[an error occurred while processing this directive] Who's buying all the ps2 crap? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

ninjabastard
558th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sat 18 May 23:35:post reply

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

I'm wondering who is going to buy the:
hard drive 80
network adapter 40
and service 20-40 (probably needed to play like sega net)

just to play FFXI (around 50)

which equals

140-160 without game or 120 without serivce. Seems like alot for so little. I've had bad experneces with add ons( 32x, Sega CD, etc.) So I'm going to wait and see. Right now it doesn't seem like it's worth it.

[this message was edited by ninjabastard on Sun 19 May 02:31]

Replies:

Pollyanna
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 01:00post reply

Well, in America...I wouldn't say the service will cost that much. This is a big marketing decision. Online games are popular in America, but PS2 ones won't be if the service fee is too high. It will effect a LOT of companies negatively if FF11 fails, so I really think that Square will have to market it carefully for it to succeed. With the addons already costing a lot and most online gaming being cheap, I think that they'll probably offer a good deal.
As for me buying it...well...it's sort of like the PS2. When it first came out, it wasn't worth it. I waited a little under a year and then it was VERY worth it to me. If I had gotten the system at first, I would have only sort of liked it, but at this point, I'm VERY satisfied with it. There are a number of games on the horizon that will need those addons as well...and if the service fee for those games isn't too high, then I see it as a sound investment.

Shin ATproof
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 01:55post reply

Well personally I would only get my PS2 online only for Fighting games...screw RPGs...I MAY get it but I may not either...too much money for a rather cheap thrill(depending of competition which WILL suck for the most part Kaillera is testimonial to that) if you as me.

Professor
1557th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 01:56post reply

quote:
Poll

hard drive 80
network adapter 40
and service 40 (probably needed to play like sega net)

which equals

160 without game or 120 without serivce.

The cost for just network games is just a tad bit too high, imo. Considering that the PS2 Net'set is about the same price as the Xbox, it'd probably be more worth the bang for the buck to get the console.

I stained my hand with your butt!

Holiday
1139th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 02:07post reply

Yeah, it's really too expensive at the
moment. I'll only get it if the price drops
a lot, and that'll take maybe a year or so?
:(

So it looks like I won't be buying FFXI for
a few months, unless I just want to have a
go at offline play first...

The easiest online gaming with a console is
still the Dreamcast; at least Sega had the
foresight to include the modem with the
Dreamcast, and the price of the Hunters
License (for PSOnline v2) and the Broadband
Adapter wasn't that bad. Only the DC
Keyboard's price was a killer!

Sony should seriously consider releasing a
new PS2 bundled together with all the online
accessories at a better price, or have they
already done that?

ninjabastard
559th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 02:41:post reply

quote:
Yeah, it's really too expensive at the
moment. I'll only get it if the price drops
a lot, and that'll take maybe a year or so?
:(

So it looks like I won't be buying FFXI for
a few months, unless I just want to have a
go at offline play first...

The easiest online gaming with a console is
still the Dreamcast; at least Sega had the
foresight to include the modem with the
Dreamcast, and the price of the Hunters
License (for PSOnline v2) and the Broadband
Adapter wasn't that bad. Only the DC
Keyboard's price was a killer!

Sony should seriously consider releasing a
new PS2 bundled together with all the online
accessories at a better price, or have they
already done that?

You can get a x-box for online if you have broad band. You can already play online with some tunnel programs.

ShinAT: Most people like me gave up on Kailia. Too many assholes and too many problems. But on the plus side. I got real good at Alpha 3 and kof 98. Too bad my KOF skills are shit now. I haven't played kof in a bit. Too much CvS 2 and MvC 2.

[this message was edited by ninjabastard on Sun 19 May 02:42]

Radish
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 06:52post reply

Well, to play most online games all you need is the network adapter which is less than the cost of most games and comes with a copy of Frequency online, so it's almost a bargain.

