[an error occurred while processing this directive] Lets blame GTA!!!!! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Juan
2589th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 12:50post reply

Link Here

AAA HA HA HA HA
AAA HA HA HA HA
AAA HA HA HA HA

http://www.buttermonster.com*updated!*

Replies:

NARUTO
1062th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 12:56post reply

quote:

AAA HA HA HA HA
AAA HA HA HA HA
AAA HA HA HA HA

Just the same as me, I can't stop stomping mushrooms since I play Mario sunshine!!!!!

Wait Mortal Kombat will be out soon!!!
Maybe we can...............

..Stupid peoples.........

talbaineric
4423th Post

"Re(2):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 13:01post reply

How ironic. 100 vehicles? That's interesting. Next they'll be saying that kids are smoking dope and blame it on Parappa.

Mosquiton
552th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 13:12post reply

SAN MIGUEL: It may sound like an oxymoron, but today's tech topic is mature video games. CNN technology analyst Daniel Sieberg joins us to explain.

Link Here

Ugh. This man's nuts are numb beyond belief.

/ / /

Juan
2592th Post

"Re(1):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 13:24post reply

You know whats funny? they interview these "video game experts" nobodies out of the blue talking about game violence while they havent touched a game in their lives. Isnt there a video game "authority person" that knows what the hell he is talking about?

quote:
SAN MIGUEL: It may sound like an oxymoron, but today's tech topic is mature video games. CNN technology analyst Daniel Sieberg joins us to explain.

Link Here

VariantX
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 14:13post reply

quote:
You know whats funny? they interview these "video game experts" nobodies out of the blue talking about game violence while they havent touched a game in their lives. Isnt there a video game "authority person" that knows what the hell he is talking about?

Link Here

Video game experts? Theres no such career to begin with. Its just some psychologist who's out of work and decides to become one just to make a quick buck. As if the only video games out there are the violent ones. They only look at 1 end of the gaming spectrum period which is teh smallest part of it there are barely a handful of games that go as far as gta goes.

Iron D
2073th Post

"Re(3):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 14:27post reply

Gah. The sheer stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. It seems like some folks just get stupider and stupider every day...

Useless but true fact: Australian soldiers used "We're Off to See the Wizard" as a marching song during WWII.

sabo10
156th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 14:29post reply

This 19 y/o kid stoll 100+ cars in real life?!?!?!?

That can't be right....

http://www.geocities.co.jp/WallStreet/7482 /

Juan
2594th Post

"Re(3):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 14:44:post reply

I know there isnt such a career (jesus crisp.) I meant like another unemployed lawyer that is for video games or somthing like that. But err nevermind there arent any of those.

quote:
Video game experts? Theres no such career to begin with. Its just some psychologist who's out of work and decides to become one just to make a quick buck. As if the only video games out there are the violent ones. They only look at 1 end of the gaming spectrum period which is teh smallest part of it there are barely a handful of games that go as far as gta goes.

[this message was edited by Juan on Thu 14 Nov 14:45]

Dr Baghead
1769th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 20:25post reply

quote:

Link Here

That article was writen like ass... it's writen like this "It's like, I mean, it's like you can, you can shoot people. You can shoot people and it's very bloody and you can write on a bike while you do so"

I understand it was a transcript of TV chat, but still; CNN, hire a damn editor/spell checker if you feel it's nessessary to transcribe this sort of thing!

VariantX
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 20:25post reply

quote:
This 19 y/o kid stoll 100+ cars in real life?!?!?!?

That can't be right....

Oh and thats GTA's fault because some kid stole a bunch of cars? people have been stealing cars since forever and at younger ages Its pathetic that people in this day and age blame innanimate objects and the media for every immoral thing people do. People dont want to take responsibility for everything anymore. Its still the fault of the parents and retailers who allow the kids to have those "M" rated games in the first place not that videogames are the problem to begin with.

Gen
936th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 20:55post reply

quote:
How ironic. 100 vehicles? That's interesting. Next they'll be saying that kids are smoking dope and blame it on Parappa.

I blame Parapa being made on people smoking dope.

