[an error occurred while processing this directive] The Maki Appreciation Thread. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Ferrio
64th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 02:26:post reply

Time to pay tribute to Capcom's newest (well not really) female character.

Yes I know, she may suck all sorts in CvS2, easily finding herself on the bottom of the lower tier. And Yes she may be a blatent rip off of Mai. But she still kicks so much ass.

I'll even say that she's better than Mai!

Why does she kick ass, and why is she better than mai? Well...

-Her voice and attitude. She really sounds like she's *really* pissed off. Hearing her do her super command throw is just awesome. Also she's not as bubbly, bouncing at the mere site of her loved one.

-She's not falling out of her clothing. Yes she's a lot more conservative than Mai. Though I'm sure this is a blackmark against her in some of your books..this is a definate plus for me.

-The hair...it's cool! Why...I have no idea! Looking through my import CvS2 guide it shows a concept sprite of Maki. She didn't have the blond wavy hair in a ponytail, but straight brown hair in a ponytail instead. Luckily they changed it, breaking her further away from Mai clone status.

Anyways...yes now on to the Maki lovin'.

Maki's sound file from CvS2

Maki yells a lot

And some fanart. Though fanart is kinda hard to come by for her... I have been able to find a few safe to post pictures. She definatly doesn't get the attention she deserves... DAMN YOU MAI

Maki
Maki 2
Maki 3
Maki 4
Maki 5
Maki 6

Had to edit this one. Mai was originally in the picture...but decided her top was too restrictive. Also maki's panties were a bit too tight for their own good.

[this message was edited by Ferrio on Tue 11 Jun 02:31]

Replies:

Dutch Schultz
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 02:37post reply

quote:
Had to edit this one. Mai was originally in the picture...but decided her top was too restrictive. Also maki's panties were a bit too tight for their own good.

dude... you should have put a warning instead of editing. but thanks for the pics man!

"I wish i was crazy so that instead of worrying about people eating me people would worry about being eaten by me." - dutch schultz

Ferrio
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 02:40post reply

I don't know the rules of this board on suggestive/nude content.

whitesword
847th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 02:43post reply

My favorite thing about Maki...her air-to-air super throw! I've caught so many Blankas with it!

She's also my best character against Sagat (at least the Sagats around here) for some reason!

Rid Hershel
2819th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 03:36post reply

I like her a LOT. Maybe it's for her voice and her attitude, looks like she's angry, and she likes to win. She was hard to use at first but she became one of my principal characters.

Juke Joint Jezebel
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 04:37post reply

quote:
I like her a LOT. Maybe it's for her voice and her attitude, looks like she's angry, and she likes to win. She was hard to use at first but she became one of my principal characters.

i liked her at first. i had fun kicking my friends' asses with her when i first learned how to use her ... then there was the period i stopped using her, and the short period i got my ass beaten BADLY by a turtle Maki player. THE ASSHOLE GOT HIS FRIENDS TO TAP ME ON THE SHOULDER RIGHT BEFORE HE DID HIS GOD DAMN LVL3 THROW SUPER ARGH!!! naturally, i turned around, thinking it was my friend and that something was wrong, but no one was there except for my opponent's friends -- my friend was across the arcade, talking to someone he hasn't seen in a while, and when i turned back around (this all took about less than a second), i heard Maki's warcry and my guy was being mangled (it knocked him out)

now ..... i can't bear to play as her or even look at her any more -_-

talbaineric
3459th Post

"Re(3):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 06:31post reply

I hate to say this,but I also think she's better than Mai! She's sexy,and sneakers,black panties and a blonde hair go together well!

Anyway,I'm pretty good with Maki. She's not that hard to use. Although her power is weak(Capcom made her just like the others who were toned down)

I love Maki! I hope she makes another comeback in the next Capcom game(besides SFA3U)! I'm a fan of her!

