[an error occurred while processing this directive] character design POLL - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

JETT
382th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"character design POLL" , posted Thu 16 May 18:33post reply

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

It was a tough one for me, since I like/need each aspect in characters, but overall I think power/weapon is best. If there is a character with a boring look but the absolute best/original power/weapon style, then I usually like them.

originality overall comes in close second. I love a character that has absolutly no other character like them in any fighting game.

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):character design POLL" , posted Thu 16 May 20:26post reply

look's gotta be the first thing i look for in a character. there really is no way i can play with a good character that i think looks crappy

please don't flame me (too harsh) for this, but in street fighter 3, i stuck with only a couple of the characters because a lot of them were just so god damn weird-looking. i later tried out all the characters and found out they were all good but ... i dunno, lots of weirdos in that game

pointystick
606th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):character design POLL" , posted Thu 16 May 21:45post reply

It's all about the 'tude for me, and it mostly manifests in their movement animation and their voice.

Dr Orochi
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):character design POLL" , posted Thu 16 May 21:50post reply

Story. Nothing else matters. Looks are superficial to me.

Dragon-warrior
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):character design POLL" , posted Thu 16 May 23:02post reply

Story!!!!

Juke Joint Jezebel
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):character design POLL" , posted Fri 17 May 00:41post reply

eek, forgot to list what goes after Look

after Look, i look for Attitude. i mean, let's look at Kyo. he's cool-looking (in my opinion), but i think he's a little cocky punk that needs to get his ass beat a couple of times to whip some sense into him. he's been a little more mature in the later kofs though

after Attitude, i look for Story. Story's pretty important if i want to care about the character more

Power/Weapon definitely is last for me. i don't care how weak the character is. if i like him/her, i'll use them. simple as that

i dunno where Originality comes in the lineup, but it's still pretty important. blatant ripoffs are not too fun to play as

Iron D
1737th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):character design POLL" , posted Fri 17 May 00:51post reply

Excellent poll, Jett.

I'm going to go with attitude, taking attitude as meaning "general personality". I love characters that are weak, that don't dress all that cool or flashy or stylish, characters with very little story...what they all have in common is that they all have endearing personality traits.

DKW
81th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):character design POLL" , posted Fri 17 May 01:19post reply

Look: I've never been so incredibly shallow as to judge by appearance. About the only thing I ask for is a little common sense. (For example, not even the most fanatical student wears a uniform every single day of her life...this means you, Sakura K! And could we please do away with those ridiculous spike heels?) Other than the really egregious examples, anything goes...I have absolutely nothing against any of the SF3 designs, for example. (Of course Twelve looks "freakish"...he's an ARTIFICAL LIFE FORM, for crying out loud!)

Power/weapon: Any kind of power, including good 'ol muscle power, is fine. Just stop pretending that any kind of fire is special. Again, any ability that Wolfgang Krauser, Mai Shiranui, Ralf, Billy Kane, Ryuji Yamazaki, and Chin-freaking-Gentsai all have is not special.

As for weaponry, two words...no guns! I swear, fighting game guns are the MOST USELESS THINGS IN EXISTENCE. The only one that's the least bit effective is Cable's, and only because he's got those Viper Beams backing it up. Swords, clubs, spears, knives, axes, even hair, anything other than a useless lump of iron about 1/100,000th as powerful as its real-life counterpart.

Story: First off, everyone deserves one. I don't care how far removed they are from the main storyline or how supposedly marginal they are. Not everyone can be Kyo Kusanagi, and even the strangest, silliest, weakest, or most improbable character has a reason for being in it.

The one absolute taboo is to never become completely wedded to a single storyline, no matter how powerful or compelling. Because once that storyline ends, the character, in effect, ceases to exist. Stories should be flexible enough that the character can stay in the game after the crown changes hands. Alternatively, make the character totally committed to a storyline, but them commit him or her to the new storyline when it arrives. E.g., the New Face Team have a place within the Nests saga; Jun Kazama finds her way to Tekken 4. (Hey, if they could bring Charlie back from the dead a bazillion times, I hardly think these are impossibilities!)