Mozex
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 21:01post reply

quote:

The article in questionmerely recounts that the criminal claimed to be inspired by the game. I fail to see how this amounts to CNN blaming the incident on the game.

Be kind to goblins.

RugalBernstein
2834th Post

"Re(4):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 21:24post reply

" Blame the other guy " is almost an aspect of American culture. Taking responsibility for one's actions is almost unheard of; it's always " T.V's fault " or " the educational system's fault " .. People can't just accept " that kid is stupid " or " that other kid has awful parents who don't do their job " ; it's always somebody else's fault. Videogames and T.V. receive so much flak because they're inanimate objects incapable of defending themselves ( which makes them easy targets, of course. )

Hungrywolf
1719th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 21:59:post reply

quote:

Link Here

They said Metroid Prime is M rated? Huh? I didn't think it was or even would or should be... Maybe I'm wrong or maybe these gaming "experts" are mentally handicapped.

Update: I was correct, Metroid Prime is rated T (which is what I'd expect of course from the Metroid series). And that's nice of him to call mature videogames an oxymoron. I am an adult and enjoy videogames, does that mean that I am childish then, or that videogames are childish? What a moron.

"Someday we'll find it the rainbow connection..." -Kermit The Muppet Movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

[this message was edited by Hungrywolf on Thu 14 Nov 22:38]

CrazyMike
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 22:37post reply

quote:
" Blame the other guy " is almost an aspect of American culture. Taking responsibility for one's actions is almost unheard of; it's always " T.V's fault " or " the educational system's fault " .. People can't just accept " that kid is stupid " or " that other kid has awful parents who don't do their job " ; it's always somebody else's fault. Videogames and T.V. receive so much flak because they're inanimate objects incapable of defending themselves ( which makes them easy targets, of course. )

That's not neccessarily true, personal responsibility has always been a major aspect of America, we don't have the same social safety nets that some other nations have whenever you get into trouble financially etc. Besides the majority of Americans do not think all these bloody videogames and movies cause problems or else there would be widespread outcry to get them off the shelves, it is only a fringe group of radicals who want to find a reason for violence in the world.

RugalBernstein
2838th Post

"Re(6):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 22:41:post reply

Welfare isn't what I'm thinking of; it's hardly an issue of responsibility, anyway. There genuinely just aren't enough jobs to go around in some situations, and it's extremely difficult to survive on minimum wage. There's a whole " It's the poor's own fault they're poor " attitude in the U.S., and it's often not the case. Besides, you can hardly say it's a person's own fault if he's layed off to increase company revenue, can you?
I'm simply observing that individuals love to blame objects for their own shortcomings ( especially bad parents ). C'mon, since when is it the school's fault that students don't do their work? If I were those kid's parents, I'd punish the hell out of them until they damn well DID their work.

[this message was edited by RugalBernstein on Thu 14 Nov 22:47]

CrazyMike
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 22:59post reply

Actually if anything I'm tired of the, "Well he was molested as a child, he just needs counseling, that is why he hacked up 20 people, he can be cured" mentality. Face it, sick people are sick people.

Gojira
712th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"What are you talking about?" , posted Thu 14 Nov 23:04:post reply

I don't see evidence of this kind of anti-violence campaign you all seem to be crapping on. The first one says some stupid kid claimed he was inspired by Grand Theft Auto. The second one didn't have a whole lot to say on the issue except "uh" and "whoa" and "eh".

Here's the thing, the only people saying this are kids who do the crimes. They started the fire. When a stupid kid does a crime and DOESN'T blame video games we'll have less to worry about. For now though, it's the kids, not the parents or YMCA groups that are causing this. So stop blaming the wrong people.

GSPX Progress: |>>>>>40%--------| New build ready!

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 14 Nov 23:05]

CrazyMike
301th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):What are you talking about?" , posted Thu 14 Nov 23:07post reply

That is what I am saying, if there is this widespread belief in America that violent videogames and movies cause problems in the country, they would of been regulated or banned a long time ago. Not even the columbine shootings did much to put more gun laws on the books.

