[an error occurred while processing this directive] Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Luisinan
658th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Fri 2 Jan 20:04post reply

SF #4 came out this Friday. Because its a summary of the plot, there'll be tons of spoilers (obviously!)
All right, enough spoiler space.

First, the cover. I got the Alvin Lee cover. I like his style. Its a bit Akiman-esque. Anyway the composition is great, even if we have seen it before. Its the Sagat towering over Ryu cover. Unfortunately, Sagat doesn't show up in the issue till the very end.

All right. Now to the meat of the story. The big fight is Chun Li versus Shadow (Charlie). Chun does a few notable moves, namely her double palm strike, her classic ducking roundhouse and the Tenshokyaku (rising leg twirl). She may have done the Senenshu but it was hard to tell-- in one panel she's doing a handstand (mid Senenshu) and in the next she's up on one leg. Charlie did the old sonic boom trap!!! He threw a sonic boom, Chun lept over it, and then Charlie busted her with a flash kick! Guile was too tore up to help Chun, but he did distract Charlie by throwing his old dog tags at him. At that point, Charlie started to remember his old life. Then he flees, escaping by helicopter.

Meanwhile, Bison is dissatisfied with Charlie (even though he did kick Guile and Chun's butts.) So he plans on killing him with Cammy. He also intends to get rid of Guile and Chun by himself.

Next we have a page about Rose and Cammy. I don't remember how Rose found Cammy but Cammy is unconscious with Rose. Rose tells Cammy that she will undo Bison's brainwashing. What is interesting is that Rose knew about Cammy, she also knows about Bison and she knows that Bison can brainwash people. Another interesting thing is a quote that Rose says, she says to Cammy: "We have more in common than you will ever know." I'm hazy about this, but isn't Cammy spliced with Bison's DNA? And of course, Rose is supposed to be Bison's good side. So... hrm? If this is what UDON is referring to, then they have done their homework!!!!

Next we have Sakura/Kei meeting Dan. Its the typical stuff. Dan sucks, etc. Dan does a Gadouken. Gets beat up by Sakura and offers to be her teacher. Incidentally, when Sakura met Dan, he started crying because Gouken had thrown him out of the dojo. Another cool detail. Oh yeah, Dan calls Gouken a "lousy goody-two-shows master." Ha.

After that we have Chun and Guile in the hospital scene, where they meet with Eliza. More good stuff. Eliza rags on Guile for leaving his family. She mentions that they are in-laws. Again, Udon doing their homework. Eliza tells Guile about the Shadowloo attack, so now Guile and Chun are gonna meet up with Ryu and Ken. Sakura is taking Dan to the hospital, so she 'over hears' the conversation. I wonder what she'll do next. She found Dan because he uses Ryu's fighting style.

Anyway, the issue ends with Ryu and Ken in their old dojo, about to leave, and then running into... Sagat. I wonder what 'that mountain of muscle' wants.

The backup story is by Kaare Andrews. I love his art style (he is very eclectic). Its written by Andre Greenidge. Its a story about a soldier that got left behind enemy lines and would have been abandoned by the army if not for Charlie. Charlie goes back to rescue the soldier and succeeds. The abandoned soldier is... Guile. We learn in the story that Charlie taught Guile how to fight. Again, Udon doing their homework! I think most people think that Guile taught Charlie how to fight. Its the other way around.

Anyway, this was mostly a summary but I just wanted to point out the small details that Udon used. Its these small bits of continuity that really make the series special.

The issue was good, although it felt a bit shorter with less events happening. It was more of a 'regrouping', getting the characters to move the plot along. Which is fine. Enough subplots got moved along and the fight scene was okay. I enjoyed the back up story too. I thought the flashbacks were interspersed well.

Anyway, can't wait till the next issue.

Bored? "160"

Replies:

Hungrywolf
2583th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Fri 2 Jan 20:32post reply

I picked this issue up today. Same cover that you got, Luisinan. I was also very impressed with the little details and found the Sakura and Dan scene to be a great addition. I found it humourous and I think the guys working on the comic are doing a great job so far.

"no again my apoligizes for anyone i offend!!!!!"
Hungry Like the Wolf

beto
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Fri 2 Jan 22:55post reply

More crap. The fact there are fans enjoying this shows how desperate some are.

Gojira
1236th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Fri 2 Jan 23:00:post reply

I had to go through some unbelievable shit today just to pick up the issue, but it was worth it.

My biggest gripe is that the whole Cammy/Rose thing was completely out of nowhere. Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything I checked for her last appearance, and that was back in issue 2, where she's reporting that Ryu is leaving for Japan. After that, nothing. Normally when they do something like this they depend on the game lore to fill in the gaps, but I can't remember anything about the Alpha storyline that even hints at a Cammy/Rose relationship.

Otherwise, Dan showed up... twice! Nice. And I can live without the letter section. More room for comic!

EDIT: BTW, I got the Jo Chen power foil of Guile. Great foreground/ background on Guile's pose.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 2 Jan 23:05]

Omar
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Fri 2 Jan 23:55post reply

quote:

Thanks for being so specific.

http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/xGarlo.png [Image Attached]

NARUTO
2034th Post

"Re(3):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 05:45post reply

How dumb I am...when I read the topic I was thinking to a SF 4 game...^^

talbaineric
5707th Post

"Re(4):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 06:57post reply

Wow,the whole Cammy/Rose thing was right out of the blue. This is very interesting. If I find this comic anywhere,I'm gonna have to check it out.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.

