[an error occurred while processing this directive] The Spider-Man movie thread! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

ONSLAUGHT
2066th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The Spider-Man movie thread!" , posted Thu 6 Jun 20:22:post reply

Yes my friends, I love this movie soooooo much, that I decided to open a thread to discuss it. Beware, there would be Spoilers, so, if you haven't seen the movie (What are you waiting for dammit??) try to skip this thread till you see it.

I want you to say anything, details, cameos, how many times have you seen it, unknown facts, and things like that!

And to open the thread, let me point something that almost everyone missed:

When the Green Goblin falls into the tent, and when he says to the cops that he surrenders, his head looks purple! Yeah, the tent is purple and it is reflecting its color into the GG's head. I think this is a little homage to the Original Green Goblin, you know, he has a purple hood!

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Thu 6 Jun 20:25]

Replies:

Satoshi Miwa
1107th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):The Spider-Man movie thread!" , posted Thu 6 Jun 20:43post reply

Best movie of the Summer (Okay, I've only this and Attack of the clones.). It was fun, mostly faithfull to the Lee comics (Ya know, before Ben Riley nearly killed Spiderman and Marvel), and it had Bruce Campbell and Randy Savage in it. How can you go wrong with that?

ONSLAUGHT
2066th Post

"Re(2):The Spider-Man movie thread!" , posted Thu 6 Jun 21:08post reply

quote:
Best movie of the Summer (Okay, I've only this and Attack of the clones.). It was fun, mostly faithfull to the Lee comics (Ya know, before Ben Riley nearly killed Spiderman and Marvel), and it had Bruce Campbell and Randy Savage in it. How can you go wrong with that?

Yes, the movie is very true to the comic, and I liked that they used less action and more heart.

By the way, what's your favorite line from the movie?

pointystick
679th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):The Spider-Man movie thread!" , posted Thu 6 Jun 21:43post reply

I am happier with the way it turned out than I have been with any comic book adaptation to anything, with the possible exception of the Batman animated series (the early ones) and the Capcom vs. games. I don't care about the organic web-shooters, they had their hearts in the right place. Unlike that punkass X-Men movie, what a waste of the characters. The only thing I kind of object to is the casting for Mary Jane. In the comics, she is a much more atheletic and all around bigger and tougher person. She had a hard childhood and instead of being quiet like in the movie, she became a ball of fire. That, and I kind of wonder why they decided to make the story start in high school instead of college.

TheBeast
459th Post

Gold Customer

"MISTAKES!" , posted Thu 6 Jun 23:13post reply

quote:

Yes, the movie is very true to the comic, and I liked that they used less action and more heart.

By the way, what's your favorite line from the movie?

Yup I agree. No doubt less action will be quite a disappointment to some of the crowds, but I feel for Spiderman he is actually a person with a lot of emotions, so the move to have more heart is good.

But I feel Tobey and Kristen are quite stiff in their acting. They just don't seem...ermm natural enough...

Xena the Princess Warrior is in it...But don't ask me where...I forgot...

Favourite line is (MUST BE for those who watched it) "With greater powers comes greater responsibility"

By the way, There are 100+ mistakes found in the movie....GEE.....

HUH?? WHAT MISTAKES??

The only antidote to my poison is death...Hey! No fair! You have a resurrection move??

ONSLAUGHT
2068th Post

"Re(1):MISTAKES!" , posted Thu 6 Jun 23:25post reply

quote:

HUH?? WHAT MISTAKES??

Oh look! Peter had 385906 hairs in one scene, and in other one he has 385905 hairs!!!

Geez, nothing is perfect... If I start to search for errors on everything, of course that I will find tons of them, but then I would not enjoy the movie/vieogame/book/whatever...

Anyway, my fave line was of course "With great power comes great responsibility" but there are tons of them, all of the J.J. Jameson ones are pure gold!

Zyzyfer
423th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 01:03post reply

the only mistake that amounts to anything true in that list is the one about the green goblin's plan to finish off parker, because it was a pretty stupid conclusion.

i heard another one from someone, something about osborne not being able to be evicted from his company if he made it, but i ain't so worried about that one. the one with the goblin bugged me.

good movie though, it was spiderman, plain and simple.

ONSLAUGHT
2071th Post

"Re(3):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 09:15post reply

quote:
the only mistake that amounts to anything true in that list is the one about the green goblin's plan to finish off parker, because it was a pretty stupid conclusion.

You mean the plan of impaling him with his glider?

In the comics the Green Goblin dies exactly like that, I liked it a lot.
You see, GG is crazy, and at that moment he was blinded with rage, he wanted to kill Spiderman at any cost, so, when Spidey jumped, he realized the stupidity of his plan, that's why we saw the "OH" scene...
I think it was pretty god

Shapermc
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 09:35post reply

quote:

HUH?? WHAT MISTAKES??

