[an error occurred while processing this directive] NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new "kiddy"? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

crom
34th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new "kiddy"?" , posted Tue 12 Nov 04:46post reply

I dunno, the industry seems to be like "first ps2 the the x-box" but these days it's nintendos little lila machine that bugs me most- Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Eternal darkness, Resident Evil zero- and next year Zelda, FFcrystal, REvil4 (finally!). Oh, and Sega is doing a NGC-F-zero- YES!

Sony, on the other hand, is acting rather odd, lately- yeah, there is GTA:Vice city, but then there is that censoring of XXX:BMX (tough for the US-market only I hope) and these days one platformer after another is making its rounds. Is sony overconfident, or are they just expanding into new grounds?

Replies:

Radish
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 05:58post reply

quote:
I dunno, the industry seems to be like "first ps2 the the x-box" but these days it's nintendos little lila machine that bugs me most- Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Eternal darkness, Resident Evil zero- and next year Zelda, FFcrystal, REvil4 (finally!). Oh, and Sega is doing a NGC-F-zero- YES!

Sony, on the other hand, is acting rather odd, lately- yeah, there is GTA:Vice city, but then there is that censoring of XXX:BMX (tough for the US-market only I hope) and these days one platformer after another is making its rounds. Is sony overconfident, or are they just expanding into new grounds?

Although I might be giving Sony too much credit here, it might be possible that they censored BMX XXX because it wasn't worth taking the eventual flak for a game that crappy. The nudity was an obvious gimmick to get people to buy a game that would normally be forgotten before it was even released.

HazZan
830th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"They're bringing back F-Zero? yip peee!!!" , posted Tue 12 Nov 10:08post reply

I haven't played this game in a good minute.

This is the only racing game that I have ever liked in my entire life. All the others suck.

MESSATSU

price is right
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 10:10post reply

quote:

Although I might be giving Sony too much credit here, it might be possible that they censored BMX XXX because it wasn't worth taking the eventual flak for a game that crappy. The nudity was an obvious gimmick to get people to buy a game that would normally be forgotten before it was even released.

...eternal darkness....

lately, ps2 has had more than just vice city -_-

anyways, yea, what radish says, haha, who really cares about the nudity in that game anyways, for me, it looks nowhere near as good as is could look, your better off, jus gettin off to the new doa, now that game, tops nudity, mmm mmm those girls are fine

Juan
2574th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 10:40:post reply

To the contrary, Eternal Darkness is a very fine game. Storyline and gameplay wise, and they added some pretty cool elements and weapons. And then you have Too Human from Silicon Knights later on for the cube.

Why do you think is a bad game? (
Or was it because you didnt have a bouncing rack as a main character to keep attention on the game?

quote:

...eternal darkness....

anyways, yea, what radish says, haha, who really cares about the nudity in that game anyways, for me, it looks nowhere near as good as is could look, your better off, jus gettin off to the new doa, now that game, tops nudity, mmm mmm those girls are fine

http://www.buttermonster.com*updated!*

[this message was edited by Juan on Tue 12 Nov 10:41]

OYashiroForever
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 10:43post reply

quote:

While I would certainly agree that Sony is WAY over-confident at this point (and have been for quite some time), I don't think that has anything to do with censoring BMX. However, you bring up a good point.

Nintendo's "kiddy" image is absolutely ridiculous. Sony + Microsoft don't have any more violent 1st and 2nd party games than Nintendo. The "problem" is that Nintendo still has rotten 3rd party support and a lot of the ones that make the ultra-violent stuff simply don't do games on the Gamecube (due to exclusivity contracts and what not). The irony is that the only people who whine about Gamecube being "for kids" are usually ignorant kids/teens themselves.

The point: real gamers own all three systems and don't get in to pissing fights over which one's better. If you don't have the PS2, you're missing out on Square games, GTA, and a lot of other stuff. If you don't have a GC, you're missing out on Metroid, Zelda, and RE. If you don't have an X-brick, you're missing out on, errrr.... Halo (and the best online service).