RugalBernstein
2838th Post

"Re(8):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 23:08post reply

quote:
Actually if anything I'm tired of the, "Well he was molested as a child, he just needs counseling, that is why he hacked up 20 people, he can be cured" mentality. Face it, sick people are sick people.

Exactly! All sorts of people have troubles like this ( I mean, being molested, bullied, yelled at, spanked, whatever the problem of the day is ), probably more than we know, but the vast majority don't go around making chairs out of people's skin. The people who do things like that are " bent " to start with.

Puar
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Thu 14 Nov 23:47post reply

quote:

Link Here

My God, that's one of the stupidest articles I've ever read.

"You should get to know me better no one's every what they seem..."

Puar
491th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Thu 14 Nov 23:49post reply

quote:

Just the same as me, I can't stop stomping mushrooms since I play Mario sunshine!!!!!

That's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. ;D

"You should get to know me better no one's every what they seem..."

Fygee
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Fri 15 Nov 00:38post reply

Where's Jeffery Dahmer when you need him? Someone needs to come and eat this retard.

Fat Cat Lim
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Fri 15 Nov 02:13post reply

quote:

Link Here

And these are supposed to be professionals speaking on the genre of gaming? They sounded more like teens fresh out of puberty with no experience about video gaming.

--------------
Mysterious. Debonair. Criminally Fruity.

NARUTO
1064th Post

"Re(2):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Fri 15 Nov 02:40post reply

Anyway they will alway look for a guilty, and the video games make an exelent one, since "they" can't defend themselves......

AirShinji
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Farktards" , posted Fri 15 Nov 03:58post reply

It's quite sad actually...

[rant] Young farktards do stupid things like that, and other farktards start to blame the games.

But seriously, I don't get why some people do such stupid things.
There was this case is Singapore, where the one gamer, A, got fragged in-game by Gamer B with the knife, in a game of Counter-Strike. Gamer A got pissed and took a real knife to stab Gamer B in the same Counter-Strike fashion.

Damn farktards. [/rant]

Sorry for ranting. =P

Mozex
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Fri 15 Nov 07:43post reply

Am I the only one to notice here that the article doesn't blame video games. The criminal is blaming the video game.

That's not to say it isn't a poor excuse, but it doesn't cause my respect for the media to decline.

Be kind to goblins.

Toxico
2557th Post

"Re(2):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Fri 15 Nov 08:01:post reply

quote:
You know whats funny? they interview these "video game experts" nobodies out of the blue talking about game violence while they havent touched a game in their lives.

Indeed, the only video-games expert I can think of is people that actually play games (Chupiler, & RugalBernstein have mustered skill on this issue.... I'm too modest to mention myself but I already did so LoL)...

Silly people, periodist... Do you realize that the number of periodist that recibe a title and that are looking for work every year is at least 50 times the number of possible job positions that they can get??? At least in my country is like that; maybe that situation -the need to justify your job- is the one that forces those people to speak such nonsenses...

Me??? I 'm no periodist, the problem is that my life is so tedious....

Obscene Voodoo Dance Teleport

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 15 Nov 08:04]

DKW
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Once friggin' again..." , posted Fri 15 Nov 08:59:post reply

...video games, or should I say console video games (you hardly ever hear about the arcades anymore now that the Mortal Kombat craze has died out), are blamed for a completely underrated problem.

...some mindless, babbling dope points the finger at the first game that comes to his head, and an unbelievably gullible press takes as something other than a pathetic lame-o excuse.

...a game that's not even been released yet is being held up for being "topless" , which, of course, only drives home the point I've made many, many times about how not going all the freaking way does nothing but draw massive controversy without convincing anyone who expects full nudity in a supposedly "adult" game to actually buy the game.

...there will be the usual round of squawking by mindless, babbling dopes whose last video game was Donkey Kong Jr., after which they realize that there already are ugly, out-of-place letter ratings on the boxes (not to mention the enormous gaudy square labels some arcade companies slap on the goddam title board), and the commercial announcers are already spelling out the ratings in the same tone of voice they do the rest of the commercial in with a perfectly straight face, so there really isn't much more that can be done. And everything will quiet down again until the next moron blames his getting into a gang fight on Dynasty Warriors or what-freaking-ever.

