[an error occurred while processing this directive] The Anime Network - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Magus Darkstar
86th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 15:20post reply

|Source: Anime on DVD|

ADV FILMS ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF THE ANIME NETWORK(tm) ON DIGITAL CABLE
FOR THE FIRST TIME, QUALITY ANIME PROGRAMMING TO BE AVAILABLE ON CABLE TELEVISION 24 HOURS A DAY

HOUSTON, November 6, 2002-ADV Films today announced publicly the creation of The Anime Network(tm), the first television channel in North America dedicated to anime (Japanese animation) and anime-related content. The Anime Network(tm) targets the nation's estimated 85 million cable television subscribers, and seeks to capitalize on cable's increasing dominance in the world of at-home entertainment.

Initially announced in June, 2002 at ADV Films' 10th Anniversary party in Tokyo, and announced in the U.S. at ADV's November 2 invitation-only 10th Anniversary party in Houston, the creation of The Anime Network(tm) has the industry abuzz with excitement and speculation.

"This has been in the works for some time," said ADV Films President, Founder and CEO John Ledford. "Until now, the market and the culture haven't been ready for it. But today ever-increasing numbers of Americans are becoming familiar with anime and its distinctive aesthetic; they're curious about anime, they're hungry for it, and The Anime Network(tm) is going to deliver it right to their televisions."

Competitive Advantage
While existing cable outlets have enjoyed strong ratings with limited blocks of anime and anime-inspired animated programming, The Anime Network(tm) will make fine anime programming available to viewers 24 hours a day.

"The Anime Network(tm) is the next logical step," said Ledford. "The television outlets that currently carry anime aren't meeting the potential demand; they offer very limited selections of titles, and only during very restricted hours. The Anime Network(tm) will change all of that, and we're excited to be leading the revolution."

Content
The Anime Network(tm) model is structured around four categorized content areas: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts. These categories are designed to include virtually the entire spectrum of quality anime, while contextualizing content for new viewers unfamiliar with specific titles.

Coming Up
Coming soon, releases detailing geographic/service provider availability of The Anime Network,(tm) along with information about whom viewers can call regarding local availability; also, a sneak preview of programming that will be available in The Anime Network(tm)'s first months.

About ADV Films:
In 1992, ADV Films (ADV) began to forge the international market for Japanese animation ("anime") by combining unique titles, outstanding production values and efficient large-scale distribution. Today, ADV is the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation to the North American market, with the firm's holdings including such premier titles as "Spriggan", "Sailor Moon," "Samurai X," "Medabots," "Robotech," "Gasaraki" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." ADV has also expanded into other forms of genre programming, including live-action science fiction programs "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" and "Farscape," and classic science fiction such as "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe." Headquartered in Houston, Texas, USA, with additional offices in the EU and Japan, and distribution on four continents, ADV is fast becoming an international entertainment powerhouse. For more information, visit ADV on the web at http://www.advfilms.com .

| Final Fantasy Alpha Forums | Darkstar Okonomiyaki |

Replies:

GekigangerV
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 15:29post reply

quote:

FOR THE FIRST TIME, QUALITY ANIME PROGRAMMING TO BE AVAILABLE ON CABLE TELEVISION 24 HOURS A DAY

HOUSTON, November 6, 2002-ADV Films today announced publicly the creation of The Anime Network(tm), the first television channel in North America dedicated to anime (Japanese animation) and anime-related content. The Anime Network(tm) targets the nation's estimated 85 million cable television subscribers, and seeks to capitalize on cable's increasing dominance in the world of at-home entertainment.

Initially announced in June, 2002 at ADV Films' 10th Anniversary party in Tokyo, and announced in the U.S. at ADV's November 2 invitation-only 10th Anniversary party in Houston, the creation of The Anime Network(tm) has the industry abuzz with excitement and speculation.

"This has been in the works for some time," said ADV Films President, Founder and CEO John Ledford. "Until now, the market and the culture haven't been ready for it. But today ever-increasing numbers of Americans are becoming familiar with anime and its distinctive aesthetic; they're curious about anime, they're hungry for it, and The Anime Network(tm) is going to deliver it right to their televisions."

Competitive Advantage
While existing cable outlets have enjoyed strong ratings with limited blocks of anime and anime-inspired animated programming, The Anime Network(tm) will make fine anime programming available to viewers 24 hours a day.

"The Anime Network(tm) is the next logical step," said Ledford. "The television outlets that currently carry anime aren't meeting the potential demand; they offer very limited selections of titles, and only during very restricted hours. The Anime Network(tm) will change all of that, and we're excited to be leading the revolution."

