[an error occurred while processing this directive] Favorite redesigns? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Rid Hershel
5360th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 16:47post reply

A good thing about videogames and anime (well, mostly videogames) is when suddenly the artists decide to redraw a character, making changes to its design. Not too frequent in this era of reused sprites and 3d models looking all the same, but sometimes happens.

We've seen this since the NES era, but it became more evident when the sprite sizes got bigger and more detailed. Who doesn't remembers Cammy returning in X-Men vs SF with her new costume, or Terry looking like an older Blue Mary in Garou MOW. Mai got boobs when she appeared in KOF (she wasn't the bouncy one in Garou densetsu) and Nakoruru became a cute little fairy in SSWR2. And of course, Athena has been changing sprites every year, and Megaman has a lot of versions around.

What changes has been your favorites? That's the question. And please explain why.

Replies:

iggy
1483th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 17:07post reply

I've heard a rumor saying that someone here actualy likes the ugly SF Zero version of Chunli... The rumor didn't say who it was, but as a hint, it said it was person who loves hagueing people here and there...
I really wonder who it can be.
Oh, and for me, I love the new design of Morrigan in... well, no, OK, it's not funny.

「あ!そっかぁ!さっきのセリフさ、ナンパやったのな。」
「違う!!違う!!違う!!」

ZamIAm
1020th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 17:14post reply

Sonic's more streamlined look

SvC:Chaos Guile's hair

Champion of the Underrated

Zazzarius
253th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 17:15post reply

when Dr. Baldhead turned into Lovable Faust

ZamIAm
1022th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 17:22post reply

Does this also count changes in art STYLE? For example, Velma looks cuter in What's New Scooby Doo due to the fresher colors even though it is technically the same look.

JINKIES

Champion of the Underrated

talbaineric
5375th Post

"Re(5):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 17:49post reply

quote:
Does this also count changes in art STYLE? For example, Velma looks cuter in What's New Scooby Doo due to the fresher colors even though it is technically the same look.

JINKIES

Gotta love that catchphrase!

One character that's change a lot over the years is Athena. She always remains fresh,design-wise. Which I'm cool with.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.

The Big Bad
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 18:03post reply

quote:
I've heard a rumor saying that someone here actualy likes the ugly SF Zero version of Chunli...

HEY!

Not redesigns as much as having an new artist use an old style, but I really like the designs of Zelda: LttP Advance, like the one in my avatar. It's definetively my favorite of the multiple Zelda character redesigns.

Athena is also notable, with her newest costume being the best one yet.

As for cartoons, Starfire's redesign for the Teen Titans cartoon rules, as well as every redesign for the current TMNT series.

talbaineric
5376th Post

"Re(3):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 18:15post reply

quote:
I've heard a rumor saying that someone here actualy likes the ugly SF Zero version of Chunli...

HEY!

Not redesigns as much as having an new artist use an old style, but I really like the designs of Zelda: LttP Advance, like the one in my avatar. It's definetively my favorite of the multiple Zelda character redesigns.

As for cartoons, Starfire's redesign for the Teen Titans cartoon rules, as well as every redesign for the current TMNT series.

Yeah,I liked the TMNT redesings,too. Especially April's.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.

Hungrywolf
2225th Post

"Re(4):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 18:18post reply

quote:

HEY!

Yeah,I liked the TMNT redesings,too. Especially April's.

The Lovely Angels in Dirty Pair Flash.

"You're good baby I'll give you that.....but me? I'm magic!"
-Bullseye Daredevil movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

Phoenix
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 18:31post reply

Kyo. XD
That bastard looks too cool.

"My only enemy is myself...and my ex-girlfriend and..."

TheBeast
1503th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Uhh....Question." , posted Mon 18 Aug 18:47post reply

Speaking of character redesigns, I heard somewhere that Benimaru gets redesigned in every KOF just like Athena. But somehow I didn't notice any difference...(or maybe because I hardly play KOF).

