[an error occurred while processing this directive] G4 Gaming Channel - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Suichi
55th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Sun 7 Jul 22:11post reply

Anyone seen the new gaming channel that's on Digital Cable? I don't know how widespread it is, but here in the Bay Area of California, the local cable provider has added a bunch of new channels. Including one called G4.

It's on Digital 136 for those of you who have access to it. It's a totally gaming channel devoted to new and old games alike. It's been showing lots and lots of E3 footage recently to showcase the new channel. They have shows about videogame news, videogame history, the newest hottest stuff, and an old school game show called Starcade. I'm currently watching a show called Icons. It's showing the development of EverQuest and how it affected the MMORPG eviroment.

They even have a show about celebrity gamers called Players, and a show about Multiplayer games called Arena hosted by Wil Weaton of Star Trek fame/infamy.

If you can check it out, I'd give it a shot. It's a *very* refreshing change to the average TV garbage and it's nice to see that the cable industry realizes that there's a market for us gamers.

--Suichi

Replies:

exodus
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Mon 8 Jul 06:58post reply

quote:
Anyone seen the new gaming channel that's on Digital Cable? I don't know how widespread it is, but here in the Bay Area of California, the local cable provider has added a bunch of new channels. Including one called G4.

It's on Digital 136 for those of you who have access to it. It's a totally gaming channel devoted to new and old games alike. It's been showing lots and lots of E3 footage recently to showcase the new channel. They have shows about videogame news, videogame history, the newest hottest stuff, and an old school game show called Starcade. I'm currently watching a show called Icons. It's showing the development of EverQuest and how it affected the MMORPG eviroment.

They even have a show about celebrity gamers called Players, and a show about Multiplayer games called Arena hosted by Wil Weaton of Star Trek fame/infamy.

If you can check it out, I'd give it a shot. It's a *very* refreshing change to the average TV garbage and it's nice to see that the cable industry realizes that there's a market for us gamers.

--Suichi

I haven't watched it...what county are you in/what channel is it there? I'm in contra costa.

We of Insert Credit were interviewed by them at E3...but it's probably because of my girlfriend. We got interviewed by 3 different TV news organizations. If not for her I'm sure they'd have passed me right by ;)

It's the riot of your time...

www.insertcredit.com

Hungrywolf
1148th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Mon 8 Jul 07:49post reply

I've read about it and heard about it but we don't get it here right now. I do have digital cable though.

Suichi
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Mon 8 Jul 21:12post reply

I'm in Santa Clara county. South Bay in San Jose with the AT&T Digital Cable service.

Currently it's a really new channel, only been on for about a week now. Hopefully they'll get enough viewers that it continues for sometime. I want to see more of this channel. Especially after seeing the "Sorority Space Invaders" game played by the hosts of Game On. >:)

--Suichi

Ishmael
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Tue 9 Jul 10:15post reply

quote:

--Suichi

Is there enough going on in the world of videogames to flesh out an entire channel devoted to the subject? The idea of reliable video game news on television sounds cool but is the channel doing justice to the subject? Every other video game show I've seen haven't been my sort of thing -mostly a bunch of hyper kids and an even more hyper host jumping up and down- so it makes me wonder if G4 is more of the same or if they are presenting shows aimed at a variety of players.

Suichi
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Tue 9 Jul 23:37post reply

quote:

Is there enough going on in the world of videogames to flesh out an entire channel devoted to the subject? The idea of reliable video game news on television sounds cool but is the channel doing justice to the subject? Every other video game show I've seen haven't been my sort of thing -mostly a bunch of hyper kids and an even more hyper host jumping up and down- so it makes me wonder if G4 is more of the same or if they are presenting shows aimed at a variety of players.

The core demographic for G4 is definately the 18-30something generation. The hosts actually know what they're talking about and the programming is intelligent and fun at the same time. The shows vary from news to slapstick, but as is the case, the presentation of the content needs to be varied for everyone.

I can't really give an opinion to whether or not someone else would like it, as that's a matter of taste. But just watching the commercials, you can tell it's our demo they want. The gamers who are old enough to purchase the games themselves.

--Suichi

Dr Baghead
1224th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):G4 Gaming Channel" , posted Wed 10 Jul 08:42post reply

quote:
The core demographic for G4 is definately the 18-30something generation. The hosts actually know what they're talking about and the programming is intelligent and fun at the same time. The shows vary from news to slapstick, but as is the case, the presentation of the content needs to be varied for everyone.

Well that's good to know, I was afraid it was going to be extremely retarded like "Dave and Matt's Videogame Explosion" were they masterbaitorially praise one system, hate "cool" games to seem "cooler" in a different way, and have the most worseless and unfunny 'comedy' bits even writen...