Move along, folks, nothing to see here...

homepage - http://home.hawaii.rr.com/dkwff

[this message was edited by DKW on Fri 15 Nov 09:00]

HazZan
836th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Fri 15 Nov 10:18post reply

quote:
Link Here

AAA HA HA HA HA
AAA HA HA HA HA
AAA HA HA HA HA

People'd find anything to knock videogames.

MESSATSU

Bootation
166th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Fri 15 Nov 19:33post reply

I dont really like GTA so i dont really care.

i kinda liked the 2d one tho....

Is this the end of Zombie Shakespeare?

Tbusch78
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Sat 16 Nov 10:25post reply

Well, however inaccurate or poorly researched stories like this may be, the sad thing is that a lot of non-gamers watch CNN and take the information presented by that channel very seriously. So because of a few misinformed journalists seeking quick fame through shock value, a lot of Americans will be misinformed.

BTW, did anyone see this story covered by another news source? Call me crazy, but I find CNN's overall credibility to be highly questionable when they cover anything other than politics and wars...

Dr Baghead
1773th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Sat 16 Nov 13:39post reply

quote:
Call me crazy, but I find CNN's overall credibility to be highly questionable when they cover anything other than politics and wars...

and when they cover politics and wars they go from "highly questionable" to "EXTREMELY questionable"

Cable news in America at one time was "let's keep people informed 24-7" but that was when CNN was the only game in town... Now it's CNN, MSNBC, Fox News Channel, I forgot their names but I'm sure CBS and ABC have news networks too (and is there a Turner/Warner one now?)

So the focus has turned from news to ratings... instead of being respectable and dignifitied, they give out military secrets (US plans tatical air strike on Sadam's secret headquaters at 1am Iraqi time, it's important to keep this secret since should Sadam escape before 1am Iraqi time the mission, to kill him at 1am Iraqi time, would fail!), follow that up with some scare tactics (could tourist fly a plane into a satalite making cell-phones stop working?!?!?!If they could people would cut off and stranded, but of they can't unless they follow these easy to do instructions...), then end it all with something about strippers or a puppy that feel into a well and would have died if not for a brave farmer and some firefighters.

Cable news is a joke and anyone who turns the dial past 7 for news is just wasting time (local news ain't any better, but at least it has weather and sports AND commericals to tell you what hijynx Channdler and Phebe are going to stir up on Friends!)

OmegaDog
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Sat 16 Nov 16:36post reply

quote:

Link Here

You know what I find disgusting about this article?

...the pessimistic responses on this board concerning it.

What it seems most of you guys did was see the two phrases "CNN" and "video games," then put on your pessimistic mindset and automatically assumed that the people there would have absolutely no idea what they were talking about. Then you go through, trying to find all sorts of faults with the article, looking at ways to make fun of the article, even if it means taking quotes out-of-context. You then post to this board, share your rants based more on your prejudicial thoughts and out-of-context quotes instead of the actual meanings of the article, then hit the POST button, thinking you're striking one against those ignorant masses.

*sigh...* Guys...

1) ...this is an exact transcript of a vocal interview. So if the interviewer and interviewee have speech problems saying "you know" too often, the transcripter has to reflect that. So, can't you look past the "you know"s to get to the heart of the definition?

-

2) ... the transcripter might not be knowledgeable in video game trivia. So, even if San Miguel and Sieburg know what they're talking about, the transcripter may still misspell certain names because (s)he doesn't know what they're taking about. Hence, "Medtroid Prime".

-

3) ...the interviewer can take into account that most of the people who will be informed by this article aren't video game players themselves. Hence, the interviewer might not necessarily be saying "It may sound like an oxymoron, but today's tech topic is mature video games" because the interviewer believes so, but to introduce the idea to those viewers out there that "mature video games" might not be an oxymoron.

And, actually, seeing that statement as a negative comment against video games is actually taking that statement out of context, because of the interviewer's almost-immediately-following statement: "But we need to say, Daniel, that these are games for adults only." The interviewer didn't, nor ever in the interview, make a statement like Daniel, these toys are corrupting our children.

