[an error occurred while processing this directive] Azumanga - US release in T- . . . - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

StickClick
163th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Fri 26 Dec 11:04post reply

http://www.advfilms.com/titles/azumanga /

Get a damn move on.

Too far, too long...

Groove.
[ C l i c k - s t i c k . com ]

Replies:

threesixtee
725th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Sat 27 Dec 00:36post reply

quote:
http://www.advfilms.com/titles/azumanga /

Get a damn move on.

Too far, too long...

worth waiting for I say. I'm just curious to hear the dub of brooklyn-osaka.

Jazzie D
2253th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Sat 27 Dec 07:34post reply

As Momo would say, "The dub will be hilarious, but in what way?"

Tomo - Kimura-sensei why did you become a teacher?
Kimura-sensei - CUZ I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS AND STUFF!

Ishmael
1111th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 13:25post reply

Quick question for AD fans: is the anime significantly different from the manga or can you get the general gist of the series from either one?

Juan
3701th Post

"Re(4):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 13:28:post reply

They are pretty similar for the most part. Go for the manga first tho YA.

Edit: you too will be screaming GAME BREAKING HOME RUN at your office!

quote:
Quick question for AD fans: is the anime significantly different from the manga or can you get the general gist of the series from either one?

stfu

[this message was edited by Juan on Mon 29 Dec 13:29]

Radish
1975th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 13:38post reply

quote:

The comic doesn't have to worry about things like characters in the backgrounds or timing on odd facial expressions so the tv show handles these in sometimes strange ways. For example, when 2 characters are being highlighted, in the comic the surrounding classmates simply wouldn't be drawn. In the show oftetimes they'll be drawn like paper cutouts.

It's a good interpretation of the comic; they had to add some stuff to pad for time, but it's all good.

threesixtee
726th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 15:22post reply

I really like the way the anime handles the jokes. for example: when chiyo and osaka are "playing volleyball" (more like hitting each other with a volleyball), it only uses 2 panels of comic. whereas in the anime, they REALLY drag out the joke, but it makes it SO much funnier.

Radish
1979th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 19:19:post reply

quote:
I really like the way the anime handles the jokes. for example: when chiyo and osaka are "playing volleyball" (more like hitting each other with a volleyball), it only uses 2 panels of comic. whereas in the anime, they REALLY drag out the joke, but it makes it SO much funnier.

Yeah the tv show has a lot more leeway to drag out the jokes like that. Overall I've heard some people complain about the show, but I think it's a great adaption. Considering it's a 4 panel comic, they really did a good job of stringing it into coherant episodes.

EDIT: MELON BREAD!!!!

[this message was edited by Radish on Mon 29 Dec 19:25]

Satoshi_Miwa
2483th Post

"Re(7):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 19:24post reply

Easy answer, get both! You need the manga for travel, and the anime can be watched at home!

And yes, Juan, I too shout Game BReaking Home Run at Work...Maybe thats why I've been sent down to the Industrial Chimney sweep department. Well Crikey...

D-V-D!

Separated at Birth?

Dr Baghead
2696th Post

"Re(8):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 21:32post reply

quote:
Easy answer, get both! You need the manga for travel, and the anime can be watched at home!

And yes, Juan, I too shout Game BReaking Home Run at Work...Maybe thats why I've been sent down to the Industrial Chimney sweep department. Well Crikey...

D-V-D!

I just read the mangas! So I'm posting in this thread rather starting a new one... could someone explain the "Van Damme/Damn Van" joke to me?

I mean, I get the joke, but is it the same joke used in the Japanese version? (it confuses how they turned "Van Damme" into "Damn Van")

HOORAY! I gots Photoshop back!

Click the Baghead's not-so-good custom figures page!

Satoshi_Miwa
2487th Post

"Re(9):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Mon 29 Dec 22:06post reply

quote:

I just read the mangas! So I'm posting in this thread rather starting a new one... could someone explain the "Van Damme/Damn Van" joke to me?

I mean, I get the joke, but is it the same joke used in the Japanese version? (it confuses how they turned "Van Damme" into "Damn Van")

This is actualy the one big misstep ADV did in Volume 2, which was an otherwise good translation job.

Basicily the orginal joke used Bruce Lee instead of Van Damme, and instead of being a Van it was set up around Three Bruce IIRC (The anime had the joke as is...). And the jokes based on the Japanese naming system, where the family name comes first...

Separated at Birth?

Ammadeau
622th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(10):Azumanga - US release in T- . . ." , posted Tue 30 Dec 03:32post reply

I got that one because I knew the whole family name / personal name order in Japanese. The one I don't get at all is 'Read between the lines' where people keep calling out to Yomi. I have no idea what the point is to it. Could be because Yomi is the only character I don't like.

Olivier Hagué
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Azumanga - US release in T- . . " , posted Tue 30 Dec 04:20post reply

quote:
The one I don't get at all is 'Read between the lines' where people keep calling out to Yomi. I have no idea what the point is to it.
The entire point of the story was to establish her name.

Ammadeau
625th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Azumanga - US release in T- . ." , posted Tue 30 Dec 20:41post reply

quote:
The entire point of the story was to establish her name.

.... why? Maybe she hadn't been given a name at that point, but she had been in the comic for quite some time already. It seems a bit stupid to me. But I'm sure it's not easy coming up with ideas for a daily strip.

Olivier Hagué
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Azumanga - US release in T- . ." , posted Wed 31 Dec 02:29post reply

quote:
Maybe she hadn't been given a name at that point, but she had been in the comic for quite some time already.
And _that_'s the entire point.

jiji
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Blue Three" , posted Mon 5 Jan 11:42post reply

quote:

Basicily the orginal joke used Bruce Lee instead of Van Damme, and instead of being a Van it was set up around Three Bruce IIRC (The anime had the joke as is...). And the jokes based on the Japanese naming system, where the family name comes first...

No, that's not quite it. Bruce Lee is mentioned, and his name is pronounced "buruusu rii". Osaka hears this as "buruu surii" (Blue Three) and wonders who Blue Four, Five and Six are, and which one Jackie Chan is (or something to that effect).

Olivier Hagué
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Blue Three" , posted Mon 5 Jan 12:15post reply

You're both right.

Dr Baghead
2706th Post

"Re(1):Blue Three" , posted Mon 5 Jan 12:18post reply

quote:
No, that's not quite it. Bruce Lee is mentioned, and his name is pronounced "buruusu rii". Osaka hears this as "buruu surii" (Blue Three) and wonders who Blue Four, Five and Six are, and which one Jackie Chan is (or something to that effect).

AH! Now that makes sense (it also explains the sort of random inclusion of Jackie Chan in the English version)

This picture is unusally orange no?

KaiketsuZubat
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Blue Three" , posted Mon 5 Jan 16:38post reply

quote:

You mean it's not a reference to Chodenshi Bioman? Red One, Green Two, Blue Three, Yellow Four, Pink Five? :P *runs away*

"Waga shougai ni ippen no kuinashi!"