[an error occurred while processing this directive] Tactics Ogre vs. FFT - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Dominus
450th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 01:48post reply

Hello, all! Right now, I'm playing Tactics Ogre for the GBA, and I was wondering which game you all preferred - Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics? I realize this topic is bound to spark controversy, but as long as we all remember the difference between fact and opinion, it should be an interesting discussion!

Personally, I happen to like FFT better, due to the more in-depth system of jobs and abilities. Tactics Ogre is still an excellent game, though - I really like not having to equip the "Item" skill just to use items, and the "Quest" mode kicks ass, as does the fact that you can play in Vs. mode!
I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that I played FFT first, though, and that I use it as the standard to compare all similar games by, for good or for bad.

The Slithery-Dee came out of the sea.
He ate all the others
but he didn't eat me.

Replies:

iggy
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 02:20post reply

I think it's really a matter of opinion, but since I played Tactics Ogre first, I prefer this one a lot. and the GBA version is nice too, even though the original director left for this game.
I don't like FFT because it's a complete rippoff of Tactics Ogre, and everything different in game play is bad : no much people in the team, so you have to throw away characters when new ones arrive, the monsters from FF are stupid, the character design is awfull, and some classes are completly overpowered, wich makethe game at the end even more boring than the begenning.
At least Tactics Ogre had the terrible 100 level tour for your overpowered characters.

And at last, i prefer the scenario of TO, and the secret things to discover (the 4 sisters for example) were much more interesting in this game (hmmm....cloud....)

Juke Joint Jezebel
612th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 03:57post reply

quote:
I think it's really a matter of opinion, but since I played Tactics Ogre first, I prefer this one a lot. and the GBA version is nice too, even though the original director left for this game.
I don't like FFT because it's a complete rippoff of Tactics Ogre, and everything different in game play is bad : no much people in the team, so you have to throw away characters when new ones arrive, the monsters from FF are stupid, the character design is awfull, and some classes are completly overpowered, wich makethe game at the end even more boring than the begenning.
At least Tactics Ogre had the terrible 100 level tour for your overpowered characters.

And at last, i prefer the scenario of TO, and the secret things to discover (the 4 sisters for example) were much more interesting in this game (hmmm....cloud....)

?!
ehhhhhhhhhh?
*calms down and decides not to lunge*

hm, i won't give an opinion since it'll be overbiased. i played fft first and didn't even give tactics ogre a chance, although the few memories i have of it are pretty good. of course, that was years ago and i've matured since then. when i get the chance, i'll play tactics ogre. i'm looking forward to it

Dominus is right. it really is just a matter of opinion

"Uwee hee hee! Don't tease the octopus kids!" -- Ultros

Radish
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 05:02post reply

I played FFT first, but was an Ogre Battle fan since the SNES days. Each game has their individual strengths.

FFT has a much more involved character system. With all the jobs, abilities, and spells each character can learn TO feels kind of emaciated with it's simple classes that basically just provide stat enhancements. The visuals are (as would be expected for a next-gen game) much better although it's impressive what TO did with bitmaped levels.

On the other hand I think TO offers a lot more in the strategy department. With FFT it's very easy to put together a team that can mop up the enemy in a couple of turns. With ten characters per battle, each with more limited abilities you have to be more careful and think who would complement wach other the best. The plot also was much better. It was mostly based on political strife and internal conflicts compared to FFT's poorly translated story about demons with its obscure ending. You can also make decisions, which alter the plot based on law, neutral of chaos alignments. Plus the fact that you have only one class that can use a hard to obtain spell that resurrects people makes you spend more time thinking about what to do as opposed to just sending all your troops on suicide missions.

One thing that really annoys me though are the legions of kids that think Atlus ripped off Square even though Quest developed both games and TO was released first. Ugh.

Rid Hershel
3018th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 05:43post reply

I think I prefer FFT, just had more fun with the jobs system in that one. Surely, it's very easy, but at the time I played I was new to rpg's so that helped me a lot.

Freeter
2875th Post

"Re(5):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 09:39post reply

quote:
I think I prefer FFT, just had more fun with the jobs system in that one. Surely, it's very easy, but at the time I played I was new to rpg's so that helped me a lot.

The incredible score for that game was one of the big reasons I enjoyed that game.

As for FFT being a "ripoff" of TO, it was designed by members of Quest, the very people who made TO in the first place.

Mosquiton
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 11:07:post reply

I almost completely agree with Radish. Right on Radish. If I had to choose though, I'd choose Tactics Ogre.

The GBA TO is also quite good, especially considering it's on a handheld. Amazing really, although things were simplified in some areas it's still highly enjoyable.

About who developed it, the majority of Quest was not involved, but Matsuno (the producer) and a few other people were.

If you guys didn't know, Square now has total rights to the Ogre Battle series and have acquired the entire Quest development team. At least the team is back together again!

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 10 Jul 11:11]

Radish
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 13:08post reply

quote:
The incredible score for that game was one of the big reasons I enjoyed that game.

As for FFT being a "ripoff" of TO, it was designed by members of Quest, the very people who made TO in the first place.

The music is definetely a strong point in both games. The OB Saga's score really suits the setting well.