Athena is on top of my list for favourite redesign though.

Holiday
1941th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 19:43post reply

My favourite redesigns I can think of right now are in Kiddy Grade, although they all happen in the same series :)
I like Eclair's final design and Lumiere's 3rd one, but my favourite has to be Mecredi.
She transformed from an

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
obedient big glasses wearing girl to sexy black lace-clad lady :D Armbrust is one lucky man

End of Spoiler

I heard that they're airing Kiddy Grade in Singapore right now 0_o;;
Please come soon, Kiddy Grade season 2...

Anime and manga: the cute path to financial ruin

Satoshi_Miwa
2338th Post

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Mon 18 Aug 22:35post reply

Well, here are a few favorites...

Fujishima's later AMG designs for the Goddesses. Not a huge change, granted, but still enough to count (^^). One can't comment enough about how much his drawing style improved on OMG, and one just needs to look at Belldandy through the volumes.

I'll second Holiday's mention of Kiddy Grade....

Not a huge change, but again it's one I like, the short haired Miki in Marmlade Boy Volume 8.

In terms of games..I love how Capcom redesigned Zero for Megaman Zero.

And while some of the redesigns are spotty (*cough*IfuritaSylia*cough*), I just love the redesigns for Daley and Nene in BGC 2040 Blonde Nene just rules.

Separated at Birth?

Gen
1920th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Uhh....Question." , posted Mon 18 Aug 23:32post reply

quote:
Speaking of character redesigns, I heard somewhere that Benimaru gets redesigned in every KOF just like Athena. But somehow I didn't notice any difference...(or maybe because I hardly play KOF).

Athena is on top of my list for favourite redesign though.

His costume is a little different from time to time. I don't have his sprites memorized and I haven't taken note so I don't know if he's changed in every game.

Dr Baghead
2459th Post

"Re(3):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 02:10post reply

quote:
As for cartoons, Starfire's redesign for the Teen Titans cartoon rules

I think all the Titans got great new designs. (you mentioned Starfire already but Cyborg has actualy pants rather then bikni breifs, Robin is wearing a red 'tank top' over his green suit rather then a one-piece swimsuit, Beastboy's new colors, ears, and stance work extremely well... Raven's new costume is odd, it needs the dress part back, but her being turned into a Goth is pretty fun)

In videogames, I like Ryu's new designs

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I'm sure Stefan Jr. is going to scoff at that, but Ryu noticibly ages from Alpha to SF2 to SF3 to Galaxy Fighter... okay, so Rouwe is not Ryu, but you know if copyright laws were just a little less strick he would have been.

End of Spoiler

Devil May Cry:the movie - A ViewAskew Production?

Ammadeau
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 02:55post reply

quote:
And while some of the redesigns are spotty (*cough*IfuritaSylia*cough*), I just love the redesigns for Daley and Nene in BGC 2040 Blonde Nene just rules.

I think the two Nenes should have a battle to the death to prove which one is cuter. I like them both, though I admit to being partial to 2040 Nene.

Radish
1558th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 03:23post reply

quote:
Well, here are a few favorites...

Fujishima's later AMG designs for the Goddesses. Not a huge change, granted, but still enough to count (^^). One can't comment enough about how much his drawing style improved on OMG, and one just needs to look at Belldandy through the volumes.

His YUA designs were even more dramatic.

Jigsaw
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 15:09post reply

I really like the new Strider 2/MvC design for Strider Hiryu... It wasn't a drastic change, but it definitely gave the character lots more personality and simply made him alot cooler. :)

I also really liked what SNK did with their inclusion of the Ikari Warriors in KOF - I'm not that familiar with their original appearance, but Ralf and Clark sure are cool. :D

Rid Hershel
5366th Post

"Re(4):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 18:07post reply

I think I'll agree with the Ah! My Goddess redesigns being excellent. The characters just keep evolving. Belldandy was specially awesome in the last two volumes, the Rind saga definitely did a lot for her character. Also Urd is becoming more elegant and beautiful, leaving the cheesy fanservice we all need in Peorth's never-changing costume.

