[an error occurred while processing this directive] How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US market ?? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

hasukii
420th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US market ??" , posted Mon 18 Aug 06:28post reply

i didnt know it was release few days ago. So how was it ? good ?

i only watched the trailer, which i think its quite ok for the dub and i still like that kung fu fighting song in this movie ...

any comments on this AWESOME MOVIE ???

hmmm ?

Replies:

Toxico
3111th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US marke" , posted Mon 18 Aug 10:34post reply

quote:

i only watched the trailer, which i think its quite ok for the dub and i still like that kung fu fighting song in this movie ...

I don't know if this helps the main purpose of the thread; but the movie has been out for a while down here and has recieved many "tumb-ups" from the people that has seen it... Sadly since we are talking about low quality fansubs the authors hardly will get any profit... I'm more eager to see it now.

Edit: Nice avatar...

OYashiroForever
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US marke" , posted Mon 18 Aug 12:38post reply

quote:

1) It actually hasn't come out in America yet. September 5th, it will be released in a limited number of theatres and, based on how well it does there, might see a wider release later on.

2) That awful dub shown in the trailer has supposedly been axed and they've decided to do subtitles instead which, while definitely cool for us folks who enjoy Asian cinema, will most likely prevent it from ever getting a wide release. Americans have proven time and time again that, as a group, we're not interested in reading subtitles.

3) Supposedly, Miramax has also cut some of the "harsher" scenes from the film to get it down to a PG rating... about 15 mins. of the original film is gone. <sigh>

My suggestion would, unfortunately, be to buy one of the many Region 0 DVDs out there. The subs will be horrible, but at least you'll actually be able to see the original film which is indeed cool and fun.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Dr Baghead
2454th Post

"Re(2):How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US marke" , posted Mon 18 Aug 13:11post reply

quote:
2) That awful dub shown in the trailer has supposedly been axed and they've decided to do subtitles instead which, while definitely cool for us folks who enjoy Asian cinema, will most likely prevent it from ever getting a wide release. Americans have proven time and time again that, as a group, we're not interested in reading subtitles.

3) Supposedly, Miramax has also cut some of the "harsher" scenes from the film to get it down to a PG rating... about 15 mins. of the original film is gone. <sigh>

ARRRGHH!!! ME AM CONFUSED!!!

They go with subtitles that only appeal to older cinema goers, yet cut out "harsher" material so kids under 13 (but with an adult) can see it? That seems counter intuitive!

You'd think if they wanted to get the PG rating they'd use a dub, no matter how bad it ends up being or if they decided to go with subtitles they leave the violence in so everyone who's seen the pirated DVD properly translated lines instead of "HERE COMES THE SOCCER!"

(here's to hoping for an "uncut" DVD with sensical subtitles AND a horrible dub track, so bad it makes this already humors movie even funnier!)

On a semi-related note: Anyone seen "Bend It Like Beckham"? How is that movie, good? I believe it's success is the only reason Shoalin Soccer is being released finally, just to tap into the whole "Hey! Look soccer!" fad, and I'm sure if does get a wide release Iron Leg's family will be refered to as "Big, Fat" (or at the very least they'll call Weight Vest that just to get people thinking of that other movie)

Devil May Cry:the movie - A ViewAskew Production?

Radish
1556th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US marke" , posted Mon 18 Aug 13:21post reply

quote:
On a semi-related note: Anyone seen "Bend It Like Beckham"? How is that movie, good? I believe it's success is the only reason Shoalin Soccer is being released finally, just to tap into the whole "Hey! Look soccer!" fad, and I'm sure if does get a wide release Iron Leg's family will be refered to as "Big, Fat" (or at the very least they'll call Weight Vest that just to get people thinking of that other movie)

I saw it and enjoyed it. The whole romantic subplot seemed really thrown in but overall it was pretty funny and I'm glad I went.

There was an advertisment for SS in the previews for Bend it Like Beckham so I would agree with you that they're trying to link the two.

pointystick
1125th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):How is SHAOLIN SOCCER doing in US marke" , posted Mon 18 Aug 13:58post reply

It's the best kung fu movie spoof I have ever seen. The special effects were so over the top to be absolutely hilarious. What's weird though is that my mom saw a trailer for it at another movie and got the idea that it is very serious, I think there is a problem with the way they are selling it in the US (I don't know since I rarely go to movies and don't watch TV).

TheBeast
1502th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Mon 18 Aug 18:39post reply

quote:

Great movie! *points to sig*

I didn't remember any abusive scenes in the movies...It would be a pity if it was to get snipped of some scenes.

threesixtee
556th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Mon 18 Aug 22:50post reply

I have some friends who saw it -

- they said there was a LOT cut out. not just graphic scenes, but the entire backstory about gold leg and his rivalry with the coach of the evil team.

for great justice.

deoch
210th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 00:16post reply

There is a legit region-0 Shaolin Soccer DVD available from HK.... I highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.dddhouse.com has legit HK DVDs for sale.. Don't be fooled by the rock bottom prices. Live Action HK movies usually are that cheap.

