[an error occurred while processing this directive] OT: Have you suffered THE blackout? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Time Mage
1580th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 02:20post reply

I was watching CNN today and saw this, a big, big blackout that has affected New York and many other cities.

Have you been affected?

Has this affected in some form the MMCafe party?

Tell me, I'm curious to know the impressions.

Replies:

Daala
790th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 05:41post reply

Yeah that was crazy yesterday. However in D.C. our building went out for a while, but it was unrelated to NYC.

quote:
I was watching CNN today and saw this, a big, big blackout that has affected New York and many other cities.

Have you been affected?

VManOfMana
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 06:21post reply

I don't think any affected person can read the forum right now :)

I know a friend in Toronto got affected, since I cannot simply access his server which hosts me.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

exodus
1115th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 06:34post reply

it affected my damn website. Which appears to be totally dead. My email too.

kinda lame!

I should move to a west coast server.

Zepy
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 06:40post reply

quote:
it affected my damn website. Which appears to be totally dead. My email too.

kinda lame!

I should move to a west coast server.

Damn! I just noticed that too, and was going to post about how insert credit's dead and never coming back up...

nEw0r0cHiEviL
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 09:17post reply

quote:
Yeah that was crazy yesterday. However in D.C. our building went out for a while, but it was unrelated to NYC.

Have you been affected?

hey daata you blackout ...in dc??

im live in DC to...im from uptown NW but i live in NE right now.....what part of dc you from?????

DA UnknowN SuspecT-FortE
AniMatriX-0r0chi
DiscpleS OF ArT-1r@^y

rAVEN1234
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 09:42post reply

I blame HazZan for this.

TRAP

Hungrywolf
2206th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 11:41post reply

quote:
I blame HazZan for this.

TRAP

MESSATSU

"You're good baby I'll give you that.....but me? I'm magic!"
-Bullseye Daredevil movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

CrazyMike
631th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 11:52post reply

Talk about a nightmare, i've heard there were people whose job is far away from their home and being unable to use the subway, still haven't gotten back after a day.

Grave
558th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 12:03post reply

I'm in northeastern PA, about 3 hours from NYC, and yet I was completely unaffected... not sure how that happened.

exodus
1116th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 13:30post reply

quote:

Damn! I just noticed that too, and was going to post about how insert credit's dead and never coming back up...

you wish, fool!

ha-HAH!

We're back up anyway...and while we were down we got hosting offers, hehe. neato.

StickClick
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 14:40post reply

I've been without consistent power for 25 hours until a good 40 minutes ago...

So... boring....

Oh, I'm from northern NJ. My street was like the only one in town without power, too. Balls.

Groove.

talbaineric
5363th Post

"Re(5):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 14:49post reply

I even heard about people who were trapped on the subway. Wow! O_O That must've been a trip. I would've gotten clastrophobic. And the subway's probably the most important way for getting around in New York. I know it was for me when I was in London.

I haven't turned on MTV. Is that stupid station affected as well? I bet those Real World freaks are going nuts right now.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.

talbaineric
5364th Post

"Re(6):OT: Have you suffered THE blackout?" , posted Fri 15 Aug 14:51post reply

Almost forgot,deepest sympathies for those in NY about the blackout.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.

ZamIAm
1015th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Fri 15 Aug 21:02post reply

quote:
I've been without consistent power for 25 hours until a good 40 minutes ago...

Think on the bright side, it could be icy right now (and a few other members might know what I'm talking about...)

Champion of the Underrated

Mog
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sat 16 Aug 00:08post reply

quote:

Think on the bright side, it could be icy right now (and a few other members might know what I'm talking about...)

Oh yes... I most certainly do. Going without power and heating for a week while the temperature outside was around 25 degrees F is not something I want to repeat.

A test of sorts. I'll put up something better later...

Juke Joint Jezebel
2174th Post

"Re(2):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sat 16 Aug 00:56:post reply

quote:

Oh yes... I most certainly do. Going without power and heating for a week while the temperature outside was around 25 degrees F is not something I want to repeat.

i think it's hell either way

i've heard hellish stories from friends and family in New York. hopefully, everyone pulled out of this all right. i hear they're slowly restoring power and it was all the result of lightning (and not terrorists). that's a plus

EDIT:
just removing the gibberish

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Sat 16 Aug 01:08]

Sano
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sat 16 Aug 19:07post reply

I suffered through the black out, but due to a psychotic episode with my landlord who cut the power to a neighbor for not paying the electricity she cut my power too accidently and I went last Friday night and Saturday without power! Got the whole thing resolved. Anyway, when the lights went out on Thursday, I thought it was just my apartment once again! Least I was prepared!