"I haven't slept for 10 days because that would be too long."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Fro Boy11
1172th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 14:31post reply

quote:

While I would certainly agree that Sony is WAY over-confident at this point (and have been for quite some time), I don't think that has anything to do with censoring BMX. However, you bring up a good point.

Nintendo's "kiddy" image is absolutely ridiculous. Sony + Microsoft don't have any more violent 1st and 2nd party games than Nintendo. The "problem" is that Nintendo still has rotten 3rd party support and a lot of the ones that make the ultra-violent stuff simply don't do games on the Gamecube (due to exclusivity contracts and what not). The irony is that the only people who whine about Gamecube being "for kids" are usually ignorant kids/teens themselves.

The point: real gamers own all three systems and don't get in to pissing fights over which one's better. If you don't have the PS2, you're missing out on Square games, GTA, and a lot of other stuff. If you don't have a GC, you're missing out on Metroid, Zelda, and RE. If you don't have an X-brick, you're missing out on, errrr.... Halo (and the best online service).

Yeah, I would probably have an XBox, but they don't have the games for me. I mean there's Halo, CvS2, WWE RAW 2, and that's about it....well, maybe Shenmue 2, but after a year it's not exciting to me anymore.

Fygee
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 14:47post reply

Eternal Darkness was arse. I've played so many better games in that genre, and I was only scared once by it, and it was a cheap one.

iggy
948th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 15:11post reply

quote:

On PS2 : screw Square : the PS2 is above everything the Benami console!! I want Pop'n 9 NOW!
For the best online service... I think a PC is fine too, and more functional^_^ (but it doesn't have beach volley)

無知にはムチを!

Omar
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 15:14post reply

quote:

The irony is that the only people who whine about Gamecube being "for kids" are usually ignorant kids/teens themselves.

Hideo Kojima did mention (in an interview way before MGS2 was released, probably EGM) that developers see the GC as a kids (or familiy) oriented console. That would explain why Konami releases so many Disney games for GC and no MGS2 or Substance.

The censorship of BMXXX: I feel it's mostly sales related. If stores ban or do not carry the game it will sell less. Censorship means a slight chance of getting in more stores and more money for Sony and Acclaim.

It occurs to me that an awful lot of trouble in Gotham City could have been averted a long time ago if Batman had just ripped the Joker's nipples off.

A man with the nipples ripped off him does not make the same mistakes twice.

I mean crime in Gotham City doesn't exactly seem to be affected by a man dressed as a bat flapping around the place. But no-one disobeys a man wearing a necklace of human nipples.

"I'm Batman" isn't cutting it in the striking-fear-into-their-hearts stakes. But "I'm Batman -- and I'm here for your nipples" is an entirely different proposition.
-- Warren Ellis

Juan
2579th Post

"Re(4):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 15:15post reply

Why did you think it was bad? Mainly because it didnt scare you? what about gameplay, graphics, story, etc? Its your opinion but id like to read why, most people that i talked to liked it (the ones that told me it was bad cant really give any more details than "UH HUH HUH hey Beavis it sucks!")

quote:
Eternal Darkness was arse. I've played so many better games in that genre, and I was only scared once by it, and it was a cheap one.

Dragon-warrior
655th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 15:38post reply

Eternal Darkness is one of the best thrilling stories in the VG world, this game is not RE were you expect zombies to scare you or dogs coming through windows, ED is about a story that was scary, it had a awsome Graphics and nice Soundtrack and one of the best Voice actting ever!
ED is a very very good game.

wingzero
1067th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 15:47post reply

quote:

i've always stuck up for poor old nintendo when people bash it for bein too 'kiddy'

Mosquiton
544th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"I too liked Eternal Darkness." , posted Tue 12 Nov 15:54post reply

I didn't know there were so many people that actively disliked it, seemed like quite a slick game to me apart from a few issues.

