[an error occurred while processing this directive] All-Star Game Tie.... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Satoshi Miwa
1239th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Tue 9 Jul 21:38post reply

In yet another black eye for Baseball, tonights All Star game ended in a tie after 11 innings. The decision was made during the 11th inning stretch by Bud Selig, Joe Torre, and Bob Brenly cause they were running out of players and pitchers. But the crowd themselves weren't happy with decision, and chanted "Let them play" during the final half inning.

It is ironic that this decision happened during this baseball season, as Steroids and labor trouble have clouded the whole seasons. An anti-climatic ending like this can only serve to worsen realtions with fans, which have gone down hill since the strike of 94. With a strike/lockout looming it seems like Baseball is perhaps in the darkest waters it has been since the Black Sox scandel of the 1910's...

(And while I understand why they called it, it has happened at the worst possible time for baseball given the situation it is in...)

Replies:

Freeter
2873th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"*yawn*" , posted Tue 9 Jul 21:52post reply

I don't get how people can muster the strength to sit through ELEVEN innings in the late hours of the night...

Jazzie D
1273th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Um..." , posted Wed 10 Jul 03:07post reply

quote:
In yet another black eye for Baseball, tonights All Star game ended in a tie after 11 innings. The decision was made during the 11th inning stretch by Bud Selig, Joe Torre, and Bob Brenly cause they were running out of players and pitchers. But the crowd themselves weren't happy with decision, and chanted "Let them play" during the final half inning.

It is ironic that this decision happened during this baseball season, as Steroids and labor trouble have clouded the whole seasons. An anti-climatic ending like this can only serve to worsen realtions with fans, which have gone down hill since the strike of 94. With a strike/lockout looming it seems like Baseball is perhaps in the darkest waters it has been since the Black Sox scandel of the 1910's...

(And while I understand why they called it, it has happened at the worst possible time for baseball given the situation it is in...)

Weird, but true.

Radish
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Um..." , posted Wed 10 Jul 05:15post reply

Pfft. Baseball is the most boring sport played in this country. I can't believe they're thinking of striking again. If they do hopefully the remaining fans will realize what a bunch of greedy jerks the players union is and stop going to games.

Hungrywolf
1169th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Um..." , posted Wed 10 Jul 08:24post reply

quote:
Pfft. Baseball is the most boring sport played in this country. I can't believe they're thinking of striking again. If they do hopefully the remaining fans will realize what a bunch of greedy jerks the players union is and stop going to games.

The only sport I find boring at all is golf.

Dominus
452th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Wed 10 Jul 09:18post reply

I never understood why baseball is considered our "national pastime," when other sports are far more popular, such as football or basketball. I also happen to agree with you, Radish - it really is incredibly boring for me to watch. It's pretty fun to play, but it is not, in my opinion, designed as a spectator sport.

The Slithery-Dee came out of the sea.
He ate all the others
but he didn't eat me.

Radish
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Wed 10 Jul 13:13post reply

quote:
I never understood why baseball is considered our "national pastime," when other sports are far more popular, such as football or basketball. I also happen to agree with you, Radish - it really is incredibly boring for me to watch. It's pretty fun to play, but it is not, in my opinion, designed as a spectator sport.

I agree. When I get the chance, I love to play baseball but it's such a low intensity sport unless you're a big fan of the one of the teams playing or it goes into extra innings.

TiamatRoar
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Wed 10 Jul 13:23post reply

I find baseball to be incredibly... quiet. Very sleep inducing, in all honesty.

tyrin
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Thu 11 Jul 02:21post reply

baseball=cure for insomnia
all-star game outcome=extremely funny, but still boring

All we want is a headrush. All we want is to get out of our skin for a while.

Shin ATproof
729th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Thu 11 Jul 03:54post reply

Baseball sucks...at least it isn't cricket...that's baseball for retards lol. Still I just find baseball to be overall boring...if there was more contact in the sport(I like full contact sports). I can't believe there is talk about ANOTHER strike! MY GOD they are being payed to play a game! I swear these professional sports players are WAAAAAAAAY to greedy...hell...wish I was payed for entering tournaments. If people payed my ass to have FUN I wouldn't complain at all.

Nifty Lifty
205th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Sun 14 Jul 03:40post reply

Nobody follows Baseball here in England but sometimes a massive group of us used to get together and play it and we had some truly great games. I love the game, even more than cricket. And BTW, cricket's one of the most technical sports out there so how the fuck can it be for retards?

DKW
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):All-Star Game Tie...." , posted Mon 15 Jul 00:19post reply

Re. the draw...

If the game had been called before the 9th inning, as opposed to well after, I'd have a problem.

If the reason wasn't legitimate, I'd have a problem.

If the managers had a real easy time of making the rosters, rather than having to juggle 30 stars...all of which must be used, don't forget...I'd have a problem.

If the reason for the draw was that all the players were making no attempt whatsoever to win, I'd have a problem. (It was 7-7, so I doubt that was the case.)

If I shared the same wild, irrational, foaming-at-the-mouth hatred of draws that most of the sports fans in this country apparently have (and I stress that my sister is a lovely human being and I'd kiss her any day), I'd have a problem.

If the game counted for anything, I'd have a problem.

As it stands, not only don't I have a problem, I firmly believe that anyone who does has no life. Fer chrissake, what part of "exhibition" don't you understand? You saw the best players. You saw a tight game. In the end, both sides were equally good. So let's accept this fact and get on with the rest of the season, okay?

Re. looming strike
I won't go into the gory details; any sports website will suffice for this. One thing that I feel compelled to point out, however, is that the owners are at least as much to blame as the players. Thanks to the antitrust exemption, they don't have to answer to anybody. The person who should be keeping an eye on them, Bud Selig, is an owner himself...how hard do you think he's going to crack down? They rake in all kinds of money from evey revenue source imaginable no matter how badly the team is doing. Wait, it gets better: none of them has any obgliation to make their finances public (well, I suppose the commissioner could do it, but you know good 'ol Bud)...meaning that they can claim anything at all when asked about finances. ("We are so strapped for cash right now! Why, we could only afford to construct 20 luxury boxes, and one of them doesn't even have cable reception!)

I'm not taking sides here; just want you all to know that the one paying those outrageous salaries shares some responsibility as well.

homepage - http://home.hawaii.rr.com/dkwff