I usually cook rice in a Rice Cooker and Microwave Potatoes, but I had to cook all my food on the stove! And for toast I took a Knife and stuck it threw bread and roasted it over oven fire like Marshmellows! I love cooking Breakfast, so in the morning I was cool making eggs and Turkey Sausage. And lucky for me I was off from work so I just stayed home! Just me and my cat Willow hanging out! It was actually kind of fun! Not as fun as playing my Dreamcast, but I still had my GBA SP (Man, that sucker lit up in the Pitch Black of night) and my NGP in my eternal struggle to get the last 13 cards of Card Fighters Clash! Calling people was out as I only have a Cell and there were major problems. Got a call out to my parents, and one to my brother telling them I was OK and that ended the calls. After being a few blocks from 9/11 when the buildings went down, us New Yorkers can take on anything!

ZamIAm
1016th Post

"Re(4):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sat 16 Aug 21:03post reply

quote:
... us New Yorkers can take on anything!

The minor problem with that is that the big NY is not the ONLY place effected. NYC will get power sure enough, it's everywhere else that has problems.

Sano
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sun 17 Aug 10:26post reply

quote:

The minor problem with that is that the big NY is not the ONLY place effected. NYC will get power sure enough, it's everywhere else that has problems.

No duh. I am just stating my experience is all. Yeesh, somtimes MMcafe has some of the most over sensitive/critical people. People always bash my favorite Site Shoryuken.com for having lots of flamers, but I find the people over there to be nicer if you get to know them then some of the people here who will find any reason to attack your post.

Or, am I just sensing some New York hatred? Can't we all just get along?

Hungrywolf
2222th Post

"Re(6):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sun 17 Aug 10:36post reply

quote:

No duh. I am just stating my experience is all. Yeesh, somtimes MMcafe has some of the most over sensitive/critical people. People always bash my favorite Site Shoryuken.com for having lots of flamers, but I find the people over there to be nicer if you get to know them then some of the people here who will find any reason to attack your post.

You really think they're nicer than us?

MESSATSU

"You're good baby I'll give you that.....but me? I'm magic!"
-Bullseye Daredevil movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

Sano
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sun 17 Aug 10:47post reply

Being a big community there's lots of people there. I mostly hang in the Warrior's Fate SF Storyline Discussion Thread in the Fan Fiction Section and those people are really cool.

I've gotten in heated arguments with SNK fans at SRK, but down the line I find we agree on somethings.

Oh, there are some nice people here. It's just the few people who viciously attack me for missing one letter in a Japanese Person's name (Something no one at SRK will ever attack you for), using all caps in a Post (no one at SRK cares if you do this) or bashing Disney (Yes! There's actually a Poster here who defends Disney! No one ever defends Disney ever anywhere else!) anger me and my blinding rage makes me forget about the nice people here, Hungrywolf being one of them, Daala, OYashiro Forever also nice guys to name a few.

Well, I'm not that nice myself all the time, as evidenced by this Post.

ZamIAm
1017th Post

"suffer" , posted Sun 17 Aug 21:18post reply

quote:

Didn't mean it that way. I mean that...well, the news paints this "happy" picture of people toughing it out effortlessly. It's FAR harder than it seems and I know know that some people are/have been/will be very screwed over by this. Some people are going to DIE due to this (and I don't mean to exaggerate when you think of lack of resources and people in hospitals at this time). I apologize for coming off as anti-NY.

WINTER (couldn't help myself)

Grave
566th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Sun 17 Aug 21:42post reply

quote:
Oh, there are some nice people here. It's just the few people who viciously attack me for missing one letter in a Japanese Person's name (Something no one at SRK will ever attack you for), using all caps in a Post (no one at SRK cares if you do this) or bashing Disney (Yes! There's actually a Poster here who defends Disney! No one ever defends Disney ever anywhere else!) anger me and my blinding rage makes me forget about the nice people here, Hungrywolf being one of them, Daala, OYashiro Forever also nice guys to name a few.

