[an error occurred while processing this directive] New Samurai Anime- Peacekeeper Kurogane - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Fuchikoma
678th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"New Samurai Anime- Peacekeeper Kurogane" , posted Sun 12 Oct 03:11post reply

I know there's a lot of Kenshin fans here... Hungrywolf will probably really like this. Well anyway with some good shows like Last Exile, Wolf's Rain, and Scrapped Princess over now I've been fishing for a new series to follow. Gungrave is fairly good... I hadn't played the game so there wasn't that connection... it seems more like a weak Hellsing immitation.

To my surprise I saw there was a new samurai anime by Gonzo (Kiddy Grade, Blue Sub no6, Last Exile, Gad Guard) and best of all it's based on the Shinsen gumi. I didn't have too high hopes with some pretty weak shows like Samurai Deeper Kyo and Ninja Scroll in the past couple years... but this show has major promise, maybe even a worthy successor to Rurouni Kenshin. It focusses on a reckless young boy (kind of reminds me of Naruto) who's trying to join the Shinsen Gumi. Some of the main characters are named and modeled after the real Shinsen Gumi members which is even cooler... back up with the quality animation Gonzo is known for. The sub of ep 1 is out from the same group that subbed Last Exile for those who need a new show to fill that spot LE left. ;)

Replies:

Chyrebulis
10th Post

New Customer

"PKK and other new anime" , posted Sun 12 Oct 04:47post reply

Yeah PKK seems fairly promising, I definately enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to watching more. However, I think that ultimately my enjoyment of the show is going to hinge on how the handle the manner and pacing of the main characters growth.

That said, it will be neat to have a coming-of-age story in this time period rather than the "unfolding of the mysterious past of the mysterious badass" seen in Kenshin and most of the other anime of this type that I can recall. Art style is also a nice change from typical Gonzo fare.

There are a couple of other new shows out too and I thought I'd share my thoughts on some them as well.

Avenger- I've seen two episodes and am thouroughly unimpressed. The premise seems rather silly to me and none of the characters really appeal. Volk's character design is just too mind-bogglingly stupid for words.

Tsukihime- I'm only peripherally familiar with the characters from the games in which they appeared but so far I like. It is a pretty good setting and a solid set of interesting characters. No idea where the plot is going right now though.

Gungrave- Well I have played and finished the game so I imagine I already know the rough outline of the story. The first episode certainly seems to start things off similar to the game. I will enjoy seeing more of the emotional and psychological aspects of the story only hinted at in the game. Only truly awesome moment for me was seeing Grave strug off the bullets cause damn that is exactly how it is in the game. No dodgeing for him, he takes it on the chin and the shoots you in the face. The one concern I have is that Grave is such a stoic character I wonder about his ability to carry a story through a whole TV series, could be tricky. Finally, any relation to hellsing I think is pretty superficial. Grave is a vastly different character mentally, physically, and psyiologically. There is more Godfather than Dracula here.

Gunslinger Girl(s?)-
(Is it plural or not I've seen it both ways)
Visually pretty fantastic, some amazing lighting and movement. But, The show left me feeling pretty icky. This is the first time the "girls with guns" genre has bothered me in this way. The show seems to be cognizant of this feeling and attempts to begin addressing it but...

Planetes-
This show I really, really, enjoyed. The realistic sci-fi setting is great and the cast is wonderful. It really looks like a glimpse into the world in seventy years but but the treatment of space and the hints of life in orbit are just enough to keep it somewhat exotic. Furthermore, most of the cast immediately seemed like people rather then characters. Maybe I just need to expose myself to more live-action drama, but this was still pretty refreshing. In the end I laughed, I felt like crying, and I cared about the characters, all in one episode. If it keeps up it could be one of my favorites.

If you have read this far I salute you. And I want to hear your own thoughts. If you haven't read this far, then well...you suck.

Genjuro
582th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):New Samurai Anime- Peacekeeper Kurogane" , posted Sun 12 Oct 17:13post reply

quote:
I know there's a lot of Kenshin fans here... Hungrywolf will probably really like this. Well anyway with some good shows like Last Exile, Wolf's Rain, and Scrapped Princess over now I've been fishing for a new series to follow. Gungrave is fairly good... I hadn't played the game so there wasn't that connection... it seems more like a weak Hellsing immitation.

To my surprise I saw there was a new samurai anime by Gonzo (Kiddy Grade, Blue Sub no6, Last Exile, Gad Guard) and best of all it's based on the Shinsen gumi. I didn't have too high hopes with some pretty weak shows like Samurai Deeper Kyo and Ninja Scroll in the past couple years... but this show has major promise, maybe even a worthy successor to Rurouni Kenshin. It focusses on a reckless young boy (kind of reminds me of Naruto) who's trying to join the Shinsen Gumi. Some of the main characters are named and modeled after the real Shinsen Gumi members which is even cooler... back up with the quality animation Gonzo is known for. The sub of ep 1 is out from the same group that subbed Last Exile for those who need a new show to fill that spot LE left. ;)

BIG Kenshin fan over here too..
but with 56k..:(

Rid Hershel
5520th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):PKK and other new anime" , posted Sun 12 Oct 17:22post reply

Fullmetal Alchemist: while it has some differences from the manga, I liked the pacing of the first episode. Being animated by Bones (RahXephon, Cowboy Bebop movie, Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess) I have my hopes on this one.

match of the millennium!

Chyrebulis
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):PKK and other new anime" , posted Sun 12 Oct 22:03post reply

quote:
Fullmetal Alchemist: while it has some differences from the manga, I liked the pacing of the first episode. Being animated by Bones (RahXephon, Cowboy Bebop movie, Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess) I have my hopes on this one.

Ah how could I have forgotten that one! FMA was quite cool and I enjoyed it. Having a bit of interest in alchemy and medieval history it was interesting to see what bits of historical material they borrowed to put into their mythos. Visually, I think the design of the younger brothers armor is too cool. Also, given the "Square-enix" splash I imagine this is/has been made into a game?

DarkZero
366th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):PKK and other new anime" , posted Mon 13 Oct 02:36post reply

quote:

Also, given the "Square-enix" splash I imagine this is/has been made into a game?

Of course.

Rid Hershel
5523th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):PKK and other new anime" , posted Mon 13 Oct 05:45post reply

Actually the manga was edited by Enix first, so it makes sense.

match of the millennium!