[an error occurred while processing this directive] Question about "The Ring" - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Shin ATproof
850th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Question about "The Ring"" , posted Mon 4 Nov 21:04post reply

I haven't seen the original or the new version...nor do I have any idea what it's about other than I heard it is based off of some urban legend. I was wondering if anyone could give me a somewhat brief synopsis about "The Ring" with minimal spoilers?

Oh and what other "The Ring" references, tribues and ripoffs do you know of? The most recent I have seen is Guilty Gear XX's Zappa.

Many thanks to those with information.

Replies:

Zyzyfer
638th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Question about" , posted Tue 5 Nov 01:16post reply

There's a tape which gets around, which happens to be cursed. Whoever watches it promptly receives a phone call after watching it. On the phone, they hear a message which states "You have 7 days to live." Within 7 days' time, you receive another phone call(forgot the message this time), and then you kick the bucket.

The Japanese flick focuses on a woman whose niece or some sort of distant relation or friend's relation recently died, and she's trying to investigate to find out what happened. She ends up watching the tape, and the movie is based on her trying to get herself out of the mess she's gotten herself into.

I hope that's free enough of spoilers.

I don't mind the sun sometimes the image as it shows
I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes
Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies
You never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes...

price is right
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Question about" , posted Tue 5 Nov 02:07post reply

quote:
I haven't seen the original or the new version...nor do I have any idea what it's about other than I heard it is based off of some urban legend. I was wondering if anyone could give me a somewhat brief synopsis about "The Ring" with minimal spoilers?

Oh and what other "The Ring" references, tribues and ripoffs do you know of? The most recent I have seen is Guilty Gear XX's Zappa.

Many thanks to those with information.

http://ringworld.somrux.com/faq.htm

actually, i dunno if this will help or not should be free of spoilers as well....or maybe nto, haha, go neways, lol

forgot who gave me this site, it was someone on this board, credit goes to whoever it was -_-

Puar
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Question about" , posted Tue 5 Nov 11:43post reply

quote:
7 days' time, you receive another phone call(forgot the message this time), and then you kick the bucket.

Second phone call? What? When does that happen? I don't remember seeing this in either versions.

"You should get to know me better no one's every what they seem..."

Zyzyfer
639th Post

"Re(3):Question about" , posted Wed 6 Nov 01:23post reply

quote:
Second phone call? What? When does that happen? I don't remember seeing this in either versions.

in the japanese version, the chick hears the phone and is all nervous because she's actually afraid the myth about the tape might be true. she lets it ring for a reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaally long time, and then finally picks it up, and it's her parents, coming back from a movie or something like that. it's right at the beginning of the movie.

exodus
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Question about" , posted Wed 6 Nov 01:31post reply

warning: it's not nearly as scary as people have been saying :/

Puar
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Question about" , posted Wed 6 Nov 08:09post reply

quote:
in the japanese version, the chick hears the phone and is all nervous because she's actually afraid the myth about the tape might be true. she lets it ring for a reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaally long time, and then finally picks it up, and it's her parents, coming back from a movie or something like that. it's right at the beginning of the movie.

That's in the US version as well. See? There is no second phone call from the killer.

Rid Hershel
3932th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Question about" , posted Wed 6 Nov 09:39post reply

quote:
warning: it's not nearly as scary as people have been saying :/

Well, people overhyped Battle Royale a lot, too. I can't imagine why everybody said that it was violent... And having students with guns isn't as shocking in US (or here in Argentina) as it is in Japan... (not to metion a silly script that didn't made sense...). I'll try The Ring anyway... but not soon I guess.

On the other hand, still waiting for Returner...

Ishmael
289th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Question about" , posted Wed 6 Nov 10:11post reply

quote:

That's in the US version as well. See? There is no second phone call from the killer.

Yeah, the second call at the beginning of both movies was a red herring more than anything. The truth of the matter is that after you see the video your name and telephone number gets added to a list that telemarketers use so you start getting telephone calls all the time. Calls when you're trying to eat dinner, take a nap, go to the bathroom... they just won't take "no" for an answer. After seven days of this you'll *wish* you were dead.

Zyzyfer
640th Post

"Re(5):Question about" , posted Wed 6 Nov 23:14post reply

quote:

???

uhhh....but there is.

Puar
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Question about" , posted Thu 7 Nov 01:58post reply

quote:

???

uhhh....but there is.

...No there isn't. It doesn't happen. It's the parents at the beginning and there's no additional phone calls aside from when someone watches the tape.

Gunsmith
16th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(7):Question about" , posted Fri 8 Nov 13:21post reply

uhhh

2nd phone call? I dunno...

But watch the film! If you like spooky movies then you'll like it. It's not a gorefest, it's about suspense. If you don't dig horror movies at all then don't bother.

I loved it!

----------------------------------
The ignorant die a thousand deaths
www.orochinagi.com