The idea that this article is not against video games can further be supported by the idea that...

-

4) ... this is one of the few mainstream interviews that introduces the idea that the video game industry isn't just for kids, but is actually more like the movie industry where there's something for all markets. (I would've gone further and related it as a form of media, but hey... steps in the right direction, right?) Furthermore, the interviewer didn't disagree in a holy-righteousness-type fit, but actually acknowledged that there are the different important demographics.

Also, I'll admit there was a questionable sequence in which San Miguel seemed to be focusing on the fact that you can get points for being violent and causing chaos -- but then agreed with Sieburg when he said that people were only focusing on the controversies and not on the better aspects of the game itself -- and also agreed again when saying that the game was only for adults, not for kids. Reading through it a few times, it really seemed like the interviewer was only bringing up objectionable questions so that any folks in the television audience who had objectionable questions could be addressed by Sieburg in a manner that was actually favorable to video games.

-

5) ...knowledgeable people do make mistakes -- and they don't have the advantage of (1) having the resources in the interview seat to check an answer before they mention it [like we do with the rest of the Internet before we hit the POST button], and (2) having the time do so, as an immediate response to a question or statement is expected [unlike this BBS, where we have a reasonable amount of time to do research]. Hence, the "Medtroid Prime, which is a mature-rated game" statement -- it could very well be that Sieburg realized afterward that it was a Teen-rated title.

-

6) ...there are things that we as dedicated gamers at the Madman's Cafe (most who know how to appreciate the finer aspects of games, such as gameplay storyline, character development, graphic style, music, etc...) might be ignorant of, or even in denial of, with regards to the video games business. [This issue wasn't mentioned here, but I feel it's important to note too.]

Now, some folks here might be thinking "How can this be? We're the more enlightened persons of the video gaming community!" Sure, we might know what the heck we're talking about when discussing video games as art, but does that automatically give us free reign to dictate video games as it relates to business markets if we have no knowledge, experience, or even interest in marketing?

Hence, when the interviewer said that a game like BMX XXX existed because of the mature elements in the Grand Theft Auto series, we as dedicated gamers might think that the interviewer has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. But, we don't know if the interviewer has an interest in (or is required to be informed about) video game marketing and might be seeing descriptive statistics indicating tincreasing trends in sales for games that involve sex and gore -- and so when BMX XXX appeared with those same attributes, (s)he could've thought it was being released to appeal to those who also bought Grand Theft Auto III for the sex and gore -- even if we as dedicated gamers found that the most appealing parts of Grand Theft Auto 3 were its finely-tuned atmosphere, cinematics, script, and gameplay.

But, unfortunately, we as dedicated gamers may get so wrapped up in the idea that we're the only types of gamers to exist, and that we're the only ones to appeal to -- and as such, we don't consider that other types of gamers exist that marketers have to consider. [Secondary rant -- Why have I never seen dedicated gamers write about the marketing department when financially-successful games like the Metal Gear Solid series come to market, yet the marketing department is one of the first to be screamed bloody hell at when a financially-successful game like the N64 Superman hits?]

----

*sigh...* Yes, going into the article with a pessimistic mindset, you could get the idea that these are bumbling idiots talking about something they have no experience on. And I know that mainstream news sources have been erroneous in the past. But, why not try reading it with a smidge less pessimism? Please do give them the benefit of the doubt, guys... it'll read much differently.

5 Stage All Cleared! VICTOLY! | NEXT STAGE IS 6 |

wingzero
1069th Post

"Re(2):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Sat 16 Nov 17:31post reply

the only time i'll ever get mad really at this video games in society thing, is if games get obstructed from release (games i wanna play anyway) or if some kind of moronic law is made.

Tbusch78
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Sun 17 Nov 01:05post reply

quote:

What it seems most of you guys did was see the two phrases "CNN" and "video games," then put on your pessimistic mindset and automatically assumed that the people there would have absolutely no idea what they were talking about. Then you go through, trying to find all sorts of faults with the article, looking at ways to make fun of the article, even if it means taking quotes out-of-context. You then post to this board, share your rants based more on your prejudicial thoughts and out-of-context quotes instead of the actual meanings of the article, then hit the POST button, thinking you're striking one against those ignorant masses.