Content
The Anime Network(tm) model is structured around four categorized content areas: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts. These categories are designed to include virtually the entire spectrum of quality anime, while contextualizing content for new viewers unfamiliar with specific titles.

Coming Up
Coming soon, releases detailing geographic/service provider availability of The Anime Network,(tm) along with information about whom viewers can call regarding local availability; also, a sneak preview of programming that will be available in The Anime Network(tm)'s first months.

About ADV Films:
In 1992, ADV Films (ADV) began to forge the international market for Japanese animation ("anime") by combining unique titles, outstanding production values and efficient large-scale distribution. Today, ADV is the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation to the North American market, with the firm's holdings including such premier titles as "Spriggan", "Sailor Moon," "Samurai X," "Medabots," "Robotech," "Gasaraki" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." ADV has also expanded into other forms of genre programming, including live-action science fiction programs "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" and "Farscape," and classic science fiction such as "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe." Headquartered in Houston, Texas, USA, with additional offices in the EU and Japan, and distribution on four continents, ADV is fast becoming an international entertainment powerhouse. For more information, visit ADV on the web at http://www.advfilms.com .

Samurai X and Eva are very strong titles that will probably get them the most viewers initially. I didn't know Sailor Moon was on their roster. Maybe Sailor Stars dub is in the works? Or is there already one, I have not seen a saiolr moon ep in like 3 years. I wonder how unedited they can show their stuff. I don't have Digital cable, but it looks like I will have to get it.

大すきなのは ヒマワリのタネ

Freeter
3407th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 15:31post reply

I had a feeling this was headed to Digital Cable. Crap. All the good stuff is there now.

Damn Basic...

Bad Anton!

Juke Joint Jezebel
1064th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"say it with me KU-RU-MI!!" , posted Wed 6 Nov 15:37post reply

hm
i really don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
off topic, i guess that's how we (hehe, just me and Hagen) got a bunch of free posters. i didn't even know they were located in Houston

End of Spoiler

"Who wants warm nuts?" -- Stewardess Miss K

Magus Darkstar
87th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 15:45post reply

quote:
I didn't know Sailor Moon was on their roster. Maybe Sailor Stars dub is in the works?

ADV releases the DiC, dubbed, edited versions of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R. They'll be releasing a subbed, uncut version next year.

As for Sailor Stars, Pioneer has been working on uncut DVDs of the later seasons, so I'll bet that they'd do it, as soon as they get to it.

| Final Fantasy Alpha Forums | Darkstar Okonomiyaki |

Hungrywolf
1693th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 16:29post reply

quote:

Competitive Advantage

Content

Coming Up

About ADV Films:

Samurai X and Eva are very strong titles that will probably get them the most viewers initially. I didn't know Sailor Moon was on their roster. Maybe Sailor Stars dub is in the works? Or is there already one, I have not seen a saiolr moon ep in like 3 years. I wonder how unedited they can show their stuff. I don't have Digital cable, but it looks like I will have to get it.

As far as Samurai X (I hate that name) they only released the movie and the first set of OVAs. They don't have the Rurouni Kenshin TV series, do they? (I have all of it except the last DVD now anyway).

"Someday we'll find it the rainbow connection..." -Kermit The Muppet Movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

OmegaDog
267th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 17:34post reply

quote:
As far as Samurai X (I hate that name) they only released the movie and the first set of OVAs. They don't have the Rurouni Kenshin TV series, do they? (I have all of it except the last DVD now anyway).

Anime Works has the rights to the Kenshin TV series. And, as such, I believe that Anime Works has the rights to the Rurouni Kenshin name locally -- at least that's why I believe ADV calls what it has Samurai X. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

5 Stage All Cleared! VICTOLY! | NEXT STAGE IS 6 |

Hungrywolf
1695th Post

"Re(4):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 17:56post reply

quote:

Anime Works has the rights to the Kenshin TV series. And, as such, I believe that Anime Works has the rights to the Rurouni Kenshin name locally -- at least that's why I believe ADV calls what it has Samurai X. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

Yeah, that's why I thought they called it Samurai X. I wish Anime Works would've just got the rights to all the Kenshin stuff though.

Hungry Like the Wolf

talbaineric
4396th Post

"Re(5):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 18:08post reply

Coolness!

*wonders if they'll have Monster Rancher*

GekigangerV
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 18:54post reply

quote:

That is weird that they have the right for some of the stuff, but not all of it.

