[an error occurred while processing this directive] Best Console Controllers Of All time? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Bootation
160th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 10:16post reply

My vote would be the Nes Pad, and the sega saturn japanese controller.

Most played games currently:
(Dreamcast)
Ikaruga DC
Kof 2000 DC
Rez DC
Street Fighter 3 3rd strike DC
Marvel Vs. Capcom DC

(Saturn)
Soukyougentaii
Thunderforce V
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Megaman 8(This game has the most hilarious bosses ever voice dubs.)
Groove On Fight
Vampire X

Replies:

Rid Hershel
3903th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 10:18post reply

PS Dual Shock and the Saturn small one.

Burning Kyo
1170th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 10:20:post reply

quote:

Saturn's pad (jp), (Neogeo arcade stick 'n pro stick).

Teme no hono wa nani iro da ?

[this message was edited by Burning Kyo on Sat 2 Nov 10:21]

useff
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 10:24post reply

Most definitely the Saturn controller.

Mozex
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 10:43post reply

quote:

Have you even held an NES pad recently. They are extremely uncomfortable. They weren't even contoured, just a box with buttons on the top.

Be kind to goblins.

kikkoken
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 12:22post reply

First: the Super Nes pad
Second: The Neo geo stick
Third: The Neo Geo CD/ NGP mini stick

Doomsday wa watashi no suki na ybi desu.

Sklathill
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 12:25post reply

Saturn Pad, Saturn Pad, Saturn Pad! It's great for the way I hold my controller (2, 3, and 4 fingers on ABC rather than using the thumb.) Perfect spacing of the buttons. Great DPad. When it comes to Joysticks, I have these two Apollo Pros with adapters for various (older) systems that I use for arcade games. Great feel, very responsive.

The Temptation of Wheat is upon us!
---
www.insertcredit.com

Fro Boy11
1158th Post

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 12:26post reply

Dreamcast or SNES.

Radish
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 12:32post reply

I'd go with the Dualshock which was the natural evolution of the SNES pad.

OmegaDog
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 12:38post reply

Does "console controllers" mean only first-party ones? If we're only talking about first party, I'd probably also go with the PS2 Dual Shock, as every button is analogue, and with the exception of 6-face buttons, it still has a good assortment of buttons. Although, granted, there are definitely complaints I could give with each first-party controller (like, the analogue sticks on the PS2 Dual Shock are too far in the center for me).

If we include all controllers, I'd say the Mad Catz Dreamcast 6-face-button controller is the best all around controller. There are the two pak slots, the analogue functions, and the nice positioning of the D-Pad and Analogue Stick that are common to Dreamcast Controllers -- and then the Mad Catz pad has six face buttons, a button reassignment function that even works for the D-Pad (say, if you want all buttons but A to be reassigned to work as R/C -- great for a game like Bangai-O when your right hand is on the analogue stick for shooting, and you want an easier way to activate the scatter missiles/lasers), and just a helpful rubbery feel to the buttons, the d-pad, the analogue stick, and the sides of the controller.

But, my favorite controllers? The Maracas Controller, of course. :) I'm still trying to see for which other games it could practically be used, besides the Samba De Amigo titles and Cool Cool Toon.

5 Stage All Cleared! VICTOLY! | NEXT STAGE IS 6 |

Genjuro
265th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 13:27post reply

However typical this may sound,the best(not favourite) controller for me is the original psx controller and the dual shock which is basically an improvement of it.

It incorporates the shoulder buttons from the snes pad and the basic shape from the mega drive one(the grips for the palms)
There were even some early designs for it that looked exactly like the snes controller!

As for favourite controller I'd have to say the Mega Drive(Genesis) one or the Master System(it was worse than the NES one..I still remember the blisters on my thumbs after playing Double Dragon..)

