[an error occurred while processing this directive] PS2 playing movie DVDs - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Holiday
1948th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 19:41post reply

My DVD player is in the repair hospital (long story -_-) and I want to watch some DVDs on my PS2.

I've heard of rumours that the PS2 is a very poor DVD player, or that playing DVD movies, especially dual layer ones even shortens the life of the console(?!?).

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you all have to say about it, thanks :)

Anime and manga: the cute path to financial ruin

Replies:

Mozex
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 19:58post reply

I have also heard that playing dvd movies puts too much stress on the reader, but I don't know how true it is.

The dvd playback on the PS2 is good quality, but unless you get a remote you're limited to 2x fastforward and rewind. There is a noticable skip when the reader switches layers, much more so than on my regular dvd player.

Be kind to goblins.

Undead Fred
824th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 19:59post reply

quote:
My DVD player is in the repair hospital (long story -_-) and I want to watch some DVDs on my PS2.

I've heard of rumours that the PS2 is a very poor DVD player, or that playing DVD movies, especially dual layer ones even shortens the life of the console(?!?).

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you all have to say about it, thanks :)

I haven't had any problems with my PS2 dying out because of watching DVD's. I got my PS2 on release day and I do a lot of the things that supposedly shorten the life of your PS2. It still works fine. I have had problems with certain DVD's not working right, but otherwise, it works okay. Now, my XBox on the other hand....

Oh boy! It's summertime!

Mozex
196th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 20:06post reply

My PS2 was mostly broken, but strangely it got better(mostly).

It may be sick because I took it on a 200 mile road trip,
It may be sick because I put dvds in a fell asleep
It may be sick because I looped music cds for 10+ hours

My friend's PS2 has been subjected to just as horrible conditions and he's had his far longer than mine; yet his works perfectly despite also being clogged with cat hair.

I just don't know.

Be kind to goblins.

Gojira
1108th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 20:19post reply

To get the most out of the DVD player you should get the remote, as the software it comes with upgrades the DVD player (AFAIK the only way to do that other than buying a new PS2) and the remote - albeit not a great remote - adds some improvements.

I've never heard of DVDs breaking the system. Well actually I have but I think it's a bunch of bullshit. Anything can break the PS2. If you're afraid of breaking your PS2 don't do the following: play games, play DVDs, play CDs, open and close the drive door, leave it turned on, touch it or move it. -_-

"I'm surprised you can still stand."
"Then you'll be really impressed when I smash you to pieces."
-SH

Balance Divide Progress: stalled indefinitely
(project being redesigned and updated for RPGM2k3)

Juke Joint Jezebel
2187th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 20:28post reply

i don't recommend it. i used to watch dvds daily on my ps2. i'd leave it on at night and fall asleep while it ran. now, it won't even read some of my dvds. i just don't think the ps2 was made to be a dvd player. it's too much strain for it

and that's my only gripe with the ps2. i bought the console a few weeks after launch, i've used it hours on end almost daily, and it still plays games perfectly. i really don't understand why mine still works well and everywhere i hear stories of ps2s breaking down or attempting to kill their owners. behold, the power of love!

anyways, if you are gonna do it, i don't think a few days of ps2-dvd use will break it down as bad as mine. just let it rest every once in a while. let it cool down

Grave
579th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Wed 20 Aug 23:02post reply

quote:
To get the most out of the DVD player you should get the remote, as the software it comes with upgrades the DVD player (AFAIK the only way to do that other than buying a new PS2) and the remote - albeit not a great remote - adds some improvements.