Dr Baghead
2458th Post

"Re(2):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 01:50post reply

quote:

- they said there was a LOT cut out. not just graphic scenes, but the entire backstory about gold leg and his rivalry with the coach of the evil team.

I thought Miramax was crazy before when they basically let Kevin Smith use them as a tool to suck up to Ben Affleck, but those cuts... those are just silly!

Miramax, you're so silly!

Devil May Cry:the movie - A ViewAskew Production?

Sensenic
717th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 14:29:post reply

quote:

Great movie! *points to sig*

Great movie indeed. All the effects are really well done, and there are really funny scenes like all the matches except the final (which is more dramatic, but totally impressive), specially the first one: "If I'm a mechanic it's normal for me to carry a wrench" (Free translation from what I recall, I know it's not the exact line at all). And those 2 scenes (Iron Foot's first and the other) with the people and the old master practicing kung fu around Too good.

EDIT PS: As a silly fact, when Gold Leg meets Iron Foot, the beer GL is drinking is from a Spanish brand (is that the right word?), "San Miguel" (Saint Michael) ^_^
quote:
I didn't remember any abusive scenes in the movies...It would be a pity if it was to get snipped of some scenes.

I think I understand why they cut it (understand, not agree. I'm against censorship, specially this stupid kind). In fact, there are some scenes of humiliation and abuse that could be, at least, stunning for the western audience, like the scene in the bar with Iron Foot and Iron Head being smashed by the public. I was surprised by them, although never to the point of thinking that those shouldn't be there.
So I think it's logical (from Miramax POV, not mine) their decision to cut all those, euh..., ¿explicit? scenes to avoid polemics and to lower the movie rating.

Hope you can understand me ^_^U
quote:

I thought Miramax was crazy before when they basically let Kevin Smith use them as a tool to suck up to Ben Affleck, but those cuts... those are just silly!

Miramax, you're so silly!

Everybody knows profitabilty and marketing studies are more important than respect to the original work ¬_¬U
-sigh-

Rincewind: Hello! Anyone out there?!

Not only he is a communist. He's a Nazi too! XD
-From the French movie Le train de la vie (The train of life)-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Tue 19 Aug 14:33]

Burning Ranger
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 15:28post reply

Well, a friend told me he saw the poster for Shaolin Soccer at a theater here in San Antonio, so it might be coming here.

As for edits, well, I hope they aren't too harsh. I want to see the Shaolin Song scene, and especially the soccer training scenes (the egg scenes are just hilarious!). But I hear that most of the edits are back in for the subtitled version, due to the bad rap the dub got.

I'll probably see it when it is released to the US.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"Never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity." -Vinnie Jones from SNATCH

threesixtee
558th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 16:44post reply

quote:

the beer GL is drinking is from a Spanish brand (is that the right word?), "San Miguel" (Saint Michael) ^_^

no way dude. san mig is a PILIPINO beer.

"san miguel... wow! ito ng beer!"

for great justice.

Porcellino
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 18:04post reply

quote:
As a silly fact, when Gold Leg meets Iron Foot, the beer GL is drinking is from a Spanish brand (is that the right word?), "San Miguel" (Saint Michael) ^_^

Im proud to be Spanish ^o^ the great GOLDEN LEG get drunks with our beer!!

I noticed yesterday, just downloaded the chinese dvd...wich made me able to see such detail

I can't expect too much from the american release...censored...and spoiled with such a terrible trailer -_-...usually Spanish edition of any DVD has less extras..less quality....I just don't want to imagine what is going to happen with MangaVideo España(or..whoever..)'s edition.

Tobanaibutaha...tadanobutada....

Megane
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Tue 19 Aug 23:26post reply

quote:

the beer GL is drinking is from a Spanish brand (is that the right word?), "San Miguel" (Saint Michael) ^_^

no way dude. san mig is a PILIPINO beer.

"san miguel... wow! ito ng beer!"

Holy shit! Really?

I didn't know that. Now I really have to watch it. ^__^

The look on someone's face when you obliterate his best friend - PRICELESS

I don't know

:devil: MESSATSU :devil:

hasukii
422th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Wed 20 Aug 05:21post reply

dam !

why make these changes .. just LAME

hmmm ?

Sano
199th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):SHAOLIN SOCCER is great!" , posted Wed 20 Aug 09:58post reply

I saw the Preview when I saw "The Tuxedo" in Theaters and laughed my Ass Off! I'll support the Flick!