[an error occurred while processing this directive] Why do you play fighting games? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Ferrio
385th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 00:00:post reply

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Long time ago i used to only play because of the characters... I always just messed around... but was never serious. In more recent times I've gotton quite serious about them.... I play to win... but that isn't why I play. If I lose.. I chalk it up as a learning experience and keep on going.... If I win... yay for me.

[this message was edited by Ferrio on Mon 11 Nov 00:02]

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
1089th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 00:09post reply

reason?
probably the top five choices
but i guess it all boils down to "for fun"
probably why you won't ever catch me in a tournament
extreme competition really ruins all the fun (for me, at least)

( I AM LOSING MY MIND )

RugalBernstein
2811th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 00:21post reply

For fun. A lot of people lose sight of this simple part of the game.

Burning Kyo
1205th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 04:57post reply

It's only for kicking bags' ass like you !

I joke ! ... It's only the semi-truth ...

I think that's mainly for the fun, besides it's the only kind of games (with few RPG) that I enjoy to play ... (^_^')

Teme no hono wa nani iro da ?

Toxico
2531th Post

"Re(2):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 05:15post reply

I play because there is no variety in the gaming industry on my city, the only thing that you can see is Fighting games & Final Fantasy.... Sometimes some racing games or other thing that I don't like...

I spent a veeerrryy large amount of credits when Sengoku 3 finally made it here.

Satoshi_Miwa
1630th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 07:39post reply

I play for fun, it's the main part of playing any game.

Ishmael
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 10:09post reply

Wouldn't "for fun" be the over-riding factor in all these choices? I'd hate to think there are people out there who are so obsessive about winning that they aren't even enjoying the act of playing anymore.

RugalBernstein
2812th Post

"Re(3):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 10:25post reply

No, there are. I once fought somebody who got so angry while playing that he broke the stick off the bloody machine.

Rid Hershel
3964th Post

"Re(3):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 10:37post reply

quote:
Wouldn't "for fun" be the over-riding factor in all these choices? I'd hate to think there are people out there who are so obsessive about winning that they aren't even enjoying the act of playing anymore.

Just check any tournament...

I play for the characters, and for fun. I suck in most fighting games anyway.

dorikyasu
634th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 10:44post reply

Back when I first got into fighting games with Street Fighter II in the arcades, it was mainly for the challenge (both CPU & human opponents)...
But nowadays, I play simply for fun of it just like most people here.

Juan
2564th Post

"Re(3):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 11:18post reply

Thats one of the reasons i dont go to the Arcades as often. Aside from the arcades sucking title wise the only people left that go there are obsessive junkies. And if you do play there is no variety or new gameplay shown, only the dogdamned "top tiers" etc etc.

No thank you sir, I rather play with friends or people i know that play for fun. They dont suck at all at fighting games, they are just good sports.

quote:

http://www.buttermonster.com*updated!*

Genjuro
272th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 11:32post reply

quote:
Thats one of the reasons i dont go
to the Arcades as often.

No thank you sir, I rather play with friends or people i know that play for fun. They dont suck at all at fighting games, they are just good sports.

same here(well another reason would be that thy banned arcades).I voted for challenge but what you get out of challenge/"victoly" is fun as Ismael also said.

High-Octane
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 11:39post reply

quote:
Thats one of the reasons i dont go
to the Arcades as often.

same here(well another reason would be that thy banned arcades).I voted for challenge but what you get out of challenge/"victoly" is fun as Ismael also said.

I voted for characters! I always look at all the charaters in the game first, choose a character which catches my attention and start playing from there!

Power is losing control... UWAHHhhhhHhh!
K9999 - Powered by Octane

YeldellGW
269th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 11:56post reply

Fun. I can not about competition.

Jason
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 12:16post reply

Why must people draw such a distict line between winning/competion and "fun"? I dunno, maybe I'm doing this whole fighting game thing wrong, but I actually have the most fun when I'm trying my best to win against stiff competition.

-Jason

ShunGokuSatsu
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 12:32post reply

Hi everybody :)

Back in the days of SF2 I used to play Fighting Games for fun. But as years passed by, I became better and better and played against other great players for the challenge (and for winning). But recently I'm not as good anymore as I used to be. Now that I'm seemingly past my prime I play fighting games because of great chara design, the athmosphere and just for the hell of it;D

Have A Nice Day!

OmegaDog
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 12:48post reply

Hey, welcome to the BBS, ShunGokuSatsu!

Augh... so many reasons to play fighting games! But, again, it's because it's a fun way to spend time -- that's my main reason. The next reason is because of character designs, which can provide inspiration for some cosplay recreations (I'll be trying more clothing-type cosplay to wear in the halls and to panels at conventions) -- and then the music. [Listening to the Third Strike Soundtrack... :) ]

5 Stage All Cleared! VICTOLY! | NEXT STAGE IS 6 |

Ferrio
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 12:52post reply

quote:
Why must people draw such a distict line between winning/competion and "fun"? I dunno, maybe I'm doing this whole fighting game thing wrong, but I actually have the most fun when I'm trying my best to win against stiff competition.

When I put fun, I sorta meant casual. As in just goofed around with a couple of friends. I didn't mean that none of the other choices couldn't derive fun. I find it fun from the challenge.

OmegaDog
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 13:06post reply

Well, in that case, I'd just like to state that I do find competitions to be fun in an intense sorta way. The competitions I've competed in have been very small (the ones at anime conventions) -- but I've still had fun playing in them.

And, shoot -- I should've mentioned that the story is the reason I keep buying episodes of the KOF series...

