[an error occurred while processing this directive] Which RPG character... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Iron D
1852th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 13:01post reply

...do you think made the most dramatic change in any rpg ever made? By this I mean a change in a characters personality, whether it be by becoming wiser, succumbing to the dark side, making sudden realizations, etc., etc.

My first pick would go to Delita Hyral of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I mean, this guy just totally goes nuts. By the end of the game, I was depressed to see that someone who was being used only ended up using others...almost more cruelly than those who were using before.

End of Spoiler

Did that make any sense?

A close runner-up would be Seifer from FF8.

After seeing his annoyingly cocky attitude and serious demeanor, it literally scared me to see him laughing and having fun at the end of the game.

End of Spoiler

What are your picks?

Replies:

Iron D
1853th Post

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 13:02post reply

Oh and btw, hi everyone! It's good to be back!

pointystick
755th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 13:05post reply

I'd say Billy Lee Black in Xenogears.

He went from being raised by the religious authorities and being trained to act only in their service to opposing them entirely, and he did it gradually over the course of the game.

End of Spoiler

I wish I could say Miluda from FFT, but our party had to go and kill her before we could compromise. That part of FFT bothers me to this day.

Radish
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 13:06:post reply

I would have to say Baofu from Persona:EP. He starts out as an unfeeling misanthrope with a mysterious past, but eventually grows to become more amicable and open with his weaknesses.

I agree that Delita was a total tool. I think he has to be my least favorite RPG character ever.

Having to kill Miluda was one of the worst parts of FFT. I think if that game was more like TO you'd be given an option not to kill her.

[this message was edited by Radish on Thu 11 Jul 13:08]

Iron D
1855th Post

"Re(2):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 13:56post reply

quote:
Having to kill Miluda was one of the worst parts of FFT. I think if that game was more like TO you'd be given an option not to kill her.

There were plenty of moments like that in FFT. Besides unfortunately having to kill Miluda, there was also the battle on Grog Hill. Remember the guys who were deserting the military? I hated having to kill them. "This will be our last battle!" the leader says. He was right, but not in the way he expected.

Besides, if Miluda hadn't died, the story would have been different in many ways, (Wiegraf probably wouldn't have joined the Temple Knights, for example)

End of Spoiler

And then there was the fact that you actually had to fight and kill Chocobos. Every time I hit a chocobo it's like a dagger in my heart!

pointystick
760th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 14:12post reply

quote:
And then there was the fact that you actually had to fight and kill Chocobos. Every time I hit a chocobo it's like a dagger in my heart!

The high level chocobos are friggin' dangerous, man! If you let your warm fuzzy feelings for them get in the way, they will wipe out your entire party!

Rid Hershel
3028th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 15:10post reply

Mary Argent/Agent from Tales of Destiny has an interesting personality change when she rememebers.

Iron D
1858th Post

"Re(4):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 15:11post reply

quote:
The high level chocobos are friggin' dangerous, man! If you let your warm fuzzy feelings for them get in the way, they will wipe out your entire party!

A fact I know all too well.

BLAST YOU CHOCO METEOR!!! BLAST YOU TO HELL!!!

Rid Hershel
3029th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 15:17post reply

Oh, and Luna from Lunar has an interesting change too ^^

But I can't spoil that.

Dominus
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 17:45post reply

Magus from Chrono Trigger - who'd have thought, when first playing the game, that he would join you? Also, he changed a lot from when he was a kid...

I agree with you about Delita, and think it's even more depressing that according to the "real history" of the game, he became a renowned and respected king. (BTW, I don't consider that a spoiler - it's in the instruction book)

What about Leon Silverburg from the Suikoden series? I never really understood what he was up to...

The Slithery-Dee came out of the sea.
He ate all the others
but he didn't eat me.

Hungrywolf
1179th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 22:51post reply

quote:
Oh, and Luna from Lunar has an interesting change too ^^

But I can't spoil that.

Geez, I forgot all about Lunar. I need to play it again...I think it was possibly my favorite RPG ever. I also really love Golden Sun....I'd say that Alex makes a big change throughout that game.

From idolizing the former hero to becoming the new hero with that armor and everything.

End of Spoiler

I wish Lunar 2 was about the same people. I still need to get Lunar 2 Complete too.....

Ipurbegia EX
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Thu 11 Jul 23:35post reply

I would have to say Lucia from Lunar 2: Eternal Blue does a really big change personalitywise. Maybe love DOES conquer all.

"MOKORI TIMU STARUTO!!!"

Juke Joint Jezebel
616th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Which RPG character..." , posted Fri 12 Jul 00:35post reply

quote:
There were plenty of moments like that in FFT. Besides unfortunately having to kill Miluda, there was also the battle on Grog Hill. Remember the guys who were deserting the military? I hated having to kill them. "This will be our last battle!" the leader says. He was right, but not in the way he expected.

wow, lots of people feel the same way, and i'm glad you all do. so many unnecessary deaths in tactics. it truly is a tragedy. a friend of mine told me that the Saint Seiya series was the same way. but anyways, in fft dozens had lost their lives. if only they weren't so headstrong to their cause. if only you could've talked things out to reveal to them who the real enemy is. it does suck ... having to slaughter a good person because they're avenging a friend or family member, or because they're following orders, etc etc. in a way, i think it's what makes tactics the epic that it is. you think back to the game and you remember everything that everyone's been through, and it makes you think

anyways, i can't really think of any other rpg but tactics anymore, so sticking back to the topic, i'll just answer with Algus. i've never hated a character so much in any game, but i swear to god, i hate Algus with all of my heart

"Haven't noticed they've all swept up in the same flow.
I'm just going against it. That's all......"
-- Delita Hyral

iggy
333th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Which RPG character..." , posted Fri 12 Jul 03:09post reply

Since everyone took a tactic character, I will pic Cachua from Tactic Ogre (or whatever her english name was ; the sister of the hero)

who begins like a stupid inconsistent blonde white priest and can end Queen, or committing suicide right before her "brother".... the suicide scene schocked me when I first saw it, I already had the game finished a couple of times then and really haven't foreseen this possibility in any way.

End of Spoiler