Juke Joint Jezebel
1040th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"You're all WAAAY off!!" , posted Sat 2 Nov 14:02post reply

the American xbox controller is perfect

no competition with the crap controllers that all of you listed!

centerice123: fight herpes with herpes man

Fuchikoma
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):You're all WAAAY off!!" , posted Sat 2 Nov 14:11post reply

The orignal white jap Saturn pad is definitely the king of pads for 2d fighters. For best all around controller I go for the N64 pad, it's very under-rated. I use an adaptoid to use the controller on my PC and it's great for 3d PC games like Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and Spiderman the Movie, and with the 6 face buttons and a nice pad it's good for any emulated Neo/Capcom fighter.

Samus reborn for a new generation

kaepora
43th Post

Rare Customer

"'Bout time someone likes the X-Box controller" , posted Sat 2 Nov 14:15post reply

quote:
the American xbox controller is perfect

no competition with the crap controllers that all of you listed!

I have yet to find a "perfect" controller. The X-Box controllers are close (really close), but each one still manages to mess up something. Which is really a shame, because I like both of them a lot.

I don't like the four main face buttons on the original controller. The buttons feel stiff, and it feels like the face has been stretched vertically too much. Also, I dislike the digital pad. The face buttons and digital pad on the Controller S are near-perfect, but they moved the White, Black, Back, and Start buttons to odd areas on the controller.

I'm still waiting for a third-party controller that merges the good of both first-party controllers. That, and it makes the White & Black buttons the same size as the other buttons.

Freeter
3393th Post

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 14:36post reply

-SNES pad
-regular PS pad(I hate the analog)
-Saturn pad

Bad Anton!

Time Mage
963th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 14:49post reply

Best overall, the N64 controller. It could handle fighters with the D-Pad (the Nintendo D-pads are the best IMO) and the six front buttons (even when the c buttons where smaller, they were useful enough), and other games were handled perfectly with the analog stick. It only lacked some analog triggers for racing games and similar uses.

The best controller for fighting games has to be the Saturn one... this is pretty much undisputed.

And the best one for nearly everything other than fighting games has to be the GC one. Bad, very bad for fighting games, that's it's only (and big) drawback.

Just a Person
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 15:01post reply

Either the SNES or the PSX/PS2 controller . You know,GameCube's controller is very comfortable to the hands,but for some games it is a little confusing ...

I can be any person in the world...Maybe I'm this person right in front of you...or not!

Rolling Start
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 15:02post reply

#1: SNES pad. Perfect feel, perfect amount of buttons. And really, when it comes down to it, how many of you find yourselves wishing you could use the D-Pad instead of an analog stick for most new games?

#2: N64 three-pronged wonder. Used to hate it, but now, going back to it feels sos good! For ANY 3d game, the 64 pad cannot be touched. If only Nintendo went the sony route and made it that the GC controller was just the 64 one...

Very last:

Gamecube Controller. I hate to harp on the GC so bad, but i just hate the controller SO MUCH! I used to be one of its biggest advocates, but now i just can't take it! The C-Stick is in a useless position for most games, cause you really can't have your hand perfectly over the buttons and use the C-Stick at the same time, which makes view-changing in SMS, THPS3, and SW:RL basically useless, cause you have to stop to change views. The buttons are all relatively flimsy, and my B-Button suffers from the spring-reduction "glitch" about once every 2-3 play sessions. Easily fixed, but still! And i don't pound the buttons either. The Z-Button is utterly useless, should have been left off all together. The main analog stick is, admittedly, sturdier than the 64 one, however it's too small, and over-responsive. The d-pad, well we all know about the d-pad. Awkward position, and virtually impossible to get precision control with it (ie: in Tony Hawk's, i get the move i want maybe 75% of the time, when it should really be 100%. I mean, it's digital for chrissakes!) The analog L/R buttons were a good idea, however they have been sorely underutilized. What's worse, most games require you to click the button all the way down for an in-game action, which is causing the analog precision of my R-Button to be greatly reduced. All in all, a bunch of great ideas wasted on a poorly shaped/constructed controller.