Of course, the story also should be interesting, and evolve over time (are you listening, Nina Williams?).

Attitude: Anything except "single all-consuming obsession" (boring as hell), "endless quest for the fight" (boring as hell), "rebel without any discernible cause" (boring as hell) "pretended single all-consuming obsession which is actually a cover for something else" (just plain dumb) "looks sweet and innocent but isn't" (not fooling anybody) "everything and anything for my man" (sickening beyond belief)

Originality: Always desirable; not an absolute necessity. I'm more concerned about characters standing out from the other characters within the same game/series/mythos, rather than being completely different than anything that's come before. (In my experience, these guys are really hard to play.)

homepage - http://home.hawaii.rr.com/dkwff

iggy
145th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):character design POLL" , posted Fri 17 May 02:36post reply

I hesitated between look and originality... but finally, I pick the first one. A good looking character is always fine (If you included weird/funny looking characters in it), a really original character can be quite.... ahem.... how can I tell this.... Urien and Gill.

Zazzarius
25th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):character design POLL" , posted Fri 17 May 08:52post reply

all those factors come together to form a character . . . and well . . . i think attitude is best . . . it makes characters come alive

Tashoku Kisune
760th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):character design POLL" , posted Sat 18 May 11:51post reply

quote:
Story. Nothing else matters. Looks are superficial to me.

Pisssft..

What I look for most is tought. It really depends on a whole lot of things. Nothing is ever straight forward for me. It's always one thing or another.

Looks are important.. not necessarily if a certain character looks sexy or cute or what not. I look at the particular style. It has to be good.. bad art really bothers me if it's supposed to be professional.

Story is a lot to me also. Poor stories will drive me up the way. And Originality is another big one.

Those three are the main ones that I'm concerned with in all honesty. ^_^

talbaineric
3296th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):character design POLL" , posted Sat 18 May 13:26post reply

I need look. And also originality as well. I need a lot of the qualities actually. But I'd go for look.

If they look shitty,I won't use them.(like Kevin Rian for example).

ChunliFan
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):character design POLL" , posted Sat 18 May 15:12post reply

quote:
I need look. And also originality as well. I need a lot of the qualities actually. But I'd go for look.

If they look shitty,I won't use them.(like Kevin Rian for example).

I think im an all of the abover. They can have simple desigt and a great personality or a great design and a lame personality. I think I want the complete package.

Mosquiton
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):character design POLL" , posted Sat 18 May 15:32post reply

Personally I just go for characters that strike me as being cool for whatever reason. There's not really any rhyme or reason to it.

/ / /

NARUTO
471th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):character design POLL" , posted Sun 19 May 05:28post reply

Well I think it's the look.
But the other point are important too.

Toxico
1896th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):character design POLL" , posted Sun 19 May 14:00post reply

When I like a character it is because

Looks
Storyline
Originality (looks)
Gameplay wise Originality

In that order, though the lacking of one element might destroy the "attraction" the character originaly created.

S-T-E
33th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):character design POLL" , posted Sun 19 May 16:25:post reply

i lump "looks", "weapon/power", "attitude" and "originality" in one category that i call, "cool/interesting." the character has to have some kind of balance in "cool/interesting" to make me like their visual design. can't like a character that has the coolest, original weapon, yet wears khaki's and a t-shirt and has the mind of an infant. or a character with a very cool, original outfit and acts like a bad ass, but uses say....scotch tape as a weapon. story doesn't mean much to me. i still like ryu as a character but his story is just wandering around striving to be the best fighter

[this message was edited by S-T-E on Mon 20 May 06:56]

Shin ATproof
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):character design POLL" , posted Sun 19 May 17:15post reply

Story
Look
Power
Attitude
Originality

Yup...to me a character can be cliched up the wazoo and still be cool as hell. A character can look cool but if they don't have a story to back it up then I really don't care much for them...looks is a VERY close second to story IMHO.