The creature design could have had more variety and been more original, character models weren't that great, a few mechanics didn't agree with me... but watching your character go insane and going along with them was great. Plus, I agree with the positive qualities other people mentioned.

Just my two cents Canadian. And about the GCN... yeah that BMXXX is ironic.

Still, so many good PS2 titles on the way... but again speaking of the Cube has anyone tried CUBIVORE yet? Looks pretty fresh, I hope to try it soon.

/ / /

Radish
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):I too liked Eternal Darkness." , posted Tue 12 Nov 16:21post reply

quote:
I didn't know there were so many people that actively disliked it, seemed like quite a slick game to me apart from a few issues.

The creature design could have had more variety and been more original, character models weren't that great, a few mechanics didn't agree with me... but watching your character go insane and going along with them was great. Plus, I agree with the positive qualities other people mentioned.

Just my two cents Canadian. And about the GCN... yeah that BMXXX is ironic.

Still, so many good PS2 titles on the way... but again speaking of the Cube has anyone tried CUBIVORE yet? Looks pretty fresh, I hope to try it soon.

Atlus should be wasting less time on Cubivore, Dual Hearts and Robopon and translate some damned Megami Tensei games. Hell, even Devil Children will do at this point.

price is right
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 18:30post reply

quote:
To the contrary, Eternal Darkness is a very fine game. Storyline and gameplay wise, and they added some pretty cool elements and weapons. And then you have Too Human from Silicon Knights later on for the cube.

Why do you think is a bad game? (
Or was it because you didnt have a bouncing rack as a main character to keep attention on the game?

...eternal darkness....

noo, i dont need big breasts to make a game good, i just made that comment in comparison to bmx xxx or whatever its called, i really dont have much of a reason for not liking eternal darkness, i just dont like it....much, its all just personal preference, shouldnt really have to give a reason, right ? if you dont like it, you dont like it, shouldnt affect the way other people think about the game...

Juan
2580th Post

"Re(5):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 21:15post reply

Well yes you have your own opinion and at the moment i dont have the ability to brainwash anyone. But I really havent heard bad thing from people about that game So it would be nice to hear some details. Besides just saying it sucks or using smileys doesnt look too sharp.

quote:
noo, i dont need big breasts to make a game good, i just made that comment in comparison to bmx xxx or whatever its called, i really dont have much of a reason for not liking eternal darkness, i just dont like it....much, its all just personal preference, shouldnt really have to give a reason, right ? if you dont like it, you dont like it, shouldnt affect the way other people think about the game...

Hungrywolf
1714th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 21:25post reply

quote:
Why did you think it was bad? Mainly because it didnt scare you? what about gameplay, graphics, story, etc? Its your opinion but id like to read why, most people that i talked to liked it (the ones that told me it was bad cant really give any more details than "UH HUH HUH hey Beavis it sucks!")

I like Eternal Darkness. Of course, we talked a lot about it Juan. I too heard some negative things about it recently and was wondering why people didn't like the game.

"Someday we'll find it the rainbow connection..." -Kermit The Muppet Movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

Dragon-warrior
657th Post

"Re(6):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 21:28post reply

I have talked with one guy about this, he told me that he would like to see a cool detailed charactars and monsters, cuz he played RE remake before seeing ED, so that's how he see it he want nice looking women and a scary cool mosters.

OYashiroForever
47th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Tue 12 Nov 22:49post reply

quote:
On PS2 : screw Square : the PS2 is above everything the Benami console!! I want Pop'n 9 NOW!
For the best online service... I think a PC is fine too, and more functional^_^ (but it doesn't have beach volley)

While I would certainly agree with you that Bemani is another GREAT reason to own a PS2, I think "screw Square" is a little harsh, don't ya think? While they've certainly been off their game of late (the movie was a poor business decision and they've been putting out entirely too many mediocre sports games in Japan), you simply cannot deny that with Square goes the Japanese game market. They've been the brains behind some of the most beautiful games on the market and the Final Fantasy series, regardless of your personal opinion, is the most well-loved and respected series out there. Period. Unarguable.