RugalBernstein
2010th Post

"Re(3):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 09:08post reply

Ho ho ho.. that's a truly dirty trick he pulled... unrelated question, but has anybody here ever tried yelling the name of the move they are about to do loudly? Ha ha ha, I find that it can really throw the opponent off, especially if they aren't expecting it. ^_^

Ferrio
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 09:14:post reply

quote:
Ho ho ho.. that's a truly dirty trick he pulled... unrelated question, but has anybody here ever tried yelling the name of the move they are about to do loudly? Ha ha ha, I find that it can really throw the opponent off, especially if they aren't expecting it. ^_^

Someone once told me they did this one stupid trick with rugal and his friend fell for it.

He'd do the Kaiser wave move and hold it. Then he'd trie to say "Wave" like Rugal does. His friend instinctively rolled....then got hit by the move as soon as the he got out of the roll.

[this message was edited by Ferrio on Tue 11 Jun 09:15]

dorikyasu
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 09:19post reply

I like Maki... She was my main gal in Final Fight 2 (like there was any other gal in that game, besides Chun-Li cameo, that is).

I don't know why Capcom felt the need to give her a tonfa in CvS2, as she didn't really needed it in FF2. Guess they had to make her stand out so people didn't confuse her with Mai.

I'd love to see a new Final Fight with both Maki & Guy in it (along with the rest of the cast, Haggar, Cody, Carlos, etc...) doing SoR style team up attacks. Bushin tag power!

Dr Baghead
1106th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 09:32post reply

would it be possible for in future Appreciation threads for you to list the names and possibly even web-sites of the artist next to their pictures?

I have this beliefe that you should always credit an artist when you use their work, since they work and slave for hours to create something and should be given proper dues for such. I mean, appreciation threads seem to about fan art of less popular characters right? I certainly wouldn't draw under appericated characters if I wasn't going to be credited for the picture...

[Note: please don't take that as a flame, if it comes across as such I'm sorry, it's meant just as constructive criticism]

Ferrio
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 09:36post reply

quote:
would it be possible for in future Appreciation threads for you to list the names and possibly even web-sites of the artist next to their pictures?

I have this beliefe that you should always credit an artist when you use their work, since they work and slave for hours to create something and should be given proper dues for such. I mean, appreciation threads seem to about fan art of less popular characters right? I certainly wouldn't draw under appericated characters if I wasn't going to be credited for the picture...

[Note: please don't take that as a flame, if it comes across as such I'm sorry, it's meant just as constructive criticism]

I wish I could, but do the large volume of pictures I have obtained it's hard to keep track of what artist has made what. If I recognize a certain work, I'll try to link to the artist's site.

Maki 4 is from here

Maki 5 is from here

Ishmael
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 10:10post reply

A brassy blonde who tends to run around without pants; what's not to like?

Satoshi Miwa
1120th Post

"Re(5):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 11:01post reply

quote:
I'd love to see a new Final Fight with both Maki & Guy in it (along with the rest of the cast, Haggar, Cody, Carlos, etc...) doing SoR style team up attacks. Bushin tag power!

New Final Fight would be more than welcome, and it could have a nice home on the GBA. Heck, even if they redid Final Fight 2 with a CvS Maki sprite (a la the Alpha form of Cody and Guy) I'd want it!

And yeah, Maki rocks and all, and nice fan art. And I still like Mai, too...:)

EddyT
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Where the Maki influence was" , posted Tue 11 Jun 11:14:post reply

quote:
I don't know why Capcom felt the need to give her a tonfa in CvS2, as she didn't really needed it in FF2. Guess they had to make her stand out so people didn't confuse her with Mai.

They gave her the tonfa most likely because of what happens in "Sakura Ganbaru", an official Capcom 2-book manga drawn by Masahiko Nakahira.

The manga is the story of Sakura's quest to meet Ryu and fight him. In the first manga, she is in a tournament that Karin is hosting... and ends up fighting Maki. Her outfit is a bit different than her CvS2 one (the outfit in the manga covers the front and not the back) but she has the tonfa. She even has her "sukiyari" yell in the manga (have no idea what it means in Japanese).