Eh, maybe I'm not reading the right threads, but I hardly ever see any sort of vicious attacks here... well, except the one on HazZan in another thread, but the offender was banned, so there's one down.

Someone correcting you over a name isn't something bad... if they were rude about it, yeah, I guess that's not cool. But typing in all caps is generally considered bad etiquette in a lot of places, messageboards, emails, IRC, and what-not.

And if someone's going to defend Disney, that's their prerogative. And debating it is cool, as long as people aren't flaming the shit out of each other over it.

Hell, I don't even think there was anything offensive on this thread, and you say everyone else is oversensitive... ZamIAm points out the problems elsewhere and you're accusing him of hating NY? What's the deal?

If we all can just chill, I think everyone gets along fine. Better than on most boards, that's for sure.

Gen
1914th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Your governers will be recalled now" , posted Sun 17 Aug 22:48post reply

I hope MTV got hurt by the power shortage. I hope everyone else is ok.

OYashiroForever
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Mon 18 Aug 00:19post reply

quote:

Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but it never ceases to amaze me how friendly and well-behaved everyone here is. Sure, we have lively discussions from time to time and there have been a couple of major flame wars over the years. However, 99% of the time, people here are incredibly easy to get along with and when people show up who aren't, they're banned fairly quickly.

Now, as a long-time poster on SRK, I can tell you first-hand that their forums have gone in to the shitter over the last couple of years. When it started out (and big games were being released fairly regularly), a lot of top players posted frequently with good strats and flaming was kept to a bare minimum. Nowadays, the two major discussion forums (Fighting Game Dis and General Dis) are just swarmed with spam (Seriously... look how many threads on FGD are retarded polls, people bitching about someone else, or why some game "rulz" or "suxors"), flaming (it's gotten to the point where you can't discuss ANYTHING without people resorting to childish name-calling and incessant macho dick-waving), and elitism. Most of the major top players who used to post there now post sporadically if at all and the fellas who run the site (the Cannon brothers, Tom + Tony) have grown increasingly disenchanted with the forums (there was once a time when they actually responded to their PMs and posted in General Discussion).

A lot of the problems could be at least helped by stricter modding, but it's so out of control at this point that mods would have to do it full-time just to stem the tide. It's sad, really... most of the people who play fighting games at a competitive level are cool cats... unfortunately, the board's been hijacked by the same people who inhabit most other boards (read: whiny, self-conscious teens with bad etiquette, worse grammar, and FAR too much free time). [/rant]

In any case, just relax, turn off the caps lock, and everyone here will be just as easy to get along with as the people you mentioned (to be honest, I tend to be more combative and eager to instigate than a lot of the folks here).

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Sano
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Mon 18 Aug 09:25:post reply

First off, I apologize to ZamIAm. I completely misinterpreted what you said.

Most of the other stuff I said, whenever someone spoke to me about mispelling a Japanese name, writing in Caps or bashing Disney it was pretty harsh and came out of left field. So, I was thinking Zam was doing the same thing, so I apologize.

Well, I don't want to drag things out anymore, so I'll just apologize if I offended anyone and plead temporary (or permanent) insanity...

SRK will probably always be my favorite Site because it was the first Site I ever registered in and I learned to deal with Flamers early on. This Site beats it out in the new news department however.

[this message was edited by Sano on Mon 18 Aug 09:26]

Time Mage
1586th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Dec-Feb Southern US..." , posted Mon 18 Aug 14:28post reply

quote:
SRK will probably always be my favorite Site because it was the first Site I ever registered in and I learned to deal with Flamers early on. This Site beats it out in the new news department however.

Well, if you want strategies in Capcom games, srk is still the best option. I visit it quite often, but I try to not post very much, because of the flamers (and my usual lack of knowledge in most games).

However, I've met many cool guys over there, specially FINAL SHODOWN. He's my master in the art of fighting with Kim in CvS2, and is also a quite nice person, with one of the strangest ways of writing I've ever seen.
In the Third Strike forums people is also quite nice, and the flames are minimal. In fact, flames are usually from MvC2 players, CvS2 players, and Capcom/SNK bashing threads.