As for the whole online thing, of course a PC is 5x better than any of the consoles, but the Xbox definitely has the best online service of the three consoles (4 if you count the ol' DC).

"I haven't slept for 10 days because that would be too long."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

price is right
135th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Wed 13 Nov 00:08post reply

quote:
Well yes you have your own opinion and at the moment i dont have the ability to brainwash anyone. But I really havent heard bad thing from people about that game So it would be nice to hear some details. Besides just saying it sucks or using smileys doesnt look too sharp.

wait, i wasnt the person who said it sucks though ! lol saying it sucks is different from using a smiley, a big diference between saying i dont like the game, and saying that it sucks, im stating that i dont like the game MUCH, not that it sucks. i honestly cant explain why i dont like the game, maybe i just didnt spend enough time playing it ? but from what i did play...i didnt like, really not my style of game, no specific things about the game that i dont like, just the overall style of game that i just dont enjoy....

Gojira
706th Post

"Re(1):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Wed 13 Nov 04:28post reply

There is no conspiracy about it, Nintendo themselves want to appeal to the young demographic with their own first-party games. As a system developer, Nintendo was never opposed to any M-rated 3rd-party software, but since they appeal to kids and thus have kids BUY the system, it has a *much* deserved kiddy image which prevents M-rated games from reaching their demographic. It's one of the many reasons why Resident Evil didn't do well at all.

Sony hasn't changed a damn thing about what they do (they have censored before), and it just proves that the third one - Microsoft - will do anything to sell a system. Nothing has changed.

GSPX Progress: |>>>>>40%--------| New build ready!

crom
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Wed 13 Nov 06:51post reply

quote:
There is no conspiracy about it, Nintendo themselves want to appeal to the young demographic with their own first-party games. As a system developer, Nintendo was never opposed to any M-rated 3rd-party software, but since they appeal to kids and thus have kids BUY the system, it has a *much* deserved kiddy image which prevents M-rated games from reaching their demographic. It's one of the many reasons why Resident Evil didn't do well at all.

Sony hasn't changed a damn thing about what they do (they have censored before), and it just proves that the third one - Microsoft - will do anything to sell a system. Nothing has changed.

The main reason why RE didn't do "well" is that it is a remake. It did very well in europe/US, but the problem was the japanese market where everybody expected it to sell the cube- something not even Mario has done well (compared to his own standars).
No, the one thing I've noticed about sony, is that there have been more quality "kiddy" jump 'n runs lately then ever- it seems to me that sony wants to make their console even more mainstream than it is- and I can't tell why, but that disturbs me much more than microsofts cheap selling tactics (nudity+boobs=$$$).
And in case of BMX:XXX, I should have mentoned
that the cube version is uncensored too.
And by the way, please don't bash the game for nudity only- I think that the bad reviews are more a defensive reaction of the gamers (no one wants to be framed as beeing sexistic, gamers the least of all). I played a preview version, and it's not worse or better that other freestyle-games. If anyone deserves that bashing, than it's acclaim for putting the content over everything else, and all the people bashing it before even playing it.

Mosquiton
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"well Radish..." , posted Wed 13 Nov 10:33post reply

quote:
Atlus should be wasting less time on Cubivore, Dual Hearts and Robopon and translate some damned Megami Tensei games. Hell, even Devil Children will do at this point.

I hate to say it, but if you don't support Atlus by buying the software they do release you shouldn't bitch about them not releasing the games you want to see. If you've bought more than one Atlus published title this year then I'm sorry for the affront. You could be more polite about it though.

But really, Atlus sticks their necks out with every other release. If it weren't for them then the only Ogre Battle game North America would ever have seen is the SNES version of March of the Black Queen. Not to mention they introduced the Guilty Gear series to the region.