C'MON SUCKA!

kikkoken
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 16:08post reply

Why not make this thread into a poll rather?

Doomsday wa watashi no suki na ybi desu.

LenaShock
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 17:49post reply

1 - SNES
2 - Dual Shock 1/2

about Gamecube Controller... IT IS made for Zelda...

sabo10
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 18:33post reply

The SNES pad blows.

Dual Shock 2 all the way.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/WallStreet/7482 /

Radish
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 19:35post reply

Well, remember the Gamecube controller is going to become industry standard in a few years....

Hagen de Merak
177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 19:46post reply

quote:
Well, remember the Gamecube controller is going to become industry standard in a few years....

according to who? you?

RugalBernstein
2750th Post

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 19:56post reply

I'd have to agree, the SNES controller ( although I like the Super Famicom version a little bit better.. colourful buttons. ^_^ )

Radish
481th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 20:22post reply

quote:

according to who? you?

Shigeru Miyamoto said that. Not that I agree with him; I think the Gamecube controller is one of the worst ever designed.

Freeter
3395th Post

"Re(5):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 21:29post reply

quote:
Shigeru Miyamoto said that. Not that I agree with him; I think the Gamecube controller is one of the worst ever designed.

"industry standard"....

I don't see mock-N64 controllers for PCs. And yes, GC controller is one of the most poorly designed controllers ever. Almost makes you wish the Power Glove made a comeback.

Bad Anton!

RugalBernstein
2753th Post

"Re(6):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 21:38post reply

quote:
you wish the Power Glove made a comeback.

Ha ha ha ha ha.. has anybody ever actually tried one of these out?

Hagen de Merak
178th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 21:52post reply

quote:

according to who? you?

thank god you dont agree with him.

exodus
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 22:31post reply

J-saturn controller and the Jaguar controller! indeed!

Satoshi_Miwa
1596th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 2 Nov 22:57post reply

1- SNES pad - A Great 6 button pad that was usefull for every game on the system. Responsive, fits the hand very well, and sturdy as hell.

2- PSX Dual Shock - The best of the PSX pads, which is why Sony hasn't touched the base design in years. The key here is that the Dual Shock is heavier and more sturdy than the first round of PSX pads, giving the pad a much better feel in the hands . The Analog sticks are also in a nice postion, making for easy 3-D pads. The only drawback on the Pad? the D-pad itself is not as responsive as the SNES one (You can really feel it in fight games when you try to do a full circle rotate move).

3 - Genesis 6 Button Pad - Good D rotate, nice feel in the hands, and 6 buttons on the face. Not as good as the SNES pad, but still a fun pad to use...

iggy
912th Post

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 02:45post reply

quote:

...no....nobody talked about the DC stick?
[SHOCKED]
[takes his DC stick in his arms] don't worry, my little baby, you know I will always love you... don't listen to them, they are justevil non-Bambi-loving people...

無知にはムチを!

shinsei19
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 04:44post reply

Hmmm hmmm...

best 1st party controllers:
1 - Saturn (w00t)
2 - PS2 Dual Shock (close second)

best 3rd party controllers:
1 - MAS arcade stick (for fighters, of course ^_-)
2 - er...haven't used much...the Dreamcast Agetec, I suppose.

since I predominantly play fighters and rpgs, I guess the MAS wins *laugh*

Radish
485th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 07:31post reply

quote:

[SHOCKED]
[takes his DC stick in his arms] don't worry, my little baby, you know I will always love you... don't listen to them, they are justevil non-Bambi-loving people...

I too love my (harder to buy than it should have been to standard Sega incompetent business practice) Agetec Dreamcast Arcade stick. It's just not as useful all around as the Dual Shock and while well made, just a standard arcade stick. Plus I think it should have had a 'taunt' button than you could map lp and start to.

the REAL master
85th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 08:51post reply

quote:
J-saturn controller and the Jaguar controller! indeed!