Radish
1991th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 07:27post reply

quote:
Next we have Sakura/Kei meeting Dan. Its the typical stuff. Dan sucks, etc. Dan does a Gadouken. Gets beat up by Sakura and offers to be her teacher. Incidentally, when Sakura met Dan, he started crying because Gouken had thrown him out of the dojo. Another cool detail. Oh yeah, Dan calls Gouken a "lousy goody-two-shows master." Ha.

It's stuff like that that makes me almost wish I bought comics. Maybe I'll pick up one if they jam together a wacky side story with Sakura, Dan and Karin (maybe Sakura's little buddy too).

Also I thought they were talking about Street Fighter 4: the game, as well Naruto.

Hungrywolf
2586th Post

"Re(2):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 09:38post reply

quote:

We could have done without your excellent opinion on the matter, Beto.

"no again my apoligizes for anyone i offend!!!!!"
Hungry Like the Wolf

TiamatRoar
596th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 10:32post reply

quote:

We could have done without your excellent opinion on the matter, Beto.

But... he did such a good job of thorougly explaining his opinion on the matter to the point where it should be justified to all with a critical thinking mind thanks to his wonderful presentation of a logical argument that came complete with hard evidence to support his claim!

http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/street_fighter_plot.txt

Krzyzewski Man
485th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 10:46post reply

quote:
But... he did such a good job of thorougly explaining his opinion on the matter to the point where it should be justified to all with a critical thinking mind thanks to his wonderful presentation of a logical argument that came complete with hard evidence to support his claim!

I'm still not exactly sure what huggling is, but I suddenly want to do it to you.

I sincerely hope you have a good home security system.

Press be asking do I care for sodomy
I don't know yeah probably
-Robbie Williams
IAMSIPMMAOLC!!!

Radish
1993th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 11:03post reply

quote:

I'm still not exactly sure what huggling is, but I suddenly want to do it to you.

I sincerely hope you have a good home security system.

I think it involves furries, so look out!

Krzyzewski Man
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 14:08post reply

quote:
I think it involves furries, so look out!

Brrrrrrrrrr. He's safe.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Press be asking do I care for sodomy
I don't know yeah probably
-Robbie Williams
IAMSIPMMAOLC!!!

Ikari Loona
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 23:26post reply

Interesting that they decided to toss Shadow Charlie in there... I though he was an "exclusive" of the Versus games, but even if the comic doesn't count as canon, it's a nice little detail...
Does he look as completely dark in the comic as he does in the games?...

BTW, does anyone know if there are plans to later on sell volumes of the SF comic that contain everything from the individual issues?...
It seems to be rather common for that to happen with several other series, and since I didn't pick up the early issues, it'd be a way for me to reward the effort put into reseaching for this by buying it without having to pay the extra import costs for every issue...

Puchu?

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Luisinan
661th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Street Fighter #4 Summary and Thoughts" , posted Sat 3 Jan 23:32post reply

quote:
Interesting that they decided to toss Shadow Charlie in there... I though he was an "exclusive" of the Versus games, but even if the comic doesn't count as canon, it's a nice little detail...
Does he look as completely dark in the comic as he does in the games?...

BTW, does anyone know if there are plans to later on sell volumes of the SF comic that contain everything from the individual issues?...
It seems to be rather common for that to happen with several other series, and since I didn't pick up the early issues, it'd be a way for me to reward the effort put into reseaching for this by buying it without having to pay the extra import costs for every issue...

Yes. They already announced that they will be collecting the first set of issues into a paperback. I don't know what issues those will be but they will be collected. And I don't know if they will collect the extra material into the paperback, but the trend is to do so, so I hope Udon follows that trend.

I've been collecting every issue, but I'm tempted at buying the paperback. This is one of the few series that I actually collect as individual issues. I usually just buy paperbacks now. But, this is Street Fighter, it is too hard for me to wait for the paperback.

Oh yeah, I believe the paperback will be released in March 2004. So, I think they'll be collecting issues #0 - 6. Issue #5 should be released in February. And #6 in March. My memory is fuzzy, maybe it will only be up to issue #5. If its up to issue #6, then the paperback won't get released till April.

Anyway, end ramble.

Bored? "160"

GekigangerV
853th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):SF#4 Thoughts and question" , posted Sun 4 Jan 16:17post reply

I finally got around to getting the comic and its was pretty neat. Its a shame they beat Dan like that, but I guess it can't be helped. I really like the backstory. I usually don't like Kaare Andrews in book style(but I like his covers), but the backstory(story and art) were awesome.

I was wondering if Udon can use the EX characters in the comics or if they need special permission from Arika. Although I don't particularly like the EX games, I think some of the characters are cool. I am sure their excellent writers could make them a a great addition to the story line.

Ikari Loona
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):SF#4 Thoughts and question" , posted Sun 4 Jan 20:46post reply

quote:
I was wondering if Udon can use the EX characters in the comics or if they need special permission from Arika. Although I don't particularly like the EX games, I think some of the characters are cool. I am sure their excellent writers could make them a a great addition to the story line.

Sneaking in everything and everyone from SFA3 and trying to stick as close to canon as they can already seems like a considerable challenge for any writer, so as much as I like Kairi I'm afraid that's rather unlikely - especially if it's true that the SFEX games aren't canon and in their story Kairi killed Gouki...

Puchu?

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"