[an error occurred while processing this directive] street fighter tribute album - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

threesixtee
719th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 05:28post reply

I um... "acquired" the album today... its okay I guess. the first track just left a bad taste in my mouth though...

ryu - ryu's theme + lyrics + engrish (I think that's what it is)= bad idea.

ken - theme is average-sounding, but still cool I guess. just another metal guitar rendition.

chun li - good. thumping bass. cool points for the "traditional chinese music" breakdown halfway through. could do without the sf2 chun li voices throughout.

guile - more electric guitar. more laid back feel. I like it.

dhalsim - never been a fan of this song, but I like the tempo for this mix. vocals and flute work together.

zangief - still sounds like michael jackson's "bad" in the beginning. don't like this one too much.

blanka - hoping for more of a "capoeria" kinda feel. can't really describe this song. I don't like it.

e. honda - get rid of the "DOSUKOI" and other voice samples that keeps repeating, then it'd be decent. I think e. honda himself gets a vocal solo toward the end of the song...

mike bison - this is the only composer that I recognize, yuzo koshiro. but... as for the song itself... I couldn't even tell it the las vegas theme.

balrog claw ninja - PIMP. spanish guitar makes this the sexiest song on the album.

sagat - wow. horns and string section. more electric guitar. its okay I guess.

vega dictator - funky guitar. nice bass. part of this song sounds just like the song from the "sadako-tan" flash that was circulating months ago. pretty funky overall, I like it when the tempo picks up.

overall - its pretty good. I was hoping for a remix of the original sf2 theme song though. I'd probably drive to it, the chun li theme especially. if they ever do another cd, I'd like to hear more techno or drum&bass renditions.

Replies:

Rid Hershel
5696th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 06:15post reply

Worth it not for the quality but for the weirdness I guess. I was expecting more from Blanka's theme, being Yasunori Mitsuda...

IkariDC
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 07:02:post reply

Thanks for your review on this album. I was thinking in buying it. There are so many great artist involved in the album, so it had to be awesome...

Yuzo Koshiro is one of my favourite artist, Yasunori Mitsuda too, and the tracks from those 2 aren't that impresive? Damn...

So the guitar arranged tracks are good? Well, I think I'm getting the album.

What about the booklet? Are there any interesting pieces of art?

[this message was edited by IkariDC on Sun 21 Dec 07:03]

Iggy
2315th Post

"Re(3):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 07:47post reply

Shimomura Yoko's Dahlsim remix rocks my world. I think she was the main SF2 composer, right?
(laughs at Chunli's voice sample in her remix)

cafeh2
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 08:55post reply

Yeah, the Dhalsim one is really good but I can't believe you don't love the Daytona guy's Ryu remix. I think its godly.

The rest of the remixes are all good but a few too many techno remixes (like Chun Li and Yuzo's Balrog boxer craziness). Nearly every amateur remix of a RPG or fighting game song is techno... you don't need to hire special composers for that.

IkariDC
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 09:32post reply

Yes, Yoko Shimomura was the main composer.

I don't understand why they keep on using voice samples, they can easyly ruin a wonderful track.

Fuchikoma
801th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 09:38post reply

Yeah I'm listening to it... and honestly I had higher hopes, especially for Ryu since he's the main character. I wasn't much for those Engrish lyrics to his song that don't make sense. Chun Li is pretty good though... I'll keep on listening.

Sano
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 11:40:post reply

You do know that Blanka does not study Capoeira and that was just Capcom USA making stuff up, right? The only SFer who does use a form of Capoeira is Elena.

CD sounds good from what you guys say. I'll track down a copy sooner or later.

[this message was edited by Sano on Sun 21 Dec 11:40]

Gen
2349th Post

"Re(1):street fighter tribute album" , posted Sun 21 Dec 13:00post reply

I was hoping for more from Yuzo for a while..

Does anyone know what happened with the contest Capcom had where they asked people for remixes?

CPSIII
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"I like it" , posted Sun 28 Dec 06:26post reply

Ryu Theme - UGH leave it to a virtua fighter guy to ruin a wonderful track

Ken Theme - Sounds cool but not much different

Chunli Theme - I agree with the Topic creator here, the chinese music fits in really well

Guile Theme - Sounds cool, it's kinda slow and makes me think about the good old SFII times :)

Dalshim Theme - I like Shimomuras take on his theme

Zangief Theme - IMO it's ok not bad but nothing special

Blanka Theme - :/ ... I dunno, I mean it's a remix but aren't you supposed to reckognize the original song at least a bit?

E. Honda Theme - I like it a lot, I think the voice samples are what makes this remix so cool

M. Bison(Boxer) Theme - My favourite so far, I like the beginning and the end with the samples and the cheering. Although you only hear the original theme in the last third.

Balrog(Spaniard) Theme - Ugh the beginning sounds cool but then comes the accordion which makes the song sound more french then spanish which totally ruins it for me also IMO this track should be fast since the original kinda creates a pressure atmosphere.

Sagat Theme - uhm I dunno I don't like it much.

Vega(cape) Theme - same as Sagats

How are you doin'