5 Stage All Cleared! VICTOLY! | NEXT STAGE IS 6 |

Hungrywolf
1712th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 15:04post reply

For fun.

"Someday we'll find it the rainbow connection..." -Kermit The Muppet Movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

ChunliFan
320th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 15:25post reply

For me it's definately the top 5. I could sit here and tell you that I never gotten mad at a fighting game because i wasnt serious, but that would be a lie. I've grown to love characters of my favorite fighting game series Street Fighter and King of Fighters. I also play for fun as well. I play to win, for fun, likable characters, and its just something that ive been good at for a while. Like Ferrio, when I lose, I see it as a learning experience, and a learning experience is good in anything.

RugalBernstein
2814th Post

"Re(3):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 16:21:post reply

quote:
When I put fun, I sorta meant casual. As in just goofed around with a couple of friends. I didn't mean that none of the other choices couldn't derive fun. I find it fun from the challenge.

Ah, well. I'd probably say I enjoy testing my skills against others, too. I just REALLY dislike it when I play somebody who takes it so seriously they fly in to a rage if they lose. " How the fuck did you beat me? I was using fucking Sagat! Who the fuck are you, anyway, you dick face? " is one quote I recall... Now, that person had a problem.

Edit: I think Juan once said that he fought somebody who got so angry he walked around and started kicking all the cabs... Juan, can you confirm this, or was this somebody else?

[this message was edited by RugalBernstein on Mon 11 Nov 16:29]

Juan
2570th Post

"Re(4):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 16:35post reply

Yep thats true. Little crybaby didnt think there was someone to counter his foolproof cheapness, and started venting his anger on the cabinets. Kodak moment.

Oh and this one just a weekend ago, playing soul calibur 2, i decided to try out conquest mode, and there was some guy watching closely on the background, i get beaten by the captain of the team and he starts screaming "YEAAAHHH MY AI BEAT YOU YOUU SUCKK YIIAAA YEAAAAHHH" runs around a little bit. So my friend and i decide to continue several times against his team and beat his invincible ai several times.
Who was his character? button masher kilik no less :) I told him to have a round against me using any other character, i pay for his credit, but he made excuses not to play.

PUTO!

quote I think Juan once said that he fought somebody who got so angry he walked around and started kicking all the cabs... Juan, can you confirm this, or was this somebody else?

http://www.buttermonster.com*updated!*

Jason
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 17:26post reply

Someone I played in sf3 once punched a hole in the arcade wall after losing. Good thing he stalked out afterwards, or I would have . . . uh, probably gotten whooped on.

-Jason

Orion
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 17:46post reply

quote:
Poll

Long time ago i used to only play because of the characters... I always just messed around... but was never serious. In more recent times I've gotton quite serious about them.... I play to win... but that isn't why I play. If I lose.. I chalk it up as a learning experience and keep on going.... If I win... yay for me.

1º because I can play
2º it's healtier than pickin' brawls in the street
3º just play for fun

HazZan
829th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 18:07post reply

quote:
Poll

I play it for the challenge and for my favorite character Gouki San.

MESSATSU

emeraldazn
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 18:07post reply

i play cuz the action never stops.

Amakusa
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 23:36:post reply

I play for fun.

I admit I used to be one of those people who played to win, and one time that almost got me into a fight (because, naturally, being such an average player, I can't compete against people who go to the arcade every week). After that I realized how stupid it was, and how I probably could've gotten beaten up in the parking lot (no joke, this was a life-flashing-before-your-eyes event).

After that I started seeing things that were right in front of me. I realized I was effectively playing against the same people, all the time, using nearly the same characters every time, doing nearly the same things every time (usually KOF, because nobody else had the balls to play, say, SS 64 2. Although I do get a kick out of being the best Kasumi user at the arcade-- nay, the only one who uses her-- it doesn't mean a whole lot to some people). I really got sick of that, and I stopped playing altogether. The only time I even think to play one nowadays is against friends or family at home.

EDIT: When I say 'play to win,' I really do mean your sole purpose for playing is to beat the other guy into the ground. I don't think that's very healthy.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Mon 11 Nov 23:43]

Time Mage
977th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Mon 11 Nov 23:57post reply

OK, I voted "for fun" but the real reason (that involves "for fun" obviously) is:

-Because is the best kind of game to play versus, and I like to play with my friends. I mean, How boring can be a fighting game if you play alone all day? Fighting games are fun because not also they're designed for versus mode, but also every match takes less than 5 minutes (usually), and that's a plus when 6 of your friends gathers at your house with CvS2 hunger in their eyes. We fight for fun, but of course we do whatever is necessary to win, only that usually with random select ^_^
We bitch and insult, of course, but in a friendly way: "Tendrás coña!!!!!!!", "Perro!!, Que eres un perro!!!", or "Pero qué suerte tienes, no te lo crees ni tú!!!" etc...

(sorry for not translating, but the phrases looses their essence, and... ooops! I'm late for classes!!!!)

LenaShock
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Tue 12 Nov 02:04post reply

just for fun.
well... maybe because I always lose to someone else

Daala
603th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Tue 12 Nov 05:41post reply

Stress management count?? LOL

coinop duck
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Why do you play fighting games?" , posted Tue 12 Nov 12:20post reply

I'm pretty bad at most of them, but a little better than most of my friends. So I play mostly for fun. The most fun, of course, is when I'm fighting the only one of my friends that can match me. Our battles actually make people watch in anticipation, even though neither of us is very good in a general sense. I find that hilarious.