[an error occurred while processing this directive] BIG Computer Problem - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

ZamIAm
1031th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"BIG Computer Problem" , posted Sat 6 Sep 14:19post reply

There's been a few wiring problems at my house and ...erm, when I boot up, I get a "disk read error" for the HARD DRIVE. This is bad (duh). Does anyone know of a way to recover the data? I asked a guy who said it was possible but rather expensive.

I don't know what ya heard bout me
But a fool can't get a pencil offa me.
I watch Batman marathons on TV
Cuz I'm a wookie luvin N-E-R-D.

Replies:

Undead Fred
852th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):BIG Computer Problem" , posted Sat 6 Sep 15:15post reply

quote:
There's been a few wiring problems at my house and ...erm, when I boot up, I get a "disk read error" for the HARD DRIVE. This is bad (duh). Does anyone know of a way to recover the data? I asked a guy who said it was possible but rather expensive.

Does the "disk read error" mean you totally can't get into Windows? Not even in safe mode? If you can, then try to copy out what's the most important first before your HD totally fails. I've been there, too. Unfortunately, in my case it meant a whole new hard drive (I had the "disk I/O error"). Fortunately, I had just gotten my first CD burner and had made backups of all the stuff I wouldn't be able to get back about a month or two before, so it wasn't a TOTAL loss. As for the whole data recovery thing, I've heard it's very expensive, and since I didn't lose EVERYTHING (not to mention the fact that very little of what I have on my computer is worth that kind of money), I just gave up on it. I still have my old HD in a box around here somewhere.

Well it's not summer anymore but I haven't made a new tag yet.

Gojira
1124th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):BIG Computer Problem" , posted Sat 6 Sep 16:42post reply

quote:

Well, before you do that did you try making sure all the wires to the hard drive were functioning properly? My harddrive used to stop a lot, and I thought I would have to replace it until I realized the wires to the power source were just a bit worn out and not the HD itself.

Porcellino
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):BIG Computer Problem" , posted Sat 6 Sep 17:30post reply

I'd, first of all, do what Gojira said...afer that doing an HD backup...and once there's nothing I'd use GetDataBack...an usefull tool for testing HD, recovering troublesome or deleted files files and many other uses.

Tobanaibutaha...tadanobutada....

Radish
1633th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):BIG Computer Problem" , posted Sat 6 Sep 19:04post reply

quote:
I'd, first of all, do what Gojira said...afer that doing an HD backup...and once there's nothing I'd use GetDataBack...an usefull tool for testing HD, recovering troublesome or deleted files files and many other uses.

Yeah take out the harddrive and see if it spins up when the computer starts (you can hear and feel it when it does). If it's a mechanical failure, there's not much you can do, but if there is bad data there are a couple of software solutions you can try (like was previously suggested). It also depends what you are trying to save and how large your disk is.

ZamIAm
1032th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Safe?" , posted Mon 8 Sep 08:33post reply

quote:
Does the "disk read error" mean you totally can't get into Windows? Not even in safe mode?

Can't get into Windows but I forgot about safe mode. What's the command for that again? My parents will suffer far more than I will if we can't get this fixed.

I don't know what ya heard bout me
But a fool can't get a pencil offa me.
I watch Batman marathons on TV
Cuz I'm a wookie luvin N-E-R-D.

DarkZero
273th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Safe?" , posted Mon 8 Sep 11:43post reply

quote:
Does the "disk read error" mean you totally can't get into Windows? Not even in safe mode?

Can't get into Windows but I forgot about safe mode. What's the command for that again? My parents will suffer far more than I will if we can't get this fixed.

Hold F8 from the moment you turn the computer on until it either boots up in Safe Mode or displays a boot menu that displays Safe Mode as an option. If your problem is merely bad data or some sort of configuration problem, Safe Mode can probably fix it, provided that you can figure out what the problem is. If it boots into Safe Mode and you can't, you might want to consider a local computer repair shop. Point is, though, that if it boots into Safe Mode, you can go ahead and feel relieved, because you're not out of the woods, but your situation is still looking better.

Definitely check those cables, though. I'm pretty sure that DISK READ ERROR was what came up when I had a bent pin in one of my hard drive's sockets. I may have also gotten one when the wire between my hard drive and the motherboard was chewed up on one side.

Siegfried
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Safe?" , posted Mon 8 Sep 12:31post reply

If it's any comfort, I can tell you that hard drives don't seem to malfunction nearly as often as they did 8-10 years ago. On my first 486, I lost 500 MB worth of stuff (the entire drive back then, heh) when the thing just stopped working. A little later, on my new 800 MB drive, the BIOS lost its memory and "forgot" the support for drives bigger than 500 meg. Which meant everything that was put on the drive after I first passed the 500 mark was gone. And since there weren't CD burners then, I lost everything that I couldn't backup to floppies when we changed drives again.

After that, though, I haven't had a single HDD crash in eight years. When computers went mainstream, quality went up.

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/