[an error occurred while processing this directive] Japanese Text in WindowsXP - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Radish
1559th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 09:26post reply

Hey. I'm just wondering if there's a way to get Japanese text to show up correctly in applications run in WinXP. They just show up as a garbled mess of "........" and I thought I had installed Global text support or whatever but it doesn't seem to affect this at all. And help would be appreciated.

Replies:

Mosquiton
868th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 09:39post reply

quote:
Hey. I'm just wondering if there's a way to get Japanese text to show up correctly in applications run in WinXP. They just show up as a garbled mess of "........" and I thought I had installed Global text support or whatever but it doesn't seem to affect this at all. And help would be appreciated.

I think the only way to do that is to install a Japanese OS... and if you're not profficient it's probably not a great idea... I know better at least. Heh.

/ / /

Juke Joint Jezebel
2183th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 10:06post reply

i'm not completely sure but it may depend on the program for non-Japanese operating systems. what programs are you trying it in? for me, things like internet explorer and notepad lets me view Japanese text, but aim and trillian just produce a bunch of question marks. also, Trillian goes apeshit if i try to send someone a file with Japanese text in the name

VManOfMana
193th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 10:30post reply

You need to do two things to be able to read Japanese text:

1. Add Japanese language support. In previous versions of Windows you had to download the language pack, but starting in XP (or 2000) you only have to go to your language options (Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages). Check "Install files for East Asian languages". It will ask you to reboot (I think).

Additionally, you can go to the Details dialog of "Text services and input languages" section to add support to type Japanese text.

Up to this point you will be able to see Japanese text as long as the application can use the proper font depending on the encoding. Examples of this are Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Netscape. However, most fonts included in Windows do not support Japanese text, so programs that always use the default font (Winamp for example, or pretty much any program with a GUI) won't work. So for that...

2. Change the system's language settings.

Go to the Advanced tab in the same dialog and go to the "Language for non-Unicode programs" section. By default it is English. Make it Japanese and press OK. You will have to reboot.

Now your programs will be able to read and write Japanese text without problems. Also, if you have files with Japanese names you will be able to see the Japanese characters as well. There are some catches, though.

* Some dialog fonts will look different like in Illustrator, and you will see the Japanese yen symbol instead of a backslash for directories.
* If there are multilanguage programs that depend on the system's setting to choose the language, you won't be able to use the program in English. This sucks for me since the Java SDK is an example, so I have to revert back to English when I have to program, so I can't see the Japanese of my Anime/JPop CD rips while programming, nor edit MP3 tags in Japanese).
* If you want to copy or edit files in Japanese, you have to go back to Japanese or the information will be lost to garbage (unless you can explicitly select the text encoding). I lost all my MP3 tags for not doing so when I copied my files from my laptop to the iMac.

And BTW, MacOS's international character support is WAAAAY superior. No need for language settings other than what language you want to type in, which is easily accessible in the menu.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Radish
1560th Post

"Re(4):Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 10:52post reply

Thanks! I already installed the languages but I didn't know you had to set it like that. I'll try it in a few. Thanks for the tip!

Kaepora
205th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 11:47post reply

If I remember right, you can only get other languages for menus and within Windows (as opposed to just viewing web sites or documents) if you are using Windows XP Professional.

Radish
1561th Post

"Re(6):Japanese Text in WindowsXP" , posted Tue 19 Aug 14:49post reply

quote:
If I remember right, you can only get other languages for menus and within Windows (as opposed to just viewing web sites or documents) if you are using Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for the help guys; it works great. And I AM using WinP pro if that made a diference of not I'm not sure.