That was extreamly irratating to read through.

I thought that it was a good movie, except (here come the flames) the WTC tribute.
The scene where spiderman is looking out over the city and you can tell that they edited the film so that he was looking at the WTC. I'm sorry but the movie did not need this!

ONSLAUGHT
2072th Post

"Re(2):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 09:41post reply

quote:

The scene where spiderman is looking out over the city and you can tell that they edited the film so that he was looking at the WTC. I'm sorry but the movie did not need this!

Uh?? no, I think you're a bit confused...
That scene was present LONG BEFORE the WTC attacks!
So, I don't think it's a tribute or something...

Zyzyfer
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 10:31post reply

quote:
In the comics the Green Goblin dies exactly like that, I liked it a lot.
You see, GG is crazy, and at that moment he was blinded with rage, he wanted to kill Spiderman at any cost, so, when Spidey jumped, he realized the stupidity of his plan, that's why we saw the "OH" scene...
I think it was pretty god

as opposed to an ugly god heh...

well, if it went down like that in the comic, i'll respect. it's an old story, so by today's standards some of the throwbacks do come across as eerie.

ONSLAUGHT
2073th Post

"Re(5):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 10:41post reply

quote:

as opposed to an ugly god heh...

well, if it went down like that in the comic, i'll respect. it's an old story, so by today's standards some of the throwbacks do come across as eerie.

Ha ha, sorry, that was a typo, I meant Pretty good, not god

Shapermc
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 10:42post reply

quote:

Uh?? no, I think you're a bit confused...
That scene was present LONG BEFORE the WTC attacks!
So, I don't think it's a tribute or something...

Mabey ?!?!?!

It looked very photoshopped. Mabey I was just looking to hard. It looked cut and paste to me. I will have to wait for the Higher quality of the DVD release to see.

Gojira
440th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):MISTAKES!" , posted Fri 7 Jun 11:54post reply

It was average. Frankly I thought X-Men was a better and more entertaining movie. As for the acting, everyone but the two main characters were great. Kirsten Dunst's MJ I could at least tolerate, but Tobey... crap, his Parker has all the wit of a kidney stone. Whenever he delivered a line that was supposed to be funny, he sounded like a pre-pubescent teenager reading off a cue card. I can't understand how anyone could say that he made the perfect Spiderman when I can think of about a dozen actors who would have been more suited to the part. Well, the movie didn't suck though, and that's the important thing. My favorite part was the end where Peter turns Mary Jane down flat and she gets that look on her face like she just figured out that he's gay. I really laughed my ass off at that.

TheBeast
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):MISTAKES!" , posted Sat 8 Jun 05:32post reply

quote:

HUH?? WHAT MISTAKES??

Oh look! Peter had 385906 hairs in one scene, and in other one he has 385905 hairs!!!

Geez, nothing is perfect... If I start to search for errors on everything, of course that I will find tons of them, but then I would not enjoy the movie/vieogame/book/whatever...

Anyway, my fave line was of course "With great power comes great responsibility" but there are tons of them, all of the J.J. Jameson ones are pure gold!

I can only agree partly on what you said. It is true that we cannot avoid mistakes in everything we do - nothing is perfect, but we must bear in mind to minimize the mistakes as far as possible. Some of the mistakes, if you read carefully, are rather unforgiveable - like the one with the kids in the cable car screaming and the adults looking bored. I can't been able to confirm that, but that shows how careless the producers are and the unprofessional attitude of the actors.

Making mistakes are unavoidable, but making silly ones are, in my opinion, unpardonable.

The only antidote to my poison is death...Hey! No fair! You have a resurrection move??

talbaineric
3438th Post

"Re(3):MISTAKES!" , posted Sat 8 Jun 07:36post reply

The action and special effects were great. I thought it was pretty average,though. Could've been better without all the emotional lovey-dovey crap we see so much in movies nowadays.

Kirsten Dunst is hot!

But a good movie. I'll get it on DVD.

BCMidnight
481th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):MISTAKES!" , posted Sat 8 Jun 09:32post reply

"Go Web!"

"Fly."

Accompanied by all those great hand gestures.

Rolling Start
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Dissapointment..." , posted Sat 8 Jun 10:46post reply

I USED to be a big fan of the comics, and i have to say: i was dissapointed by a lot of things in this movie.

