[an error occurred while processing this directive] CROOKS!!!!!! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Fro Boy11
592th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 11:19post reply

I was taking a college summer school class that finished yesterday and I bought a book that costs $60. The class sucked and I feel like I wasted my time, but I had to raise my GPA up a little bit just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I went to sell my book back and guess how much money I get back. I got back 9 fuckin' dollars for a $60 book. This is a CRIME! I feel that I should have a least gotten $25 back, but NO that bastard behind the counter throws $9 down on the table and expect me to smile like he did me a favor.

What's up with this crap? Who sets the amount of money you get back for books? These people HAVE to know that college is expensive and most students don't have any money (me included) and I spent the last bit of money I had on that class and that damn book. It was over $200 all together. I could have bought a GameCube and WrestleMania X8 for that. I could have pre-ordered KOF 2000 for that. I could have gotten some PS2 games (I don't have any) for that money. Hell, I didn't even need the book for the class, all I did was take notes, but if you show up a week without a book you get dropped from the class. I'm not working for the rest of the summer either so I have to wait for school to start again to get any money.

I think I'm gonna start selling some of my stuff.

I can't stand it.

Replies:

whitesword
924th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 11:28post reply

Well, usually when you sell stuff, the price depends on the demand, and obviously, either that class was so spoony that no one gave a spoon, or there were simply too many used copies of that book available!

You could try selling it somewhere else!

Burn baby! Burn!
The Burning Fist...returns!

Freeter
2858th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 11:44post reply

quote:
I was taking a college summer school class that finished yesterday and I bought a book that costs $60. The class sucked and I feel like I wasted my time, but I had to raise my GPA up a little bit just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I went to sell my book back and guess how much money I get back. I got back 9 fuckin' dollars for a $60 book. This is a CRIME! I feel that I should have a least gotten $25 back, but NO that bastard behind the counter throws $9 down on the table and expect me to smile like he did me a favor.

What's up with this crap? Who sets the amount of money you get back for books? These people HAVE to know that college is expensive and most students don't have any money (me included) and I spent the last bit of money I had on that class and that damn book. It was over $200 all together. I could have bought a GameCube and WrestleMania X8 for that. I could have pre-ordered KOF 2000 for that. I could have gotten some PS2 games (I don't have any) for that money. Hell, I didn't even need the book for the class, all I did was take notes, but if you show up a week without a book you get dropped from the class. I'm not working for the rest of the summer either so I have to wait for school to start again to get any money.

I can't stand it.

At least you got some money back. I have a freakin big as hell Sociology book and they wouldn't take it back. A whole $50+ book and the bastards won't give me a cent for it.

Fro Boy11
593th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 13:00post reply

quote:

At least you got some money back. I have a freakin big as hell Sociology book and they wouldn't take it back. A whole $50+ book and the bastards won't give me a cent for it.

Don't it make you wanna choke somebody?

As for demand for the book, well, the class is an easy A so I don't see why people wouldn't want to get in the class.

Radish
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 15:52post reply

The biggest pisser is when a gen-ed class (i.e a class no one wants to take and is unrelated to most majors) forces you to buy a $100 book, and then they chance editions (they add a couple index pages and one small new chapter) so you can't sell your old one back. I've had that happen on several occasions. Half the time I don't even use the books that I'm required to buy. It's a huge waste of money and these books are grossly overpriced.

Satoshi Miwa
1213th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 17:18post reply

Yeah, the price of books is perhaps the biggest rip job going on right now. And it isn't really the college's fault, it's more the publisher who keeps the prices of the books way up there...

But my advice is to not sell the book back to the store, since they'll never give a lot back (Since they want to make money reselling the book too, they'll often just give you half of what they resell for). If you want to make good money back sell the book on your own when the next semeseter starts. You can make more money, and give a deal to a new student (win/win)

Radish
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 17:24post reply

quote:
Yeah, the price of books is perhaps the biggest rip job going on right now. And it isn't really the college's fault, it's more the publisher who keeps the prices of the books way up there...

But my advice is to not sell the book back to the store, since they'll never give a lot back (Since they want to make money reselling the book too, they'll often just give you half of what they resell for). If you want to make good money back sell the book on your own when the next semeseter starts. You can make more money, and give a deal to a new student (win/win)

Yeah. Another way I've heard is to donate the books to a library and write it off on your taxes. I'm too lazy to have tried this, but I've had Professors who recommended it when they learned we were getting less than 10% back of what we paid.

Juke Joint Jezebel
596th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"ARGH" , posted Thu 4 Jul 17:31post reply

dude, i feel your pain

first, i know how horrible it is when they won't buy back a book

second ....
ugh, ok, i lost a library book (that i checked out at my university), right? i have no idea where it is. i take good care of things so i really dunno what the hell happened. so i go down there

me - hey, i lost a library book. i'm ready to pay *i hand them my credit card*
girl - ok ..... that'll be $72
me - WTF!! *i snatch back my credit card* explain
girl - the replacement fee for a book is $20, and the standard replacement for all library books is $52
me - but it says here ..
girl - lemme see that *reads* yea, see? right here "$20 replacement fee plus the price of the book," which is $72
me - *holding back the urge to kill the messenger* i see
girl - just go on the internet and find the book and we'll only charge you $20
me - thanks -_- have a good day
girl - bye! you too!

this was a few weeks ago, and i just realized they put a stop to my account and won't even send out a transcript for me (so i can't go to summer school) so i rushed on the internet a few hours ago to order the book. it was $10, which means $30 down the drain for my damn teleporting book of mystery -_- better than $72 but still ... christ. sneaky bastards