Just remember they have to make money. They're not a non-profit charity organization. Robopon has done quite well for them, I wouldn't knock that if I were you.

Wait for the new MegaTen for the PS2 to come out, it has a much better chance of being translated. How many copies of an OBSCURE PSONE RPG or a PSONE PORT OF A SUPER NINTENDO RPG do you expect they would sell in North America anyway?

Sorry to go off topic.

/ / /

Radish
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):well Radish..." , posted Wed 13 Nov 11:26post reply

quote:

I hate to say it, but if you don't support Atlus by buying the software they do release you shouldn't bitch about them not releasing the games you want to see. If you've bought more than one Atlus published title this year then I'm sorry for the affront. You could be more polite about it though.

But really, Atlus sticks their necks out with every other release. If it weren't for them then the only Ogre Battle game North America would ever have seen is the SNES version of March of the Black Queen. Not to mention they introduced the Guilty Gear series to the region.

Just remember they have to make money. They're not a non-profit charity organization. Robopon has done quite well for them, I wouldn't knock that if I were you.

Wait for the new MegaTen for the PS2 to come out, it has a much better chance of being translated. How many copies of an OBSCURE PSONE RPG or a PSONE PORT OF A SUPER NINTENDO RPG do you expect they would sell in North America anyway?

Sorry to go off topic.

I have a love/hate (90% love/10% hate)relationship with Atlus. I buy their games all the time, not just to support a company but because I think the products warrent a purchase. Off the top of my head I own Persona, Persona 2, Sky Gunner, Brigandine, Tactics Ogre, TO:KOL, Thousand Arms. Heck, I even got Hoshigami (although that was terrible.)

I still think however, that they are wasting their time with games like Dual Hearts and Robopon, when their own parent company is making much better games. I've given up hope on Innocent Sin. I can see that they would totally lose money releasing it so I have no problem. However if they want to cash in on the Pokemon craze, Devil Children is a much better choice than Robopon 2.

While SMT3 seems like a no brainer for a US release, I'm still doubtful. I'm totally grateful for Atlus; they're probably my favorite videogame company right now. However I think that they should focus a bit on some of the stuff that the company is based on. I really think that the SMT series can catch on now that videogames are becoming more adult oriented and there is much less risk in releasing a series that has already proven to be profitable in Japan. Plus, now that SMT is being released on GBA, it would be the perfect time for a port, although I'm not exactly holding my breath for that one. Considering Sega is rereleasing Phantasy Star in the US, I think there's a market waiting to be tapped for SMT, at least on systems where graphics aren't a huge priority.

Dr Baghead
1760th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Wed 13 Nov 14:07post reply

quote:

If you don't have an XBox you're missing out on the best graphics of the 3 systems (although I'd argue games on the 'Cube look just as nice, but PS2 games have a noticible lack in comparasion), the hard-drive (which is cool), and ummmm.... well my PS2 stopped running movie DVD's, so if I didn't have an XBox I'd be missing out on DVD's!

iggy
957th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Wed 13 Nov 14:32post reply

quote:
If you don't have an XBox you're missing out on the best graphics of the 3 systems (although I'd argue games on the 'Cube look just as nice, but PS2 games have a noticible lack in comparasion), the hard-drive (which is cool), and ummmm.... well my PS2 stopped running movie DVD's, so if I didn't have an XBox I'd be missing out on DVD's!

but... you have a PC? and a new DVD player would be cheaper than a X Box? (and would take less place)

無知にはムチを!

Dr Baghead
1762th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):NGCube underestimated? PS2 the new" , posted Wed 13 Nov 16:46post reply

quote:
but... you have a PC? and a new DVD player would be cheaper than a X Box? (and would take less place)

I have a PC but no DVD-drive, so that doesn't count... and yeah a new DVD player would be cheaper if I didn't already have an XBox so...

FINE! DVD playing really doesn't count as a "plus" for the XBox