The hard drive and server fees are only going to be required for certain games like FFXI and EQ adventures which the developers realized are going to sell less and make money in the long run.

I'm much warier of Microsoft's plans. Their proprietary network is going to scare off developers like Square, Namco and Enix who want to manage their own network without the help of a middle man. It might be good however if it turns out with Sony you have to pay for every game you play online as opposed to Microsoft's flat rate. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rid Hershel
2667th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 07:52post reply

I don't like online playing too much, spending all that money for a few hours of gameplay... mmmhhh...

YeldellGW
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 08:03post reply

I'm just getting a PS2 so I can once again enjoy my Gradius III & IV.

Variable Savior
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 08:32post reply

I'm interested in the concept of online gaming provided its done correctly. Specifically, I'm interested in playing fighting games online. The arcade scene here has died out and none of my friends play fighters so I'm really missing out on 1 on 1 competition. If they can instigate a good working system for fighting games (something like a league - maintain records, have tournaments, different kinds of special matches, the ability to write your own winquotes etc.) then I'll definitely get involved. As it is, I'm not to sure.

I've never played an online RPG and I find myself wondering if the story will suffer. RPG battles are fun but if thats all these online RPG's offer, then I'd rather try a strategy game.

The broadband access is an issue too. At this point in time I have dial up access and don't really have enough interest in games like SOCOM Navy Seals to cover the added expense of broadband. So like alot of people, I think I'm going to wait on it and see how things play out. If they can get it down to an affordable, efficient system then I'll definitely give it a shot.

Blood marks heaven's path

Tio
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 09:00post reply

quote:
Poll

hard drive 80
network adapter 40
and service 40 (probably needed to play like sega net)

which equals

160 without game or 120 without serivce.

The cost for just network games is just a tad bit too high, imo. Considering that the PS2 Net'set is about the same price as the Xbox, it'd probably be more worth the bang for the buck to get the console.

Hey Prof, you mean the initial investment for hooking up to the network, or you mean the monthly service fees?

For the former, I have to agree. The harddrive price needs to be lower... For the latter, I don't think it's too expensive.
After all, network games do eat up chunk of your time, the cost/hour ends up being quite low.

It's kinda cool how I was paying $10 a month for UO, when I was spending countless hours a month on it. like, 800-1000 hours...

Tio
-----------------------------------
Guild H/H on Asuka server

Mosquiton
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 12:18post reply

Online RPGs can be fun. It's a different experience, to put it simply. I'm getting it all to play FFXI.

:D

/ / /

Shin ATproof
426th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 12:28post reply

$ony appears to want to be in it for the money more than expanding the market(which makes no sense since Sony has basically won the System wars)...heck isn't the PS3 rumored to have Downloadable games?....god if I gotta pay more than 40 a month for that forget it....

BTW

Hey ninjabastard, Kaillera still has some pretty good competition and if you can get a decent connection it's all good...but it has been pretty crappy lately but then again...comparing those servers to the ones Capcom, Namco, Playmore, etc can provide will be a fighters heaven!...but I am not going to pay too much for it...I'd rather go to an arcade or tournament if it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get the thrill of human competition in my home.

ninjabastard
562th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Who's buying all the ps2 crap?" , posted Sun 19 May 17:50post reply

quote:
$ony appears to want to be in it for the money more than expanding the market(which makes no sense since Sony has basically won the System wars)...heck isn't the PS3 rumored to have Downloadable games?....god if I gotta pay more than 40 a month for that forget it....

BTW

Hey ninjabastard, Kaillera still has some pretty good competition and if you can get a decent connection it's all good...but it has been pretty crappy lately but then again...comparing those servers to the ones Capcom, Namco, Playmore, etc can provide will be a fighters heaven!...but I am not going to pay too much for it...I'd rather go to an arcade or tournament if it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get the thrill of human competition in my home.

Yeah I know there's still good comp left. But, after finding Golfland. I really don't see the need to spend my time playing people online when I can play people at the arcade.