"Uwee hee hee! Don't tease the octopus kids!" -- Ultros

Radish
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):ARGH" , posted Thu 4 Jul 19:13post reply

quote:
dude, i feel your pain

first, i know how horrible it is when they won't buy back a book

second ....
ugh, ok, i lost a library book (that i checked out at my university), right? i have no idea where it is. i take good care of things so i really dunno what the hell happened. so i go down there

me - hey, i lost a library book. i'm ready to pay *i hand them my credit card*
girl - ok ..... that'll be $72
me - WTF!! *i snatch back my credit card* explain
girl - the replacement fee for a book is $20, and the standard replacement for all library books is $52
me - but it says here ..
girl - lemme see that *reads* yea, see? right here "$20 replacement fee plus the price of the book," which is $72
me - *holding back the urge to kill the messenger* i see
girl - just go on the internet and find the book and we'll only charge you $20
me - thanks -_- have a good day
girl - bye! you too!

this was a few weeks ago, and i just realized they put a stop to my account and won't even send out a transcript for me (so i can't go to summer school) so i rushed on the internet a few hours ago to order the book. it was $10, which means $30 down the drain for my damn teleporting book of mystery -_- better than $72 but still ... christ. sneaky bastards

That sucks. I had a somewhat similar experiance last year.

Me: I received a letter saying that I have a book overdo, but I haven't checked anything out in months.
Library guy: Well, let's see what it is in the computer.... There.
Me: Uh, I'm pretty sure I turned that in a while ago.
Library guy: Lemme get my boss.
Old Boss lady: Well, in this sort of situation you'll have to fill out this form with your SSN and wait in "Library Check-Out Limbo" while we slowly search our records and then blah blah blah.
Me: One sec. I'll be right back.
2 minutes later.
Me: Here. I found it on your shelf where it was supposed to be.
Old Boss Lady: Oh.

It would have cost me somewhere close to how much there were going to stick it to you for a book I was probably the first to check out in 40 years (literally.) Knowing the level of competency in my college after filling out a form, It would have been months before they found it; if they did at all.

Dr Baghead
1209th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Thu 4 Jul 22:03post reply

quote:

I can't stand it.

You think that's bad, every semester I have to go to the art store and spend hundreds on supplies that we're expected to have on the first day... then when class starts the teacher will get a list and tell us what we didn't need (like boxes of charcoal or expensive pads of paper, in one class our $50 lab fee wasn't even needed!) and unlike schools that even offer refunds on books, my school has a large sign that says "No refunds on any drawing materials or paper" at every supply depot!

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Fro Boy11
595th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Fri 5 Jul 07:46post reply

quote:

I can't stand it.

You think that's bad, every semester I have to go to the art store and spend hundreds on supplies that we're expected to have on the first day... then when class starts the teacher will get a list and tell us what we didn't need (like boxes of charcoal or expensive pads of paper, in one class our $50 lab fee wasn't even needed!) and unlike schools that even offer refunds on books, my school has a large sign that says "No refunds on any drawing materials or paper" at every supply depot!

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I had to do THE SAME THING. If we don't have the materials at the end of the week we get dropped from the class. I had to buy almost $200 on materials. The intructor would also give us a list of stuff to get and when I got (it came in a pakage) I found out I didn't get all of the materials I was supposed to (like a drawing board for one) and I was pissed. I never used the board for class because we had tables that were just like them. Buying art supplies suck. I've never tried to get a refund because I'll never know when I'll have to use that stuff again. Plus they gave us lockers in the building so we can just keep our stuff there. Most of my things are stuffed in a locker at the university.

TheBeast
568th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"I had worse times..." , posted Fri 5 Jul 08:03post reply

I face that kind of problems very often too.

For me, most of my textbooks were only used for a particular semester because another lecturer will almost always takes over the module during a new semester. He or she will almost always recommend new textbooks to be used, or recommend a new edition of the old one used last semester. As a result, nobody would want to trade or buy the textbooks anymore since the possibility of using it is almost zero. In the end, I had to either keep the textbook or throw it away in recycle bins. I suppose that is something even worse than facing cheats.

The good thing is having a textbook is not a compulsory thing. If you can survive without a textbook that is fine too. And textbooks can be loaned 24 hours (more if nobody actually reserves it) from the library as well.

Toxico
2093th Post

"What have we learned from this" , posted Fri 5 Jul 20:18post reply

Never sell books to the "industry" but always beseech any desperate student such as yourself.

That reminds me when I was forced to work, I made my hypotesis on the problem, figured some way to fix it; then when the main man arrived some jerk pupped up and related what I was doing posing as a genius, deplorable. At least I had the time of my life making his life miserable, is good to be ruthless, I tell ya

Gen
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Sat 6 Jul 01:46post reply

I suggest look for another store that sells the next txt book you need. Also get used books.
Monkey hate school bookstore sell $100 text book and buy back for $9.

talbaineric
3530th Post

"Re(2):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Sat 6 Jul 11:28post reply

I've been ripped off like that before. And it's an awful and blood burning feeling. Usually it happens after I finally realize it happened,too.

Ted
669th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):CROOKS!!!!!!" , posted Wed 10 Jul 17:12post reply

I hear ya too.....Stuff like that makes it easier to turn to emulation.......

Play TED on Kawaks or Kalliera!
just Look me up online or Post a CHallage!