I'm quite positive that's where the influence was. After all, this is the manga series where Karin debuted (even before SF Zero 3 was released). Nakahira is the man.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Tue 11 Jun 11:16]

Rugalbernstein
2011th Post

"Re(1):Where the Maki influence was" , posted Tue 11 Jun 12:29post reply

The tonfa was actually her " weapon of choice " in Final Fight 2, as well. It's been quite a while since I've played it, but I believe Carlos' weapon was the sword.

Puar
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 12:55post reply

Hmmm... The only thing I don't like about Maki is using her against a High Level CPU who "knows" if you're going to strike high or low each time and chooes to block in every case and then commence to kick your ass.

"You should get to know me better no one's every what they seem."

HazZan
633th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 13:05post reply

quote:
Time to pay tribute to Capcom's newest (well not really) female character.

Yes I know, she may suck all sorts in CvS2, easily finding herself on the bottom of the lower tier. And Yes she may be a blatent rip off of Mai. But she still kicks so much ass.

I'll even say that she's better than Mai!

Why does she kick ass, and why is she better than mai? Well...

-Her voice and attitude. She really sounds like she's *really* pissed off. Hearing her do her super command throw is just awesome. Also she's not as bubbly, bouncing at the mere site of her loved one.

-She's not falling out of her clothing. Yes she's a lot more conservative than Mai. Though I'm sure this is a blackmark against her in some of your books..this is a definate plus for me.

-The hair...it's cool! Why...I have no idea! Looking through my import CvS2 guide it shows a concept sprite of Maki. She didn't have the blond wavy hair in a ponytail, but straight brown hair in a ponytail instead. Luckily they changed it, breaking her further away from Mai clone status.

Anyways...yes now on to the Maki lovin'.

Maki's sound file from CvS2

Maki yells a lot

And some fanart. Though fanart is kinda hard to come by for her... I have been able to find a few safe to post pictures. She definatly doesn't get the attention she deserves... DAMN YOU MAI

Maki
Maki 2
Maki 3
Maki 4
Maki 5
Maki 6

Hot pics.
MESSATSU

"Messatsu"

Dr Baghead
1109th Post

"Re(3):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 14:36post reply

quote:
I wish I could, but do the large volume of pictures I have obtained it's hard to keep track of what artist has made what. If I recognize a certain work, I'll try to link to the artist's site.

Maki 4 is from here

Maki 5 is from here

Well so long as you try that's good enough. I understand the impossiblity of keeping track of every artist...

ChunliFan
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 14:38post reply

quote:

Maki 4 is from here

Maki 5 is from here

Well so long as you try that's good enough. I understand the impossiblity of keeping track of every artist...

She's ok, but i still want my Guy.

pointystick
698th Post

"Re(5):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 15:16post reply

I agree. Maki's okay, but a poor substitute for the coolness that is Guy.

HIDDEN WARRIOR
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 15:27post reply

1)sakura ganbare is not official nor has capcom said so.

2)maki barely qualifies as a "blatant mai clone".Hardly.Other then the fact that they are both kunoichi and have simular outfits,their personalities and fighting styles are nothing alike.A blatant clone is more like comparing mizoguchi of fighters histort with ryu.

3)I feel capcom ruined one of my favorite capcom gals.I was a fan of hers(and still am) before the concept of capcom vs. snk popped into the heads of CVS creator.Back then in final fight 2 she wasnt this load mouth,swearing profanity,butch tomboy she is now.Her personality is mostly like haohmaru's down to his speech and way of saying it.In final fight 2 she was a graceful ninja who was serious and not a load mouth with no feminint body language.Go look for yourself.She acts like a guy.I still like her alot,but im more in love with her past rather then her present self

KAISER WAVE!!!

whitesword
854th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 17:38post reply

quote:
3)I feel capcom ruined one of my favorite capcom gals.I was a fan of hers(and still am) before the concept of capcom vs. snk popped into the heads of CVS creator.Back then in final fight 2 she wasnt this load mouth,swearing profanity,butch tomboy she is now.Her personality is mostly like haohmaru's down to his speech and way of saying it.In final fight 2 she was a graceful ninja who was serious and not a load mouth with no feminint body language.Go look for yourself.She acts like a guy.I still like her alot,but im more in love with her past rather then her present self

I like to think that fighting along side Haggar, and her father's death contributed to her personality change.