1.) Tobey McGuire and Kirsten Dunst. They just seemed...too young. It really didn't work for me. I know Parker is supposed to be in high school and all, but they just seemed to be playing the part a bit too fresh-faced, and it cam off very annoying. I would have liked it a little more like batman, starting with him already being spidey in his early-mid 20s, but still explaining how he became spidey. My choice for spidey? Even though i hated Fight Club (flame away, you pretentious bastards! It SUCKED!), I think Ed Norton could have played a good Spidey. He can play a nerd well, but he can play angry as well. For MJ? Well, there aren't too many red-head actresses, so I'll go with Alicia Witt. Here's a head shot:

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/N/000/18/60/Headshot.gif

I think she could have played a could MJ, however I don't know if she would have, given her track record...

2.) Peter revealed his powers too much. How many fuckin kids can do a backflip over another guys head? Especially a nerd like parker? People would definately suspect something. Also, when he was first testing his webshooters? It's fucking MANHATTEN! As if that street would have been completely empty. He just didn't take enough care in hiding his powers. Oh yeah, and that scene in the cafeteria not only reminded why I hate Kirsten Dunst so much (Hollywood hanging on casting couch hoe), but it just looked ridiculous.

3.) Green Goblin. OK, this bugged me the most. There was ONE scene in the movie where GG looked even remotely like he should have: when Dafoe made that face in the mirror. Now, what would have been more expensive: giving Dafoe some green face makeup and eye effects, or building that RIDICULOUS suit? Every time he was on screen, i burst out laughing. Even though the comparison has been made dozens of times, he really did look like a Power Rangers villain. Seeing him and parker talk back and forth looked so stupid, without any facial expression Dafoe's acting abilities were completely lost. They may as well have said that the Green Goblin was a runaway cyborg and paid him a voiceover salary. I won't comment on killing off one of Spidey's greatest villains in the first movie, because they could very easily bring him back with little explanation, looking at the last time we saw him.

4.) The whole thing was rushed, which ruined all character development. Talking to people who never read the comics, they couldn't understand why peter was so upset over the death of Uncle Ben. In the movie, sure, he told aunt may how much he loved peter, but he and peter did nothing but fight! There was little to no warmth between the two characters. Parker should have been like in the comics: coming home and playing board games with Aunt May and Uncle Ben, going to like country fairs on the weekends, not act like a little prick. I felt a lot more for him in the comics when they made it out like those two were not only his only family, but his only friends. Oh yeah, and Maggie Smith should have played Aunt May. She's supposed to be frail, not overweight! The actress they got had the personality down, but she looked like Aunt Meg in twister!

5.) That scene near the end with the New Yorkers throwing stuff at Gobby. What a load of fuckin bullshit! Goblin can toss spidey around like nothing, fight off like 6 people at once, but taunts and garbage distract him? WTF?

Things I DID like:

Organic webshooters. Went in expecting to hate it, but left liking it.

Harry Osborne. Played the part perfectly.

JJJ: Same thing.

MJ abusive family: Why not?

The effects: For the most part, they were solid.

The wrestling scene: You want excitement? Snap into a slim jim, OOOOOOOOOH YEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHH!

The ending: Worked for me.

On the whole though, the entire movie felt like a rushed production to combat Star Wars at the box office. Sorry bout the length....

Bolischoy Tavieda!

Owhyawhyawhyawhya!

Rid Hershel
2803th Post

"Dissapointment?" , posted Sat 8 Jun 10:55post reply

quote:
Well, there aren't too many red-head actresses, so I'll go with Alicia Witt.

Yes, that would be so cool...

Personally I liked the movie a lot, it was very cool (but not excellent at all). Anyway, X-Men stands as my favorite Marvel Comics movie adaptation...

ONSLAUGHT
2081th Post

"Re(1):Dissapointment..." , posted Sat 8 Jun 14:23post reply

quote:
I USED to be a big fan of the comics, and i have to say: i was dissapointed by a lot of things in this movie.

I was about to discuss this, but as the Green Goblin said in one scene: Oh well, to each his own...

Dr Baghead
1087th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Dissapointment..." , posted Sat 8 Jun 15:27post reply

You know I was going to argue with a lot of what you said Rolling Start, so here's my Cliff Notes responce:

quote:
2.) Peter revealed his powers too much. How many fuckin kids can do a backflip over another guys head? Especially a nerd like parker? People would definately suspect something. Also, when he was first testing his webshooters? It's fucking MANHATTEN! As if that street would have been completely empty. He just didn't take enough care in hiding his powers.

I totally agree with that! But I'll give them the benifit of the doubt because:
-the kids in the school who saw Peter run away with the web trail and beat up Flash probably assumed there was no way in Hell Peter coud be Spiderman, just like no one ever assumed Clark Kent could be Superman despite his disgues being a pair of glasses...he's just too dorky! there's no way he could be a super hero... the fight promoter probably assumed Peter was too much of an asshole to save people when he let that guy stell all his money...

quote:
5.) That scene near the end with the New Yorkers throwing stuff at Gobby. What a load of fuckin bullshit! Goblin can toss spidey around like nothing, fight off like 6 people at once, but taunts and garbage distract him? WTF?