Agreed. Makes it a lot more usable, and it's available for $20 or so... I think it's a pretty nice remote, anyway. Small, fully featured... Not bad. I like it better than the Xbox remote, which is kinda bulky in comparasion.

quote:
I've never heard of DVDs breaking the system. Well actually I have but I think it's a bunch of bullshit. Anything can break the PS2. If you're afraid of breaking your PS2 don't do the following: play games, play DVDs, play CDs, open and close the drive door, leave it turned on, touch it or move it. -_-

Yeah, complete BS, as far as I know. PS2s seem to have all kinds of problems, ranging from voltage adjustment being necessary (though I'm unsure of why and what causes this), the magnetic assembly that holds discs while they're being played (don't want to weaken this? don't leave discs in your PS2 when it's off!), all kinds of stuff. I've been pretty good with my PS2, and I've had it from launch wit no incidents whatsoever. But then again, I've kept it in horizontal mode and I don't leave discs in it, and I've watched a LOT of movies.

But some people take immaculate care of their PS2s, and they drop dead anyway.

And sometimes bees come out and attack you.

Holiday
1951th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Thu 21 Aug 01:53post reply

Ok, thanks for the replies, everyone!
I'll go and play some DVDs on it when I get home later. I'll also check out that DVD remote thingy; I've seen it sold before but I've never bothered getting it.

Too bad I don't have the new SCPH-50000 model; that one comes with in-built infrared support for the remote.

I do take good care of my PS2, but after reading a lot of stuff, it seems that luck plays a big factor in its lifespan too :)
Oh, and love is a factor, as JJJ pointed out.

quote:
... And sometimes bees come out and attack you.

Mmmh, in the mood to play some DoDonPachi after reading about bees!

Anime and manga: the cute path to financial ruin

DarkZero
221th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Thu 21 Aug 02:31post reply

Every console has its rumors, but for some reason the PS2 ones just won't die. My PS2 works. Everyone else I know has a working PS2. Some PS2s, somewhere, have broken, but then again, all of the consoles break. It sounds like Undead Fred has a broken (or semi-broken) Xbox, but a working PS2. I have a broken GameCube, but a working PS2. They're complex machines that have been cheaply mass produced by machines and factory labor, so it is unfortunately just the nature of the beast.

I wouldn't believe anything that tells you how to "extend the life of your PS2". Some are put together well, others are not, and most of the guidelines for keeping your PS2 alive are probably just mythology. Someone had a DVD in their drive when their PS2 finally gave up and died, so they assumed it was the DVD that did it. This is no different than foolish ancient tribesman witnessing their crops grow better after slaughtering a young virgin. It's a lack of simple logic, commonly known as "being a dumbass".

It's true that the PS2 isn't a great DVD player, though. However, this is only a problem if you can actually use a great DVD player, which most people can't. If you don't have surround sound and a giant HDTV screen, you don't need a great DVD player with all the bells and whistles. It's also incompatible with poorly made DVDs, which means that you can't use it with some anime DVDs that were released before the PS2 came out. If you were hoping to whip out your old Outlaw Star DVDs tonight, then you're SOL. Otherwise, you're fine.

suichi
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Thu 21 Aug 05:01post reply

I have two friends who work at different game stores, one is GameStop, the other Electronics Boutique. Both of them say that they see more PS2s coming in for repair or replacement because of the DVD drive being bad. 1 in 4 comes back within a few months.

The DVD drive in a PS2 just wasn't meant to play DVDs properly. The motor is a quick read motor that's meant to spin up fast, read the DVD info for the game it's processing, and then spin down again. A very common thing for CD format systems. But it can't handle spinning at high speeds for long extended periods of time. After a while of hard use, it burns out. When or if yours will, is debateable, but the average PS2 will it seems. The XBox is more sensitive to playing certain formats and can be very picky about clean DVDs or unbalanced disks, but it's motor was meant to be similar to the average long spinning DVD reader. So it can handle the playing of DVD movies for long periods of time much better than the PS2 hardware can.

Whether you like one or the other is pointless, honestly. But myself and my two friends do not recommend playing DVD movies on your PS2 or using it's vertical or upright stand. The vertical position puts stress on the spinning motor in an unbalanced way and will burn out the motor quicker than the normal horizontal position.

