 Jan 22:19post reply

quote:
(And how do you feel Seanbaby did, really?)

He did horrible, but it's not really his fault.

He's not an actor and probably hasn't had any professional voice coaching, so his talking at one million words a second was probably him just being nervous and worried about getting the intros done in the allowed amount of time.

As for what he was saying, I assume he wasn't the writer because everything he said sounded like someone trying to emulate his style, and while that could be possible it never happens when they TRY to emulate his style, if they try to they just end up writing like a moron referencing his site. "So Aquaman LOVES Hostess fruit pies and his face was rocked by Mr.T who kicked his Brain's Ass!" see, not funny! The show's writers seemed more concerned with emulation then being funny (or were they not trying to be funny?)

I like how the show also focused more on the sub-cultures around the games then the games themselves that was an interesting new direct for making a show about videogames extremely lame.

Your post reminds me of possibly hundreds of other sites made by teenagers (I'm guessing) who- tried to copy seanbaby.com humor. I don't care about seanbaby.com, but when people copy it it's pretty bad.
Now that there is an MTV thread, there should be a new thread about something good to counteract the MTV thread's evil.

Gen
2385th Post

"Re(3):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Sun 4 Jan 16:03post reply

quote:

He should think to him self
"...I am Chris Rock. I am too cool to appear on MTV"

Krzyzewski Man
498th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Mon 5 Jan 08:12post reply

quote:

He should think to him self
"...I am Chris Rock. I am too cool to appear on MTV"

Counterpoint 1: Snoop Dogg has his own show on MTV.
Counterpoint 2: It is not possible to be cooler than Snoop Dogg.
Subpoint 1: Snoop Dogg is not merely cool. He is ice cold, to quote Andre 3000.
Subpoint 2: Snoop Dogg has not sold out. Other people sell out to Snoop Dogg.
Subpoint 3: Snoop Dogg is still cool. He has also stopped smoking marijuana. These two states were thought to be incompatible with rappers.

-Robbie Williams
IAMSIPMMAOLC!!!

Gen
2391th Post

"Re(5):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Mon 5 Jan 23:05:post reply

Well Snoop dog is sort of a rapper, so he can make MTV play his videos or BET, there's not much choice.

****Also, Snoop dog is a nerd. !!****

Also, when it comes to being a man he is a little girl who is three decades out of wack with reality.

[this message was edited by Gen on Wed 7 Jan 17:19]

Krzyzewski Man
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Um... MTV Videogame Countdown...?" , posted Tue 6 Jan 19:49post reply

quote:
..I will with hold my text about Snoop Dogg in the hopes that it will increase the chances of you joining progress quest. (:

Actually, it won't since you gave away that you don't like Snoop. Very bad Gen!

-Robbie Williams
IAMSIPMMAOLC!!!