[an error occurred while processing this directive] Illegal to tape TV shows? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Jazzie D
1288th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 02:17post reply

The article

Ittai nani ga?

Replies:

Gojira
494th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 03:21post reply

quote:
The article

Ittai nani ga?

Whoopee legislators. Is there any way at all to do this that wouldn't end up making ppl feel like their basic freedoms were comprimised? And is there any way to get some kind of profit out of the sucking black hole of finance that is the internet?

How about a nice Hawaiian BEATDOWN?!!

Shin ATproof
759th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 04:16post reply

HA! "Land of the free" indeed...

Juke Joint Jezebel
629th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Still Green" , posted Sun 14 Jul 07:23post reply

taken from that site ...
"If you were to take today's episode of 'E.R.' and tape it and give it to your mother, it would be copyright infringement under this bill," said Jessica Litman, a professor at Wayne State University who specializes in copyright law.

hehe, that's a bitch. all my future Christmas/birthday/mother's day/father's day gift plans will go to hell

but hm, it doesn't seem like recording things off of television is much of a threat. i don't see why they would want to pass this bill, other than to annoy us. but gah, they've passed some zany things over the years so i dunno -_-

Angry Swordsman: come to the back of the gulch
Raven7186: your gay!

TheBeast
603th Post

"BAH!" , posted Sun 14 Jul 07:28post reply

quote:
taken from that site ...
"If you were to take today's episode of 'E.R.' and tape it and give it to your mother, it would be copyright infringement under this bill," said Jessica Litman, a professor at Wayne State University who specializes in copyright law.

hehe, that's a bitch. all my future Christmas/birthday/mother's day/father's day gift plans will go to hell

but hm, it doesn't seem like recording things off of television is much of a threat. i don't see why they would want to pass this bill, other than to annoy us. but gah, they've passed some zany things over the years so i dunno -_-

Agree. Thats so lame. I can't believe someone would actually think of this to pass as a bill. Before you know it, there will be no libraries, no video rental shops, no....INTERNET! All these share information without the knowledge of the origin too.

Crap. We might as well return back to stone age if bills like this actually pass.

Toxico
2117th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Jazzie?????" , posted Sun 14 Jul 08:10post reply

quote:
The article

Ittai nani ga?

Land of oportunity... my ass. I wonder of there is even a point for those rants. Ha, this is nothing more than Harrasment, I tell ya'.

Jazzie... what's the meaning of this Ittai nani ga , it is a knowledge I crave for.

Jazzie D
1289th Post

"Re(1):Jazzie?????" , posted Sun 14 Jul 09:05post reply

quote:
The article

Ittai nani ga?

Land of oportunity... my ass. I wonder of there is even a point for those rants. Ha, this is nothing more than Harrasment, I tell ya'.

Jazzie... what's the meaning of this Ittai nani ga , it is a knowledge I crave for.

Yeah! I know!

"Ittai nani ga?" means "What the hell?/What on earth?"

Freeter
2890th Post

"?????" , posted Sun 14 Jul 10:58post reply

Illegal to tape TV shows? Bull! They might as well ban VCRs and Tivos then!

What the hell are they thinking...

ninjabastard
608th Post

"Re(1):?????" , posted Sun 14 Jul 16:24:post reply

quote:
Illegal to tape TV shows? Bull! They might as well ban VCRs and Tivos then!

What the hell are they thinking...

Money, money, money... oh and taxes! Goddamnit, this pisses me off. When are people going to learn to use new technology instead of curtailing it. This is the same bullshit that took place when the radio came out. Same with the VCR("fair use" comes from the Sony vs. MPAA case). Man, I hate the RIAA and MPAA. And isn't Sony part of both? Their stance on piratcy is so wishy washy. One division makes music and bithches. One division makes Mp3 players and CD-burners. And one advertises on Kaaza.

[this message was edited by ninjabastard on Sun 14 Jul 16:35]

talbaineric
3550th Post

"Re(3):Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 16:58post reply

quote:
HA! "Land of the free" indeed...

Heh,that's how I feel sometimes.

