[an error occurred while processing this directive] New Genre - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Ishmael
58th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"New Genre" , posted Tue 9 Jul 17:56post reply

With the continuing fascination with online games a new phenomenon may have come upon video games: an expiration date. How long will any one MMORPG or other game that has multi-player online playing as it's focus be able to be played? If you aren't playing the game when it's intially popular you're probably going to be out of luck. A player could pick up Final Fantasy VII today for the first time and still enjoy it as much as when it was released in 1997. Will FFXI still be playable five years from now? Updated games are nothing new [just look at all the fighter sequels out there] but games that demand group play may be the first games that totally overtake their previous incarnations. I'm not really going anywhere with this, it's just that this is a new idea for console games so I'm interested in seeing how this trend plays out with game fans.

Replies:

Toxico
2111th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):New Genre" , posted Tue 9 Jul 18:03post reply

quote:
With the continuing fascination with online games a new phenomenon may have come upon video games: an expiration date. How long will any one MMORPG or other game that has multi-player online playing as it's focus be able to be played? If you aren't playing the game when it's intially popular you're probably going to be out of luck. A player could pick up Final Fantasy VII today for the first time and still enjoy it as much as when it was released in 1997. Will FFXI still be playable five years from now? Updated games are nothing new [just look at all the fighter sequels out there] but games that demand group play may be the first games that totally overtake their previous incarnations. I'm not really going anywhere with this, it's just that this is a new idea for console games so I'm interested in seeing how this trend plays out with game fans.

That is mainly my life story, I happen to enjoy more to see the raw concept on the first games more than the more perfected secuel that fix the problems.

Also another thing that helps is one of the reasons this country will never see on line games: this country telephone lines (also cable connection) are from the 80s or so, no decent data transfer can be done with this (this is almost impossible to play heavy games on line)

Mosquiton
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):New Genre" , posted Wed 10 Jul 11:55:post reply

I think that the phenomenon you're talking about is limited to such a small percentage of games that it can't really be called a trend.

MMORPGs are a special case. The real crux of the genre is being able to interact with other players online. If you wait until the game is no longer popular, then it's your loss. If the game was successful there will likely be a sequel already available you can jump right onto.

These type of games simply aren't meant to go on forever. The game experience is DEFINED by the people who are playing it and the active maintennance they undergo.

But there will always be a similar type of game to play. Thus is life. I can deal with it, and I think most others will be able to as well.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 10 Jul 11:57]

Rid Hershel
3020th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):New Genre" , posted Wed 10 Jul 12:06post reply

Bad thing about that, there won't be a Final Fantasy Collection complete anymore, since XI will be impossible to play in a couple of years, when he servers go down. At least you can play offline in PSO.