No one seems to get that scene... everyone thinks it's something tacked on real quick after 9-11... I always thought that scene represnted the opposite of what GG told Spidey. He said "Everyone loves a hero, but they love to see a hero fall even more" remember? Gobby told him how soon everyone would hate him and how only by teaming up could he get anywhere... but then everyone helps Spider-man, it's not Bullshit, it's showing how Spider-man's faith in humanity was rewarded for fighting the good fight... okay it IS bullshit, but not pointless bullshit...

I also thought casting was great and I hope they keep it at this level in the next few movies and don't turn into "hey that persons pretty famous! let's make them a villian!" like in the Batman movies...

Hungrywolf
1019th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Dissapointment..." , posted Sat 8 Jun 17:08post reply

quote:
You know I was going to argue with a lot of what you said Rolling Start, so here's my Cliff Notes responce:

2.) Peter revealed his powers too much. How many fuckin kids can do a backflip over another guys head? Especially a nerd like parker? People would definately suspect something. Also, when he was first testing his webshooters? It's fucking MANHATTEN! As if that street would have been completely empty. He just didn't take enough care in hiding his powers.

I totally agree with that! But I'll give them the benifit of the doubt because:
-the kids in the school who saw Peter run away with the web trail and beat up Flash probably assumed there was no way in Hell Peter coud be Spiderman, just like no one ever assumed Clark Kent could be Superman despite his disgues being a pair of glasses...he's just too dorky! there's no way he could be a super hero... the fight promoter probably assumed Peter was too much of an asshole to save people when he let that guy stell all his money...

No one seems to get that scene... everyone thinks it's something tacked on real quick after 9-11... I always thought that scene represnted the opposite of what GG told Spidey. He said "Everyone loves a hero, but they love to see a hero fall even more" remember? Gobby told him how soon everyone would hate him and how only by teaming up could he get anywhere... but then everyone helps Spider-man, it's not Bullshit, it's showing how Spider-man's faith in humanity was rewarded for fighting the good fight... okay it IS bullshit, but not pointless bullshit...

I also thought casting was great and I hope they keep it at this level in the next few movies and don't turn into "hey that persons pretty famous! let's make them a villian!" like in the Batman movies...

Well, I don't want to discuss the movie. I saw it my third time this weekend. Kirsten and Tobey did an excellent job, and they are both very good actors. I'm tired of people complaining about some of this kind of stuff, it's irritating. Blah, anyway, the movie was excellent. Some people are never happy with anything, and those people need to get over their pettiness.

Toxico
2011th Post

"Re(2):MISTAKES!" , posted Sat 8 Jun 18:31post reply

quote:

Geez, nothing is perfect...

Yes, not even me LoL

I feel greatly identified with JJJ; the movie was good amd it has it's small faults, but that's rasonable if you compress a big story on a movie that won't last 3 days.

Good.

Time Mage
647th Post

"The Spider-Man movie thread! Revival!" , posted Sat 22 Jun 15:31post reply

At last the movie has reached here, so I'm resurrecting this thread.
[uses Gill's voice] Resurrection!!![/uses Gill's voice]

I loved the film. The proportion action/drama was OK, although I wanted more funny Spidey trademark quotes, and a little more humour. It was OK, but Spidey is more talkative and sarcastic than what the film shows.
The action scenes were great, specially the one in the building in fire, it was amazing.
About the Green Goblin, well, I liked/disliked him. The dislike part was all because of the suit. Yes, they could have done it different from the comics, but the difference was too much for me.
The good part? Everything else. Starting with Willem Dafoe's acting (the best of the movie in my opinion) and ending with the Green Goblin's attitude and specially VOICE. The laugh was so cruel/mad that it was the part of the character that defined better the villian. I think that they left the original laugh in the spanish dub (good dub, I must say), and it looked great.

Mmmm... more things... Ah! Favourite quote: "Who are you?""Your friend and neighbourg Spider-Man" All a classic.

Other noticeable things: details. For example, silencing JJJ with a well-aimed webshot, or blinding the GG with another one. MJ calling Peter "Tiger", or the vengeance phrases from Harry.

Also: Did you noticed Stan Lee?? I saw him. What about you?

Time Mage
648th Post

"Re(1):The Spider-Man movie thread! Revival!" , posted Sat 22 Jun 16:10post reply

Hey! It hasn't jumped to the top! Go! Go!