1.snes
2.neo geo CD
3.sega saturn
4.PS is alright
N64 & GC is GARBAGE
jaguar is cool....(if you need yo make a phone call lol)

kaepora
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 08:52post reply

Forgot about the N64 controller. That one was great too. Best D-pad I've ever used, and I prefer the trigger-like Z to the standard L shoulder buttons anyday.

quote:
[SHOCKED]

I preferred the Saturn controller that came with NiGHTS (can't remember the proper name of it...) to the Dreamcast one. Feature/feel-wise, at least. It didn't have the colored buttons or VMU slots. (A shame the Saturn --> DC converter I have doesn't work with it.)

Bootation
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 09:02:post reply

quote:
Forgot about the N64 controller. That one was great too. Best D-pad I've ever used, and I prefer the trigger-like Z to the standard L shoulder buttons anyday.

I preferred the Saturn controller that came with NiGHTS (can't remember the proper name of it...) to the Dreamcast one. Feature/feel-wise, at least. It didn't have the colored buttons or VMU slots. (A shame the Saturn --> DC converter I have doesn't work with it.)

i dont like the dual shock controller. Nor do i like the Xbox controller.

Standard Dc pad grows on me....

Gamecube controller is sort of gimmicky if u ask me.

The n64 controller cold have been good for capcom fighters....

I held the original nes pad in my hand the other day and it was the perfect size.

Now controllers are all heavy and huge and shit. I like a little lightweight controller.

It used to feel big when i was a little kid. But now that i am a dirty old man (23).

It feels remarkably lightweight and spiffy.

Is this the end of Zombie Shakespeare?

[this message was edited by Bootation on Sun 3 Nov 09:23]

OmegaDog
261th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 10:48post reply

I suppose I should mention that I liked the N64 controller also, basically because it allowed me to a game like Sin and Punishment with my left hand on the digital pad and the right hand on the analogue stick. I really never got used to moving the character left and right with my right hand on a controller. And, at times when I'm playing Bangai-O on the Dreamcast, I'm thinking that the N64 controller would be a lot more appropriate to the game for me -- I really can't seem to use a disconnected button set-up as a control pad, so I just have my entire right hand over the controller to access the analogue stick; I hit R/C with my pinky.

quote:

I really really like the analogue function of the Saturn 3D controller -- wonderfully responsive, and the orb design was one that would've been wonderful if it incorporated into future controller designs. As of now, it stands as my favorite analogue controller.

Unforunately, the Saturn 3D Controller's D-Pad was pretty uncomfortable, especially when compared to the original Saturn D-Pads. And, it's pretty hard to execute fighting game moves with it... so I always switch back to the original controllers. Agreed --well, it doesn't really seem to be disputed -- the regular Saturn pads are the best regular pads for fighting games...

5 Stage All Cleared! VICTOLY! | NEXT STAGE IS 6 |

Fuchikoma
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 11:50post reply

quote:

I don't see mock-N64 controllers for PCs. And yes, GC controller is one of the most poorly designed controllers ever. Almost makes you wish the Power Glove made a comeback.

You don't need a mock controller, just get an adaptoid... it lets you use any n64 controller in your usb port and they only cost like 10 bucks.

If you mis the Power Glove, you should try the arcade game Mocap Boxing. Instead of one glove you get to use your whole body.

Samus reborn for a new generation

RugalBernstein
2759th Post

"Re(7):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 11:53post reply

quote:

If you mis the Power Glove, you should try the arcade game Mocap Boxing. Instead of one glove you get to use your whole body.

Ha ha ha.. anybody remember " Sonic Blast Man " ? People used to hurl themselves on that thing, too...

Hungrywolf
1688th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 12:19post reply

quote:
#1: SNES pad. Perfect feel, perfect amount of buttons. And really, when it comes down to it, how many of you find yourselves wishing you could use the D-Pad instead of an analog stick for most new games?

#2: N64 three-pronged wonder. Used to hate it, but now, going back to it feels sos good! For ANY 3d game, the 64 pad cannot be touched. If only Nintendo went the sony route and made it that the GC controller was just the 64 one...