Zero and Strider Hiryu have some of the coolest redesigns I've seen lately, Capcom did a GREAT job with them. Same with Simone and Shiba in Cannon Spike (they're based on Linn Kurosawa and the Midnight Wanderers elves).

Porcellino
284th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 18:20post reply

My favourite redisgn will be, of course, the 3D version of The Little Mermaid GgGGGgGGggg nononono Pinocchio.

Thx Michael Eisner *^^*

Tobanaibutaha...tadanobutada....

VManOfMana
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 19:33post reply

I really like Chun Li's redesigns starting Street Fighter III. Third Strike introduces a radical change on her moves coupled with some very nice "fixes" on her dress design. Then CvS2 combines the best things of the Chun Li designs of SF2/Alpha and SF3.

I was also very pleased with the way Ryu evolved. The way he is portrayed in SF3 is just what I expected of an older Ryu, while keeping his essence.

Another character who was able to evolve with time but keeping the main elements is Samus Aran. Her suit's design changes with every different version, but every time it just looks more "modern" while not getting ugly or weird (if you get a chance compare how the suit changed from Metroid to Metroid II to Super Metroid). Though I got to say I am not a big fan of her fusion suit.

Nakoruru is a mixed bag for me. Her SS1 incarnation was OK. I *really* liked how she was changed in SS2 with her larger dress. I didn't like her SS3 and 4 designs maybe because I think the blue looks out of place and she loses some cuteness. The fairy Nakoruru is just adorable, and I really liked Aoi Nanase's designs as well as the ADV game design.

I got to agree with the person who said how Fujishima's art evolved with Aa Megami Sama. I don't have many of the volumes, but just opening the second and twenty first volumes and putting them together they don't even look like being the best artist.

Speaking of art evolution, compare the most recent Megatokyo strips with the first ones.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Dr Baghead
2463th Post

"Re(2):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Tue 19 Aug 20:08post reply

quote:
My favourite redisgn will be, of course, the 3D version of The Little Mermaid

You are aware there's a 3D version of her in Kingdom Hearts right?

Or are expecting the 3D version to look like this staute: http://www.varnerstudios.com /

Devil May Cry:the movie - A ViewAskew Production?

Toxico
3121th Post

"Re(3):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Wed 20 Aug 07:39:post reply

Well, most noticable are Maxima from Robo Army to KoF '99 and almost every alternative striker on KoF '2000.

Also Bright Noa (Mobil Suit Gundam)

I'm sorry, my post are not that useless/"detailless" normaly, but some bastard is checking what I write over my shoulder and since I despise that I just write something quick and press post.

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 20 Aug 07:58]

He||SinG
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Wed 20 Aug 09:55post reply

quote:
A good thing about videogames and anime (well, mostly videogames) is when suddenly the artists decide to redraw a character, making changes to its design. Not too frequent in this era of reused sprites and 3d models looking all the same, but sometimes happens.

We've seen this since the NES era, but it became more evident when the sprite sizes got bigger and more detailed. Who doesn't remembers Cammy returning in X-Men vs SF with her new costume, or Terry looking like an older Blue Mary in Garou MOW. Mai got boobs when she appeared in KOF (she wasn't the bouncy one in Garou densetsu) and Nakoruru became a cute little fairy in SSWR2. And of course, Athena has been changing sprites every year, and Megaman has a lot of versions around.

What changes has been your favorites? That's the question. And please explain why.

I loved the redesigned Jehuty in Z.O.E Anubis. The other mechs were certainly a feast to the eyes too.

Feel the Blood Of Orochi

masaka_13
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Favorite redesigns?" , posted Thu 21 Aug 03:17post reply

Rikku FFX -> Rikku FFX-2 ...

The new design is cool, but the old design is cuter.

http://rikku.org/