Time Mage
678th Post

"Re(1):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 16:00post reply

Since I haven't played TO more than 30 minutes, I can't give an opinion, but I think it will be great, and I'll play it whenever I have time to.

Untill then, FFT is the best! ;)

Radish
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Wed 10 Jul 18:19post reply

quote:
Since I haven't played TO more than 30 minutes, I can't give an opinion, but I think it will be great, and I'll play it whenever I have time to.

Untill then, FFT is the best! ;)

TO certainly isn't a game you pick up and play. On my first time through I stopped playing halfway through for a few months. When I came back I had no idea who was doing what in the obscure plot. The Warren report was a necessity and is sadly lacking from the GBA version.

Now that I think about it, the most annoying (and almost fatal) flaw in TO's design is having to train your troops in between battle. FFT did a much better job of making sure that you were generally about the right level instead of leaving you behind. This ties in with the fact that your character's stats (namely intelligence) do not rise as well as your computer opponents. Many times I'd encounter lower leveled wizards and sirens that had much higher magic power making your own magic caster useless.

iggy
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Thu 11 Jul 05:07post reply

quote:
Now that I think about it, the most annoying (and almost fatal) flaw in TO's design is having to train your troops in between battle.

This something I liked in the GB version : when you need a new character (because you discovered a new class, for example, or because it sells a beast you want) you don't have to buy a level 1 crap a levelup it in training, you can buy it directly at your level. The lack of training deceived me in FFT, a weak character arriving late in the game had nearly no chance to get to the other's level.
I don't remember what game he works on (FF12?), but I heard Matsuno wanted to do a new Ogre Battle afterwards, I really look forward for it.

Radish
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Thu 11 Jul 05:38post reply

quote:
Now that I think about it, the most annoying (and almost fatal) flaw in TO's design is having to train your troops in between battle.

This something I liked in the GB version : when you need a new character (because you discovered a new class, for example, or because it sells a beast you want) you don't have to buy a level 1 crap a levelup it in training, you can buy it directly at your level. The lack of training deceived me in FFT, a weak character arriving late in the game had nearly no chance to get to the other's level.
I don't remember what game he works on (FF12?), but I heard Matsuno wanted to do a new Ogre Battle afterwards, I really look forward for it.

I'm very excited over the thought of a Quest game done with the budget of a Square title.

iggy
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Thu 11 Jul 11:37post reply

quote:
I'm very excited over the thought of a Quest game done with the budget of a Square title.

I'm very frighten over the thought of a Quest Game done with the budget of a Square title.
Square used to do great games before they put those budgets in their games, making all these tasteless FF7/8/so on, Saga Frontier, Musashiden....

Juan
2181th Post

"Re(6):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Thu 11 Jul 11:49:post reply

Not COMPUTING.

Regarding ff tactics, it is not impossible to hire a character on later levels and level him/her up, you just have to be very careful and watch his back at all times by healing and reviving. The character will eventually be able to take care of him/herself.

And a Quest game with square's budget is good. More money with the same developing team is good. You just seem not to like Square very much, which is ok, you are entitled to your own twisted opinions.

quote:
making all these tasteless FF7

So tasteless it sold millions of copies.

http://www.buttermonster.com
I am Juan's buttered website.

[this message was edited by Juan on Thu 11 Jul 11:51]

Juke Joint Jezebel
615th Post

"Re(7):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Thu 11 Jul 23:50post reply

quote:
Regarding ff tactics, it is not impossible to hire a character on later levels and level him/her up, you just have to be very careful and watch his back at all times by healing and reviving. The character will eventually be able to take care of him/herself.

agred. when i first received Cloud (lvl 1), it didn't take me long at all to catch up with the rest of the party (somewhere around lvl 60-80). in fft, normal monsters (the ones you fight in random battles) lvl up with you, so the experience a lvl 1 would get for fighting a much higher lvl would also go up

as with everything else, a little persistence and you'll get the job done

"Haven't noticed they've all swept up in the same flow.
I'm just going against it. That's all......"
-- Delita Hyral

iggy
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Tactics Ogre vs. FFT" , posted Fri 12 Jul 02:57post reply

quote:
You just seem not to like Square very much, which is ok, you are entitled to your own twisted opinions.

So tasteless it sold millions of copies.

The croud not always has good taste...
I will always prefer a good Woody Allen to any Spiderman movie, and the box office is not exactly the same... And Bjork sells less than Britney spears...
Or to stay in games, Valkyrie Profile sold far less copy than any FF, and is for me the best game on Playstation. And even on SFC, the Romancing Sa.Ga series was far behind FF6 in terms of copies sold. And I bet you that if Unlimited SaGa is as brilliant as the Romancing series was, it will sell less.
Sometimes the croud loves the same games I love (DQ7 for example), sometimes it doesn't at all. The fact something sells well is completely irrelevent for me. (well, I love Jojo, and Jojo is far, far away behin One Piece, Tennis no ‘jisama and other craps from the Shueisha...)

But I think I'm rather....different from most people. I know it won't mean anything to most people here, but I never look the french first channel, who makes like 50% of audience everyday, and I almost only look the French/German crazy cultural channel, who as an average 2% of audience. So....