Very last:

Gamecube Controller. I hate to harp on the GC so bad, but i just hate the controller SO MUCH! I used to be one of its biggest advocates, but now i just can't take it! The C-Stick is in a useless position for most games, cause you really can't have your hand perfectly over the buttons and use the C-Stick at the same time, which makes view-changing in SMS, THPS3, and SW:RL basically useless, cause you have to stop to change views. The buttons are all relatively flimsy, and my B-Button suffers from the spring-reduction "glitch" about once every 2-3 play sessions. Easily fixed, but still! And i don't pound the buttons either. The Z-Button is utterly useless, should have been left off all together. The main analog stick is, admittedly, sturdier than the 64 one, however it's too small, and over-responsive. The d-pad, well we all know about the d-pad. Awkward position, and virtually impossible to get precision control with it (ie: in Tony Hawk's, i get the move i want maybe 75% of the time, when it should really be 100%. I mean, it's digital for chrissakes!) The analog L/R buttons were a good idea, however they have been sorely underutilized. What's worse, most games require you to click the button all the way down for an in-game action, which is causing the analog precision of my R-Button to be greatly reduced. All in all, a bunch of great ideas wasted on a poorly shaped/constructed controller.

I wouldn't consider the NES pad one of the best, but I like all the other Nintendo controllers (including the GCN one, though it does need a larger D pad. I love it though other than that. I love my wavebird to death! It's so light and perfect...) and the DC controller is wonderful, it was great for all the fighters I got for my DC. The PSX controllers have been good too. I don't really like the american X-box 1st party controller though, but it's ok, i can deal with it, just wish it was a little smaller.

"Someday we'll find it the rainbow connection..." -Kermit The Muppet Movie
Hungry Like the Wolf

Freeter
3396th Post

"Re(4):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sun 3 Nov 12:25post reply

quote:
I don't really like the american X-box 1st party controller though, but it's ok, i can deal with it, just wish it was a little smaller.

Two words: S Controller.

Bad Anton!

Sycle
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Mon 4 Nov 18:42post reply

I loved the Megadrive(/Genesis) 6 button controller, the d-pad was awesome. Both the regular and 3D Saturn pads were pretty good too. (loved the orb on the 3D pad, shame they didn't use it on the Dreamcast.. and what was with the Nintendo style plus shaped d pad? Shame Sega shame)

Pads aside, I'd have to say the DC stick.

K'9999
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Tue 5 Nov 05:02post reply

My top 5 is:

5- DC pad
4- NGC pad
3- Snes pad
2- Saturn pad
1- Neo geo stick (it rocks!);)

Toxico
2513th Post

"Re(7):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Tue 5 Nov 05:12post reply

quote:

One of my friends owned one of those things... I never understood what was the whole point of it...

All of the controlers I have tested suck ass big time, but you can always get 100% acurracy with practice.

pinkdino
132th Post

Regular Customer

"SIZE MATTERS!!!" , posted Fri 8 Nov 06:57post reply

For 2D fighting games Saturn pad(jp perferable).
For 3D fighting games Saturn pad.
For action and or racing games. Saturn Nights pad.

I don't know what's all the talk about the crappy PS pads. They suck! The Saturn pad's design alows for hrs of game play without giving you blisters. Also when it comes to game pads SIZE MATTERS!! I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have small japanese hands. The damn PS controllers give me cramps just trying to hold on to it. I can understand if people with like kiddy hands can fit their hands onto the PS pads, but I've got man size hands, don't give me a pad that insults them.

D!

iggy
928th Post

"Re(1):SIZE MATTERS!!!" , posted Fri 8 Nov 08:40post reply

OF COURSE SIZE DOES MATTER!!!!!
...........what? oh, controller size...

無知にはムチを!

Radish
509th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SIZE MATTERS!!!" , posted Fri 8 Nov 09:14post reply

quote:
For 2D fighting games Saturn pad(jp perferable).
For 3D fighting games Saturn pad.
For action and or racing games. Saturn Nights pad.

