[an error occurred while processing this directive] MS's reported loss - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

justicekyo
451th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"MS's reported loss" , posted Fri 15 Nov 20:28post reply

Story Here

dont know if this was posted already.

Replies:

Radish
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):MS's reported loss" , posted Fri 15 Nov 20:37post reply

quote:
Story Here

I know Microsoft has buckets of money to throw around and all, but when do they officially let the XBox die and go to console hell along with the 3DO and Phillips CDI?

Luisinan
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):MS's reported loss" , posted Fri 15 Nov 20:52post reply

quote:
Story Here

I know Microsoft has buckets of money to throw around and all, but when do they officially let the XBox die and go to console hell along with the 3DO and Phillips CDI?

Oh they don't have buckets of money, they have oceans of money.

The future of the x-box is weird. On the one hand, Microsoft has built the ultimate console and has the funds to push it forever. If Microsoft keeps pushing the x-box long enough, the machine will succeed.

Here is how I think its going to work or fail.

Imaginary Statistics for Right Now
Percentage of gamers with an X-Box in the world: 15%
Percentage of support from Japanese game companies: 35%

Right now, the Japanese game developers are thinking two things. (a) we want there to be more then one console in the market, and one of those consoles better be a Japanese one. And (b) which is, what costs more, to make MGS3 for the PS2 or for the XBox, and which version will sell more. Right now, if you released MGS3 for the PS2 and XBOX, the PS2 version would sell more cause there are more PS2s.

In summary, Microsoft needs to give away the darn machine in order to succeed in this business. They have the best machine but everyone already has a PS2. People buy the Gamecube cause of Mario/Link/Metroid. X-Box has only a few must have titles. It will take a few N64 failures for Nintendo to die, and so far, the Gamecube will not be one of those failures.

Prediction? Microsoft will not stop supporting the X-Box. Not until X-Box 2 comes out. Microsoft will never win the console wars. It may become #2 in the US, but maybe not #2 worldwide and certainly not in Japan. If MS hangs in there long enough, they'll become a permanent #3 player, by virtue of not giving up.

$100 Gamecube? Yeah, I want one of those. At least competition is making the boxes cheaper.

Radish
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):MS's reported loss" , posted Fri 15 Nov 22:27post reply

quote:
Story Here

Oh they don't have buckets of money, they have oceans of money.

The future of the x-box is weird. On the one hand, Microsoft has built the ultimate console and has the funds to push it forever. If Microsoft keeps pushing the x-box long enough, the machine will succeed.

Here is how I think its going to work or fail.

Imaginary Statistics for Right Now
Percentage of gamers with an X-Box in the world: 15%
Percentage of support from Japanese game companies: 35%

Right now, the Japanese game developers are thinking two things. (a) we want there to be more then one console in the market, and one of those consoles better be a Japanese one. And (b) which is, what costs more, to make MGS3 for the PS2 or for the XBox, and which version will sell more. Right now, if you released MGS3 for the PS2 and XBOX, the PS2 version would sell more cause there are more PS2s.

In summary, Microsoft needs to give away the darn machine in order to succeed in this business. They have the best machine but everyone already has a PS2. People buy the Gamecube cause of Mario/Link/Metroid. X-Box has only a few must have titles. It will take a few N64 failures for Nintendo to die, and so far, the Gamecube will not be one of those failures.

Prediction? Microsoft will not stop supporting the X-Box. Not until X-Box 2 comes out. Microsoft will never win the console wars. It may become #2 in the US, but maybe not #2 worldwide and certainly not in Japan. If MS hangs in there long enough, they'll become a permanent #3 player, by virtue of not giving up.

$100 Gamecube? Yeah, I want one of those. At least competition is making the boxes cheaper.

Yeah, there needs to be competition so one company doesn't start to slack. However it's just annoying hope Microsoft keeps itself alive through shear depth of pockets when any other company would have gone bankrupt over such a poor business plan.

kaepora
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):MS's reported loss" , posted Sat 16 Nov 00:57post reply

How much was the Rare buyout again?

Fygee
443th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):MS's reported loss" , posted Sat 16 Nov 03:27post reply

quote:
How much was the Rare buyout again?

Roughly half of Bill Gates' spare pocket change.