[an error occurred while processing this directive] Sprite Ripping - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

ZamIAm
759th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Sprite Ripping" , posted Wed 13 Nov 22:24post reply

Where can I find a good resources on how to properly sprite rip? This is coming from someone who has NEVER done it before.

Why be Prince of the Forest when you can be King of the Jungle?

Replies:

Holiday
1516th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Sprite Ripping" , posted Wed 13 Nov 23:34post reply

quote:
Where can I find a good resources on how to properly sprite rip? This is coming from someone who has NEVER done it before.

Hmm, but first, which console would you like to rip sprites from? ^^

Dr Baghead
1764th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 11:53post reply

jumping on this topic for selfish reasons... but does anyone know which NeoGeo Emulator is best for sprite ripping?

(I don't want a link, just the name. I'd like to make attempt a MUGEN character but need sprites first)

oroch
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 12:15post reply

quote:
jumping on this topic for selfish reasons... but does anyone know which NeoGeo Emulator is best for sprite ripping?

(I don't want a link, just the name. I'd like to make attempt a MUGEN character but need sprites first)

neoragex and kawaks work pretty well for sprite rips

Dr Baghead
1765th Post

"Re(3):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 12:30post reply

quote:
neoragex and kawaks work pretty well for sprite rips

well I have NeoRageX so I'll go with that... any idea where I might find a tutorial on ripping with it?

Genjuro
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 13:17post reply

quote:

well I have NeoRageX so I'll go with that... any idea where I might find a tutorial on ripping with it?

just press tab when you need the screenshot.Go to screen shots factory.uncheck the default background if you wish so.from the little boxes to your left you can keep what you wish in the pic,for example only the mutilated body of Haohmarou without the life bars above..
Then save screenshot and you'll find it in the screenshots folder of NeorageX.Keep in mind that it will be saved in .bmp format.

Freeter
3446th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 13:57post reply

quote:

NeorageX. Shots Factory lets you get those frames with ease.

oroch
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 15:01post reply

quote:

just press tab when you need the screenshot.Go to screen shots factory.uncheck the default background if you wish so.from the little boxes to your left you can keep what you wish in the pic,for example only the mutilated body of Haohmarou without the life bars above..
Then save screenshot and you'll find it in the screenshots folder of NeorageX.Keep in mind that it will be saved in .bmp format.

save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,psave the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,psave the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame

until you have what you want

p.s. you'll want to have alt background selected also

Dr Baghead
1768th Post

"Re(6):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 20:07post reply

quote:

save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,psave the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,psave the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame,save the shot, step the frame, save the shot, step the frame

I couldn't figure out to get "next frame" to work... I just need someone to explain this to me like I'm retarded:

I've got the character I want isolated on the screen, alt. background is selected... now what do I do? How do I make him do kicks punches, special attacks, etc.? (maybe I was doing something wrong because I hit LP and Ryo did nothing...)

ZamIAm
760th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"System" , posted Thu 14 Nov 20:59post reply

Either PlayStation or Game Boy Advance. This is specifically for for a game I own already--SFA3. I actually have the US GBA version preordered.

Why be Prince of the Forest when you can be King of the Jungle?

oroch
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 21:31post reply

quote:

I couldn't figure out to get "next frame" to work... I just need someone to explain this to me like I'm retarded:

I've got the character I want isolated on the screen, alt. background is selected... now what do I do? How do I make him do kicks punches, special attacks, etc.? (maybe I was doing something wrong because I hit LP and Ryo did nothing...)

do lp in game

then immediately hit tab and goto the screen factory and take the shots, and move to the next frame in the factory

sometimes it'll seem like next frame hasnt changed anything, but its changed

Dr Baghead
1770th Post

"Re(8):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 21:58post reply

quote:
do lp in game

then immediately hit tab and goto the screen factory and take the shots, and move to the next frame in the factory

sometimes it'll seem like next frame hasnt changed anything, but its changed

Ahhhh!!! That makes sense (can't believe I didn't think to try that!)