Freeter
2793th Post

"Re(7):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 17:39post reply

quote:

Amen to that. She also needs her shin-guards.

DoA girls in bikinis? Count me in!

Shin ATproof
642th Post

"Re(8):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 17:49:post reply

Reasons I like Maki:

1)She is super hot

2)She is a fantastic grappler

3)I find her better than Guy

4)She is one of my better characters in CvS2

MAKI OWNZ!
I just wish there was more Doujinshi of her...there isn't enough!
Edit: What am I saying!? THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH DOUJINSHI!

[returns to working on his Maki FAQ]

[this message was edited by Shin ATproof on Tue 11 Jun 17:57]

pointystick
699th Post

"Re(7):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Tue 11 Jun 19:25post reply

quote:

Back then in final fight 2 she wasnt this load mouth,swearing profanity,butch tomboy she is now.Her personality is mostly like haohmaru's down to his speech and way of saying it.In final fight 2 she was a graceful ninja who was serious and not a load mouth with no feminint body language.

I am a big fan of the psycho, super agressive girls in fighting games (I use Makoto almost exclusively in SF3 for this reason), Maki's blatant clinical psychosis is my favorite thing about her.

ONSLAUGHT
2090th Post

"well..." , posted Tue 11 Jun 20:11post reply

quote:

2)maki barely qualifies as a "blatant mai clone".Hardly.Other then the fact that they are both kunoichi and have simular outfits,their personalities and fighting styles are nothing alike.A blatant clone is more like comparing mizoguchi of fighters histort with ryu.

Amen to that!
I hate when people says Maki is a Mai ripoff or a Mai clone dammit! Only because they dress similar makes her a clone/copy/ripoff? geez, if that's the case I can think of thousand ripoffs based only on the clothes...

Iron D
1821th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):well..." , posted Tue 11 Jun 23:43post reply

The only way that I can associate Maki with the word "ripoff" is the fact that I'd like to "ripoff" her clothes!

Maki is, IMO, the hottest blonde girl in fighting games! She's fun to use, an awesome character, and...well she just ROCKS!!!

BTW, Ferrio, that last Maki pic has just got me salivatin'! I LOVE BOOTY!!! Yes indeedy, I'm an @$$ man....

Suichi
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Where the Maki influence was" , posted Wed 12 Jun 01:57post reply

quote:
She even has her "sukiyari" yell in the manga (have no idea what it means in Japanese).

It means "an opening/you're vulnerable" It's like yelling "Gotcha!"

--Suichi

Juke Joint Jezebel
471th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):well..." , posted Wed 12 Jun 02:04:post reply

quote:

oh ya, i forgot to mention that. i've got to agree. people say she's a ripoff of Mai but similar dress doesn't make them ripoffs

quote:
Amen to that!
I hate when people says Maki is a Mai ripoff or a Mai clone dammit! Only because they dress similar makes her a clone/copy/ripoff? geez, if that's the case I can think of thousand ripoffs based only on the clothes...

yea, ughh. i've talked to onslaught about this before, but argh, i get pissed when i hear that Makoto's a Ryu clone. i mean WTFF, i won't even get into that

EDIT:
quote:
I LOVE BOOTY!!!

ROFL uh-huh

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Wed 12 Jun 02:06]

Time Mage
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 02:12post reply

quote:

I am a big fan of the psycho, super agressive girls in fighting games (I use Makoto almost exclusively in SF3 for this reason), Maki's blatant clinical psychosis is my favorite thing about her.

Total agree there. I prefer aggresive girls to those innocent-like ones.

Ferrio
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 02:31post reply

quote:

MAKI OWNZ!

Sure you're looking in the right place?

