[an error occurred while processing this directive] Interesting read about licenced fansubbing - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Holiday
1288th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Interesting read about licenced fansubbing" , posted Thu 1 Aug 02:55post reply

http://www.anime.isamazing.com/

Replies:

Gen
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Interesting read about licenced fansubb" , posted Thu 1 Aug 04:07:post reply

quote:
http://www.anime.isamazing.com/

I believe it's all illegal because the published works are protected by international copyright laws. The only possibilty of it being not illegal is if the original is so old that the term of the copy right has ended and also has not been renewed. Otherwise the owner's permission would be required.

[this message was edited by Gen on Thu 1 Aug 04:08]

Zepy
230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Interesting read about licenced fansubb" , posted Thu 1 Aug 09:26post reply

Yep, its all illegal, any type of speaking otherwise is self-denial!

If I'm not wrong, its not just fansubbing, but any type of unauthorized modifications to the original work can be breaking some laws already.

Erm?

Jazzie D
1344th Post

"Fansubbing and me" , posted Thu 1 Aug 12:38:post reply

For the most part, yes it is illegal. However, there is something I have to say about fansubbing. So, sit down, grab a cup of joe (or whatever type of drink you like) and listen up.

There is no question fansubbing is illegal. I even have to accept the fact. Still, there is so much I have to say.

Fansubbing is no question, one of the main methods, if not, the main method on how some of us get anime. If it wasn't for fansubbing, many anime fans including myself would never get the chance to see Kodocha. Kodocha will never be licensed. It's just impossible. Why? I want to state two main reasons.

- The jokes are too hard to translate.

- It is difficult to cope up with Sana-chan's yakking.

See? Azumanga is another anime that will never be licensed. The humor lies within the seiyuu and dialogue.

So, what now? I know about the legal issues, but fansubbing is indeed well-respected. Ya know?

In terms of fansubbing licensed anime, yeah, it's illegal. On the other side, fansubbers need to finish their projects. There are cases in which I can't blame them. What if there's a person that never saw the original Pocket Monsters? You'll never see that in America.

Okay. That's my case. Um, yeah.

[this message was edited by Jazzie D on Thu 1 Aug 13:48]

VManOfMana
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Fansubbing and me" , posted Thu 1 Aug 16:59post reply

Well, my position is pretty simple:

It's all about the user.

Fansubs can be good or bad depending on the people who use them. If people uses fansubs to broaden their anime experience, learn new genres and titles, and decide on what series to spend next, the effect is positive. I'll put you a simple example: me and a friend watch fansubs constantly, but my friend spends at least $300 per month on anime goods, most of them in products and merchandize related to new series we get to know to fanubs. In my case, I don't spend as much as he does (salary diferences), but I also have my monthly spending (I know I have spent at least $800 in Love Hina, even though all I have seen of it is fansubbed). I don't support the US anime industry by buying their releases since I don't agree with their overall way of working, but I support the industry by buying import goods.

If, on the other hand, fansubs are used as a cheap alternative to a commercial release, or worse, the person "likes" anime just because he/she can get it for cheap or free via fansubs (and rippings of commercial releases), then the effect is negative. In this case the person is just leeching on the market maintained by others, without contributing anything.

The attitude of the person also has a lot to do, too.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tamerai ba makeyo!"

Satoshi Miwa
1318th Post

"Modern Fansubbing and the anime industry..." , posted Thu 1 Aug 18:12post reply

A few points...

1- There really is no unlicenceable title anymore, unless it's really old and really bad. The Fancy Lala DVD I have sitting on my Entertainment center is a tribute to that, as I fully expected that series to never come over. If it's good then expect it to come over (And trust me, Azumanga will get licensed. It's hard to ignore the fandom it has...).

2- The advent of Digisubbing has really changed how fansubs are being distrbuted and the quality of the sub. Used to be tape subs were of decent quality, and shown at Anime clubs. Now with most titles easily leechable and of high quality the subbing scene is more of a concern as it eats into sales...

3- Alot of digi-subber ignore alot of old school subbing rules. Like the fact they won't sub licensed titles. Sure some still follow them, but the mess of RahXephon and Chobits subs shows alot of groups just don't care about those rules....

4- Expect the companies tot ake a bigger roll in cracking down on fansubs very soon. Expect it to be the big issue in the next year, and expect the battle to be messy. Think Jailed 2 if you can remember back to that mess, except the industry will be better ready to handle the backlash and be better able to explain it's position

5- And whatever happens, don't expect Digi-subbing to die. Just too wide spred for it to be killed out. I would like to see them move away from the new series though and hit the really old stuff (Pierrot Magical girl series, really old Cutey Honey, etc...)

6- While fansubs used to be the vechile to drive intrest in new and obscure titles, the fact is it's not really needed anymore. The market is diverse enough to do this on it's own, especially due to the fanbase that came into the scene thanks to Sailor Moon.

7- And I'm glad Artic is out of the fansubbing business...*Shudders from remebering the bad KOR subs*

8- One sure fire way to kill fence sitting fansub getters and turn them into buyers, extras. See excel Saga 1, which is so full of extras you just have to get it...

Gojira
532th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Interesting read about licenced fansubb" , posted Fri 2 Aug 13:50:post reply

I have nothing to say about fansubs since I've never watched them, but I think it's kind of funny the way that AD Vision seems to be trying to redefine the word. Go here if you're curious.

GSPX progress: 24% done

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 2 Aug 13:51]

Magus Darkstar
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Modern Fansubbing and the anime industr" , posted Sat 3 Aug 01:37post reply

quote:
A few points...

1- There really is no unlicenceable title anymore

I felt the same way after someone picked up Tenshi ni Narumon, Chibi Ah! My Goddess, Sugar, and Marmalade Boy

| Final Fantasy Alpha Forums | Darkstar Okonomiyaki |