--Suichiro

DarkZero
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Thu 21 Aug 12:53post reply

quote:
I have two friends who work at different game stores, one is GameStop, the other Electronics Boutique. Both of them say that they see more PS2s coming in for repair or replacement because of the DVD drive being bad. 1 in 4 comes back within a few months.

The DVD drive in a PS2 just wasn't meant to play DVDs properly. The motor is a quick read motor that's meant to spin up fast, read the DVD info for the game it's processing, and then spin down again. A very common thing for CD format systems. But it can't handle spinning at high speeds for long extended periods of time. After a while of hard use, it burns out. When or if yours will, is debateable, but the average PS2 will it seems.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, though. Sony has already modified the chips in the PS2 to combine them and therefore make them cheaper, as well as making other small modifications to the hardware that many mod chip afficionados have catalogued. But yet, they haven't changed the DVD drive motor over the course of the system's life, even though they're supposedly suffering greater refund costs than any other console manufacturer? Or actually, let me rephrase that. They're losing money on refunds for 25% of their systems, which easily dwarfs the profits gained from the other 75% of the systems that they sell, which would give them a negative cashflow... but they've never addressed this problem which has supposedly been around since the PS2's inception.

I also find it odd that there is no documentation of this supposedly widespread problem with the PS2. When the Xbox and GameCube debuted at nearly the same time in the United States, there were detailed analyses on major news sites (I remember MSNBC had it, but I forget which others) of the refund statistics for both consoles. The result was that the Xbox was temporarily higher in the beginning and then quickly came down to the GameCube's level, but that's beside the point. The point is that that data was available before and should be available now. If one out of every four PS2s required a refund, you'd think someone would've noticed.

quote:
The vertical position puts stress on the spinning motor in an unbalanced way and will burn out the motor quicker than the normal horizontal position.

I agree with this, though. I'm not sure how the whole "vertical PS2" thing got started, but it seems about as brilliant as giving your GameCube a bath.

Raven1234
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Thu 21 Aug 14:46post reply

the sound is really low so make sure go to setup>audio>set it to 2+

Porcellino
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):PS2 playing movie DVDs" , posted Thu 21 Aug 15:07post reply

Late (again) but here I am to tell you about my experience playing DVD in my PS2.

Well...most of the people won't believe me if I say that playing the wrong movie (maybe because of any scratch...damage...or who knows) will kill your PS2...Im here to say that happened to me...twice.

I hate playing DVD's on my PC and using the living room DVDplayer would require me to sit up...so I always use my Ps2. Quality is GREAT, IMO...well..at least it is great when you use any Macrovision-removing-thingie like Action Replay and the magnificent scart cable...any other option won't show so good results.

Well...I was playing a dunno-its-name movie with Robin Williams as a photo-psycho or something and my PS2 began to make the most disturbing noises I had ever heard from any console...later, since my warranty was already done, after opening it I saw how the magnet wich hold the disc was literally gone (se fue de putas, como poco). For any reason that disc forced so much the gear wich rotates the disc that It just collapsed (well, thats what I think...Im not a Ps2-Engineer). I managed to fix it...closed my ps2 and...just for curiosity I played the same movie....and happened again...in the same moment (after pressing dont-remember-what in the main menu).

"My Ps2 was old...1 year and 3 months are way a long life for a fu$%ng Sony machine, isn't it?" is what I thought while paying 100 to Sony..but my new PS2 lasted 2 months and 3 weeks...crashed the same way with a different movie (I still love Donnie Darko...even if it killed my PS2 @_@).

That's what I had to say...Hope you are scared because the fragility of the PS2 reading gear/len/magnets/whatever is something to be scared of.

I bet you never heard such thing like the one that happend to me....but I'd bet that you don't know so many ppl who rent so many DVD's and use its PS2 for watching them.

Tobanaibutaha...tadanobutada....