Naughty Maki

iggy
263th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 03:00post reply

I love Maki as a fighter, she's quite original, very surprising (again a human opponent, since she's completely useless against the CPU) but.... but.... SHE'S SO DAMN UGLY!!!
She made me understand how I was wrong to call Sakura a gorilla... how can you find sexy a girl with this stupid victory pose where she says ha-ha-ha-ha-ha with this stupid expression on her face?
And the before match again Mai... how can she tell this to Mai? Has she ever seen a mirror?
Anyway, I'm quite happy she's in the game, at least she has the personality of a fighting woman (ahem... Sakura...), and I'm sure she would hang up with King much more than Ryo. (speaking of what, it would be so great to have Poison in that game... with, King, the transvestite team)

talbaineric
3466th Post

"Re(4):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 06:10post reply

quote:
A brassy blonde who tends to run around without pants; what's not to like?

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Shin ATproof
644th Post

"Re(10):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 10:34post reply

quote:

MAKI OWNZ!

Sure you're looking in the right place?

Naughty Maki

I'm pretty sure...but my quest is never ending so more will eventually turn up. Maki just isn't that popular in the world of Doujinshi.

EddyT
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 11:52:post reply

quote:
1)sakura ganbare is not official nor has capcom said so.

"Sakura Ganbaru" was published by Gamest, which at the time was one of the biggest and most respected authorities of video gaming in Japan. It contained Karin's official first appearance anywhere (I don't think Karin would have ever been conceived had it not been for that manga, I heard he basically created Karin) and that manga was even featured in an official Street Fighter Zero 3 mook with an article.

Nakahira also made manga featuring Cammy, SF Zero 2 and Ryu SFIII. These were also made by Gamest Comics, and I remember seeing parts of Ryu SFIII featured in Gamest Magazine (I think it was a monthly mag... not sure). Some of the Cammy comics made it to the USA through Viz Comics and the defunct Game ON! USA Magazine. And I don't think they would have published it here, if it didn't have Capcom's blessings.

If that's not official, I don't know what is. It's much closer to official than your regular doujinshi artist, that's for sure. So, I'm pretty confident that Nakahira's efforts for his Capcom comics are acknowledged by Capcom themselves.

Suichi: Thanks for the translation... I really appreciate it!

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 12 Jun 12:18]

TiamatRoar
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 12:40post reply

Sakura Ganbaru isn't official, but Capcom loved the thing so much that they actually took things from it and MADE it official.

Things from Sakura Ganbaru that Capcom took and ported to the official storyline include Karin in her entirety, Sakura being Dan's not-so-student student, and Blanka saving Dan's life when Dan was a child. There are probably more, but there are a few things they didn't port (Cammy from Sakura Ganbaru is quite different from official Shadaloo Cammy, for one thing).

To reiterate, the comic was never official or even close to it, but AFTER the manga was made and released, Capcom saw it and loved it so much that they took chunks of it for use in the official story (not all of it, though, but a whole lot).

Taa kun
147th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 14:04post reply

I really like maki, i like these raw fish with rice rolls...

What, you're not talking about japanese food... But the ninja tomboy...
*Looks at the dojinshi for the tomboy part*
Gulps...

Seriously, I like her, except for her laugh and her hairstyle... personal taste...

quote:
Nakahira also made manga featuring Cammy, SF Zero 2 and Ryu SFIII. These were also made by Gamest Comics, and I remember seeing parts of Ryu SFIII featured in Gamest Magazine (I think it was a monthly mag... not sure).

Gamest used to come out two times a month...
They prepublished the SF Zero 2 (creation of Satsui no Hado ?) and SFIII Ryu Final...

Tsukurimashou... Tsukurimashou...
Sate sate nani ga dekiru ka na ?

EddyT
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):The Maki Appreciation Thread." , posted Wed 12 Jun 14:10:post reply

TiamatRoar: Thank you for clearing that up... I was under the assumption that the Sakura manga was official at the time, but I guess it wasn't really.

Sorry for any confusion.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 12 Jun 14:14]

Ferrio
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"A new picture, wow." , posted Wed 26 Jun 10:42post reply

*In his best Altered Beast Voice*

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Wow a new maki picture....how'd that happen?

Artist can be found here:

http://www5.justnet.ne.jp/~siranui/