Radish
87th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 18:44post reply

These bills are almost worth it for the hilariously insane/out-of-touch quotes you can get from these entertainment executives. Some higher up at TBS was interviewed on his stance on TIVO. The point he wanted to get across was that if you don't sit through the commercials (with TIVO or just conventionally muting the TV) you were STEALING the show. About a year ago it was popular to call Libraries 'Dens of Thieves.'

These idiots can't make up their minds. On one hand they want us to feel sorry for them since they're suffering SO hard. Then on the other they get Senators that represent the people (and not the high paying interest groups) to call the American public criminals. It doesn't work both ways.

Somewhere along the line these guys forgot that they’re broadcasting over public airwaves that are owned by everyone. If they could the RIAA would copyright notes b sharp through g flat and charge a royalty to every artist that had to play them.

Satoshi Miwa
1245th Post

"Re(1):Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 19:59post reply

Even if it does pass it's going to be next to impossible to enforce, and i don't see the police wanting to fill jails with John and Jane Doe video taper. If they're foolish enough to pass it they'll quickly see iut's unenforceable and ignore it (or it won't stand up in the supreme court).

Besides, who wants to keep VHS copies around forever..Better to wait for the DVD version...:)

Gojira
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Illegal to tape TV shows?" , posted Sun 14 Jul 20:31post reply

That's just it. There is no way for the industry to ask for any kind of leeway, be it money, legalities or anything because everyone thinks entertainment is free. You want free entertainment? Go to the street and throw a ball around. Dig holes. Make up poetry. That's free entertainment that nobody had to pay for. You wanna watch TV that costs millions of dollars to produce? Don't whine.

Mitsurugi
2th Post

New Customer

"Uh huh." , posted Sun 14 Jul 20:42:post reply

Soon it'll be illegal to wipe your ass with someone else's roll of toilet paper.

Know your faults. For they are many.

[this message was edited by Mitsurugi on Sun 14 Jul 20:47]

Gojira
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Uh huh." , posted Sun 14 Jul 20:46post reply

quote:
Soon it'll be illegal to wipe your ass with someone elses roll of toilet paper.

When you can download toilet paper over the internet, then yes it will.

shinsei19
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"DMCA, RIAA, MPAA...blerg..." , posted Sun 14 Jul 21:51post reply

Hmmm actually there have been laws about taping shows off of the tv being illegal for a long time now...which is hilarious that VCR companies always include that trusty 'record' button. Makes you wonder...

If this actually gets passed (which I highly doubt as blatantly retarded bills tend ot just sit in House or Senate until session expires heh...but..er, *knocks on wood*) it'll probably fall under that jurisdiction of chasing after the online warez/file-share servers, not actually taking down ma or pa for recording Alias and playing it later for you. I think they included the clause of taping stuff at home and distributing it so ppl getting prosecuted can't say "nuh-uh! look, you let -them- record stuff and disperse stuff"...DMCA bad...

I don't think they can actually pull it off in its current form for there's too many infringements on fair use.

Anyways it's primarily geared towards supporting the RIAA and MPAA, IIRC....and while strong and powerful entities that are seething with evil and malice...we all support them...don't tell me you don't go watch movies in the theatres (Spiderman, LOTR), buy Sony TVs, buy overpriced CDs It's sick how much power they could possibly abuse... I think just watching it unfold and what not is interesting, though..

[/soapbox-ishness] ciao

Zyzyfer
491th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):DMCA, RIAA, MPAA...blerg..." , posted Mon 15 Jul 00:03post reply

blah, it is all dependent on what you plan to do with the copies. it's always been illegal to tape a show to give your friend, and it's the same idea as burning a cd to give someone. you pay for cable, and as long as you keep the use to yourself, that's fine and dandy.

but once you go distributing it, then it does step into the realm of illegal. it's been that way for years now, ever since i could remember being able to read the copyright laws at the beginning of a given videotape.

the only difference now is that somebody's taking action. yea, it's silly, but at the same time, you are breaking a law, unless you keep that movie to yourself.

the only loophole i could see is if your friends had already paid for a cable bill which carried the channel as well, or had already purchased the movie and wanted a backup copy or something. in that case, it's legal.

"But it has to be three words."
"Three words?"
"Yea..."
"I bang se..."