I don't know what's all the talk about the crappy PS pads. They suck! The Saturn pad's design alows for hrs of game play without giving you blisters. Also when it comes to game pads SIZE MATTERS!! I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have small japanese hands. The damn PS controllers give me cramps just trying to hold on to it. I can understand if people with like kiddy hands can fit their hands onto the PS pads, but I've got man size hands, don't give me a pad that insults them.

I have slightly larger than average hands and my room-mate has huge monkey paws and neither of us find the PS controller to be small at all. The design is effective since generally no matter what your hand size is, you can generally position it in a way so that it is comfortable.

Burning Kyo
1185th Post

"Re(2):SIZE MATTERS!!!" , posted Fri 8 Nov 09:34post reply

quote:

LL

Crazy Kouzu Basketball Club

oyashiroforever
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):SIZE MATTERS!!!" , posted Fri 8 Nov 11:00post reply

quote:

Size definitely matters... the smaller, the better. I'm 6'3" and have very large hands, but that doesn't make modern controllers any less cumbersome or unforgiving, especially for 2D fighting games. CvS2/MvC2 on Xbox or Gamecube? No thanks.

Best controllers ever:

5) SNES AsciiPad: not sure how I ever lived w/o it <sigh>

4) NES Dogbone controller: the old controllers were blisterrific... 2nd gen dogbone controllers were like mini-SNES pads

3) Gamecube Wavebird: not a big fan of the GC controller design, but something must be said for a wireless that works this well... hopefully the wave of the future (pun not intended)

2) PS1/PS2 1st party: For anything other than 2D fighting games, they're a dream. Not ridiculously oversized, great button layout, logical next step in evolution after...

1) Jap. Saturn pad: Sheer, unadulterated bliss. 6 face buttons (lined up, no less! <gasp>), comfortable D-pad that prevents thumb stress. Simple, lightweight... a gift from the almighty himself. I've bought a converter that allows me to use it on my PS1/2 and another one for the DC. If they ever make one to convert it to any other system, I'll buy that too.

Dead Last: US Xbox controller: all weight jokes aside, this controller looks like it was designed specifically for Halo and MS just said "fuck you" to everyone else making games. Buttons seem to be randomly placed, shaped, and sized. Obnoxious oversized logo is totally unnecessary. Big and ugly, much like the machine itself. Damn you, Halo!!! :P

"I haven't slept for 10 days because that would be too long."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

OYashiroForever
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Fri 8 Nov 11:12post reply

quote:

One of my friends owned one of those things... I never understood what was the whole point of it...

All of the controlers I have tested suck ass big time, but you can always get 100% acurracy with practice.

It was a total worthless piece of shit... However, a friend of mine reprogrammed it to work as a computer mouse for a high school project many years ago. It made for a shitty mouse, but it was far more entertaining than any of the "games" that used it on the NES.

"I haven't slept for 10 days because that would be too long."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Gen
905th Post

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Fri 8 Nov 14:09post reply

quote:

Best controllers:

Several Atari age controllers

After them, best stick:
Original NeoGeo stick.

best pad:
Genesis pad and it's offspring, 6 button, analogue, Saturn.

worst controllers:
NES Pad
Playstation Craptroller
Dreamcast Brick

Rid Hershel
3948th Post

"Re(2):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Fri 8 Nov 14:32post reply

I have large and slim fingers (I would be a great pianist of thief, mind you), hardly a small japanese hand, and I never felt the PS pad uncomfortable at all. I found the two analogs to be in the exact position they need. The only bad point about the PS pad, I don't like the L3 and R3 buttons at all, but almost no game uses them anyway.

coinop duck
36th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Best Console Controllers Of All time?" , posted Sat 9 Nov 00:23post reply

The Japanese SS controller and the DC controller are my favorites.

The american XBox controller is very comfortable to me, but I would change the d-pad.