[an error occurred while processing this directive] Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Mosquiton
865th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Mon 18 Aug 15:59post reply

I've been playing the preview code over the last few days and just so you guys know... it's quite cool.

A lot of the SotN elements that everyone loves. Plenty of well-hidden areas and power-up items, and combat that's quite fun. You'll want to move the camera yourself at first, and you'll need to check the map often for orientation, but it's easy to do.

Looks nice too. So, the main purpose of this post is to brag... watch for full previews popping up soon.

/ / /

Replies:

Grave
575th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Mon 18 Aug 16:13post reply

quote:
I've been playing the preview code over the last few days and just so you guys know... it's quite cool.

A lot of the SotN elements that everyone loves. Plenty of well-hidden areas and power-up items, and combat that's quite fun. You'll want to move the camera yourself at first, and you'll need to check the map often for orientation, but it's easy to do.

Looks nice too. So, the main purpose of this post is to brag... watch for full previews popping up soon.

AHH! I want to play this game so badly! More previews SOON, dammit! Heheh...

I really want to know, in detail, how the map system works... a full 3D map would be very cool. But I'm more interested in the gameplay. It looked pretty rocking from the preview videos.

Radish
1557th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Mon 18 Aug 16:42post reply

quote:

Great! I hate to admit it but I'm getting a little tired of the 2D Castlevanias on the GBA since they are all a bit TOO similar so I'm eagerly awaiting this one. Can't wait for the more detailed previews to start showing up.

Mosquiton
866th Post

"Re(2):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Mon 18 Aug 17:35post reply

quote:

I really want to know, in detail, how the map system works... a full 3D map would be very cool. But I'm more interested in the gameplay. It looked pretty rocking from the preview videos.

Not a full 3D map, the castle is actually divided into sections, and different floors are marked (2F, B1, etc.) Works well though. You can zoom it, rotate it, and place markers on it.

/ / /

Mog
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Mon 18 Aug 21:01post reply

quote:

Can you give any details about the combat? I'm particularly interested in how the light/strong attacks, sub-weapons, and elemental reel all work together. Also, how was the music?

quote:

Looks nice too. So, the main purpose of this post is to brag...

Evil

A test of sorts. I'll put up something better later...

Dutch Schultz
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Mon 18 Aug 22:56post reply

the last castlevania for the gba was the only good one, i hate the bloody whip.

"I wish i was crazy so that instead of worrying about people eating me people would worry about being eaten by me." - dutch schultz

Shin ATproof
935th Post

"Re(3):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 00:34post reply

I WANT TO PLAY ALUCARD MAY CRY TOO!!!!

heheheh

EddyT
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 01:50:post reply

How are the levels like in terms of jumping around from place to place? Watching people play the E3 demo, it seemed the game was kinda flat in terms of the battleground. Kinda weird seeing that, since Castlevania is all about jumping onto different levels of ground all the time.

Just wondering... I'd love to try out this new Castlevania, but I have my fears that it won't be as exciting as the 2D platformers. It would seem hard to recreate that experience in 3D IMO.

Radish: I dunno... I thought Aria of Sorrow put a nice new spin to the series with the "Soul Steal" function. Having it set in the future (from our time) was pretty nifty, since the majority of the Castlevanias take place much earlier. Possible Spoiler:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The fact the main character was not related to Dracula or a Belmont was also a plus.

End of Spoiler

I definitely think AOS was a bigger step forward for Castlevania than the previous 2 GBA games... hopefully they're go even further next time.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Tue 19 Aug 02:08]

Daala
793th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 07:23post reply

Ah!!! I so want that game. I'm still playing the GBA games (I'm on my last one now). It looks so cool ^_^

OmegaDog
739th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 08:15:post reply

Thanks for the mini-preview on Lament -- looking more forward to it now.

quote:

Radish: I dunno... I thought Aria of Sorrow put a nice new spin to the series with the "Soul Steal" function. Having it set in the future (from our time) was pretty nifty, since the majority of the Castlevanias take place much earlier. I definitely think AOS was a bigger step forward for Castlevania than the previous 2 GBA games... hopefully they're go even further next time.

The way players are able to use the Soul Steal system is awesome (and the Castlevania Dungeon now lists a lot, if not all, the soul attacks.) But it'd be nice if they could find some other way to make it hard to get the souls instead of having to defeat the enemy OVER and OVER and OVER. It was annoying to have to do that, especially with the necessary souls.

Maybe a soul sucking move where the amount of time required varies among enemies, which is canceled when the player gets hit?