大すきなのは ヒマワリのタネ

Radish
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 19:06post reply

This is great and all, but when will someone make an all Asian Gameshow Network?? I must see the show where they put a fish hook in the guys mouth and raise it slightly every time his girlfriend answers a trivia question incorrectly or the candid camera show where they go around and tell kids that their parents are dead. I MUST BE APPEASED!!

gekigangerV
186th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 19:36post reply

quote:
This is great and all, but when will someone make an all Asian Gameshow Network?? I must see the show where they put a fish hook in the guys mouth and raise it slightly every time his girlfriend answers a trivia question incorrectly or the candid camera show where they go around and tell kids that their parents are dead. I MUST BE APPEASED!!

Yes Asian Gameshows own. I am surprised the Gameshow Network hasn't picked any up. I have nothing against Family Feud, but I just dont want to see it 15 times a day.

大すきなのは ヒマワリのタネ

CrazyMike
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 20:12post reply

So what all companies are signed on to this network? I hope Bandai would be, though I seriously doubt it, I would love to see Gundam, especially since are canceling it yet again.

Mmeeva
155th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 20:34post reply

quote:

Sony was the reason the Kenshin stuff put out by ADV is called Samurai X, not Anime Works.

It was apparently due to the fact that the name Samurai X would probably appeal to more people than Ruroni Kenshin would.

sabo10
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 21:20post reply

Hooo boy

Gunsmith Cats 24/7....

It'd be nice if they would start aggressively liscensing and subbing a variety newly airing shows in Japan for the network, and have them out about as fast as the fansubbers do.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/WallStreet/7482 /

Freeter
3411th Post

"Re(2):The Anime Network" , posted Wed 6 Nov 22:54post reply

quote:
It'd be nice if they would start aggressively liscensing and subbing a variety newly airing shows in Japan for the network, and have them out about as fast as the fansubbers do.

I bet they'll welcome the challenge...

Bad Anton!

Daala
602th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 05:25post reply

waaaaaaaaaa! :: falls over :: thank goodness I have digital Cable, but I have this feeling my cable company won't get it for a long long time... So it's back to the action channel for me.

Satoshi_Miwa
1610th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 07:28post reply

Intresting news, and I hope it makes up to Canada (though I doubt it...-.-). And it also makes the TV landscape for anime much more intresting (One has to wonder if ADV will try to woo away some big name shows from CN or other sources...)

Hungrywolf
1698th Post

"Re(5):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 10:50post reply

quote:

Sony was the reason the Kenshin stuff put out by ADV is called Samurai X, not Anime Works.

It was apparently due to the fact that the name Samurai X would probably appeal to more people than Ruroni Kenshin would.

Well, the only reason I bought the Samurai X stuff was because it was Rurouni Kenshin. Sometimes if a name is changed for American release it doesn't bother me too much, but I don't think it was necessary, and I'm glad the TV series at least got the proper name.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Dragon-warrior
645th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 11:38post reply

so can I see it now? if I have digital cable?
or should I call the company?

DKW
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 12:36post reply

If it has Samurai Pizza Cats, I'm sold!

...what? Hey, there are some of who go for unhinged screwball comedy, you know. (And don't anyone say Urusei Yatsura, which is about as unhinged or comedic as macroeconomics.)

homepage - http://home.hawaii.rr.com/dkwff

Juan
2558th Post

"Re(8):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 13:11post reply

I used to watch that show all the time, hilarious. Someone should release the original Japanese version on dvd with pop ups to explain the obscure references like Excel Saga.

In Juan Theft Auto we deviate threads!

quote:
If it has Samurai Pizza Cats, I'm sold! ...what? Hey, there are some of who go for unhinged screwball comedy, you know. (And don't anyone say Urusei Yatsura, which is about as unhinged or comedic as macroeconomics.)

http://www.buttermonster.com*updated!*

Cain Highwind
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 21:21post reply

quote:
so can I see it now? if I have digital cable?
or should I call the company?

I'm wondering this myself, either way, it's EXCELLENT news.

Cain Highwind
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):The Anime Network" , posted Thu 7 Nov 21:34post reply

quote:
(And don't anyone say Urusei Yatsura, which is about as unhinged or comedic as macroeconomics.)

WHHHHHHHAT!?!?Urusei Yartsura rocks! It's one of the funniest series done by THE greatest comedy writer Ms. Takahashi herself. If they show Urusei Yatsura here, I'll personally wet myself with joy.

Well, not really, but I'll be happy. ^_^