I, for one, wasn't in a pessimistic mindset, I was simply disgusted by the way in which the topic was presented. I like it when video games are mentioned on popular TV programs and channels. However, I think it's disappointing that a generally respected news source could so clearly have thrown this interview together at the last minute. I'm sure CNN's video game expert knows what he's doing, but the interviewer and writer/writers apparently didn't. Granted, the piece had to be dumbed-down a bit for the general viewing audience, but this is no excuse for shoddy workmanship. It actually makes me feel bad for the expert, since he had to play along with such a poorly constructed piece of video journalism.

As far as I have seen, CNN and other news networks apply this practice to many other subjects, and it is this general lack of background research and low quality presentation that has kept me away from such channels. As I said before, they know a lot about politics and world affairs, but lack the overall knowledge and objectivity necessary to effectively report on other topics.

Oh, sorry if I took your quote out of context : P

Hungrywolf
1721th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):What a f*cking tool...." , posted Sun 17 Nov 06:39post reply

quote:

I, for one, wasn't in a pessimistic mindset, I was simply disgusted by the way in which the topic was presented. I like it when video games are mentioned on popular TV programs and channels. However, I think it's disappointing that a generally respected news source could so clearly have thrown this interview together at the last minute. I'm sure CNN's video game expert knows what he's doing, but the interviewer and writer/writers apparently didn't. Granted, the piece had to be dumbed-down a bit for the general viewing audience, but this is no excuse for shoddy workmanship. It actually makes me feel bad for the expert, since he had to play along with such a poorly constructed piece of video journalism.

As far as I have seen, CNN and other news networks apply this practice to many other subjects, and it is this general lack of background research and low quality presentation that has kept me away from such channels. As I said before, they know a lot about politics and world affairs, but lack the overall knowledge and objectivity necessary to effectively report on other topics.

Oh, sorry if I took your quote out of context : P

agreed.

"Someday we'll find it the rainbow connection..." -Kermit The Muppet Movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

Undead Fred
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Lets blame GTA!!!!!" , posted Sun 17 Nov 11:49post reply

quote:
"'Blame the other guy ' is almost an aspect of American culture."
That's not neccessarily true, personal responsibility has always been a major aspect of America, we don't have the same social safety nets that some other nations have whenever you get into trouble financially etc. Besides the majority of Americans do not think all these bloody videogames and movies cause problems or else there would be widespread outcry to get them off the shelves, it is only a fringe group of radicals who want to find a reason for violence in the world.

Dude, not taking responsibility for your own actions has to be about 75% of all of the lawsuits out there... Remember the '90's? Frivolous lawsuits EVERYWHERE. "I wasn't a dumba** and spilled coffee in my lap, it's McDonald's fault because the coffee didn't have a big red 'coffee = hot' label on it." Videogames are the current scapegoat for everyone's mistakes. It used to be movies and "that rock and roll music the kids are into."

I liked the part where games are either "immature or 17 and over." Like you people have been saying, I wish they'd get someone who knew what they were talking about. I'm sick of this kind of thing. "It's like, it's like the game where you, you know, should, like, be aware of... see? You can beat up people."

...and what is up with the "the game reflects the people that play it" crack??? If I shoot and destroy and kill in the game instead of walk up and down the street and only drive the cars that are supposedly mine, that means I'm just like Tommy? Hell no. I love GTA, but I'm definitely not going to do any of that in real life. That should go without saying. That's one of the reasons why the game is so much fun: you can do what you can't in real life (well, technically you can do it in real life too, but only if you like getting killed or thrown in jail for a very long time). GTA fans aren't psychos. If you don't like the game, DON'T PLAY IT AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR KIDS ARE INTO. Let us have our games and go pay attention to your kids. If you'd bother to take a SECOND to read the rating and game description, then you'd have nothing to screech about when your already screwed up kids burns the house down. Oh wait, they did watch Beavis and Butt-Head....