I'll reattempt this ripping stuff tomorrow, thanks!

the REAL master
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Sprite Ripping" , posted Thu 14 Nov 22:56post reply

someone make a good laurence blood and i will send $5 to yer paypal. I'm trying to make my lackey team of billy, john and laurence

Genjuro
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):System" , posted Fri 15 Nov 14:48post reply

quote:
Either PlayStation or Game Boy Advance. This is specifically for for a game I own already--SFA3. I actually have the US GBA version preordered.

about GBA you can try Visualboyadvance the emulator..I'm not sure about that..
But for psx games try zophar's utilities.usually the format is .tim and you can rip it easily
http://zerosoft.zophar.net/
you can find .tim rippers elsewhere too.just search a bit

Freeter
3449th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(9):Sprite Ripping" , posted Fri 15 Nov 15:41post reply

quote:
Ahhhh!!! That makes sense (can't believe I didn't think to try that!)

I'll reattempt this ripping stuff tomorrow, thanks!

Only get the frames that are different. Otherwise you'll wind up with a bunch of unnecessary screencaps.

GekigangerV
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Sprite Ripping" , posted Fri 15 Nov 15:53post reply

quote:

Only get the frames that are different. Otherwise you'll wind up with a bunch of unnecessary screencaps.

Ho ho, man that happened to me once. I was trying to get Geese's raging Storm, I got like a large amount of screen shots, but only needed like half of them.

Is there a problem with Neorage with win XP because I can't get a single version to work on my computer.

大すきなのは ヒマワリのタネ

Dr Baghead
1771th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Sprite Ripping" , posted Fri 15 Nov 20:00post reply

quote:
Ho ho, man that happened to me once. I was trying to get Geese's raging Storm, I got like a large amount of screen shots, but only needed like half of them.

speaking of Geese... does anyone know who to rip "unused" sprites? I've heard tale KoF96 had like one extra DM per character that was never put into use (not that I need them but for completion sake for Geese, Goenitz, Mr.Big, and Krauser they're nice)

Fat Cat Lim
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Sprite Ripping" , posted Fri 15 Nov 22:52:post reply

quote:

Fake Shot Tutorial (Basic)

Very old thread of mine. I used to have an advanced topic up but it's gone. :( Oh well, maybe I'll retype it after my exams since I still have the pics for it.

To capture the special move animation without switching back and forth Shots Factory, or view the unused KOF96 sprites, you need one thing, and that is the Debug Bios file.

Debug Bios download

Unzip the debug bios file in your NRX directory. Load the game you want to rip the sprites from. After the Neo Screen startup, access the Debug Bios menu by pressing the 2nd player Select button + 2nd player C button.

**IMPORTANT**
Once you're in the Debug Menu, earn to get adjusted to navigating the menu. Sounds like stupid advice, but it is really important. Anyway, once you're familiar, switch on dip switch 1-1, the sprite viewer.

Go back to the game. You should see a weird sprite on the screen (by default, it is usually either Kyo or K' (from KOF99 onwards). Ignore it at the moment and then go to Practice Mode. Once you're in practice mode, use the select button, hold it to pause the game and access the sprite viewer by navigating with your ABCD buttons.

I won't go into detail but once you're familiar with the controls, you should have no problem viewing all the characters sprites and animation. Once you find the sprite you like, go back to it, and switch windows to the Shots Factory, isolate the sprite, then advance the sprite animation frame by frame, pausing one by one while capturing at the same time.

Small note: If you scroll through a character's sprites too far, it will usually freeze the game. Don't worry. Just reset NRX and repeat the process.

A page to learn more about the Debug Bios Dip Switch settings

--------------
Mysterious. Debonair. Criminally Fruity.

[this message was edited by Fat Cat Lim on Fri 15 Nov 22:55]