This is all just wishful thinking though -- I doubt we'll see too many more CV games with the Soul Steal system. They can't have the main character be Dracula too often, now.

End of Spoiler

"I'll punish you with my burning fist of justice!!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 14 |

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 19 Aug 08:23]

Mosquiton
867th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 09:37post reply

quote:
How are the levels like in terms of jumping around from place to place? Watching people play the E3 demo, it seemed the game was kinda flat in terms of the battleground. Kinda weird seeing that, since Castlevania is all about jumping onto different levels of ground all the time.

Just wondering... I'd love to try out this new Castlevania, but I have my fears that it won't be as exciting as the 2D platformers. It would seem hard to recreate that experience in 3D IMO.

Man, I'm going to give away all the good stuff before I write my preview... but,

You're somewhat right about most battles being on flat surfaces, although there are ledges, stairways, and inclines in many rooms. The platforming is largely separate from the combat, just know that it's definitely there and substantial.

I personally wouldn't call jumping up to whip an axe armor (standing on a higher platform) in the legs eight times 'exciting' 2D combat... or getting hit in the feet by a medusa head that came through the floor anyway. The combo system is NOT about maxing your hits, and jumping and dodging figure heavily. You need to see someone who's good at the game in action, like me!

The music is completely worthy btw. And now I need to write the preview I'm actually getting paid for!

/ / /

Fro Boy11
1830th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 10:23post reply

quote:

Man, I'm going to give away all the good stuff before I write my preview... but,

You're somewhat right about most battles being on flat surfaces, although there are ledges, stairways, and inclines in many rooms. The platforming is largely separate from the combat, just know that it's definitely there and substantial.

I personally wouldn't call jumping up to whip an axe armor (standing on a higher platform) in the legs eight times 'exciting' 2D combat... or getting hit in the feet by a medusa head that came through the floor anyway. The combo system is NOT about maxing your hits, and jumping and dodging figure heavily. You need to see someone who's good at the game in action, like me!

The music is completely worthy btw. And now I need to write the preview I'm actually getting paid for!

Cool stuff. Do you know if the soundtrack will be coming with the game, or if it'll be a pre-order bonus like the SOTN soundtrack?

Still waiting for a Dan Hibiki and Robert Garcia dream match!

Sano
196th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 10:54post reply

I'm hesitant to buy this game because Harmony of Dissonance was crap on ice. The Bosses were too easy. After taking two weeks to beat Dracula in Circle of the Moon which I love (people complained it was dark but that's the GBA's fault and people thought the card system was to hard but HOD's book system is to simple designed for retarded people) to go to HOD where I beat Dracula and every Boss in the first try is just bad. Hope it's better this time around.

pointystick
1128th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(8):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 10:58post reply

I just finished playing through SoTN for the third time, I want more info about this game! The only screenshots I saw of it weren't too flattering, has it improved?

DarkZero
220th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 11:17post reply

Difficulty, man. Difficulty. Just throw us a name. Devil May Cry? Shinobi? ...Crash Bandicoot? Castlevania games have a legacy of extreme difficulty that has been severely lacking in the GBA games (which are great otherwise) and I want my nasty enemies back!

Thanks for the preview, though. After seeing the trailer and reading EGM's preview, I was kind of wary of this game's quality.

In reply to OmegaDog's spoiler:

Actually, from what Ken Igarashi has been saying, that sounds like exactly what they'll do. Aria of Sorrow had a different name than all of the other CV titles, much like Richter and Alucard's "Dracula X" series did, and is supposed to denote a whole new series of CV games. I'm assuming that means that the game will either have Soma battling other uber-evils like Galamoth or Soma turning evil and having to be hunted down. Sounds more like the first one, though. It also sounds like Lament of Innocence is set to have a sequel, since it's sort of convenient that a brand new GBA continuity and a brand new PS2 continuity were announced at the same time.

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
836th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania: Lament... pretty damn good" , posted Tue 19 Aug 11:21post reply

Thanks for the teaser information. The more positive things I hear about this game the more excited I am to play it.
quote:

The platforming is largely separate from the combat, just know that it's definitely there and substantial.

There's 3D platform jumping that doesn't rely on the old Castlevania chestnut of having something jump out of nowhere and swat you off the platform for it's difficulty? Does that mean the jumping involves a lot of trial and error or can you judge distances and have a bit of leeway when you make the jump? I know this is a minor point to get hung up on but I've never been a huge fan of 100% platform hopping and the addition of 3D has added a whole new level of aggrivation to the proceedings. Oh well, as long as the new Belmont boy jumps better than Lara Croft I'll manage.